Defiance

Blood Affection

 

 


¦ defiance ¦

 

Leeteuk found Heechul laying carelessly upon his king sized bed, still wearing the previous night’s outfit. The duvet was sprawled chaotically, the pillows were on the floor, bed sheet was almost detached, and the lamps were still on. Leeteuk checked his watch; it was almost eleven. Heechul was a complete mess, and it was not an everyday sight for the older.

 

It was quite a doubt for Leeteuk to think that Heechul was asleep, for he never actually did. But the fact was that Heechul remained motionless, even after a few minutes of Leeteuk’s presence. One thing for sure though; he was still breathing.

 

Last night’s happening was something Leeteuk would not bother to put his nose into. He didn’t even want to know the full detail on the issue. But Heechul and Jessica fighting was definitely a first. They might seem less affectionate towards each other, but people say that there’s always something more than meets the eyes. The same went perfectly with them, and Leeteuk was utterly aware of that. Heechul had always been faithful, and so was Jessica, so everything that happened was a shock to everyone.

 

Such a wonder how news spread so fast.

 

Leeteuk had been standing by the window for almost ten minutes already and Heechul still didn’t give any indication that he noticed him; still laying helplessly with his front on the mattress. The older took a few steps closer, but to his own displeasure Heechul was still not aware of him. But Leeteuk saw something; Heechul was staring at his phone which he was holding on his side. What a sight. Kim Heechul was staring at his girlfriend’s number, but didn’t have enough courage to dial it.

 

The slightly older took another step and he was only inches away from the bed side, but the laying man was still oblivious. This wouldn’t do.

 

“Chul-ah,” Leeteuk called in a low and small almost whisper voice.

 

Nevertheless, Heechul was still surprised by the sudden voice and turned his body abruptly. “Oh, ,” he said as he stared at Leeteuk with widened eyes and one hand clutching his chest. Something that made Leeteuk held back his laughter. “Can’t you just use the door like a normal person?”

 

Leeteuk finally gave an amused smile, a really wide one. “I’m not a normal person. Besides,” he said as he walked round the bed and reached for the armchair. “You do that all the time to me. And your window was open,” his smile didn’t fade.

 

Heechul ignored the mocking grin and crashed his body to the bed, this time he pulled the duvet and covered his face. He was completely not in the mood to talk or to have any company.

 

“Why don’t you call her?” Leeteuk asked after a few moments of quietness, his face back to its normal expression.

 

“You think I haven’t?” Heechul retorted. Obviously he was a bit piqued by Leeteuk’s question. “I called twenty-five times for the past hour and none was returned,” he mumbled from under the pale duvet.

 

It was Saturday and it meant Jessica had no class at all. Leeteuk still didn’t want to put his nose into the problem so he didn’t ask any further question regarding the matter. He wasn’t there for that anyway.

 

“You’re presence were unknown for more than a week, Chul. Where have you been?” Leetuk’s tone was quite impelling.

 

Heechul didn’t move a bit. The model even pressed the duvet tighter to his pretty face. Leeteuk knew right away that there was something else aside from the tension between Heechul with Jessica, and he aimed to dig it out. “Kibum told me you’ve been in China?” Leeteuk said more in a questioning manner.

 

Finally Heechul moved out of the duvet. “Aish! That rascal betraying son of a…” obviously he was not happy with the fact that his brother had told Leeteuk something he shouldn’t have. He finally decided to face Leeteuk, since he knew the slightly older definitely wouldn’t let this go. “Yes, I was in China for a couple days,” he said after sitting himself up. “I’m a grown man, Teuk, I can travel anywhere I want. And since when did you become considerate of me?”

 

“I have always been considerate of you,” Leeteuk said in a matter-of-factly, which completely shivered Heechul’s spine thanks to the cheesiness. Nonetheless, the affection was still sincere. “It is not you to disappear for days and not telling anybody.”

 

Heechul tore his gaze away from his friend. “Yeah, well… I just needed some time alone.”

 

“Alone from what?” Leeteuk urged. He knew Heechul was trying to avoid his gaze and he was still not telling him everything. “What did you do in China?” he asked again, still trying to figure things out.

 

Heechul still didn’t look back to Leeteuk, instead he laid down again and crossed his arms on his face, he then exhaled loudly.

 

Something was bothering Heechul’s mind, Leeteuk could feel it. He just knew him too well to ignore the obvious deceit the younger was trying to put. Something was eating him and it wasn’t something trivial. Something told him it had something to do with Jessica. But the guy was just holding everything back, like he didn’t want anybody to know. “What happened in China, Chul? Tell me.”

 

Heechul shifted again, feeling slightly uneasy, still covering his face with his arms. “Nothing, Leeteuk. Nothing I can’t handle, it’s just work.”

 

Work. Leeteuk wasn’t convinced by that. “It’s about her, isn’t it?”

 

Heechul chuckled at the question. Frankly, he wasn’t even sure if it was a question or a statement. “What, now you can read minds?”

 

Leeteuk’s mind travelled back to the scene at the club the prior night. There must be a definite reason as to why Heechul almost ed with some low life e, whom Leeteuk was sure would receive even the lowest fee from an elite like Heechul. Heechul was a very prudent man despite his eccentric attitude, if he ever wanted to find some satisfaction for his desire, he wouldn’t even dare to cross the line by turning to some cheap callgirl.

 

The blonde man got up from his seat and approached the bed. He stood next to Heechul’s dangling foot with his arms crossed on his chest. The smell of alcohol became stronger each step he took closer to Heechul’s being. “I can understand if you are having a hard time with Sica. But what was with drinking a dirty blood?” Leeteuk asked. “And to do it at the back of the club, have you lost your discretion?”

 

There was a bit of a long pause in the room. Neither was making a move nor making a sound. Somehow Leeteuk sensed the uneasiness in Heechul. It seemed like he was struggling to arrange the perfect words to make the perfect reason. Leeteuk stood still when Heechul shifted his body and rolled over to lay on his stomach, clearly trying to avoid Leeteuk’s stare.

 

“I’m weakening, Teuk, I needed it. Animal blood solely just wasn’t enough.”

 

“Well if you needed it so bad why didn’t you just go to Sungmin?”

 

Heechul scoffed and almost laugh at the mention of the name. “You know me very well, Leeteuk. I would never go to that pretty boy even if I was dying.”

 

The pride had taken over. Leeteuk really wondered when the two would learn to treat each other well. If one was willing to do good, the other was reluctant to accept it. And it had been like that since the first time they knew each other. “Be careful what you wish for,” Leeteuk reprimanded.

 

“Look, I couldn’t care less about it. I just felt really stupid for being so impulsive, and to think that I made Sica cry.” Repentance was evident on Heechul’s voice. He couldn’t help but brood over his own turmoil. Having Jessica away from his reach was completely poignant for him. But what had done was done.

 

“Don’t you have somewhere else to be? I really don’t need your admonishment right now, Teuk.”

 

Leeteuk could just laugh on that. At least the Heechul he knew was back, though maybe he was still far from okay. But Heechul was right; he did have to be somewhere and he was quite looking forward to it. He had his own business to take care of so without any further unnecessary words, he walked to the door and was about to leave.

 

“You’re meeting her?” Heechul’s muffled voice was heard when Leeteuk was a meter away from the door. “Ah, yes. You haven’t told me about her. How is everything going?”

 

Leeteuk turned around to face Heechul’s back from afar. “It worked and she’s fine,” he left the sentence hanging.

 

“But?” Heechul said almost in a mocking tone. When Leeteuk didn’t answer, Heechul continued, “I really don’t want to be a to you but—I told you so?” Heechul then got up and faced Leeteuk whose hand was already on the door knob. “You can’t force her to want you again, Teuk.”

 

A sad smile was plastered on Leeteuk’s tanned face. “I’m not going to force her, I’m going to make her,” Leeteuk said as he turned the knob and head out of the room. “And stop getting inside my head.”

 

“I won’t stop because I can!” Heechul’s shouting was obscured by the wooden door, and Leeteuk just smiled to that.

 

 

 



 

 

 

Nervous, was an underwhelming state. Leeteuk definitely was far beyond anxious to see Taeyeon. What’s more was that Taeyeon was the one who wanted to see him. But he didn’t really want to set his hope high, because honestly, he didn’t feel like everything would go as he wanted. However, he still hoped for the best.

 

He decided that he needed to be a normal person for once. He didn’t want to bestow his not so undisclosed distinctiveness on Taeyeon’s state of mind—all those vampire stuffs—so he decided to take his car with him, which then unveiled his number one aversion; traffic. Minutes actually felt like hours for him as he impatiently tapped his fingers on the steering wheel.

 

The fact that he was five minutes early was a bit relieving and eased Leeteuk’s uneasiness a bit. At least he had five minutes to get a grip on himself. He just couldn’t understand why he was being like this; like a school boy on a first date. He was not normally like this. But oddly, all this agitation he felt wasn’t a pleasant one, more like suspense for him. Somehow he expected something not quite good.

 

The bell above the door chimed and a petite lovely looking girl entered the café. She caught sight with him immediately and Leeteuk involuntarily slip out a sincere smile for her, which was then returned with the same amount of veracity.

 

Taeyeon was very picturesque wearing a dress that lingered perfectly on her small figure. It was a bit gawky the moment Taeyeon was steps away from the table Leeteuk occupied. She finally stopped adjacent to the chair across Leeteuk. Both of them exchanged a very awkward bow towards each other. Awkward because they weren’t really sure where to put themselves; they were really close but that was ages ago, and now they knew they had to start from point zero.

 

“Please, take a seat,” Leeteuk addressed in a formal way. “Would you like to order anything? It’s on me,” Leeteuk smiled.

 

“Anything you’re having, please,” Taeyeon said in a soft voice.

 

Leeteuk then called for the waitress and ordered two glasses of iced tea.

 

They kept silent for who knew how long until the waitress came back with their drinks. Neither Taeyeon nor Leeteuk was making a contact during the waiting. Leeteuk just stared at Taeyeon while the other was fidgeting her fingers on her lap, just as nervous as him. He wanted to talk but couldn’t predict what better words to say.

 

Finally Leeteuk formed the courage inside him and broke all the awkwardness. “You look lovely today.”

 

Taeyeon lifted her head and met Leeteuk’s eyes; the tint of pink shade on her cheeks was inevitable and was too palpable. “Thank you… umm… you too…” she faltered.

 

“Do you mind if…” Leeteuk shifted on his chair, feeling a bit unsure. “…if we drop the formality? I mean, I know it’s strange for us to go back like we used to, so I’m asking.” He curved a sweet smile on his face, letting his dimple visible.

 

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Taeyeon nodded, though she spoke in a very soft voice.

 

“You can call me oppa if you like.”

 

Taeyeon nodded and hummed.

 

Silence fell again. Seconds developed into minutes, and Taeyeon was still not saying a thing, occasionally playing the ice on her glass with the straw.

 

She actually had things on her mind to ask and discuss with Leeteuk, but she just couldn’t bring herself to speak them out. It had been years since she last talked with him, she couldn’t even remember the last conversation they had.

 

Leeteuk’s presence wasn’t intimidating, unlike what she expected, considering the incident she had with Sunny and all the elucidations Sungmin gave her a few days prior. In fact, Leeteuk’s aura was kind of comforting and, oddly, warm. Even though this wasn’t the Jungsoo she knew when she was younger, she hoped part of him was still the old oppa she really adored back then.

 

“So,” Leeteuk finally said after what felt like eternity for him. “I understand that you must have come here for a reason, Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon dared herself to stare back at Leeteuk. She nodded. “Yes, I do.” She played with the dampened wooden table in front of her, slightly feeling apprehensive. “To be honest, I have lots of them and I don’t even know where to start.”

 

Smiling in amusement. Leeteuk wasn’t sure if it was the right thing to do, smiling; his non-beating heart was still anxious. “Why not start with the thing that is bugging you the most?” Leetuek suggested

 

Taeyeon accepted the idea. “I—“ she stuttered. “I honestly would like to know what happened the day after your father jinxed my memory.” Taeyeon said with determined eyes.

 

What happened back then? Leeteuk himself wasn’t sure if he wanted to remember that day. That day was very ailing. But surely Taeyeon didn’t need to know Leeteuk’s devastation; he could just save the details for himself.

 

“My father spoke to your parents and your grandparents. Your grandmother then suggested you to be dissociated from me, in particular. That was why you moved to Australia.” Leeteuk explained as he looked down to his glass.

 

“What about you?”

 

What about me? Taeyeon’s bit of concern was heartwarming for Leeteuk. She never changed after all those years. She was the old Taeng he knew years ago. “I… was… I survived,” he chuckled. “Father was outraged, furious, frantic even. But it was nothing I couldn’t endure.”

 

“Did he get violent?” Taeyeon asked in a high and surprised tone.

 

A wider smile was drawn on Leeteuk’s dimpled face. “You remember,” he mumbled, loud enough for Taeyeon to hear.

 

Another trace of rose hue stained Taeyeon’s cheeks. “Well, yeah, I guess you told me long time ago that your father tends to get abusive whenever he is angry.”

 

Gratification was what Leeteuk felt. The fact that Taeyeon remembered small tiny detail about him was a mirth for him. “Yes, he was,” Leeteuk said with a smile on his lips, which made Taeyeon blush even more. “Until he got a wheelchair for him after a car accident.”

 

“Oh,” Taeyeon gaped at Leeteuk. “I’m so sorry.”

 

“It’s okay. He’s still the old him, though. Doesn’t change a bit,” Leeteuk half-heartedly laughed. “Anyway, he made really sure that you couldn’t trace your past back to me. He changed my name, changed my little sister’s name…”

 

“Ah, how’s Sunyeong doing?”

 

“She’s great. She’s graduating high school next year.”

 

“Hmm,” Taeyeon hummed in contentment. She unconsciously smiled remembering little Sunyeong who always tried to tag along inside Leeteuk’s and her little world, which always ended up Leeteuk yelling at her and Taeyeon defending her.

 

“I miss it, Taeng,” Leeteuk disrupted her train of thoughts.

 

“Honestly speaking, I can’t really say I don’t miss it.” But Taeyeon’s face showed anything but pleasure. Though the call of her nickname sounded so dear coming out of Jungsoo.

 

Leeteuk couldn’t deny the sight of Taeyeon’s frown. She was deeply thinking about something. Deeply worrying something. Agitation came back to Leeteuk’s once relaxed being. He was contemplating any possible reason of Taeyeon’s uncertainties. The frown had gotten deeper each seconds passing by as she fidgeted her fingers yet again, this time on top of the table, visible enough for Leeteuk to notice.

 

“What is it?” Leeteuk said, instinctively drew a frown on him too.

 

Taeyeon was still battling with her inner thoughts. She was worried, scared even. But she wasn’t worrying herself, it was Jungsoo whom she was concerned about. The old Park was not a cordial and affable type of man, Taeyeon was aware of that. Leeteuk just told her himself that he figuratively got beaten after the careless thing he did. What more would he get for actually making her remember everything; details that a mortal like her shouldn’t have a clue.

 

A small but audible sigh escaped her lips. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Anything.”

 

Another sigh was heard, and Taeyeon stabilize her gaze on Leeteuk’s dark one. “Why?”

 

Why? Leeteuk slightly crooked his head to the side, trying to decipher Taeyeon’s question. And when he still didn’t have an idea, Taeyeon enlightened it for him.

 

“Why did you make me remember?”

 

Taeyeon’s face was unreadable. Why? Isn’t it obvious?

 

It was as though Taeyeon left part of her memories behind. Memories she had with him; all the good old times. It was as though they didn’t share the mutual feelings years ago. It was as though Leeteuk’s feelings were unwelcomed. Heechul was right. Probably. But he still hated it. ‘It might hurt her, Teuk. You never know if she wants to remember everything or not.’ Heechul’s counsel was ringing clearly in Leeteuk’s head.

 

He didn’t know what Taeyeon truly felt about him right now. Was it a mistake bringing her to his life again? No, it wasn’t. He knew it wasn’t. He just needed more time to convince her again, to show her what they used to have, what they used to share.

 

“You mean so much to me, Taeng…” Leeteuk trailed.

 

Taeyeon was left speechless. She didn’t know what to say. She narrowed her eyes on Leeteuk’s and crossed her eyebrows tightly.

 

Such a huge revelation, and she wasn’t expecting anything close to that. Right, this just confound every pieces of her thoughts. Did she feel the same? What was Jungsoo to her? Jungsoo was her favorite oppa, her someone to lean on, the brother she never had, her someone she could hang on to. But Leeteuk? She barely knew him. Yet he made such an admission.

 

“Do you know why I built this shop here?” Leeteuk interrupted Taeyeon’s deep thoughts again.

 

Taeyeon looked around the coffee shop briefly, momentarily forgetting that the man in front of her actually owned the place. She laid her gaze back to the blonde guy in front of him. Though she wasn’t saying it but she did want to know.

 

“This place used to be a playground,” Leeteuk explained. “One that you and I used to play almost every day when we were kids.”

 

Flash of images past Taeyeon’s mind.

 

 

 

 

This , oppa.

                 What is?

Homeworks.

                Homeworks?

Uh-huh. The teachers are awfully inconsiderate.

                 Trust me, it’s nothing compared to college.

Pfft, I bet you’re having fun with Heechul oppa in college.

                 Not really, no.

……

               Except for the girls maybe

......

               Heechul and I love the view.

The view of girls?

   Uh-huh.

……

            I’m kidding, sweetie. Don’t be mad.

……

          Taeng~

Such a wolf.

 

 

 

 

 

“We loved to spend times here even until I entered college,” Leeteuk’s voice interrupted everything.

 

Taeyeon did not know how to respond. Too much. Everything was still too much. Or maybe she was just afraid and concerned. Again, the thought of Jungsoo disobeying his father yet again sent fear all over her. What would happen to him?

 

“Oppa,” Taeyeon trailed before a sigh. She stood up from her seat tentatively and grabbed her clutch with her. “I appreciate you for accepting my invitation this afternoon.”

 

Leeteuk reflexively got up from his chair too with a long face. She mustn’t leave. She shouldn’t leave. Was he going too fast? Was he being coercive? Where did he go wrong? He walked round the table and neared Taeyeon who stood with a frowning face, thanking whatever force there was for making her remain in her place.

 

“I know your father,” Taeyeon started again. “I’m not quite sure if it’s a wise thing for us to… to bond again. I mean, I’m really glad to have remembered you and every sweet moments we had. But I just don’t want you to experience your father’s rage again.”

 

There. Leeteuk saw the doubt and hesitation in Taeyeon’s glistening eyes. Why was she saying all of this if she didn’t really mean it?

 

“Just try to obey your father and the elders and save yourself a wrath. Try not to get yourself into some more troubles, especially anything regarding me.” Taeyeon’s voice was somehow hoarse and shaky.

 

Leeteuk wanted to revolt but he couldn’t. What Taeyeon did to him. She charmed him, she silenced him, she made him capitulate, which he completely did as of the moment. He couldn’t argue. He just stood there and stared and tried to understand. But he couldn’t. It was like he didn’t want to go against her words.

 

“Goodbye.” In one swift movement, Taeyeon gave a brief yet tight and warm hug. Too brief that Leeteuk didn’t have the chance to respond. And before he knew it Taeyeon left him standing in silence inside the white surrounding.

 

Leeteuk followed Taeyeon with his gaze and watched as she crawled inside her car. The last time she made him leave, this time she left on her own. And Leeteuk didn’t do anything to go after her or at least deny everything she had said, because he knew Taeyeon wouldn’t want that. Really. What she did to him.

 

But one thing he was sure of; Taeyeon said all of those things with a heavy heart. She didn’t mean all of those truly. She was just scared. She was just overthinking the things that Leeteuk knew he already got under control. He was no longer afraid of his father, and screw the elders. All he wanted was Taeyeon. Perhaps she was just too confused to realize it all. Perhaps Leeteuk was in fact coercing a little too much to her.

 

No. He needed to make his chance again. He would get what he wanted. He would make Taeyeon understand.

 

 

 

 

 

to be continued~

 

 

 

a/n:

hi! so sorry for the late update. i've  been busy for a while...

let me know what do you think of the story so far?

too slow? too short of a chap? too long? boring?

i'd be more than glad to hear from you ^^

thanks for reading!! *smooch