Chapter 5 ; My time with Dongwoo

Before my time runs out

I'm a bad person cause I lied yeah bad author and friend. An evil maknae too who bullies my unnie. X.X Whatever. Enjoy :)


Third month.

"What do I do with the kids, Dongwoo-ah." Sunggyu sat on the bed and thought hardly while the Kenya boy sat beside him and ate the bag of chips. The sound of the crunching chips resonated through the silent room.

Looking at Dongwoo, Sunggyu gets even more worried. He's dying. Dying. But Dongwoo doesn't seem to care a single bit, he just sits there and eats the chips. It seems like the chips are more important than Sunggyu. Sunggyu can't stand the crunching noises of the chips so he switched on the television.

To be honest, Sunggyu can't really focus much on television. His vision would always get blurry. He couldn't even read his favorite books without shaking his head to clear his eyes for a hundred times or so.

Music Bank was broadcasting the previous years winner and Infinite just happened to be one of them. They had won triple crown with The Chaser on 14 June . How ironic. The last month when Sunggyu had to leave, just happen to fall in June too. It's just a matter of which day is it.

"Yah. I'm asking you a question here." Sunggyu nudges him.

"Why are you asking me? Hyung, you're the leader." Dongwoo didn't even look away from the television. 'When will this guy... Aish...' Sunggyu curses in his mind.

"Yah! Be serious!" Sunggyu slaps Dongwoo on his arm, "Hyung! I'm serious!" Dongwoo retorted, still not having any eye contact.

"Sungjong and Sungyeol are worrying me. They... Don't seem fine on their own." Sunggyu poured his worries to Dongwoo. After all, this Kenya guy is still the second oldest.

"Eh~ They'll be fine." Dongwoo turned a bit and said with a big smile on his face. "You'll be back to look after them, so there's nothing to worry." Dongwoo added.

'Not even you... Dongwoo.' Sunggyu frowned.

"Dongwoo-ah. Don't be like them too." Sunggyu looked away when Dongwoo turned and looked at him instead.

"What did they do?" Dongwoo asks innocently, sometimes, Dongwoo is just so simple minded. Sunggyu sighs loudly. As loudly as he could, just to catch Dongwoo's attention since Dongwoo had pretty much ignored him even before SNSD came on stage.

"Hyung. Just speak. I'm listening." Dongwoo eyes were fixed. Fixed. On the screen.

"I give up. I'm going to sleep. I'm tired." Sunggyu said and covers his head with a pillow.

"Hyung, I'm really listening." Dongwoo sounded sincere. Sunggyu didn't remove the pillow but he started talking anyway, not knowing that Dongwoo had actually turned to face him.

"You and Howon must do well in the promotions of your second Infinite H album." Sunggyu speaks.

"Make the members proud when I can no longer do so. I debuted as a solo artist earlier than Woohyun and Myungsoo did. So they must be having a hard time now." Dongwoo nods even though Sunggyu can't see it.

"I know the hardship of facing everything alone instead of having 6 brothers by your side. You and Howon have each other, but the two are often alone and busy with their own schedules. Myungsoo has been alone for quite some time because of his drama. But Woohyun. I'm worried about him." Sunggyu pauses for a moment.

"Woohyun doesn't know how to take good care of himself. That boy, really will be the death of me sometimes. Once he gets busy, he don't take his meals and don't get enough sleep. Dongwoo-ah, please take good care of him for me when I'm gone. Make sure he eats his meals on time, it doesn't need to be full meals, but please just make him eat a little so that he won't have gastric pain. Stay by his side if he's sick. He doesn't like being alone. So please stay by him no matter what happens in future when I'm not with you guys. But please don't neglect the other members too."

"I won't." Dongwoo answered. Sunggyu couldn't see his expression, so he continued talking.

"Howon. He is quiet at times, so you must make him talk more. It's easy to see when he is feeling down. So use your funny personality to cheer him up. You guys are a group now, so he must rely on you more than anyone else. Make sure he has his IPad charged so that he could play all his hip-hop songs when he sleeps. He won't be able to sleep well without those songs playing through the night. Make sure you guys practice hard but at the same time, don't push yourself to the limit. It's not that good to get injured so young."

Dongwoo nods.

"Sungyeol. He never grows up, does he? Playing pranks all around the dorm. He doesn't even let us off when we finally have a day rest. But Dongwoo-ah, make sure his pranks don't get carried too far away. He's also a troublesome guy at times. Give him some advice when he is buying things on the web. He buys useless things at times. So, take good care of him. Give him confidence whenever he's singing. It's been years but he still thinks he can't sing. I seriously don't know what's wrong with him. So boost his confidence up by encouraging him non-stop, even a nod and a small smile can change his confidence level. That's how simple he is."

Without waiting for any response, Sunggyu continues his talk.

"Myungsoo. Make sure he gets his sleep. Don't let him stay up too much. Also, make sure he takes good pictures and not things like our feet or our face with sweats and make-up all ruined. I would like to film an Infinite parody like that one in our Evolution concert. Do you know how excited I was when I had that one line, 'Isn't that guy's voice cheap?' , I really loved his expression. That kid really does get obsessed with something when he really loves it so please help him control his obsession. No matter with food or clothes. Please try to make him wear other colors other than black. He'll look good in other clothes even though I'm the one who said he don't look good in any clothes in Ranking King. So, I'll rely on you to take care of him also."

"Hyung, please... Don't go on anymore." Dongwoo finally spoke. Sunggyu ignored him just like what he did and started on the next member.

"Sungjongie. Ah... This maknae. He worries me the most. Yes, he may be brave and all strong in front of the camera. But he is still young and hasn't gone through a lot of things. Please make sure he grows up strong to face difficulties in life. I can't be there for him as Gyu hyung anymore. He can't come knocking on the door looking for Gyu hyung just because he had a nightmare, because... I wouldn't be able to hug and calm him even if I wanted to. So please replace my Gyu hyung's place and be the pillar in his life until he is strong enough. One last thing, please fix his bear when you see it's torn. He wouldn't say anything to us even when it's spoiled, so be more attentive towards this maknae. Clean his room too, make sure he doesn't hide snacks around the room."

Sunggyu finally stopped. What had been weighing on his mind was finally out.

"What about me?" Dongwoo finally asked after a while. There has been a silence between the both of them and the only thing that was making a sound was the television playing Teen Top's Crazy.

"So, you know how to ask?" Sunggyu smiled in to the pillow.

"Dongwoo-yah. I expect you to be stronger than all of them when I am out of your lives." Sunggyu said. Hearing Sunggyu start on him, Dongwoo switched off the television.

"You're the oldest once I'm gone. I know you haven't been a leader before, so you'd probably be stressed out at first. Don't worry too much, I came through that way before I was the leader gyu of you kids. Just remember that no matter how stress and tired you are, there are 5 more people with you. They are your brothers and members. You guys have been together for a long time, so no matter what happens, they won't leave you alone like any strangers do, because you guys already have a bond formed. Gyu hyung is sorry for not being able to stand by your side anymore. I'm sorry that I am going to leave you with the heavy burden of 5 kids. All of them are still young, so there are times where they will be stubborn and don't listen well. But it'll be over as fast as it started. Please hold on and take care of these kids for me. Hyung is sorry for breaking the promise of staying by Infinite's side forever. Dongwoo-ah, mianhe. I rely on you to take care of them now. So please, just for me, don't give up on your dreams even if I'm not with Infinite anymore. We came together because of the same dreams, so don't let go of your dreams just because hyung broke my promise. Make sure the kids know this too. Because... I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to repeat this to everyone of them. Your health is just as important as any of them, so make sure you eat well and rest well too. Don't tire yourself out like what I always did. The nickname grandpa gyu only belongs to Kim Sunggyu and none other than me. "

There. The long speech ended. Dongwoo was crying like nobody business. Tear after tear roll down his face. His sobs was the only thing heard in the room.

"What am I supposed to do when even I think I can't continue anymore? Who am I supposed to look for when I think I can't make it anymore? They can look for me, but I can't look for Gyu hyung. Because... Hyung wouldn't be here anymore for me. Why? Why must you break your promise? Why must you lie to me and say that you will recover? Why did you tell me that you are going to leave me? You know I wasn't ready for all this! Why couldn't you wait a while longer? Maybe just a month more. Just a month for you to teach me how to handle the rest, a month for me to be prepared that you are walking out of my life... I... I..." Dongwoo had already stood up and was hitting the wall with his fist.

"Why are you doing this to me? Throwing me all the things all at once. What am I going to do? I don't know anything hyung! How long did it took for you to know us this well? How could you just say a few sentence and make me take care of 5 kids that are barely younger than me? I would die without you don't you know that? All of us would die without you!" Dongwoo sank to the ground.

"Do you think I wanted to leave you guys? Do you know how painful it is, to tell Sungyeol and Sungjong that I'll never leave them? Do you know how I feel to suddenly stop being the leader of Infinite? Do you think I don't want more time with all of you? But what can I do? God says that I am left with 6 months. Just half a year, barely enough for me to finish my job and hand things over to you nicely. Just barely enough... Barely enough time for me to tell you guys how grateful I am to have you 6 in my life. But my time is limited! What can I do? How much courage does it takes to accept that I was dying soon? Do you think I wanted to be this irresponsible and dump everything to you? I'm tired Dongwoo. Who do you think I am holding on for? It's for the 6 of you... I'm... really really tired." Sunggyu muffled sobs were also heard.

The room was engulfed in nothing but sobs and sniffles.

"I'm sorry... Hyung is really sorry. I'm really sorry for being like this. Except for sorry, I have nothing else to say. I know it's too much for you right now. So I'll be here till you are ready. This, I can promise you. Because you are the only dongsaeng I can rely on now..."

Just like this, no more words was exchanged. Dongwoo cleaned his face after hours and cleaned Sunggyu's face too. Sunggyu had fallen asleep after crying.

It was the first time he had released everything out ever since he got his results. He did cry. But not in this way. He didn't tell the others how tired he was. He didn't let them know how agonizing it is to leave them. He never let his real emotions came out like what he did today, because he was worried if he did, the others wouldn't be able to handle it. It was too much for them.

Dongwoo went to cook dinner for them. He then brought the food back to the room. Because just days ago, he found out that Sunggyu's condition has worsened and he wasn't able to walk like usual anymore.

He fed Sunggyu his food even though Sunggyu had insisted he can feed himself.

"Hyung, please let me take care of you. Please for now, please be just Sunggyu. Not my hyung or Infinite's leader. Just Kim Sunggyu. The 25 year old guy who is sick now. Let me take good care of you when I still have the chance now. I don't want to regret later why I didn't treat you better when I still could." Dongwoo squeezed Sunggyu's hand that was on his own wrist, stopping Dongwoo from feeding him. The grip loosens and Sunggyu obediently open his mouths when Dongwoo says 'Ah'.

One day in the last week

"Jang Dongwoo!" Sunggyu screamed the top of his voice, waking the rapper who was still in deep sleep.

Dongwoo opened his eyes and then looked at his body, maybe checking if his muscles are still there, Sunggyu thought, but what was important was that Sunggyu was hungry and Dongwoo was the one who said he would take care of him.

Dongwoo went back to sleep again, totally ignoring the presence of the poor hungry hamster.

"Yah! Sungyeollie and Sungjongie didn't even let me starve and you! You this Kenyan man, get your up and cook for me you punk!" Sunggyu was fuming mad.

One thing that was never wise to do was to let that grumpy old man get angry. Because the next thing Dongwoo knew, he was on the cold hard floor of Sunggyu's room groaning in pain.

"Yah... Kim Myungsoo!" Dongwoo didn't even open his eyes.

"I'm Kim Sunggyu, not Kim Myungsoo! You idiot!" Sunggyu snapped.

"Hyung... Why did you kick me down the bed?" Dongwoo asked, finally opening his eyes and sat on the floor rubbing his elbow which probably landed first.

"Jang Dongwoo. I want my food, you hear me? Food." Sunggyu emphasized the last word. Dongwoo stood up and got back in to bed.

"Let me sleep more. No schedules now, more sleep." Dongwoo grumbled.

"Aish... Jang Dongwoo, don't make me call the others here. They will skin you out of your dinosaur skin alive, arrachi?" Sunggyu hissed. Dongwoo shot up at Sunggyu's threatening of calling the other members.

They are not in an especially good mood when they wake up, then if they hear Jang Dongwoo is starving Kim Sunggyu just because he wanted to sleep, the rest would literally fly all the way here.

"Nae hyung. Arrasso. I'm up now. What do you want to eat, my dear hamster hyung?" Dongwoo joked, earning a hard hit on his arm.

"Just cook something nice now. Don't make me even angrier Jang. Dongwoo." the name was spread with venom all over it, sending chills down the spine of Dongwoo's back.

"N-nae. I'll go now." he quickly scrambled out of the room.

20 minutes later, he came in with a bowl of rice with omelette and kimchi soup.

Sunggyu happily ate his breakfast on the bed. "Ah~ I'm so full." Sunggyu cheered.

"I'm starved." Dongwoo said pitifully, "It's your own fault. Don't look at me in this way." Sunggyu coldly said.

"Aey, this hyung sure is heartless at times." Dongwoo complains and went out of the room, taking along the bowl and the omelette plate.

"Jang Dongwoo Jang Dongwoo. I just told you to take care of yourself yesterday." Sunggyu sighed.

Dongwoo stood outside the room, blinking back his tears. He forgotten to take the plate of kimchi out when he went out, and he was once again, reminded with the fact that his gyu hyung was dying.

'What will my life be like when hyung is not here anymore...' he walked back to the kitchen, not caring about the aim of his coming already.

He didn't want Sunggyu to see him crying anymore.

Just like this, Sunggyu woke Dongwoo up almost every morning in that manner.

The fact was Dongwoo woke up way before Sunggyu did. He would wake up early in the morning and cook the breakfast, leaving it in the microwave and go back to bed and pretend to be asleep, letting Sunggyu scream and shout at him. Then when Sunggyu starts threatening him with his favorites, he would then go to the kitchen and heat up all the food with tears streaming down his face.

'Why can't time be longer? I'm going to miss being waken up like this every morning. I'm going to miss that voice and that face... I'm just going to miss Gyu hyung so much that I think I will die some day...' Dongwoo cleaned his face and took the breakfast.

Kim Sunggyu has 3 months left.


Okay, you can kill me now. X.X Was this extra sad? Cause I was sad too since I was a bad person making you all cry Xp