Chapter 14 ; Nam Woohyun's letter

Before my time runs out

Woohyun couldn't actually count how many times had he been going through Sunggyu's belongings even though they were the same no matter how many times he had gone through.

Sunggyu's parents took away what they had felt was important to them and left most of other Sunggyu's belongings there for the members.

For some day if they feel tired and couldn't cope with their idol life anymore, they hoped that Sunggyu would still be able to play a part and helped them through their hard times even though he was not there anymore.

They thought, Sunggyu would have also wanted to help them, given his character,  he wouldn't be able to throw s and brothers aside.

"We are not taking these away." Sunggyu's mother said to Dongwoo as she only held a box in her hand.

Dongwoo looked at her, surprised.

"We're leaving all that for you guys. Just in case, you all miss him, there will still be something for you." was what his father told them when Sunggyu's mother started crying again.

Dongwoo nodded and bowed gratefully at them, while Woohyun stood aside and watched.

Woohyun had even thought of killing himself when it got really hard during the first week. Every member spent their time in their own world, ignoring one another even if they met each other in the kitchen.

Woohyun needed someone, in fact, he needed Sunggyu. He needed Sunggyu to be there, beside him and tell him, everything's going to be fine after a while, like when he found recording Immortal Song too stressful because of all the strong vocals.

Woohyun lost his confidence for a period and Sunggyu was there during that time, Sunggyu was the one who told him, "Losing doesn't mean you are not giving it your best, Woohyunnie. Losing simply means luck is not on your side, you are still lacking in some places you still don't know yet. Nobody will get to know their mistakes once and for all, Woohyun. You have to try. Humans make mistakes to change for the better. I know my Woohyunnie is not one to give up so easily. Next week, Woohyun will win, because I will be cheering for you." Sunggyu hugged him tightly.

Woohyun once said, "A Kim Sunggyu without me is like a spoon without chopsticks, a needle without string."

How wrong was he to think of that.

Instead, it should be, "A Nam Woohyun without Sunggyu, is like fish without water, human without air."

Woohyun was that close to pressing the blade on his wrist, the place where Sunggyu used to pull whenever Woohyun was strolling slowly at the back of the group doing fan services. But he gave up. Not because he was afraid of pain. Not that he did not have the courage to press and pull it across his skin.

It's just that, he didn't know how to face Sunggyu when he really did see him. What should he say to Sunggyu?

He would have loved that the blade is pressing on his wrist, bits of blood came out because he pressed too hard. So that when he pulls it across his skin, he would feel something, pain. Something that will tell his dead mind, "Nam Woohyun, you are still alive. You are still feeling something."

Woohyun was like a walking dead.  He couldn't feel anything, pain from losing his leader seem to have vanished, the pain in other member's crying didn't seem to reach his cold heart, the way Dongwoo held him tightly also didn't work as well, it all just seem to him like he was being held still, the warmth that was supposed to be there, is gone.

Being the last member, Woohyun knew how much Sunggyu didn't want to leave. Sunggyu could have left him in the first week, when he was worn out just by sitting and watching the television.

But Sunggyu did not. He woke up every morning, he smiles weakly at Woohyun when Woohyun says something funny. He blinks as an answer to Woohyun's questions and sometimes even rolls his eyes at his greasy actions.

Even when all of them slept together in the living room, all Woohyun could do was staying awake, assuring himself that these guys are not going to leave anymore until he fell asleep slowly.

Woohyun has asked for schedules to go. He wanted to go out and work. He wanted to feel so tired that once he is free, he can go to sleep straight away. And so, the manager agreed to give him some. But he failed when he met his friends.

They looked at him, not knowing what to say. On shows, when the MCs was going to say Sunggyu's name, Woohyun found it hard to hold his tears. When the others spoke to him, "Sunggyu," was a trigger to his tears. He would start crying and wouldn't be able to stop.

Woohyun stared in to space, wondering how had he actually went through those times, how his eyes are actually still working so fine with those tears he shed.

He got up and open Sunggyu's drawer. He dug through the clothes and took out the red envelope. There were many times, he was so close to tearing the letter open and read its contents, but his mind didn't allow him to. His hand would shake so much that he didn't have the strength to hold it.

'Should I read this alone?' Woohyun thought. He knew how the members who read alone broke down. Did he really want to experience that?

Stepping out of his and Sunggyu's room, Woohyun noticed that the dorm is empty except for the soft music flowing from Howon's room.

"Howon." Woohyun went in and saw the said guy on his bed, pencil in his hand and scribbling on his notebook.

"Woohyun hyung?" Howon placed his things down and looked at Woohyun, then his caught sight of the letter, "You want me to read it with you?"

Woohyun shook his head, "I just needed someone to be by my side when I read it, is it okay if I stay here?"

Howon nodded. Woohyun went over to a corner and gently tore the opening apart. Howon pulled on his headphones and started working on his notebook again, giving Woohyun privacy.

Woohyun closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He could feel his breath starting to shake.

To Woohyun,

Are you finally reading my present for you, Namu? Took you long enough.

Let me guess, Howon is somewhere near you right now? I knew you will want someone to accompany you. Our Woohyunnie is scared of loneliness.

Nam Woohyun, I know you must have thought of dying, I know you so well. I wish I could tell you when I see you later, but I don't think my grandpa body will be able to do so. So I'm telling you here.


Woohyun laughs softly, he missed Sunggyu's nagging.

I'll forgive you for having that thought this once, the next time you ever think about it, I'll slaughter you, you get me?

Woohyun-ah, it has been so long since we last talked, but now here I am counting, it's not that long either. A few days? But I am so used to having Woohyunnie by my side, a few days seems to be a very very long time.

I really want to talk to you, Woohyun-ah, but it's so late and I will wake you and disturb you if I call you now, you must be sleeping like Sungyeollie. I figured that even if I called you, the only thing I will tell you is that, "I miss you."


"I wasn't sleeping hyung. I couldn't sleep without you in the room. Why didn't you call me? Hyung, I wanted to call you as well, but I was afraid of waking you up. I miss you so much I wish I could teleport myself over there that time."

Namu, have you been eating well? I can't see you so I don't know, but I kind of guess it's a no. You punk, how many times must I remind you to take good care of your stomach?

"Then why didn't you take care of yourself, you pabo hyung." Woohyun tried to swallow the lump forming in his throat.

Sunggyu without Woohyun is like spoon without chopsticks? Woohyun-ah, don't try to be funny anymore.

Woohyun laughs as his tear fell. "I wasn't trying to be funny."

I'm going to be serious now so Nam Woohyun, you better be serious too.

Woohyun sat up straight and wiped his never ending tears.

I have a lot to tell you, but time is running out, so I have to tell you here. I am very thankful that I have known the six of you. I've only realized that these few days without the few of you bothering the hell out of me.

Woohyun, you can't rely on me so much now. So you have to be stronger, and I know you can, all you need is time. I have always wanted to tell you that I am sorry for ever disliking you, maybe because you shine brighter than me during those times, I wanted to dislike you, to make myself feel better. Feel that I am maybe a little better.


Woohyun started crying out loud, Sunggyu apologizing to him made him felt ashamed that he even thought of killing himself.

Howon looked up when he heard the loud crying, he looked at Woohyun, but Woohyun shook his head, telling him to stay away. Howon was worried, but he remained at where he was.

Honestly, Howon thought no one will understand Woohyun's pain of losing Sunggyu. Sure they may have all spent the same amount of time, but Woohyun and Sunggyu were together almost 24 hours a day. How could Woohyun cope with Sunggyu not by his side so suddenly.

And Woohyun was still the one with Sunggyu, when he really did left him. He watched Sunggyu leave him with his own eyes and the helplessness he felt during that time must have been so strong, watching the one closest to him fade away and yet he could only watch.

You once said that you will be a better leader, I believed you would. I really thought so, but I don't think you will be able to do what you say now, crying all day long. Woohyun, I'm giving you a week starting from the moment you finish this letter.

A week, to change back to whoever you were back then before I left. Change back to the one who confidently told the camera, "Sunggyu without me is like a spoon without chopsticks, a needle without string."

You get me?

And also, you dummy head, check the envelope. I have my one last present for all of you. Myungsoo has a share of it so thank him later.

I love you.

Sunggyu


By the time Woohyun was done, Howon already had him tightly held in his arms.

"It's okay to cry it all out. I know you're hurting a lot." Howon spoke gently, patting softly on Woohyun's head.

After a very long time, Woohyun finally stopped crying, his eyes red and swollen, his face so red that it seemed like he was having a high fever.

He took the envelope by the side and saw another piece of paper.

Howon's eyes open in surprise when Woohyun pulled out that piece of paper.

"He said this is the last gift he has for all of us, and Myungsoo played a part in it." Woohyun choked.

Opening the paper, it was filled with notes and lyrics.

Woohyun, somehow started to hum along and when Howon saw his name by the side, he started to rap along.

The members who was back earlier came in when they heard the two singing and rapping.

They sat down and then looked through the lyrics.

And that present from Sunggyu, turned out to be their comeback hit.

"Now it's Infinite's comeback stage after quite some time, let's welcome them with Before My Time Runs Out!"


So, this is the letter most of you have been waiting for, and here it is! I really hope this is up to what you guys expected, if it's not, I am sorry! ><

Also, this is the final chapter of Before My Time Runs Out. So I hereby declare, it's completed! *claps*

To all my subscribers, thank you so much for supporting this fic and I hope you enjoyed reading it ^^

Comment lots for me okay? <3 XOXO

Infinite+Gif.gif