Chapter 1

Before my time runs out

3 Months ago.

"Hyung, are you sure you're okay? You made the same mistake a few times already." Myungsoo asked.

Sunggyu smiled and waved it off. "I'm fine. Most probably because I'm tired recently."

The members were all in the recording studio recording for their new song. Sunggyu kept making mistakes during his part. He will either stop abruptly or sing the wrong lyrics when he has the lyrics sheet placed right in front of him.

"Are you sure? You're pale, you know?" the producer expressed his concern,

"Yeah. My eyesight been blurry for a while. Don't worry, I think I just need more sleep." Sunggyu assured them.

The members exchanged glances with each other. It has been a while since they noticed this. But since Sunggyu said he was fine, he should be fine, right?

-------------------------------------------

The cup dropped to the floor with a loud crash. Upon hearing the sound of shatter glass, the members rushed out of their rooms and ran in to the kitchen.

Sunggyu stood there, pressing his temple and shook his head, trying to make his the blurriness of his eyes go away.

"Hyung, are you okay?" Dongwoo was the first one to approach him.

"Y-yeah. I'm fine..." Sunggyu lied.

He has been resting well for the past week, cutting down on his schedules whenever he can. but the blurriness still did not get better. In fact, it was worsening. But it was not as if he was going to tell the members and make them worried. Since it was his job as a leader to be worried, not them.

"Hyung, your feet is bleeding!" Sungjong exclaimed, the members looked down and saw the cut on Sunggyu's feet.Blood was oozing out of it. The glass must have cut his feet when it shattered.

"I'll clean Sunggyu hyung's wound." Woohyun volunteered and brought Sunggyu back to their shared room while the rest cleaned up the place.

"Hyung," Woohyun called as he cleaned Sunggyu's wound, Sunggyu hissed at the pain before answering him, "You have to go to the hospital and have a check up soon. We're having our comeback soon. And you still have your solo activities. You can't go on like this." Woohyun said with a heavy heart.

Sunggyu smiled and nodded.


2 Months ago.

"Hyung, pass me my hand lotion please?" Woohyun whined,

Sunggyu shook his head, "Get it yourself."

"Hyung~ You're nearer to it. It's just beside you. A stretch of your long~ arm will do the job." Woohyun pleaded.

Sunggyu sighed and reached for Woohyun's lotion.

But he missed it. Woohyun frowned at the sight.

"Hyung are you doing it purposely?" Woohyun asked sarcastically, Sunggyu forced a laugh and nodded.

He tried again, but missed the bottle again though it was just right in front of him. He shook his head and tried for the third time, finally grabbing the lotion.

"Hyung, you're mean." Woohyun whined as Sunggyu failed to pass him the bottle when his hand is right in front of him.

Woohyun took the bottle from Sunggyu and applied the lotion. Sunggyu lied down on his bed.

He was starting to have problem measuring the distance recently. 'Maybe I should check my eyes up.' he thought and drifted off to sleep.

-------------------------------------------

"Sunggyu! You're too near to the stage explosives!" Hyoan called when he realized Sunggyu was moving forward.

Sunggyu looked down and saw that he was near the edge where the fireworks will shoot at the end of their performance. Luckily it was only their rehearsal.

"Lets take a break!" the director called and stopped the rehearsal.

"Hyung, didn't you have a check up in the hospital?" Howon asked, Sunggyu shook his head.

The members sighed at the leader's stubbornness.

"I'm fine. I wasn't paying attention just now." Sunggyu made up an excuse.

The members eyed him but he just smiled it off. Making the members even more and more worried about his health. They knew he wasn't really the 'grandpa gyu' that appeared on the show, in fact, he was considered healthy. But his recent continuous mistakes made them think otherwise. Something was definitely wrong with their leader gyu.


1 month ago.

"Sunggyu! Both hands! Together!" the dance instructor scolded angrily. The members which was resting at the side, jumped at the sudden harshness of the  instructor's voice.

The studio was in an intimidating silence. Sunggyu stood there with his drenched hair and shirt and the sweat was still rolling down the sides of his face while the members sat quietly at one side, stopping all their jokes.

The instructor wasn't one to really lose his temper and Sunggyu was the only one that the instructor didn't really need to pay much attention to when they practiced their new dance since he was one of the few who can pick up the dance easily.

But recently, the instructor himself can't help but to get mad at Sunggyu who seems to fail to do the dance movements for his parts.

"Sunggyu! You continue to practice, the rest of you, you can go home now. And I will check your dance personally tomorrow Sunggyu." the instructor told them and left the studio.

The studio was swallowed by an awkward silence.

"You kids go home first. I'll be back soon." Sunggyu told them and forced a smile on his tired face.

"I'll stay with hyung." Howon said, Dongwoo nodded and brought the rest back to the dorm.

"Hyung, there's something very wrong with you." Howon said as he gave Sunggyu a bottle of water.

"I'm fine." Sunggyu said tiredly,

"You're not hyung! You're not fine. We all know. So you can stop putting on that strong front of yours." Howon snapped.

Sunggyu patted on Howon's shoulder, "I said I'm fine means I'm really alright.", with that, he stood up and continued to practice. 

After hours, he finally got the dance step right. But deep inside, he knew there was something wrong with him. Something so wrong that he was scared to find out what was wrong.

-------------------------------------------

Sunggyu was dancing with the members on stage when he suddenly felt like he couldn't move his legs.

Sungyeol who was opposite him looked at him, Sunggyu forced himself to move, but his legs wouldn't budge. And when he finally moved, he fell to the ground because too much force was applied for making his legs move.

The fans cheered loudly and when the performance was over. Sunggyu found himself hardly able to move his hands. He wanted to give a pat on the shoulder to each member, but he found that he can't even raise his arm, so he just smiled warmly at each of them and proceeded to the changing room without saying anything.

The members didn't even have the chance to talk to him. He stuck his ear piece in to his ear once they got in to the car. And when they reached the dorm, he quickly took his things and went to take his bath.

But they never knew, his tears fell while he was bathing. Non-stop flowing of tears. He hated to admit it, but he knew. He knew he had to go to the hospital to find out what's wrong. He knew the results wouldn't be pleasant.

The fans and the public could accept a mistake on the stage. But if it happens continuously. the reputation of Infinite they worked so hard for, was going to be ruined by him. By the leader himself. The shared dreams they had was going to vanish.


Present.

Sunggyu sat on the hospital chair. The members finally forced him to come to the hospital. They threatened to come with him in a huge group. Everyone of their families will go if he refuse to go alone. He agreed in despair. He can do nothing, can he?

It was the fourth time he was outside the same room.

The first time he came, he told the doctor who introduced himself as Doctor Choi, the problems he had been facing for the past 3 months.

The second time he came, the doctor's expression wasn't that good. The doctor arranged different test for him to do. Scanning almost every part of him with those machines he had never once seen in his life.

The third time he came, Doctor Choi ran the test personally.

First telling him to sit an arm's distance away. Then he told Sunggyu to touch his finger which he placed in front of him and after touching his finger, Sunggyu have to touch his own nose.

It's easy! What's so difficult about doing it? Even a 3 year old could do it without a problem. But for Sunggyu, it was a chore.

He couldn't do it the way he wanted. He would miss Doctor Choi's finger by a bit. Then when he touched his nose, he had trouble bending his arm. After repeating it for numerous times, he did not do any better. He would still miss the finger that was held out to him.

"Slowly increase your speed." Doctor Choi gently said, Sunggyu tried to increase his speed, but the faster he tried to go, the harder it seems to be able to move his arm.

He didn't even notice that Doctor Choi's finger had actually moved side to side slowly till the end when Doctor Choi told him.

After which, he asked Sunggyu to put his hand in front of him.

"Now, I want you to flip your palms like this." Doctor Choi demonstrated it by turning his palms facing up and down continuously. "Up. Down. Down. Up. Now you do it Sunggyu. Both of your palms together."

Of course you think Infinite's leader wouldn't have a problem doing it. Even an old man could do it, except in a slower speed.

But Sunggyu had trouble turning his palms together. Either the left will move first or the right will be faster. He just couldn't coordinate the two hands together. And how can he talk about being in sync with the rest of the members while dancing.

The sound of the number board snapped Sunggyu out of his thoughts. "1005." he read and he got up. It was his turn again.

He reached for the handle of the door, but he can't seem to grab it. He tried again, and he succeeded. He opened the door and went over to his usual seat.

Today was the day he would get all his results back. He had already prepared himself that the news that was going to be given to him wouldn't be good news. It wouldn't be anything worth to be celebrated like how they celebrate when they won the triple crown for The Chaser.

"All the symptoms you told me. And the results of the test..." Doctor Choi stopped talking.

The next thing Sunggyu knew, he was already on the way back to the dorm. With an envelop in his hand.

Sunggyu's POV:

"I'm sorry. But all your symptoms and test results showed that you have Spinocerebellar Ataxia disease." The doctor words rang in my head.

"What... Is that?"  I asked.

"Basically, you are experiencing a degeneration of the spinal cord and the cerebellum. Cerebellum is the small fissured mass at the base of the brain, behind the brain stem. The degeneration of the cerebellum, which is linked with the coordination of movement is the critical control centre of movements resulting in a loss of muscle coordination." Doctor Choi explained.

"Is there any treatment?" I asked, I can't risk losing the movements and coordination of my muscles. Infinite will crumble without any one of the 7.

"Up till now, there has been no cure for this disease." I stood up and got ready to leave the room. Why stay longer when I'm incurable?

"How long more-" I paused, what am I supposed to ask? How much time do I left before I completely cannot move? Or ask how long do I have left till I die?

"How long more till... I die?" I asked, it's better knowing my time. So I can make plans and spend my time fairly with the 6 kids at home.

"You have less than half a year left." Doctor Choi said regretfully. His expression certainly don't seem bright.

6 months. Just nice. A month for each of them. As for my family, I'll spend a week in every month with them. Is it fair enough?

So what am I going to do? The problem is. How am I going to tell the members that I am dying soon.


This is the first chapter! How was it? It must be boring... Well, don't kill me because I am going to kill Sunggyu again.

I have a problem. Which is, I can accept my bias dying, but when it comes to the other members, I can't take it. :/ Who has the same problem here? I bet I'm the only one here *sobs* D:

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'll update soon! ^^