Chapter 10 ; Lee Sungjong's Letter

Before my time runs out

Sungjong stared at the striking yellow piece of envelope that rested at the corner of is bed.

He didn't dare to tear it open, not after witnessing how Sungyeol had broke down and not talked for a day because he was crying too hard.

"Sungjong-ah, open it if you want to. We're all here if you need a shoulder to cry on." Howon said from his bed, looking at Sungjong, who stared at his letter for a very long time, but yet made a move to read it.

Sungjong looked up at his hyung, having an internal war with himself, whether to read it or not.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath and reached for the letter.

Somehow, he feels that Sunggyu was right beside him, Sunggyu's scent was all over the room.

Slowly, he pulled open the envelope, a piece of paper was inside. He looked at the folded paper, which was now in his hands, then at Howon.

Howon gave him an encouraging nod.

Sungjong started reading a minute later.

To Sungjongie,

How is our maknae doing? Are you still crying non-stop? Aigoo, hyung doesn't like to see our maknae cry so much, so stop crying arrasso?

Sungjong-yah, please treat the bear better now that I'm not here, okay? I'm sorry for leaving just like this. I'm sorry for causing so much pain to all of you. I'm really really sorry.

I'm sorry to the bear too, it went through a lot because of me.

You are really pretty you know that? Even hyungs are jealous. Don't be sad because of what others say about you. No one is perfect enough to judge another person, so don't mind them.

I hate myself so much that night.

When you were sobbing so hard. The way you held on to me and pleaded me to tell you that nothing is going to happen.

Sungjong-ah, hyung too, wished that nothing bad will happen, but doesn't life likes to go the opposite of what you wished? I'm stil glad and happy that it was me.

If this were to happen to any one of my precious dongsaengs, I would want to kill myself for being so helpless. I saw all of your helplessness that night. All written on your faces.

I know, all of you were wishing that you were some kind of god that can save me. Save your leader hyung.

I miss you so much. Now that I'm writing to you. I miss all of you who are now crying non-stop because of me.

I don't know what to expect from you when you come. Will you be the same as Sungyeollie?

Crying and pleading me, to promise not to leave you guys? I think you would. It came true am I right?

Our maknae is a strong person. So stop crying already. I told Sungyeollie that tears are meant to show emotions, I'm sure he did mention it. He surely would share what was in his letter.

So show hyung only your happy tears after you finish this letter okay? Don't be like hyung, I'm a bad person who broke my promises. So you have to keep your promise.

One last thing, help me look after Woohyunnie alright? He must have taken it the worst. That boy can cry longer than you. So help me make sure that he is healthy.

I love you.

Sunggyu

By the time Sungjong finished his letter, Howon's arms were already wrapped around his trembling body.

He had been crying so hard that his whole body shook.

"..H-hyung.." Sungjong hiccuped.

Howon continued to sit quietly beside the sobbing maknae and gently sway side to side while holding him.

Standing outside the room, Dongwoo clenched his fist tightly, hearing the muffled sobs through the door.

He glanced at his letter, placed in a stack together with the unread ones.

A tear fell. Then another. The green letter. Sunggyu's last words. Sunggyu's last present for him.

"Hyung. Are you okay?" Howon was suddenly in front of him.

Dongwoo wiped his tears away with the back of his hand.

"I'm fine. Is Sungjongie still crying?" Dongwoo asked softly. Howon looked behind him then nodded after a while.

"Sunggyu hyung really left us." Sungjong said that night. When it was dark and everyone was probably sleeping.

But the six boys, lying under their blankets in the living room, are still wide awake.

At first, none of them responded to Sungjong's words.

"He knew he would leave. He broke his promise." Sungyeol, who was beside the maknae, placed his hand on the maknae hand, hoping that the warmness of his hand would calm the maknae down.

"I can't sleep." Sungjong said, trying to hold back his tears, he didn't get why was he still crying after he had made a promise to Sunggyu.

"..." silence, "Neither can I." Myungsoo finally spoke.

Myungsoo had been quiet ever since they got back from Sunggyu's funeral.

"Go to sleep." Woohyun hoarse voice came.

Sungjong stop holding back and let his tears fall. It was silent. So quiet that they could only hear their own breathing.

Sungjong felt his tear rolled down. The feeling was embedded in his mind already. He could almost predict where the tear was going.

Then the tear soaked through the pillow. The pillow he once shared with Sunggyu when the older had a fight with Woohyun and refused to sleep with him.

The room turned warm. Their closed eyes shot open. Myungsoo and Howon looked at each other.

The familiar warmth, it was as if Sunggyu was there with them.

Sleeping in between Woohyun and Dongwoo, was Sunggyu. But that was the past.

Now, it was only an empty space between the two oldest where it used to be their beloved hyung there snoring away.

"I miss you, Sunggyu hyung." Sungjong mumbled as he slipped in to dreamland with his tear stained face.

"...I miss you so much..."


Sorry for not updating! >< I hope this was up to standard xD