The Conspiracy Revelation

The Black Phoenix

*banner by G-Dara21

---
 
“STOP!” I gritted in frustration as another arrow hit her. I already passed the obstacle as I volunteered to be first so Dara will have the chance to watch and get some points. Just the first arrow, it hit her on the shoulder. The second one hit her at the side. And I had enough of it already as she was kneeling on the ground already, bleeding. “Are you planning to kill her?” I shouted at Han Eul as I grabbed her bow and arrows and throw them away. I ran towards Dara and pulled the blindfold off of her. Her eyes were b with tears as she struggled to steady her breathing.
 
“Seunghyun. . .” she gasped.
 
“I’m here,” I whispered. “Don’t worry, I’m here. I won’t let anything happen to you, okay? Just rest and leave everything to me.”
 
“I. . . i-it hurts. . .”
 
“I know,” I whispered and kissed her hair. “I’ll take the pain away. Close your eyes.”
 
I haven’t really exercised all of the supposed-to-be-abilities of a shadow and I never really saw myself that strong to do some things but for Dara, I will drain my energy to keep her safe. But first, I need her unconscious. It’s just a simple whisk of a finger, from what I’ve heard but I have to be careful because it might leave traces of curse on her. I made her unconscious and her body sagged in my arms. I stood up with Dara in my arms and started going back to the tent we built a while back where we’ll be staying.
 
“Out of my way!” I growled at Han Eul as she tried to inspect Dara’s state. I so wanted to throw her in the air and into the trees but I know Dara would not like that when she wakes up. And I can’t bear losing control right now because I might end up hurting this beautiful girl in my arms as well. And the last thing I wanted to do in my life was to hurt her. She’d been hurt enough already. I fear she might totally break down and I’ll end up losing her. And besides, there’s the threat to my life by the person who made her like this.
 
It boggles my mind as well as to why she loves him so much. And it’s still a mystery to me as to what that guy have that caught her attention. I mean, he isn’t really that good looking, compared to me anyways. Although I admit that he’s quite appealing to the girls in a y way. I guess it’s the snobbish attitude of his – and all that all alone, desolate and mysterious image of his, except of course when he’s with Dara. He’s so different everytime I see them together before at school. He doesn’t look like a shadow – a half-human living in the darkness. Although of course, I could not blame him if he looked so love struck. Who wouldn’t love someone like Sandara Park?
 
I started attending to her wounds – the shadow way. For some weird reason, I seem to have the power and strength to do so. At times like this, I really find being a shadow useful. She stirred a little in her slumber. Then, she murmured something that left me in awe. “H-hyunnie. . .”
 
Unable to stop myself, I smiled. It was supposed to be just a small smile but I felt my face broke into a grin. It’s weird, though. I don’t like my birth name because it was given to me by someone who abandoned me. I preferred to be called TOP, not Seunghyun. But hearing that name from Sandara Park’s lips made me think that my name is somehow and in a way, beautiful.
 
After I was done, I left the tent, planning to confront Han Eul. She’s already ready for me when I went out. I glared at her and was about to start shouting some sense into her when she smiled at me. “See my point?” she asked. “That’s why I’m asking to train her first.”
 
I scowled at her. “If Dara wouldn’t be mad at me, I could’ve killed you already.”
 
“I know.”
 
“She’s your niece, for Pete’s sake!” I exclaimed, unable to contain the frustration inside me. “How could you hurt her like that?”
 
“I didn’t hurt her because I wanted to,” she said. “I want to protect her.”
 
“Well, you have a weird way of showing it.”
 
She shook her head. “You have no idea what’s in store for her the moment they would know who she really is. Shooting her with arrows would be lame to what they can do to her.”
 
I frowned at her. “There’s something you’re not telling us.”
 
She glanced at me briefly then looked far ahead the field. “I don’t have much time left.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“I’m going to die,” she said. “It has been predicted already. “In the battle, I’m going to die.”
 
I frowned. “Predictions aren’t reliable.”
 
She chuckled but it sounded off. “I’ve only lived this long to make sure Dara would be ready once the battle comes. It has been predicted that this battle will decide the fate of the shadows never-ending hunt for the line of phoenix. I made a promise to my sister that I’ll do anything in my powers to make sure that Dara will be ready.”
 
“But why?” I asked, frustrated once again. “This battle could be prevented. I mean –”
 
“It has been foreseen already,” she cut me off. “There’s so much more about the history of your kind and ours.”
 
“I don’t really understand any of this,” I said. “Why would they want Dara that much?”
 
Han Eul faced me. “She’s next in line of being the black phoenix,” she said. “Although my twin is of course, precious and very much of a black phoenix herself, but Dara. . . . she’s bound to be the strongest phoenix as Jiyong is bound to be the strongest direct descendant of the shadows. And there will be a battle coming. We need to get her ready for it.”
 
- She closed her eyes for a moment. “I don’t want to lose both of them,” she said.
 
“What does that mean?” I asked.
 
She opened her eyes and there was some sort of desperate look in her eyes. “You have to promise me Seunghyun that you’ll do anything in your power to keep her alive.”
 
“I. . .”
 
“Promise me!”
 
“I promise.”
 
- - - -
 
She blinked her eyes open. I gave her a small smile. “Hey sleepyhead.”
 
“Hey,” she returned with a small smile as well. “How bad?”
 
I shrugged. “Not that bad.”
 
She sighed. “Han Eul must be disappointed right now. Where is she?”
 
“She left,” he said. “She’ll be back,” I added upon seeing her anxious look. “She left you in my tender hand to train.”
 
Her eyes widened and a goofy grin broke her face. “You’ll be training me?”
 
“Yep,” I answered, smacking my lips. “Why, you look happy. Why is that?”
 
She beamed at me. “You’ll teach me the basics first, right?”
 
“So it seems,” I answered. “You still haven’t answered my question, though.”
 
She just winked at me. “Let’s get started.”
 
“Eager much?”
 
“Well, with Han Eul, it would only be train, train, train and train. But with you, it would be train, train, play and train then play, wouldn’t it?”
 
“What type of play are you referring to?”
 
She just rolled her eyes at me. “Get up, you lazy giant and make me a meal.”
 
“I’ve already made you breakfast.”
 
“Breakfast?” she asked. “Oh, how long have I been asleep?”
 
“Long enough,” I answered. “Eat then let’s get started since you’re so excited to be trained.”
 
“So what’s in the agenda today?”
 
“Sense of hearing.”
 
- - - -
 
DARA’S POV
 
After eating, TOP led me to the deepest part of the forest, far from the field. There was a little clearing with broken and dry twigs. It felt so cold and I can’t help but hug myself anxiously. TOP then stopped and pointed at the ground a few feet away from him. “Sit there.”
 
“There?” I asked.
 
“Yes.”
 
“But why?”
 
“Just follow me, okay?”
 
I pouted but obeyed, anyways. I sat on the ground with my feet crossed. “What’s next?”
 
“Close your eyes.”
 
I eyed him suspiciously. “You’re not going to leave me here, are you?”
 
His face softened and something jumped inside me. “Of course not,” he said. Jeez, what was that?
 
I closed my eyes then. “Okay,” I muttered.
 
“Here’s what I need you to do,” he said. “I’m going to give you two minutes, I have a stopwatch here, to listen to your surroundings. I want you to take note of all the things you will hear. I’ll listen as well. After the time, you have to give me all the things you heard and I’ll compare it to what I will hear in the span of two minutes. In that way, I’ll know what sounds you are sensitive to and the other way around, okay?”
 
“Okay.”
 
“In order to do this, you have to empty your mind,” he said. “If you have a single thought in your mind, you would not be able to concentrate.”
 
“How’s that possible?” I grumbled with my eyes closed. “Every single person would have at least a single thought to their minds.”
 
“I know,” he answered patiently. “But this is your first time in doing this activity. In a matter of time, you’ll be able to hear what you want to hear even if there are millions of thoughts running around your mind.”
 
Oh,” I mumbled. “Okay.”
 
“You have so much faith in my words today,” he said. I can hear the faint smile in his voice and I can’t help but smile in response.
 
“I trust you,” I said.
 
He was silent for a while. “I’m glad you do.”
 
I took a deep breath. “Okay, I’m ready.”
 
“On the count of three, I’ll start the stopwatch, okay?”
 
“Okay,” I answered.
 
“One. . .”
 
I have to clear my mind. I repeated the words inside my head like a mantra. But the more I try to empty my mind, the more thoughts poured in. Ugh, this is frustrating! I wondered if TOP realized that it’s only the two of us here, in the middle of nowhere with no Han Eul around or any other people. And how long are we going to stay here anyways? What about our food supplies or our clothes? Where are we going to wash them? Speaking of wash, I haven’t taken a bath yet! Eww, I must’ve smelled. . .off. Ugh! I need to take a bath later. But where?
 
“Two. . .”
 
Oh right, I forgot. I have to clear my mind. Hmm, TOP’s voice is really y, baritone y. I wondered how many girls already swoon over his voice. Jeez, what am I thinking? Tch, get a grip girl!
 
“Three.”
 
I.Have.To.Clear.My.Mind.
 
I can hear myself breathing. Err. . . what else?
 
There was a chirping noise somewhere as well – must be birds.
 
Aigoo, this is hard. I can’t seem to hear anything else!
 
I tried to concentrate and I felt myself frowned. What else?
 
So far, I have two in my list. I ran through them mentally – myself breathing, the chirping birds. . . Oh, there’s the pounding of my blood in my ear. I tried to listen to any signs of TOP but. . . there was nothing. I started to feel scared. He didn’t leave me, did he? I hate being alone.
 
“Time’s up!”
 
I blinked my eyes open. And there he was, standing under the rays of the sun, looking every inch like a gorgeous shadow.
 
“So?” he asked, his brows arched up. “Give me your list.”
 
“Err,” I flushed.
 
“Well?”
 
“There. . . there’s myself breathing, chirping birds, the blood pounding in my ears. . . .”
 
“Yes?” he urged on and looked at me expectantly.
 
I flushed guiltily. “That’s all,” I mumbled, feeling small.
 
He was silent. I looked down, I think I would not be able to bear looking at his disappointed face. “In the span of two minutes, I heard two people breathing, two hearts beating, birds chirping, small animals nearby squeaking, the gentle blow of the wind, the rustle of dry leaves and list could go on and on. Tell me your last thought during the countdown?
 
I flushed deeply this time. I could just feel the heat on my cheeks.
 
“You’re blushing,” he commented. “Now, I’m curious.”
 
“You really don’t have to know!” I snapped.
 
I felt, more than heard him walked towards me. He scooted down and leveled his face with mine. “Tell me,” he said.
 
“No!”
 
“Please?” he asked. I looked up unwillingly and a childish-pouting-irresistible TOP was full on. I swallowed hard.
 
“W-well. . .” I stammered. “I. . . I just thought that your baritone voice is y. . .”
 
“Hmm,” he murmured. “Is that so?”
 
My eyes widened! Gah! He’s unleashing his most husky, most baritone voice! Gah! My eardrums just exploded, I think!
 
“Ya!”
 
He laughed. “I enjoy teasing you,” he said. “But we have to focus on your training first, okay?”
 
“Okay,” I nodded.
 
And our training went on. It was more of concentrating and filtering the sounds you heard and wanted to hear. It’s not easy but TOP said I’m doing well for a first-timer. He also said that it might take me a week or two only to master it and I can’t but feel giddy about it although two weeks for me is still a long time but he said there are some who took years to master it. I must be doing really well then.
 
After the hearing-in-the-forest training, he then started conducting the training in the river, where he made me sit with the waterfalls just behind me. This same river is where we wash our clothes and take a bath as well. It was harder to hear things with the waterfalls loudly echoing behind me. I argued with TOP about it. I mean, how am I going to hear things properly if it’s too noisy? But he said that it would make much of a difference. He said, Do you really think in a battle, it would be quiet like the forest?
 
He got a point so I didn’t argue anymore. It took me longer to get the hang of it compared to the activities in the forest. And I couldn’t imagine how he actually thought that it would only take me two weeks to master it. I mean, I think I’ll need centuries here!
 
I didn’t notice that I was starting to get more eager with the training. There were times that I would wake up earlier than him and starts the training all by myself. Maybe it was my way of getting my mind off of things. As much I would want to deny it, but there were nights that I still dream of him, just his face. There were instances that I see him walking away from me as well. And since TOP and I were sleeping in separate tents, I don’t have anything to distract myself but to go out and train myself. I had the choice to go to TOP’s tent, of course but I didn’t want to wake him up or worry him over me. I am aware of his feelings for me and making him see me still distracted by him would hurt him. I don’t want to hurt TOP. It’s my selfishness, I guess. If I make him see that I still dream of him every now and then, he might give up on me then and leave me alone.
 
I don’t want that. I don’t want to lose him as well. I don’t want to be alone. If that would happen, I have nothing anymore, nothing.
 
After an hour or so, I went back to our camp and started making breakfast. He’s been cooking breakfast for the both of us these past days and I think I owe him one. He’s been very patient with me. He’s an effective trainer. I smiled to myself, yes, that’s right, my very own personal trainer. When the food was done, I went to wake him up, surprising him a bit.
 
“I want to start early,” I told him. “There’s still so much things I want to learn.”
 
He smiled and patted my head. “Good girl.”
 
I smiled back and we finished our breakfast in silence. When the silent breakfast was done, I was on training mode once again.
 
“The key to it is familiarization,” he said. “Now, in this type of surroundings, do you think it’ll be normal to hear the swoosh of an arrow?”
 
I shook my head.
 
“Exactly,” he said. “If you familiarize yourself with the surroundings, it’d be easy for you to determine the normal and not-so-normal sounds. In that way, it’ll help you avoid things like arrows, yes?”
 
I just nod my head. What did he just say?
 
“Let’s give it a try then,” he said. “Here, put this on,” he said, handling a blindfold to me. “I’ll try one arrow, okay? I won’t shoot it at you but I would allow it to fly near you.”
 
I nodded.
 
“I won’t hurt you,” he said, voice full of promise.
 
“I believe you,” I said.
 
“Then what’s with the look?”
 
“I just. . . don’t want you to be bias. . . I want to know how much I’ve learned and needed to learn as well.”
 
“I’m not being bias,” he said. “Let’s just try once but if it. . .”
 
“You have to push me too, TOP. I appreciate how gentle and understanding and patient you are with this but I also need pressure.”
 
He swallowed and nodded.
 
“Let’s try ten arrows,” I boldly said.
 
“T-ten?!” he exclaimed, eyes wide with surprise and shock and disbelief.
 
“Yes,” I answered, holding his gaze firmly.
 
He hesitated. “Are you sure about this?”
 
“Yes.”
 
He sighed. “Fine, let’s give it a try.”
 
I securely placed the blindfold in as I heard his gentle footsteps on the dried leaves, breaking and cracking under his weight. I steadied myself as he walked away from me and probably went to a place where he could take me by surprise. I can’t help but smile. And then, I heard it, the faint and fast swoosh that did not belong to the surroundings. It’s coming fast. My right ear was ringing and my right arm lifted on its own accord. The next thing I know, my fingers curled around what seemed to be a light and thin wood.
 
“Again,” I called out.
 
To my surprise, a sudden swoosh came from behind me. My initial reaction was to duck and so I did. And I heard him snort.
 
“Are you actually laughing at me?” I asked. But he didn’t answer. Then, there’s a sudden fast-approaching sound from above me. I was ready for it this time.
 
And it went on and on, from all directions. I managed to catch at least six of the arrows. I dodge three of them and one was a closed hit to my shoulder. When I pulled the blindfold off, I was grinning like crazy.
 
“How the hell did you do that?” a voice far from me asked. I looked up and saw him staring at me with wide eyes. “How the hell did you catch those arrows?”
 
Honestly? I don’t know the answer myself but I was just too happy that I just ran to him and launched myself to him. He didn’t catch me right on time so he stumbled back but he seemed to not mind as I started laughing heartily. And it felt so good to laugh out loud. It felt like I haven’t laughed for ages. He must have seen how giddy I was about what happened because he started laughing himself. It suddenly made me aware that I was on top of him. Our laughter eventually died down and we stare into each other’s eyes.
 
He smiled. “You must be really proud of yourself,” he said.
 
I didn’t answer. TOP, he’s a handsome guy. No doubt about it. But then, looking into his eyes, I felt that jump again inside me. I like him, there’s no doubt about it. And I do care about him as well.
 
“Dara. . .” he murmured.
 
I ran my tongue along my sudden dry lips. I’m attracted to him!
 
I must be possessed by some spirit because I leaned down and gave him a peck on the lips, which surprised him. He blinked then his eyes darkened. Then, we were kissing. I curl my fingers in his hair while my other hand cupped his cheek.
 
“I was just gone for a few days and this is the scene I’ll be seeing?”
 
We both jumped as Han Eul’s voice came in. I stood up unsteadily and cleared my throat awkwardly. My heart was beating fast inside my chest as I tried to look anywhere except Han Eul.
 
“You might be surprised with her progress,” TOP said.
 
“Really?” Han Eul asked. “Show me then.”
 
TOP snorted. “Just wait and see, she did this all herself.”
 
I placed the blindfold again and went through the training again. This time, I caught eight arrows and dodge two of them. Han Eul was impressed, I can clearly see that. She was almost smug about it. She gave TOP a proud smile. “I knew you can train her.”
 
My training went on. Han Eul said that sense of hearing is the most important of all compared to the others so in between training for other senses, I still have to undergo complementary training for my lovely ears. On top of that, I also have one-on-one session with Han Eul for my fighting skills.
 
I was glad about the training, it distracts me from thinking of undesirable thoughts. And sooner or later, I was only thinking about how to do well everyday.
 
I didn’t even notice the time until Han Eul said we’ve been working hard for two months already. She said that it seemed that I’m ready already and we all deserve a rest and we all deserve to go home already.
 
Wow, two months. . . it’s been two months! For some reason, I felt weird. Maybe because I just got used to my everyday routine of waking up to train and I train before I sleep. Thinking that tomorrow would not be the same anymore, makes me kind of sad.
 
The night before we’re about to go home, I could find sleep so I went out in my thin white nightwear and strolled around. Then, I decided to go the river and take a bath. The river looked lovely under the full moon. Without taking my nightwear off, I dived into the water and started swimming. I went to the direction near the waterfalls and pulled myself to the side and sat down on a huge rock. I closed my eyes and tilt my head up. With a sigh, I opened my eyes and stared up at the full moon.
 
“A goddess,” a voice said in awe.
 
I looked straight up and saw TOP partially hidden in the shadows. I smiled a little. “Have a dip?”
 
He needn’t telling twice. I saw him took a step forward, took his shirt out, slipped his slippers off and with only his walking shorts on, he dived into the river and started swimming towards my direction. Anticipation started building inside me and I don’t why. . .
 
Then, he emerged, gloriously wet from swimming. I grinned at him. “Do you have any idea how much of a goddess you look like right now?”
 
“Really?” I asked, blushing a little.
 
“And your skin glow under the moonlight.”
 
I giggled. “What’s with all these poetic words?”
 
He grinned boyishly. “Just trying to be in the mood of the scene.”
 
I laughed. He can be adorable sometimes, really. “Do you have any idea as well as to how adorable you are right now?”
 
“Really?” he asked back. “What shall we do with it then?”
 
I shrugged. “I don’t know. But I have this weird urge to pinch your cheeks.”
 
“Is that so?” he asked. “So what am I going to do with your goddess look right now?”
 
“What do you want to do?”
 
“I want you,” he said.
 
I paused. The right reaction to it was to be surprised but for two months of being with him, I knew what he wanted. But the question was with me. Am I ready? Do I want him as much as he wants me? Yes, I do like him. Hell, I even care for him. It’s much safe to say that I have feelings for him. But . . . am I ready for this? A part of my mind then sneered at me, move on – move forward. He reached out to caress my face. I’ve never been caressed like this for a long time and I suddenly felt my heart squeeze painfully. I never realized how I missed his touch, his caress, his little way of making me feel special and treasured. But he’s no longer here, he’s no longer mine, he can never be mine anymore. And the thought of it made me feel so lonely, so unwanted, so. . . dejected.
 
I can feel a little tug on my arm and I was pulled off from my position to the river. I was pinned against the smooth side of the huge rock with my feet resting on each of TOP’s under the water. Should I take the risk?
 
As if goading me, there’s this hopeless part of my mind that conjured up Jiyong’s smirking face and I could just hear him say, I don’t really care. No, I don’t want to live in pain anymore. Enough is enough.
 
I should give myself a chance, right? Right?
 
Without really thinking about it or a firm decision in mind, I wrapped my arms around his neck and gave him a small smile. Then, he kisses me, gently at first until I initiated to deepen it. And deeper it went, indeed.
 
 
- - - -
 
We were back in civilization and TOP asked me out for a lunch. I indulged, of course. We held hands as we joined other people on a busy Sunday. He was being funny, throwing jokes here and there that I can’t help but laugh to. I was inside my happy bubble, him as well. He would occasionally lean down and kisses me on the lips which always make me blush, especially knowing that we’re in a public place. I would glare at him and hit his arm but he would just laugh it off.
 
I thought my happy bubble would continue the whole day but it burst to nothingness when I saw two familiar people, arm in arm, looking much of a couple enjoying the Sunday rush as well. I blinked at them and I can’t help the boiling feeling starting to go to the surface. I stopped and TOP stopped as well. At the corner of my eye, I saw him looked down at me with a frown. He then followed my gaze and I felt him tensed.
 
I let go of TOP’s hand the moment the couple noticed us. They both stopped and stared at us, wide-eyed. I didn’t really care about the girl, my eyes were all on the guy. As if possessed, I stepped forward, lifted my arm and landed a good smacking slap on Seungri’s face.  “How could you?!”
 
“Dara!” Sohee gasped.
 
I turned to her. “And you! How could you go all. . . lovey-dovey with your husband’s friend?”
 
They exchanged looks. Then, Sohee looked back at me again. “We need to talk.”
 
“Spill,” I said.
 
“Let’s talk it over a meal,” TOP said. “I’m hungry.”
 
So our little party went to look for a place to dine in. I ordered pasta but didn’t have the appetite, really. I just want this to get over and done. I felt betrayed, especially by Seungri. But I forced myself to eat, since I don’t really have anything to do as both of them are so quiet, only TOP was trying to break the tensed between the three of us, and he’s failing miserably.
 
When the meal was done, I initiated the talk. “Start talking,” I said.
 
“Dara,” Sohee said, smiling a little. “Jiyong and I. . . we’re not married.”
 
I stared at her blankly. What did she just say?
 
“We never intended to really get married,” she went on. “The marriage. . . it was supposed to start the rebellion against the Nest – you know, the royalties’ little club. I already made Jiyong promise that he’ll help me with it, before, when you. . . when you left him because of Jaejoong.”
 
My mouth suddenly went dry.
 
Sohee took a deep breath. “To be fair, I did love him. I knew from the start I was hopeless. You should have seen how he was when you left him, it was frustrating to see him trying to get himself killed to punish himself. But I told him it would do him no good and that it’s an escape to what he did. I told him that if he continue living, then he can continue feeling the pain he deserves as a punishment.”
 
I gasped and my eyes widen at her.
 
“I know it’s a cruel thing to say,” she said. “But at that time, it was the only way I could think of to pull him back to earth. After that, he did come back to earth, determined to live each day with pain. He thinks he deserve eternal pain for hurting you.”
 
A lump started forming in my throat. No, I couldn’t bear to hear this. Not now that TOP’s with me. Not now that I’m just starting anew with him.
 
“I made him promise to help me bring down my father,” she smiled bitterly. “I love my father but I don’t like his ways as a shadow. Jiyong only agreed to my proposal when I mentioned that my father had you monitored.”
 
“Monitored?” I asked.
 
“Yes,” she nodded. “He’s been watching Jiyong from afar. I know you’re aware of how Jiyong despises being a shadow, how he avoided using his powers. My father was keeping tabs on him to find out his weakness. Then, you came. . . at first, my father thought that it’s just another fling. But as time grows, he saw how attached Jiyong was to you. And he started planning things to ruin your relationship.”
 
“Why?” I asked. I just can’t help it.
 
“Because you’ve tamed Jiyong. And my father wants the direct descendant untamed. My father knows no boundaries,” she said, shaking her head and looking regretful.
 
“J. . . he seemed to like you, though.”
 
She smiled. “He respects me, I think. You see, we are much alike. Although we attained it different ways, but I’m also scarred, my father made me a guinea pig with his experiments. And well, have you ever seen a half-shadow girl planning to take down a full nest of royal crows?”
 
I didn’t say anything.
 
“I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable,” she said. “But Jiyong made it clear from the start that I’m just a friend. He was just bounded with his promise to me and I’ve asked him not to tell you about our plans to sabotage the wedding to make my father a laughingstock in the shadow world when this little fellow came in,” she paused and smiled. She turned to Seungri and cupped his cheek. Seungri in turned, grabbed her hand and kissed her palm. I looked away, unable to take in the sweetness.
 
“The original plan was for Sohee to declare that he doesn’t want to get married to Jiyong on the wedding day,” Seungri said. “I overheard them talking about it so I joined and suggested that it would be more rebellious if Sohee would run away with me while she was just about to say her vows. I knew it could cost me my life but. . . Sohee’s father didn’t react the way we expected him to. Up until now, it’s still a wonder to us.”
 
“I hope that clears everything between us, Dara,” Sohee said. “I do want you as a friend.”
 
My mind was blank.
 
I just drifted through the conversation then I just found myself asking TOP for a combat training. He had me pinned down on the ground in seconds.
 
“You’re distracted,” he commented.
 
I blinked up at him and smiled. I need a distraction. And he is my greatest distraction right now. I s my arms into his nape and lifted my head, wanting to kiss him. But he turned his face the other way and pulled himself away from me. I feel like I’ve been fisted in the stomach. “TOP?”
 
“I know why you’re so distracted,” he hissed. “You can’t have it both ways, Dara.”
 
Fear suddenly gnawed my chest. No, my mind trembled. I took a step forward but he stepped away from me. “R-remember when we were at the river? When we were. . . when we were. . . you know. . .”
 
“When we were what?” he scoffed. “You can’t even say the word.”
 
“You said you’re going to wait,” I whispered. “I need time. . .”
 
“I’ve given you enough time.”
 
“I don’t want to lose you,” I whispered, tears threatening to fall. “Please, give me more time.”
 
His face softened. “I don’t want to lose you, too.”
 
I wasn’t able to hold my tears back anymore. I ran to him and threw myself in his arms, my mouth seeking his automatically.
 
“I thought you need time?” he asked in between kisses.
 
“Yes,” I rasped. “But I need this, too.”
 
His arms went around me as he lifted me off my feet. I wrapped my legs around him as he kissed me deeply. I felt him moving and the next thing I know, I was pressed against a wall. I know where this was heading and I didn’t show any sign to stop him. I like being in his arms, he makes me feel special and treasured. He makes the feeling of being unwanted and rejected go away.
 
A soft buzz then interrupted us. “Your phone,” I whispered against his lips.
 
“Hmm,” he murmured, nuzzling my neck with his nose. With a resigned sigh, he took his phone out. He snapped on whoever was on the other line. A coy smile curved my lips as I started ing his top. I managed to free three buttons and I smiled to myself as I leaned forward to start trailing kisses from his throat down to his chest.
 
“What do you mean she got worst?”
 
I immediately stopped.
 
- - -
 
AUTHOR’S POV
 
TOP looked at the old woman’s face and can’t help the guilt from gnawing his insides. How could he neglect her so? She looked so thin, so pale, so sick, so. . . .
 
“We have to find the black phoenix faster,” he heard Minzy said.
 
“I know where the black phoenix is,” he answered and he could feel Daesung and Minzy’s eyes on her. He sighed and buried his face in his hands.
 
 
 
Thousand miles away, in an island in the middle of the lost sea, a tower stood. A small smile curved the man’s face as he looked out to the window with one of his disciple whispering some good news in his ears.
 
“It seemed that we have good news,” he then announced.
 
“Is that so?” a low, menacing growl came from behind him. He turned around and smiled at the boy sitting in a throne-like chair at the far end of the chamber. He was amazed and in awe as he watched the mixture of black and violet smoke surrounding Jiyong as he sat lazily on that throne-like chair. And his eyes. . . oh his eyes. . .  Mister Ahn just loved how his eyes speak of death, despair, agony, revenge, destruction, hatred, lust and much more in his all-black eyes tainted with the shade of dark violet.
 
“Yes,” he answered gleefully. “It seemed that we already found our slippery phoenix friend.”
 
Slowly, Jiyong’s head turned to his direction and his lips curved into a smile he so admired these days. The smile – it was so full of promise, promise of death, destruction, pleasure and victory.
 
“Deliver then,” Jiyong said in his menacing growl.
 
Ahn glanced at his disciple and gave him a nod. The disciple scrambled to the door and went back in with the people walking confidently beside him. Ahn went to greet them. He knew them of course. Nevertheless, he asked for their names. “Names?”
 
“Minzy,” the girl answered. “This is Daesung.”
 
“So. . . you have news about the phoenix’s whereabouts?”
 
“Not the exact location, no.”
 
Ahn felt Jiyong’s furious aura behind him so he looked back and crooned, “Easy there.”
 
“But we do know something that might help you locate the phoenix.”
 
Ahn turned back to them. “What is it?”
 
“The phoenix has a daughter.”
 
“Interesting,” Ahn answered, rubbing his chin.
 
“We do know that wherever the daughter is, there will be the mother.”
 
“And who is this descendant of the heart made of black fire?”
 
“Sandara Park.”
 
 
 
 
-------
a/n:
kyaak!! i updated! yay!! hahahaha.....
it's a long one compared to the previous chappie, isn't it? kekeke
 
oh,btw!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR GETTING CLT FEATURED!!
love, love, love you all!!
 
 
and oh! check this one out!
princesscc01, you are a star!
thanks for this!
The Black Phoenix by princesscc01