Snow from 14 years past

Born to die 2 - Afterlife

-Daniel's POV-

4 years ago:

"I'm sorry for your loss, Mr and Mrs Chae.", the doctor said to my parents and the tears were fallen down my face. My sister fought against the cancer for 2 years but at the end... she lost...

Since the day Cassie got into the hospital, I was by her side everyday and now she was gone.

We went home and mom cried day and night. I locked myself in my room with my radio turned up so loud that no one heard my screaming.

I felt like breaking down, like somehow I just didn't belong anymore and no none was there to save me. Day by day it only got harder till I got a message from the girl in the hospital that had been Cassie's neighbor.

I decided to go to the hospital to see her.

"Your sister's dead.", she said looking in my eyes. She was different. She didn't avoid talking about her like everyone else did. I know they didn't want mention her because they think I might cry or something. But I did want to talk about her. I did want to hear stories about her. I didn't want anyone to stare at me and to get silent when they were talking about her just because they see me and didn't what me to get hurt.

She was here for almost one year now and my sister and she became friends.

"I know.", I said and went over to her bed to sit next to her. "You tried again to kill yourself.", I said and she nodded sobering.

"I know.", she said and for a long time, there was nothing. Not even time in this room. There was just us. Two broke guys. Me and her.

Two lonely, sad people in one white room. Silents filled the room like forever but it was not awkward. It was peaceful. She has calm me down.

They had tied her on the bed and she had bandages on her wrists, which were stained with blood.

"I heard the doctor saying, they will give me the ticket for ther special bus...", she said.

"You mean, they'll send you to a mental hospital?!", I asked and she nodded.

 

She was the only one I had, I couldn't leave her alone. She couldn't let me alone! So I was with her all the time.

I was with her at the mental hospital, I was with her when she had therapies, I even was with her when she slept.

"Chae Daniel?", her doctor asked.

"Yes, doc?"

"She has no one but you, right?"

"Eeeer... yes and my parents."

"So I will ask you if you and your family want to take responsibility for her therapies."

"I will always take care of everything that has to do with her."

"I thought, you'd say that.", he said and told me to tell my parents to see him.

My parents and the girl, I took care of and still didn't know her name, got closer. Very close.

I think they just needed someone to take care of. - To love.
I went into her room while my parents were talking to the doctor.

She was tied on her bed again.

"How're you doing?", I asked and she opened her eyes.

"Better."

"Really?"

"No.", she said and I smiled.

"Why are you like that?", I asked and she looked sad.

"I don't know. I... I honestly don't know... I don't know anything about me..."

"I know.", I said and took her hand. "The doctor said you had a nervous breakdown and you're depressive ever since."

She looked out of the window and seemed to think about my words.

"I used to be happy. Very happy... That was the problem, I guess.  I'm used to break everything down that makes me happy. Everytime. Friends, family. Love. Young love is always doomed I guess..."

"I guess it is."

"Have you ever loved someone that much, that it hurts everytime you think about him, Daniel?", she asked and looked me in the eye crying.

"Yes, I have.", I said and she grabbed my hand tighter.

She stared into my eyes for a while 'till she pushed the button on her right sie so the doctor would be here in a minute.

Suddenly she started screaming and turning in her bed.

"What's wrong?", the doctor asked but I just stood there not knowing what to do.

"THEY'RE BACK!", she yelled and tried to hit everyone around her. "RUN DANIEL! THEY'RE HERE TO TAKE YOU! RUN DANIEL!"

My parents came running into her room too and saw her like that.

"Doctor Foster? Please start with your therapie! You have our permission!", my father said.

"Thank you very much. I will start immediately so I need you to leave, she needs rest and peace."

My father nodded and grabbed me and mom.

 

-Doctor Foster's POV-

Day 14:

"What do you see?", I asked again and she closed her eyes.

"I am in my room."

"In your imagine safe room?"

"Yes."

"Is this woman looking at you?"

"No. She's looking out of the window."

"What does she see?"

"It's dark.", she said and began to shiver.

"What else?"

"I can feel the rain on my face. I can barely see something but someone is pulling me down the street."

"Who is it?", I asked and she said nothing for a while.

"I can't... see his face..."

"Ok. It's ok. What happens next?"

"I lost my shoe. I tell him to let go of me and asked why we ran but he isn't answering... I- I can hear a sound..."

"What sound?"

"A shot... He got shot by someone... I'm watching him falling to the ground....", she said and stopped breathing for a moment.

"What if...", I started and took a deep breath. "What if that never happend...?", I asked and she opened her eyes.

"But it did..."

"But if you would just pretend it didn't...?", I asked and all of the sudden she smiled.

That confused me. It was a smile of a girl. Just a girl. A normal girl on a sunny day that loved life.

The kind of smile that say: 'You don't know me and you never will.'

That was admirable.

"Oh- Ok, you can go into your room but think about my words."

"Will do, doc!", she said and went into her room.

 

Day 31:

"What do you see in your room? Is th woman there again?"

"No. Freddie is there."

"Who's Freddie?"

"He was my friend. But he's dead now."

"What happend to him?"

"I was ike 14 years old... I- I had to do something... I can't remember why...", she said.

That was my therapie. - To help all my patients to forget all ther bad memories but the only problem seemed to be that... she somehow just had bad memories...

"What happend to Freddie?"

"Someone struck him with a baseball bat..."

"What happend?"

"He was 17... no wait! He just turned 18 that was why we had a big party at his place...!"

"Tell me about it."

"Everyone came. Even Ageshi who hated parties. He danced with me. I- I remember... I smoked spliff for the first time in my life at this party.

But... But I don't know who killed him... I'm sorry..."

"It's ok! Did you love him?", I asked and she answered after a while.

"I ed him."

"Ok. But... Did you love him?"

"I don't know... I-I can't remember... I guess I did..."