6

CHEN-derella

     "The piano piece that you played earlier in Mr. Park's class, that's Ode to Joy, right?" Xiumin asked, initiating the conversation.

     "Yes, it's popularly known as that but it's also called Symphony Number Nine. Ode to Joy was a poem where Beethoven based the same symphony." Jongdae explained. He's still trying to calm himself, calm his rapidly beating heart. Jongdae is talking to the person -who happens to be a famous one- he likes. A phenomenon that never in a gazillion years he thought would happen.

     "I see." Xiumin nodded. "But I never get to hear your explanation for it."

     Jongdae hesitated for a moment before answering. "It's really simple. My philosophy in music is freedom in everything, how you compose it to how you play or sing it. I believe that it's how you could easily connect your emotions to it, if you have the freedom."

     "That's a good one." Xiumin said then flashed him a cheeky grin.

     Donghae finally arrived with their drinks and food and he kept on shooting Jongdae a knowing smile until he left that Jongdae was amazed Xiumin didn't notice it. He took a sip of his frapp as he periodically glances at Xiumin who is also sipping his Chai.

     Silence hung in the air as the two kept on drinking their own beverages. Jongdae was starting to get uncomfortable but he does not want to speak first because he does not know what to say. So Jongdae just kept on sipping his cold drink even though his head is starting to ache from the 'brainfreeze'. Fortunately, Xiumin placed down his mug and instantaneously, Jongdae's attention is on him.

     "I wonder if you knew someone named Chen?" Xiumin asked and Jongdae choked on his drink, startling the other. "Are you alright?" Xiumin asked as he frantically handed Jongdae some tissues.

     "Thank you, I'm alright." Jongdae said when he finally regained his composure. He wiped the side of his mouth more.

     Did Xiumin really asked him that? Why does Xiumin know his Chinese name?

     'Get a hold of yourself Kim Jongdae, there are like a thousand more Chen on the surface of the Earth.' His inner mind scolded and he mentally face-palmed himself. Talk about being delusional. Of course it could not be him.

     But Jongdae did not answer Xiumin's question. Instead, he asked, "Mind if I ask why you're looking for this person?"

     Xiumin thought for a moment, his brows scrunched. "I really don't know how to start." He muttered lowly to himself.

     "How about starting with, where did you meet this person?" Jongdae suggested warily.

     Xiumin was surprised that Jongdae caught on what he said earlier. He was sure that it was no more than a whisper. But Xiumin answered Jongdae's question nonetheless.

     "We did not really meet. It just happened that we were at the same birthday party. Chen caught my attention and since then, I have been searching for him." Xiumin said, almost too eagerly.

     And Jongdae noticed that their current topic is making Xiumin elated. He tried to ignore that little pierce in his chest at what Xiumin had said 'he caught my attention'. It's not like he's head over heels in love with Xiumin, so why is he feeling this way? As Donghae had termed it, it is just a crush, a little admiration. So why does it feel as if something is heavy inside him?

     "Then the celebrator must know who Chen is since he is the one who invited the people in his party." Jongdae did a mental applause for coming up with such a logical thought. (And yes guys, it's 'celebrator' not 'celebrant' because the latter pertains to  priest presiding a mass while the former pertains to someone hosting a celebration. My prof. in Linguistics cleared that out.)

     "That was not really the case. Chen and I were there for two different reasons. I was there because it's the party of my best friend while Chen was there for  job. He was the... how do I say this? Entertainer perhaps, for that night."

     As Xiumin explained, something clicked in Jongdae's mind.

     He is also at a party weeks ago. It was a birthday party as much as Jongdae can remember. He was the shot-gun entertainer that night. And he also sw Xiumin that same night. But as much as he could also remember, 'Kim Jongdae' was the name that he gave at that time and not Chen. Where in the world did Xiumin get that name. And, could he really be the Chen that Xiumin is looking for?

     There is only one way to find out.

     "How did you know that his name is Chen?" Jongdae asked. If his hunch is right, then he really is that Chen Xiumin is looking for.

     "Honestly, I don't know if Chen is really his name. The PO forgot. When I went to the room Chen used, he is already gone but I think he accidentlly left some music sheets, that is where I found the name."

     Jongdae could visualize the huge LED board inside his brain flashing the word 'CONFIRMED'. He was dazed and speechless. So Xiumin really is looking for him. A lowly creature like himself felt really, really, really happy. His almost-bursting, rapidly-beating heart is the proof.

     But why does Xiumin want to see him? Aside from being able to catch his attention, of course, Jongdae never fails to repeat it. Suddenly, he felt eager to know the answer.

     "But why do you want to see him?" Jongdae asked in the best non-chalant way he could. Suppressing the grin that is tugging his lips.

     "Chen has a really good voice." Xiumin said and Jongdae's mind did a flip. "If only you could hear him sing. The company is planning to form a ballad group and I want to cast him in. I am sure, Chen will be able to claim a spot." Xiumin's voice was laced with confidence.

     "Ahh." was the only thing Jongdae was able to say. It was not the answer he is expecting, though he felt flattered for Xiumin praising him. But Jongdae is being delusional again. Of course, Xiumin wanted to see him for another reason.

     But a Ballad Group? Jongdae thought. He admits that he likes singing but never really plans on being a singer. So surely, he would not accept Xiumin's offer.

     "Let's say that you found him, what if he turns down your offer?" Jongdae knows that he is asking way too many questions but he can't help it. It's not everyday that you get to chat with your super famous crush and it's not everyday that your super famous crush is searching for you, right? So just let Jongdae be.

     Xiumin frowned for a moment. "I have not really thought of that. But if Chen will turn it down then I will respect his decision." He said.

      "But how did you come to the conclusion that I may know Chen?" Jongdae asked, does Xiumin have a lead or was it just pure intuition? Because if it was the latter, he will really applaud Xiumin for hitting bull's eye.

     "Last week I was in your university for the audition. I heard him singing. I know that it's Chen, I could never forget his voice. Again, I was not able to catch him and again, he accidentally left something, his music player. That's why also want to see Chen to return this."

     Xiumin pulled the music player out of his pocket. His own earphone still attached to it. Xiumin had been listening to the songs in Chen's iPod since he found it.

     And Jongdae let out a small gasp. It's his music player. Right in front of him. Alive and still intact. Right now, all Jongdae wanted to do is hug Xiumin and thank him til' the end of the world. But he really cannot do that without revealing the truth to Xiumin. And an unknown part of Jongdae is hindering him from telling that he is the Chen Xiumin is looking for.

     Jongdae is afraid to see the disappointment on Xiumin's face once he tells him the truth. The person Xiumin saw that night was Chen, dressed in expensive suit, his hair set, on top of a stage playing the piano while hitting those high notes. That's Chen, a very cool guy. But right now, he is Jongdae, a junior student at Seoul National University, a waiter at a coffee shop dressed in shabby waiter uniform. Not cool.

     It took a moment for Jongdae to realize that Xiumin is speaking. He immediately willed himself to comprehend what the other is saying.

     "Even if Chen will not accept my offer, I would still want to see him, maybe ask him out from time to time. There is just something about Chen that draws me to him." Xiumin said, looking past his companion that Jongdae wonders if Xiumin is talking to him or to himself.

     But Jongdae cannot deny the fact that he is happy with what Xiumin had said. 'He did want to ”see” me after all'. Nonetheless, Jongdae is troubled. He is not the type who lets people in his life so easily. He has a reason for that. A reason that he could also not easily tell just anyone.

But would Jongdae be able to make an exception with Xiumin? It's not like Jongdae is obliged to tell him 'that' anyway. But what if Xiumin learns it himself? Would he still look at Jongdae, or at Chen the same way? He isn't so sure. Jongdae sighed. His head is spinning and he really can't understand his emotions. He needs time.

     Eventually, Jongdae will tell Xiumin. Eventually, but not now.

     Xiumin kept the music player back -to wherever it came from. Now, how could Jongdae get it back without revealing himself?

     "I think Chen is a violin major because most of the pieces here are for violin solos. Since you're also a violin major, I kind of hoped that you may know him." Xiumin said.

     "I... I do not know him, sorry." Jongdae bit his lip for lying.

     Xiumin shook his head and let out a small smile. "It's fine, you have nothing to apologize for."

     Now, the music player. How could he get it back. Think, Jongdae. Think. He quickly ransacked his brain for any ideas. He needed to come up with one, fast.

     "Can you help me find him?" Xiumin asked. "I mean, I really want to return the music player to him, Chen might think he already lost it."

     "Sure, I will." Jongdae nodded and smiled at Xiumin. And that is when a brilliant idea entered his mind. "If you want to find him faster, I suggest that you surrender the music player to the office." Jongdae said.

     Xiumin frowned. "How will that help me find him?"

     "When a student or a staff claims a lost item, they need to write down their name and student number on a log book." Jongdae explained.

     Xiumin immediately got Jongdae's point and smiled widely. That's right. With Chen's real name he could easily find him. "Thanks, I'll do that."

     "It's nothing." Jongdae replied. Xiumin's smile will forever be etched in his mind.

     Jongdae realized that he had been off the counter far too long. As much as he enjoys chatting with Xiumin, he also needs to get back to work.

     "Xiumin-ssi, it's really nice talking with you but I need to get back to the counter now."

     "Oh yeah!" Xiumin exclaimed.  "I'm sorry, I forgot that you're working, I hope you don't get fired because of me."

     Jongdae chuckled and reassured Xiumin that the manager won't kick him out. He stood up, smoothed his clothes then slightly bowed. "Thank you for your time."

     "Me too, thanks also for your time. I hope we could talk again some other day when you're free." Xiumin said.

     Jongdae smiled at the thought. "Sure, I would love to." He bowed one last time before turning around and heading for the counter. Upon arriving, Donghae bombarded him with questions to which Jongdae promised that he would answer later after their shift.

    

     Xiumin watched Jongdae's retreating figure. He never took his eyes off the latter even after Jongdae reached the counter and the other employee talked to him. Xiumin is pretty sure that Jongdae is being interrogated by now. He chuckled while watching them interact. He realized that Jongdae is really 'like that' to anyone.

     Xiumin noticed that during his chat with Jongdae, and even when he handled his class, Jongdae gives his full attention. He noted how Jongdae looks directly at the person talking, how he never took his eyes off him. Maybe it's the reason why Xiumin easily confided with him, because Jongdae shows that he is intent and sincere in listening.

 

     "What?! Why did you not tell him?" Donghae exclaimed in disbelief.

    They are currently cleaning the coffee shop, ready to close for the day. Jongdae helped on cleaning since he does not have classes the next day and Donghae seized the opportunity to continue bombarding him with questions. And Jongdae told him everything.

     Donghae continued on mopping the floor while Yesung is turning over the chairs, just listening to their conversation. Jongdae's at the counter, in charge with the day's sales.

     "I'm afraid hyung." Jongdae said.

     Donghae halted from his job, propping an elbow on the mop's top body and faced Jongdae. "What are you afraid of? Xiumin does not seem the type to-"

     "You know what I mean hyung.. It's about my... you know."

     Donghae sighed before walking to Jongdae's place. "It's not like you're obliged to tell him about that when you say that you are Chen. Just turn down his offer if you do not want it."

     "But he said that he still wants to see Chen even if he turns down Xiumin's offer."

     "You talk as if you're not Chen." Yesung commented but was duly ignored by the two.

     "It's still your choice Jongdae, like I said, you don't have to tell him about that if you do not want to."

     "But what if he finds out?" Jongdae asked, still uncertain. He'a afraid of the consequences. "What if he finds out about it and stopped seeing Chen?"

     Dobghae sighed again at how Jongdae talk about his self. "Then it's his loss, not yours. And may I remind you that you are Chen. You should be thankful that Jungsoo hyung is not here, or else you'll get an earful." Donghae said with finality before going back to his work.

     Jongdae's mind is still in a mess when he went back to computing the sales. Donghae said that it will be Xiumin's loss but Jongdae feels that it's also his loss. He already lost two major pedestals in his life. That's one reason why Jongdae is afraid of getting too attached to new people. He cannot handle another loss in his life.

 

A/N: I've fixed it. Sorry for the long hiatus. I'll update soon. :)) I'll make it up to you guys. :DD