3

CHEN-derella

 

Xiumin leaned back on the swivel chair as he listened to SNSD’s Himnae. Beside him is his mother who’s also doing the same thing, except that she’s bobbing her head up and down to the beat. Some songwriters and minor producers and technical crew are also present in the room. They’re currently listening to the last run-through of the songs that SNSD will be singing tomorrow for their concert. They’re inside the annex recording studio of KMS Entertainment. The building is two floors high; the first floor being the lobby and the second floor being the main studio. It is newly established and the equipment are also bran-new unlike those in KMS Entertainment Main Building. The annex recording studio just opened a month ago and SNSD members were lucky enough to be the firsts to use it.

                Xiumin stifled a yawn. He’s getting bored already. He had been listening to the same thirty-fives song for like 12,345 times in a month that they are nearing to sound monotonous in his ears. To ease his boredom, he pulled out his phone and started to play Temple Run. He must’ve played for like fifteen minutes before the run-through finally ended.

                “Good job everyone!” His mother said while standing up from her seat. “Our work here is done! Thanks for your hard work!”

                The people present inside the room bowed while also mumbling their thanks before scurrying out the studio. Xiumin glanced at the clock; it’s only 5:15 in the afternoon.

                “I saw this cute café near the studio. You want to go with me?”

                He looked at his mother and saw her fixing her things. “Your treat?” He asked with a smile.

                “Of course! When did I ever let you pay when you’re with me?”

                “Okay! Let’s go!” Xiumin exclaimed. It was true. His mother never let him pay for anything when he’s with her. Be it food, clothes, gadgets, everything. Meixiu knows that Xiumin can afford to buy everything he needs –and wants –but she just loves treating him like a baby.

                “Let’s go?” she nodded her head towards the door before Xiumin happily skipped to her side and entangled their arms. How can she just not treat him like a child when he acts like one?

               

                Jongdae felt a light tap on his shoulder. He looked up from the music sheets in his hands to see Donghae flashing him a hopeful expression. He removed the Beats from his ears before speaking. “Yes, hyung?”

                “Can you cover for me for ten minutes? I really need to answer Hyukkie’s call.” Donghae pleaded.

                Jongdae glanced at the empty counter before turning his attention back to Donghae. “Sure hyung, but ten minutes only okay?” he said then stood up while quickly fixing his things. Dongahe pulled him in for a bone-crushing hug.

                “Thanks Jongdae, you’re the best.” He said then let go.

                “Fine, fine. You better go your ten minutes starts now.” He said.

                Dongahe mumbled another chain of incoherent words of gratitude before scurrying off to the backdoor. He chuckled before finally heading to the counter. It’s a pretty boring Friday for him. It’s the last week of the semestral break that’s why he doesn’t have any classes. The whole two-week break, he spent it working at the café. He only worked half-day today because he wants to focus on finishing a song he had been writing. He lost the latest draft the other night and now, he had to go over some notes again. But Donghae interrupted him although it’s fine with Jongdae. He’s stuck on the bridge and he needs a diversion to somehow clear his mind.

                And Jongdae must’ve really been a Saint in his past life to get this kind of diversion.

                The bell on the door chimed; signaling the arrival of a new customer. Jongdae looked up only to have his breath hitched at the sight. He could feel the oxygen in his lungs quickly dissipate as he watched the newcomers took a vacant seat four tables away from the counter. Jongdae’s mind did a flip when he realized that one of them is coming his way.

                He watched as the man gracefully maneuvered across the tables and chairs. Jongdae can’t help but think how this man’s name fits him perfectly. ‘Xiumin, Xiu is the Chinese word for Grace.’ He thought. He knew Mandarin since his Mama Wei is a full-blood Chinese. Fu Weili thought Jongdae her native tongue when he was still a kid. Jongdae was eight when Weili gave him his Chinese name Chen –Fu Chen; Morning Bliss. Jongdae remembered asking his mother. “Why Chen Mama Wei?”

                “Because when you were infant, you rarely cry in the morning, you’re always blissful and happy after waking up. That’s why you’re Chen, which means morning and our Fu which means Bliss.”

                How Jondgae wished he remained an infant so he would always have Blissful mornings. Right now, his mornings are anything but blissful after waking up –especially if he wakes up to the annoying people in the house.

                A hand waving in front of his face broke Jongdae’s train of –deep –thoughts. He nearly gasped when he saw Xiumin already standing in front of him; his right arm stretched out towards him. He just wished he isn’t drooling as a side effect of his staring session.

                “So… can I order now?” Xiumin aked, his voice laced with a teasing tone. He smiled at the counter boy.

                “Ahh.. yes, sorry. What’s your order, sir?” Jongdae bit his lip in embarrassment and tried to avoid Xiumin’s gaze –to which he failed miserably. His eyes just won’t allow him to look somewhere else other than Xiumin.

                “I’ll have two Chai latte, one petite and one Grande and two Cinnamon rolls.”

                Jongdae repeated his order for confirmation as he punched it on the cashier. “That would be 12,000 Won.”

                Most of the customers place their money on the marble counter but Xiumin handed it to him directly. He felt bolts of electricity shot his spine when their thumbs accidentally brushed –okay, Jongdae admits, he half-intentionally brushed their thumbs. He slightly coughed to somehow get rid of the tingling feeling as he handed Xiumin his change and order number. “Thank you sir, we’ll just have one of our waiters bring the food to your table.”

                “Okay, thanks.” Xiumin smiled at him one last time before going back to their table.

                True enough, Donghae came back ten minutes later and took his place at the counter again. Jongdae went back to the table he was using earlier. He’s in the other side of the shop but he could still see Xiumin and his mother –yes, Jongdae knows that she is Xiumin’s mother; he’s done research –talking and playing? He’s not quite sure with the latter. They looked so happy though. He can see in them what he once was with his own Mama Wei.

                How she finally allowed him to play her violin. How she taught him the basics, the correct way to hold this and that, the correct way to glide the bow over the strings, the correct positioning of the fingertips and the correct notes. All the memories came flooding back to him like a broken water dam. Jongdae misses his parents very much. It had been four years; four years of pure torture misery under Oh Jung-gil so-called guidance. If he could, he would’ve already left them. Jongdae was sure he can do that wholeheartedly. But what he cannot possibly do is to abandon the house his parents built. It was their dream house; their big music box. The music represents the memories stored in it. Every rise of the note represents the happy memories and every drop of it represents that sadness and trials they have all undergone. The memories which he treasures so much are stored in that big box of music. That’s why he cannot leave the house.

                Jongdae sighed. He’s being too emotional and he’s in a public place for God’s sake. he glanced at the other side of the shop and was satisfied to see that Xiumin was still there. He pulled out the music sheets that he was working on earlier and focused on it. Jongdae was about to scribble a note when a white envelope appeared in his line of vision. He looked up and saw Jungsoo.

                “What’s this?” he asked as he hesitantly took the envelope. It can’t be his pay because he just got it a week ago.

                Jungsoo sat on the chair opposite him. “You told me you want to watch it. That’s tomorrow, right?”

                Jongdae, slightly confused, opened it and pulled out whatever’s inside. He gasped. “OMO!”

                Jungsoo chuckled at his reaction then ruffled his hair. “Enjoy the concert.”

                “Hyuuuuung!” Jongdae stood up and pulled Jungsoo in for a hug. “Thank you hyung! You’re the best! Really!” he said loudly and didn’t care if the customers are looking at their direction; shooting scrutinizing looks. He’s very happy now. And very excited! He actually wanted to buy a ticket of SNSD's concert for tomorrow with his own money but he needs to save it for his college tuition. (Jungsoo insisted on paying but Jongdae didn’t allow him.)

                “Thank you, hyung! Really! I can finally see SNSD!” Jongdae let go of the older only to ogle at the ticket in his hand. It’s not just an ordinary ticket; it’s the VIP Diamond kind. His place is in the pit section, front row; an arm’s length away from the stage. An arm’s length away from his favorite girl group. He feels like his heart is going to burst any minute now. ‘My poor fanboy heart.’ He thought.

                “You know you’re always welcome Jongdae. Enjoy the concert, kay?”

                “I will hyung! I will! Thank you again!”

                “Arasso. I’ll head to the back now, I’ll be there if you need anything.” Jungsoo reminded before leaving him alone.

                Jongdae sat back down, still smiling goofily at the precious VIP Diamond ticket in his hands. He giggled like a six-year-old before carefully placing it back in the envelope then inside his backpack. He was about to get back on the song when he caught sight of Xiumin and his mother looking his way, smiling at him. Embarassed, he did a slight bow before burying his face in his hands.

                ‘So much for a first impression, huh?’ he thought.

 

                It was half past nine when he arrived at their house. Jongdae found his step-father asleep on the couch, the TV displaying an on-going baseball match. Chips and cans of beet are scattered on the floor and tables and his ace immediately scrunched in disgust. The warm and homey feeling had completely left the house. He placed his backpack down for a moment before grabbing the remote control. He turned off the television then started cleaning the big mess the old man made. He swept the floor, wiped the tables, washed the dishes, and arranged the furniture. By the time he’s done, he’s covered in sweat and decided to take a shower. He grabbed his backpack and went upstairs to his room.

 

                “What are you doing here?” Jongdae asked as he tries his hardest to suppress the annoyance he’s feeling right now. He just got out from the shower and he found Kwangmin plopped on his bed; a sly smile plastered on his face. ‘What is it now?’ Jongdae thought.

                “Just want to see my loving step-brother who likes to give me his things.” Kwangmin replied in a mocking tone.

                Jongdae scoffed inwardly then trudged across the room. His eyes never leaving Kwangmin while drying his hair with a towel. “You saw me, now go.”

                “Tch, why are you so rude? Anyway, I’m going to watch SNSD’s concert tomorrow with my VIP Diamond ticket. Imagine how I close I would get to see them.”

                Jongdae rolled his eyes at Kwangmin’s attempt at making him envious –again. “Really? Good for you.” He said indifferently. “I thought your father didn’t buy you the ticket.”

                “He did but not the seat that I want. He bought the Gold one.”

                “Then where did you –“

                “In your bag, of course. Where do you think will I get it? Thanks by the way. You love giving me your things. You’re such a loving step-brother.” Kwangmin flashed a devious triumphant smile.

                Jongdae scurried over to his backpack. He found the envelope but inside was not the ticket Jungsoo bought him. It was Kwangmin’s –well used-to-be-Kwangmin’s –Gold ticket. “That’s mine!” He yelled at Kwangmin exasperatedly.

                “Not anymore!” Kwangmin stood up from the bed and approached the door. “See you at the concert tomorrow Jongdae.” He said then went out.

                Jongdae glared at the wooden door. His jaw and fist clenched in anger. The gold ticket being crumpled between his palms and fingers. He stood there; blazing with fury. Any minute now and he’ll set himself on fire.

                ‘Calm down Jongdae, don’t let him get to you.’

                He took a deep breath and did the action for twenty seconds. When he’s certain that he’s calm enough, he sat back down and straightened the ticket in his hand.

                ‘Upperbox B, Row I, Seat 22.’ He read. Now he felt like crying. His seat is like watching a colony of ants dressed in pink skinny jeans dancing to Gee. He wanted to tell Jungsoo what happened but it will only cause more trouble. He sighed and stared intently at the ticket.

                ‘Better Gold than nothing.’ He thought and he wanted to celebrate for being able to console himself. With a heavy heart he lay on his bed and drifted to sleep.

 

A/N: ……. I don’t know what to say…. Anyways, tell me what you think, neh???

                I realized that my writing style changed. I think this is the result of reading too much Amy Tan Novels. Anyone here who loves reading published novels –not just online fictions –I recommend you Amy Tan. Especially if you want to know more about Chinese customs and beliefs. I’m actually quite familiar with the Chinese beliefs because my grandfather is half-Chiense. My great grandmother is a full-blood Chinese. So I grew up exposed to Feng shui’s and whatnot but I never really believed in it. I remember when I was a child, there’s this wooden crescent-shaped thing –I don’t know what it’s called. My cousin says you make a wish then you drop it on the floor –what I did it tossed it upwards XD –if both of the crescent are facing up then your wish is going to come true, if both are facing down, then it will not, if one is facing up and one is down then it means 50-50. Right now, I still do it, but only for fun. My aunt scolds me for it. Haha.

                I talk too much. :P