11

CHEN-derella

     "What are we doing here?" Jongdae gasped before looking at XIumin, eyes full of wonder and awe.

     They are currently standing in front of the KMS Entertainment Annex Studio. XIumin led him here and Jongdae could only wonder why.

     "You can practice your piece here if you like. It's nearer than your university."

     Really?! I... I can?!" Jongdae asked, feeling ecstatic at the idea. Before Xiumin can ever open his mouth, he felt Jongdae's arms wrap around him. "Thank you so much! This is so great!"

     Unfortunately (for Xiumin), Jongdae unlatched himself immediately from him. XIumin felt a little empty at the loss of the younger man's warm hug.

     "Now I don't have to queue for a long time just to be able to use a music room. A lot of students are using it these days because of the College Symphony approaching." Jongdae said before averting his gaze from Xiumin to study the exterior of the said building. The walls are tinted black so he cannot see a single thing inside. He looked back at the producer beside him.

     "....speech you've said since we met." Xiumin said.

     "Huh?" Jongdae's brows scrunched in confusion.

     "Nothing." Xiumin chuckled at Jongdae's cuteness. "Let's go in."

     Xiumin led him inside. The first floor is a small lobby, different posters of the different artists of KMS Entertainment lined the walls. Jongdae trailed behind Xiumin as the older led him upstairs where they entered a Control Room.

     The walls of the room are dark blue in color and the floor is mahogany brown. There is a swivel chair in front of a huge equipment where you slide things up and down to change the dynamics of a music (Yes, Jongdae is seeing a Mixing Desk). Jongdae gawked at the sight. Every object in the room seems so high-class. In the corner of his eye, he saw Xiumin laughing, Jongdae turned to him.

     "What are you laughing at?" He spat.

     "You're cute when you're stunned." Jongdae's look turned into a glare. "Even more cute when you're pissed."

     "Yah!"

     "Don't 'yah' me, I'm older than you." Xiumin said then placed down the violin case that he is holding on a desk. JOngdae approached him, still with the glare.

     "Don't call me cute, I'm not." He said before opening the case. Xiumin just hummed in response, he then examined the violin, sliding his fingers along the fingerboard, Jongdae is observinghim subtly.

     "The strings are all broken." Xiumin commented as he straightened the broken G string, then his hand moved to the tailpiece. He noticed a word engraved on it and looking closer, he realized that it's a pinyin character. If only he is as fluent as his cousin Lay in Mandarin, he could have read it.1

     "What does this mean?" Xiumin pointed at the character.

     "Uhh.." He gulped. "I... I honestly don't know. Maybe it's the mark of the one who made the violin." He lied.

     "Really? Where did you buy this?" Xiumin asked curiously.

     "My father bought it when he had a orchestra performance in Beijing." Jongdae said which is a 'truth'.

     Xiumin made an 'O' with his mouth and it took a great deal for Jongdae to not laugh lightly. "You mean your father is also a violinist?" 

     "Yes." Jongdae nodded. "Both my parents are, and papa is also a luthier, one who repairs a violin. He taught how to do basic repairs on my own violin."

     "That's so weird, I mean, we both came from a family of musicians. Mine are producers while yours are violinist. I would love to hear all of you play!" Xiumin said enthusiastically but noticed Jongdae's crest-fallen expression and got worried. "What's wrong?"

     "That's not possible anymore. They are both.. umm dead." He said softly.

     "I'm sorry, I don't -" And there it is again. That painful tug in his heart as he sees Jongdae's sadness. Can he just hug him now?

     "It's fine, it's been a long time anyway. And I have Jungsoo-hyung and my other hyungs at the cafe."

     "Jungsoo is the manager, right? You two seems so close. What's your relationship with him?" Xiumin would want all of you guys to know that he is not jealous of the two's closeness. No, really, he is not jealous. He is just curious...and well... yeah.. a little jealous.

     "Jungsoo-hyung is my mom's friend, and he is my godfather, actually."

     "I see." Xiumin nodded and a huge grin painted his face and you guys know why.     

     "Anyway, I'm going to change the strings. Don't talk to me while I'm doing it. Don't even utter any sound, arasso?" Jongdae said firmly that all Xiumin could do is nod.

     He watched as Jongdae brought out the new set of strings from his bag. He started removing the G-string from the pegbox circled around the peg, one by one, up to the last string. He observed how Jongdae's brows scrunched in concentration and how his eyes would light up when he is done changing each string.

     Upon (very) closer look, Xiumin noticed Jongdae's defined jawline and a sudden urge of tracing it invaded his system. His gaze moved to Jongdae's lips, his teeth lightly digging onto the lower lip as the younger focuses harder on the task at hand. Xiumin does not know what Jongdae's lip biting is doing to him.

     He did not know that he is slowly leaning closer to Jongdae until the latter spoke and faced him, both realizing that their faces are mere inches apart.

     "I'm done with the-" Jongdae said as he turned to Xiumin, only to realize how close their faces are.

     "-strings..." He finished unevenly, eyes widening as the heat started to spread on his face.

     The two quickly pulled back and both felt awkward and embarassaed at what had just happened. Xiumin cleared his throat in an attempt to hide his disorientation. "Are you going to practice now?"

     "I still need to tune it, but I forgot my tuner at home."

     "We have a guitar tuner here, does that work for a violin?"

     "It does, it works for every instrument, actually."

     Xiumin nodded, thankful that he could feel the 'awkward air' dissipating. "Okay, wiat here, I'll get it." He said then went out for a while. He came nack three minutes later then handed the tuner to Jongdae.

     "Thanks." Jongae replied. He clipped the tuner on the violin then reached for the bow in the case. "Can I sit here?" He gestured for the swivel chair.

     "Sure sure."

     Jongdae smiled at him then sat on it and placed the violin vertically, between his thighs. He was about to slide the bow on the strings when he looked up again at Xiumin, suddenly remembering something.

     "Don't talk until I'm done tuning, okay?" He reminded.

     Xiumin chuckled at Jongdae. 'You're too cute.' he thought while nodded. And again, he watched as Jongdae slides the bow over the strings with his left hand and how he pressed down the strings or adjusts the pegs with his left whenever the indicator lights flashes green.

     At first, Xiumin ears wanted to bleed from the inharmonious sounds that he is hearing but gradually, the sounds became smooth and the next moment, Xiumin realized that Jongdae is already playing a piece. The music stopped for a moment when Jongdae placed the violin on his shoulder, but immediately carried on playing, now eyes closing periodically.

     Xiumin hears the beautiful melody and he could feel his heart swell with emotions at the wonderous tune. He wanted to be selfish, and believe that each note is being played only for him; only for his ears to hear and only for his heart to feel.

     It was like being warped into another place, where trees are shouting the season of autumn, their orange leaves gently being carried by the wind as it falls. Listening to the tune is like witnessing how lovers met for the first time and realizing their love for each other on the first greeting.

     "That... was amazing." Xiumin said when Jongdae finished the piece. "You play so... so..." Xiumin does not know the right word to say. He felt enchanted at the younger's performance.

     Jongdae's face heats up. "Thanks."

     "That was perfect. What is the title of the piece?"

     "It's Salut d' Amor by Elgar, it means Love's Greeting."

     Xiumin gently smiled at Jongdae. "Wonderful, Jongdae." He said, looking at Jongdae intently.

 

     

     "You did not have to walk me here, seriously. I'm a grown-up man, Xiumin.: Jongdae said when they arrived in front of Jungsoo's cafe.

     It's six in the evening and Jongdae finally called it a day from playing the violin. Xiumin had insisted on accompanying him on the way back to the cafe.

     "A grown-up man who managed to injure himself." Xiumin retorted

"Let that go, would you. It was an accident." 

"Hmm, whatever grown up man." 

Jongdae made a face (completely ruining his grown up man image). "Anyway, thanks for letting me use the studio." 

"It's nothing, you can use it anytime."

"I sure will!" Jongdae exclaimed. It was the best place where he had played so far.  

"See you tomorrow then?"

"Yeah, tomorrow, bye!" Jongdae waved and Xiumin waved back. Jongdae was about to enter the cafe when he felt Xiumin's hand on his shoulder.

"Xiumin?" He looked at the older man, puzzled.

"You were amazing today, Jongdae." Xiumin said then turned around and started to walk away, leaving Jongdae in a state of haze."

It's almost nine in the evening when Jongdae got home. Earlier when he stepped inside the cafe, his hyungs bombarded him with endless questions and it took him at least two hours to convince them that he just practiced his piece in Xiumin's studio and that nothing else happened. Jongdae is just thankful that he finally escaped their claws and got home.

Exhausted, he plopped himself down on the bed as he waited for his computer to load. When it did, the first thing that he checked is his (Chen's) mail to see if Xiumin sent an e-mail. He almost stumbled off his seat when he saw his inbox flooded with messages from the producer.

From: KMinseok 6:15 pm Chen! Chen! Chen!

From: KMinseok 7:08 pm Heyyyyy I need your helppp

From: KMinseok 7:32 pm CHEN~~~~~~~~~!

From: KMinseok 8:52 pm Are u home??? Are u home????? Answer me, asappppp cheeeeeen

Jongdae laughed softly as he scrolled past Xiumin's other mail, he's pretty sure that it all sas the same message. He clicked the 'Start Conversation' link.

Chen: What's up?

Minseok: Finally!

I need your help

or advice

or watevr u call it

Jongdae frowned. Xiumin is asking help from Chen when they (Jongdae and Xiumin) were together earlier, at least fifteen minutes before Xiumin messaged Chen. 'If he has a problem why didn't he tell me? I thought we're friends.' Jongdae felt slightly jealous at Chen.

Chen: Why, what is it?

Minseok: I think I'm starting to like someone

Jongdae did a double look at Xiumin's message before his heart (and jaw) dropped to the pits of the Tartarus. First, Xiumin told him earlier that he only sees Chen as a fried,and now...now he is saying (typing) that he is starting to like someone else?

Jongdae's heart just got broken (squared).

Minseok: he's my friend, a very good friend. He has helped me a lot these past months but I'm not sure how he sees me. Gah! I don't know what to do -___-

Jongdae begrudgingly typed down his reply. It's hard enough that the person Jongdae likes does not like him back, what more when that person is talking about the person he likes with Jongdae? Can someone just stab my heart now? He thought.

Chen: I don't know how I can help you with that. I have no experiences and I don't know who you are talking about.

Minseok: I'll tell you his name next time ^^ but let's call him 'Grown up Man' and it's okay, I just need someone to tell this, usually it's him who listens to my rants but...yeah.. I can't really rant this out to him

'GROWN UP MAN??' Jongdae exclaimed in his mid. Now what is this sorcery? Is Xiumin talking about him or what? Jongdae did not want to assume things... But then again, he did not fully assume that he is the 'Chen' that Xiumin is looking for then.

Chen: What do you like about him?

Minseok: He is really cute,if you'll ask me but what I really like about him the most is his eyes. He has that gaze that could see right through your soul. He's very genuine, in everything. You can see that he cares or if he's worried through his eyes. He always finds time to be with me and listen to whatever I'm saying even if he has work. I can't count the times when he had taken a couple of minutes off work just to listen to my problems.

Earlier someone hurted him, not physically though, and it also hurts me when I saw those eyes with tears. I wanted to hug him nd protect him from everything. I don't want him to get hurt anymore.

Then I invited him in the studio and there I had this urge to kiss him! Aigoo, I don't know what is happening with me. He plays the violin so... I don't know, it's as if everything I'll say to describe him will be an understatement.

Jongdae gaped at his screen as he read Xiumin's looooong message. What is happening with the world? Jongdae does not really want to assume that Xiumin is talking about him, afraid that he'll get his heart and hopes broken again... But every word is screaming KIM JONGDAE.

Except for the 'genuine' part. How could he be genuine when he is lying to Xiumin?

Minseok: Chen are u still there?

Chen: I'm here

can I have a wild guess?

Jongdae asked, unsure as well of what he's about to do.

Minseok: What do you mean?

Chen: I'll try to guess who that person is...

Minseok: Okay, I'll give u only one chance :)

'Yes, and that's all I need.' Jongdae thought as he typed down his answer.

Chen: Could Grown up Man be your friend, the one you said who's also a student in SNU with the same major as I? Could it be Jongdae?

Jongdae could feel his heart banging loudly against his chest. What will he do if Grown up Man isn't him? Most of all, what will he do if Grown Up Man is indeed him?

Minseok: Yes, it's Jongdae

It read, and Jongdae choked on his own saliva.