9

CHEN-derella

The month of October quickly passed. By the second week of the November month, Jongdae found himself getting out of the house with at least double layer of clothes. It had started to get cold and soon enough, snow will start to fall as well, and when that happens, Jongdae will have to add anothef layer of clothing. His usual walk from home to university, university to cafè, and cafè to home is starting to be a chore. And the same thing is happening with his College Symphony rehearsals.

The Music Major Junior students started to have their general rehearsals last week. Today would be the fifth day of the rehearsals because they do it thrice a week. As Jongdae hugged his coat tighter to himself, he cannot help but feel nervous, and somewhat annoyed. His hands felt so cold and numb and he is afraid it would affect his performance.

 It was not only him who feels uneasy about the rehearsals. Practically every Junior students who use stringed intruments do. It's pretty hard to feel the strings (what more to press them down) when they cannot even feel their hands and fingers. 

            When Jongdae reached the gates of SNU, he saw a couple of company cars from KMS Entertainment. Today is the quarter finals of the singing competition, which means Xiumin will be here. Another reason to add a pile of nervousness over him. Jongdae remembers how one time, Xiumin burst inside the cafè only to tell him that he had finally talked to Chen. 

Jongdae was not surprised, but he was torn between being happy and being guilty for Xiumin's sudden escalation of spirits. Though he cannot deny that Xiumin, after that episode, had become more lively, and he would like to believe that it is because of Chen talking to him every night. 

            And of course, every night, Jongdae is careful not to give away his true identity. Until now, he still has not told Xiumin his real name. Jongdae also refused Xiumin's constant invitation for a coffee (in Xiumin's favorite cafe, which happens to be the cafe where Jongdae is working). Also, Jongdae refused Xiumin's offer for him to train in their company. The producer had asked him one time if he knew Jongdae since they're of the same university and major. 'Chen' said he does not know, Jongdae had never had a class with him (not like he could remember every student in his class, especially the irregulars). 

            Jongdae groaned inwardly. He is making a real mess out of his life. 

            He felt someone grabbed his shoulder and immediately faced whoever it is whilst removing one of his earphones.

"Jongdae-ssi, I've been calling you for the past minute." Henry said, another violin major. In Jongdae's opinion, Henry is the most gifted in playing the violin.

"Sorry, I had this on." he showed the earphone, 'And maybe I was thinking too deep.' His mind added. "Do you need anything?"

Henry shook his head. "Nothing, really. Are you going to the auditorium?"

"Yes, do you want to walk together?"

"That was my plan."

"Let's go, then." Jongdae said and the two walked off to the direction of the said hall.

 

Jongdae just got home from university after another tiring day of the rehearsals. When he got inside, he saw his step-father Youngkwang, lying lazily on the couch, watching a football match, not even minding the state of mess the living room is in.

This is always the scene whenever his step-father is home. Youngkwang is mostly away becauseof his job, whatever it is. Jongdae believes it is none of his concern, but definitely, one of his major concerns is the state of the house whenever Youngkwang is home.

His step-father would stay for a month, three months even, if Jongdae's really unlucky, and in that short span of time, the old man can turn the entire first floor into a dumpsite. Leftovers on the counter. Spoilt food in the fridge. Cans of beer and bottles of soju in every single corner of the house. And bags and bags of crisps, and crisps, littered the floor. Not to mention the number of dishes pilinb up over the sink.

Jongdae's anger quickly rose. He's tired from the rehearsals, the cold is annoying him so much, and now he comes home to this?

Without thinking further, he grabbed the remote control from the table and turned the television off. Youngkwang turned to face him, disbelief on his face at what Jongdae had done.

"What the... Why did you turn it off?" He stood up and approached Jongdae.

"You can watch after you clean this mess you've made." Jongdae said indifferently.

"You do not tell what to do in this house. Now give me that damn remote." Youngkwang hissed and tried to grab the the remote control from Jongdae when the latter hid it behind his back.

"I'm not telling you what to do I'm ordering you." He said then turned around and headed to the dinning, leaving his stepfather fuming at his action. Jongdae was about to open the fridge door when a hand roughly grabbed his shoulder and forcefully turned him around.

"You ungrateful brat!" He spat bitterly at Jongdae. "I'm letting you live here in my house for free and you dare to disrespect me!"

"This is my parents' house, not yours! I have every right to live here!" Jongdae spat back. He knows he'll regret this later but he cannot  control his anger any longer. It's too much. It's just too unfair.

"You will not talk to me like that! I am older than you; it's time you show some respect!"

"Well it's time you earn it!" 

"One more and you are leaving my house, Kim Jongdae, I am warning you!" He pointed a finger at him. "I don't care if you are her son, but I will not tolerate your attitude towards me." He said then walked away. Jongdae followed suit as his stepfather walked to the direction of the living room.   

"You can't do that, this is my parents' house."  He said in a low growl, now suppressing the urge to yell.   

"Not anymore Jongdae. This is a conjugal property, when your mother died, she left this house in my name, and everything in it. You don't own anything, you don't have any right here. Weili left you nothing because she does not lo-"  

"No!" Jongdae cut him off. No. He cannot believe him. Jongdae knows, he knows that his Mama Wei loves him, even until now. He looked at his stepfather with eyes full of contempt. "I don't believe you. I will never believe you." He finally said before walking away. 

 

Jongdae slammed the door close when he reached his room. He immediately took out his violin and started to play the first piece that entered his mind, a piece by Mozart. 

 An angry sounding music filled his room. The way he slides the bow on the strings shows his rage, that one can only wonder why the strings aren't snapping yet. Even with his eyes close, his persistent tears managed to cascade down his cheeks. 

 'Why?' He silently asked. 'Why is life so hard for me?' All of the bad things he had been through flashed in his mind like a movie. His heart is filled with anger, and hurt, and loneliness, and madness. 

 Jongdae is not aware that he is putting too much pressure on the strings until all of them snapped and two strings roughly grazed his cheek.

 The music stopped. 

Jongdae stood there in the centre of his room. Tears mingled blood trickling down his cheeks. He stared blankly at the violin on his left hand. It wasn't the first time that he had broken the strings but it was the first time he broke all strings at once.

He gently placed down the violin on his bed then went to the bathroom to wash his face. He winced slightly when the cold water stung the cuts on his cheek.

'That is not going to go unnoticed by hyung' Jongdae thought. He could never lie about this and what had caused this. Jongdae suddenly regrets his impulsiveness. He doesn't want Jungsoo to worry any longer. But soon, he'll have some long explaining to do.

 And there's also his violin that is in need of new set of strings. And there's the stinging pain on his cheek as well. But at least, that heavy feeling in his heart was lifted. Jongdae's thankful for that.  

He went back to his room and a family photograph caught his eyes. It was a photograph of him and his parents. Jongdae went closer to his desk and took. 

"I miss you, I wish you both are here” he muttered.   

 Once again, he felt his eyes water but he blinked the tears back this time. "But don't worry about me, I'm strong. You believe in me, right, mama and papa?” He said and let out a genuine smile.

 

 

Jongdae swore that he never saw Jungsoo looked so menacing until now. With the older standing before him, arms crossed tightly across his chest, scrutinizing him with those murderous eyes. 

 Earlier, as soon as Jongdae entered the cafe, Jungsoo immediately noticed his cheek. Hece, the two are standing inside Jungsoo's office and Jongdae being interrogated how he acquired the wound. 

"Now tell me the truth, did that sick bastard hit you." Jungsoo spoke the words firmly. 

"No, hyung, he did not, I swear. The strings snapped before my face last night." Jongdae explained fervently. "He did not do anything.." 

"Except threatening you of getting kicked out of the house, is that it?" 

"Yes." Jongdae mumbled after a few seconds.

Jungsoo let out a loud sigh, finally dropping his menacing aura. His murderous gaze was replaced with worry. "Jongdae, I know how much you love the house and I also know that your stepfather does not have the right to kick you out but," he stepped closer to Jongdae who's looking at him intently, before gently grabbing his shoulders. "Jongdae, you could just live with me, in my house, away from that sick family. At least, in that way I could watch over you more." 

Jongdae could feel the tears form in his eyes. He was so touched at Jungsoo's concern for him. And Jongdae knows that it's not just because the older promised to his parents that he'll look after him, but because he knows Jungsoo loves him like a son he never had.

"Hyung, I'm so thankful to have you, really, iI don't know what I'll do without you but I can't leave the house, especially not to people like them. Hyung, that house means everything to me." 

It's not really the only thing Jongdae's parents left him. In fact, they left a lot of things for him but even if the house is indeed the last and only thing, Jongdae still would not let it go.

"Plus, i can take care of myself hyung." Jongdae added.

"Says the one who just injured himself." jungsoo ruffled Jongdae's hair earning a whine from the younger. "I know you are a strong person, Jongdae, and I believe in you. But your stepfather needs a piece of my mind. He doesn't have the right to do that."  

"Hyung, you're not thinking of confronting him, right?" Jongdae asked, suddenly afraid of the determination in Jungsoo's eyes.

"No." Jungsoo said, Jongdae woud have breathed in relief if the older did not add "actually, I plan to," 

"Hyung, don't please!" Jongdae protested. 

"And why?" 

"Hyung, don't trouble yourself with him, really. I'm fine, I can handle him. You trust me, right?" Jongdae said with the voice and eyes that he knows Jungsoo could not say no to.

"Ugh, fine" Jungsoo yielded and raisd his hands in defeat. "Fine, I trust you, but! If he ever threatens you again, tell me and I swear I'm gonna brew his head and donate it to the morgue." 

Jongdae laughed at him, and soon Jungsoo followed. Now he could breathe in relief for convincing the older to not confront Youngkwang. Jongdae knows that it would only make matters worse if he lets that happen. And he does not want Jungsoo to get in trouble.

"Aah, but I have another problem." Jongdae said and Jungsoo looked at him questioningly. "I need to get the strings replaced.”

"Okay, I'll just let you off today, you go have your violin fixed, you need it for the rehearsals." Jungsoo said before grabbing his wallet from the desk and pulling out a card. He handed it to Jongdae who just stared at it blankly. 

"For what?" he asked. 

Jungsoo flicked his forehead with the card making Jongdae scowl at him. "Idiot!  Use it to pay for the strings, come on, take it." 

"It's okay hyung, I still have money from..." Jongdae tried to reason out but Jungsoo grabbed his hand and made him hold the card.

"Just take it, and save your own money." the older said firmly. 

"Thank you hyung, you're the best." he said and flashed him a smile to which Jungsoo returned. 

 

 

Eniize26: AFF is trolling with my phone, it won't let me post there and excuse the errors, I only typed it using my phone. Anyway, here it is. Tell me what you think guys!

I loved writing this chapter. :D