10

CHEN-derella

 

     Jongdae arrived in front of the 'Music World' shop. It's a little shop near the university that sells musical instruments. With the violin case in his hand, Jongdae entered the glass doors.
 
     Rows and rows of different musical instruments welcomed his sight. The faint smell of wood lingers in the air and a lively classical piece is playing in the background. But Jongdae cannot hear it since he had his earphones on. A few customers are inside; including him. He approached the man behind the counter before removing the buds from his ears. 
 
     "Good afternoon sir, what can I do for you?" The man greeted. 
 
     "I need strings for my violin." Jongdae replied while looking at the man intently that the latter is slightly creeped out. 
 
     "What string?"
 
     "All four, please."
 
     "Okay, please wait a moment." The man said before facing the glass cabinet behind him and opening it. 
 
     Jongdae looked around him, checking out some of the guitars hanging from the ceiling. When he turned back to face the counter, the man is looking at him, as if waiting for an answer. 
 
     "Sir?" The man asked.
 
     "I'm sorry, I did not hear what you said." Jongdae said, slightly embarrassed. He let his guard down again. 
 
     "We have two brands of strings here, which one would you like to get?" The man repeated, now feeling uncomfortable under Jongdae's gaze. He's gesturing for the strings on the counter but his current customer is still looking at him intently, and not at the strings. 
 
     "I'll just take this one." Jongdae pointed at the one on the right. "Two of each string, please." He added, in case he manages to break the strings again, he'll have a replacement. 
 
     After paying for the strings -using Jungsoo's card, of course -Jongdae thanked the man and headed out of the shop, only to bump into someone (literally). That someone turned out to be none other than Xiumin. 
 
     "Sorry Xiumin-ssi, I was not paying attention to where I was going." He quickly apologized.
 
     "It's fine. What brought you here?" Xiumin asked with a smile. 
 
     Jongdae's breathe hitched at the sight. Xiumin looks so adorable in a black beanie, and like him, the older is also wearing a double layer of clothing. Except that Xiumin is more noticeable, what with that black and yellow parka that he is wearing.
 
     "I needed new strings for my violin. How about you?"
 
     "Nothing, just walking around." Xiumin shrugged. "So are you going anywhere else?"
 
     Jongdae nodded. "Yeah, I have to go to the university, it's the only place where I can practice my piece." Plus, he also needs to change the strings and tune his violin. And speaking of tune, he forgot his tuner at home! 
 
     Whatever, he'll just borrow one from the university.
 
     "Are you in a hurry?" Xiumin asked expectantly.
 
     "Uhmm, not really, why?"
 
     "Good!" The older chirped. "Let's eat there, my treat!" And without any warning, he grabbed Jongdae's hand and led him to a shop across the street.
 
     Jongdae was slightly taken aback by Xiumin's action. And Xiumin holding his hand is not a great help either. He could feel his heart plummeting as he lets himself get dragged inside what seems to be a cupcake shop. 
 
     Xiumin's hand is soft and warm. He would want to hold it forever but that would look awkward to the other people around (including Xiumin), now that they have reached a vacant table. 
 
     "The cupcakes here are really good. You should try the..." And Xiumin went on blabbering about the different flavors offered in the shop. Jongdae chuckled inwardly at Xiumin's  enthusiasm  as he kept on explaining what's inside this and that. 
 
     And all the while, Jongdae never took his eye off him. It made him wonder how Xiumin never showed any signs of being uneasy or uncomfortable, unlike most people that Jongdae would talk with. Earlier in the music shop, he sensed the man's discomfort as well, so he just chose whatever strings are there and ended the transaction. 
 
     "What would you like to eat?" Xiumin asked. 
 
     "I'll just have whatever you'll have." Jongdae said, since he does not have any  idea what tastes good or bad here. Though he's sure that Xiumin mentioned something about kimchi-flavored cupcake.
 
     "Are you sure?" Xiumin asked and Jongdae noticed the hint of playfulness from his eyes. 
 
     'What is this man up to?' He thought, but still nodded to answer Xiumin's question.
 
     "Okay, stay here, I'll place our order." Xiumin instructed before heading to the counter with a smile. 
 
     Jongdae shook his head slightly, whatever Xiumin is up to, he'll just let him be. He trusts Xiumin and his taste. 
 
     
     Ten minutes later, Xiumin returned with their food, and Jongdae realized why Xiumin hinted playfulness a while ago. The damn producer ordered two giant cupcakes, complete with rainbow-colored sprinkles over a blue-colored, bubblegum-flavored cream. There are also chocolate chips on the side and a wafer stick is struck on the cupcake itself. There is also a caramel dip in a saucer.
 
     "Are you sure this is still a cupcake?" Jongdae asked when Xiumin finally sat down. "And good luck if you don't get diabetic after eating all this."
 
     Xiumin chuckled. "It's fine. It's not that high in sugar. Come on, eat!" He gestured for Jongdae to take a bite. 
 
     Jongdae reached for a fork and took a chunk before dipping it into the caramel. He opened his mouth then realized that Xiumin is observing him. 
 
     "It's rude to stare at people who are eating."
 
     "You just look so cute with your expression. Don't worry, I'm not poisoning you. Come on, try it."
 
     Jongdae took a tentative bite.
 
     And Xiumin is right, it is good. As good as a caramel-dipped cupcake complete with bubblegum-flavored cream and rainbow-colored sprinkles could be without tasting too sweet. He noticed that Xiumin had also started eating.
 
     "It's good right?" Xiumin asked while chewing.
 
     "Don't talk when your mouth is full." Jongdae lightly reprimanded. "Are you a child?"
 
     "Sorry."
 
     "What did I say?"
 
     Xiumin gulped down. "Sorry."
 
     "Why did you drag me here?"
 
     "Nothing, just felt like it." Xiumin said before taking another bite. 
 
     "You're weird."
 
     "I know."
 
     "I said don't talk when your mouth is full." Jongdae reprimanded again.
 
     Xiumin just smiled at him sweetly. "Anyway, what happened to your cheek?" He asked after chewing, and his face turned somewhat serious.
 
     "Oh this?" Jongdae touched the wound. "I was playing the violin when the strings snapped."
 
     "You should be careful next time. Don't ruin your cute face."
 
     "Shut up, I'm not cute." Jongdae scowled at him to try to hide the blush creeping up his face.
 
     "Rude." Xiumin snickered. 
 
     "Whatever. How are you and Chen?" Jongdae asked, changing the subject. "Are you still talking with him?"
 
    Xiumin was about to answer when Jongdae gestured for him to finish his food first. "Yes, we still talk and he still keeps on refusing my invitation. But unlike last time, i don't take it so bad anymore."
 
     "I noticed." Jongdae nodded in agreement. "You're not mopping around like a kicked out puppy anymore."
 
     Xiumin made a face at Jongdae's description of him. "Do you remember that time when you asked me if I like Chen?"
 
     Oh yes, Jongdae remembers very well, alright? And until now, he still does not want to know Xiumin's answer because it might make him even guiltier or break his heart. 
 
     But Xiumin is no mind reader, he does not know what's going on inside Jongdae's head. So, not even giving Jongdae the time to answer, he continued to speak. "Maybe I do like him as a friend. Yes, I was attracted to him at first, but getting to know him more (as more as a person can get to know another over a Social Networking Site), I realized that I don't like him that way. If you know what I mean."
 
    "Oh." Jongdae muttered dully. Was that the sound of his heart shattering in a million pieces? Because he is sure he heard it inside him. And he hoped Xiumin did not hear it. Why did Xiumin had to bring that question up?
 
     No.
 
     It was not Xiumin's fault. It is Jongdae's own fault. If he had not brought Chen up, Xiumin would not have been reminded of that question. Jongdae would not have to hear Xiumin's answer. Jongdae would not have his heart broken. 
 
     How did this even happen? Why did it have to come up to this?
 
     If only Jongdae had told Xiumin who he really is much earlier. If only Jongdae  had not been such a coward.
 
     No. Absolutely no.
 
     If only Jongdae had not accepted that damned job that night then none of this would have happened. But would he really want that to not happen? If he refused the job, he would not have met Xiumin. Xiumin would not have heard his voice. Would not lead him to that dressing room where he left his song. Would not lead him to the music room where he found the music player. Would not lead Xiumin to Jongdae. If he refused the job, they would not be this close now.
 
     But he would not be this heart broken as well.
 
     Jongdae felt a light tap on his shoulder. He had not realized that he had averted his gaze from Xiumin. He immediately looked back at the older. "Sorry, what were you saying?"
 
     "Uhhh... Your friend." Xiumin said and pointed behind Jongdae.
 
     Jongdae turned his head. And as if a pail of cold water was thrown at him, he jolted up from his seat at the sight of his stepbrother. "Kwangmin, what are you doing here?"
 
   "Relax Jongdae, you look as if you have seen a ghost. It's just me, your brother Kwangmin." He said in an undertone. "You did not tell me you are acquainted with the producer Kim Minseok?" Kwangmin continued and Jongdae saw him flash a smile at Xiumin's direction.
 
     "Hi! I'm Kwangmin, Jongdae's stepbrother." He stretched out his arm for a handshake which Xiumin accepted.
 
     "I'm Xiumin, Jongdae's friend. Nice to meet you, Kwangmin."
 
     "Jongdae's friend!" Kwangmin exclaimed, as if it was an absurd idea, like it was not logical to happen. "Well, I'm glad Jongdae finally found a friend. People tend to avoid him because of his stares, doesn't it creep you out? And he is absent-minded all the time. Even at home, he does not talk much, well not that anyone wanted to talk to him anyway, he prefers doing the house chores. My friends even mistaken him as a maid once."
 
     "Anyway, if you get tired of him, I'm here, I can be your friend as well. Bye!" Kwangmin waved then walked away as if nothing happened. 
 
     Jongdae stood frozen in his spot. His hands balled into a fist as he glared at Kwangmin's retreating figure. His eyes could produce lightning any moment now.
 
     Why? Why does Kwangmin always have to ruin everything? He just got humiliated, worse, it had to be in front of Xiumin.
 
 
 
     Xiumin could feel the building tension between the two. Even for a stranger like him, he could see that Jongdae and Kwangmin does not have a smooth relationship. And to be honest, he thinks that Kwangmin has some serious attitude problems.
 
     Jongdae's stares are not creepy. In fact, his stares relaxes Xiumin. It gives the assurance that someone is intent on listening to him, that Jongdae is really listening to everything that he is saying. Plus, Jongdae is not absent-minded, well he spaces out most of the time but that's because (Xiumin believes) Jongdae just think things through deeply. Which is a good trait. And what if he likes doing house chores? It's another trait that most guys lack today (including Xiumin himself). 
 
     "..... I can be your friend as well. Bye!"
 
     'Befriend someone like you? I would rather befriend a rat' Xiumin thought. 
 
   He saw how Jongdae glared at Kwangmin and how he balled his fist. He is very rigid.
 
     "Jongdae..." He called but the younger did not seem to hear him. "Jongdae-ah..." He called again. Still, no response. He reached out for Jongdae's fist.
 
     Xiumin does not know why but ever since he held Jongdae's hand earlier, he felt like not wanting to let go anymore. The warmth of his hand felt so right to Xiumin. 
 
     He saw that Jongdae was shocked at the contact he initiated. And he also saw how those eyes glistened with tears. And how Jongdae is trying so hard not to let the tears fall. Something pulled at Xiumin's heartstrings at the sight. He wants to hug Jongdae right then and there, to protect him from things like these.  Hug him until he could not feel anything else but Xiumin's arms around him. 
 
     Xiumin miraculously resisted the urge to do so and opted to give Jongdae a reassuring smile. A smile that says he will be right here for Jongdae. 
 
     "Let's go?" It was more a statement more than a question. He lifted Jongdae's violin case from the ground with his other hand and led the both of them out of the shop.
 
     "Where are we going?" Jongdae asked when Xiumin continued to lead him to a different route they've come earlier. The older is still holding his hand and he does not have anything against that. 
 
     Xiumin turned back to face Jongdae and flashed him a wide smile. "You'll see."
 
     
 
Eniize26: some XiuChen action. :) tell me what you think, neh?