15

CHEN-derella

     'I should not have told you that but I promised Weili that I will take care of her son, of Jongdae.'

     Xiumin is in his room, laying idly on his bed. He had been staring at the ivory ceiling for God-knows- how-long with Jungsoo's words ringing in his head; they were searching for Jongdae at that time.

     'Jongdae had kept it from you and lied to you because he's afraid that it will change how you see him. But he had kept it long enough; he's too confused. Now that I've told you his secret..." Jungsoo trailed off and Xiumin looked at him questioningly, they stopped in their tracks and the older looked at him sternly.

     "...if you ever felt --even in the slightest bit that something changed about your feelings for Jongdae, then leave now. And if you do, please, don't ever show yourself again to him. You don't even have to explain yourself, Jongdae will understand. I know that at some point, he had already prepared himself for it."

    Xiumin abruptly sat up, as if struck by some lighting of revelation. Jungsoo is right, he should not be the one telling Xiumin this. He should not be the one to decide if Xiumin will leave or not, or if his feelings for Jongdae changed.

   And yes, Jungsoo is right. His feelings for Jongdae did change; it increased --if that was even possible. If love could advance in a higher lever, like beating a high score game, then that was what happened. He had decided; he will talk to Jongdae. Xiumin cannot let Jongdae avoid him any longer. If he had to wait, he will, until Jongdae is ready.

     Because he loves Jongdae that much.

 

 

     The next day, after dropping by the cafe, Jongdae came home. His heart fell at the sight; the room is unbelievably clean --and quiet --and cold. It's the first day of December and Jongdae imagined how at this day, he and his step-brothers should be arguing about what and where to put Christmas decorations. He exhaled a shaky breath before going upstairs. He passed by Kwangmin's room and stood in front of the closed door for a minute.

     'They moved out already. Do they hate me that much?' He thought and stared at the doorknob and his blurry reflection on it, mind racing with thoughts. He willed himself to stop thinking and turned around. His heart almost leaped out from shock.

     "Kwangmin! What the-" He blurted out and the said person raised an eyebrow at him.

      "I told you to move, thrice, are you deaf or what?"

     "Sorry, I did not hear you. What are you doing here?"

     "Can't wait to get rid of me, huh?"

     "That's not what I meant."

     "I just forgot something." Kwangmin said and was about to enter his room (used-to-be-room) when Jongdae stopped him. He looked at the latter, feigning an annoyed face. "What?"

     "You don't have to leave, you guys can stay here if you want." Jongdae said sincerely.

     Kwangmin looked at him blankly before speaking. "Do you know why I hate you so much?"

     "I do, you told me last time." Jongdae replied despite being confused why Kwangmin suddenly brought it up again.

     "No, you don't." Kwangmin said, shaking his head. "I envy you, typical step-brother problem, right? I never knew it could really happen. I envy you because you're talented, your could sing and play at least three instruments. You're smart and kind, too kind. We don't deserve your kindness, Jongdae." He said softly and Jongdae felt a painful tug in his heart. "But your stares are really creepy, do you know that."

     Jongdae chuckled lightly. Kwangmin is still Kwangmin after all. "Do you want to know why I do that?" He asked, Kwangmin gave a stiff nod. "When I'm talking to someone, I need to see their expression and their lips."

     Kwangmin raised his brow again, clearly disoriented at what Jongdae had said. "I don't get you."

     "I lost my hearing, Kwangmin. After that accident, I lost our mother and my sense of hearing, well not entirely. Jongdae said lightly and realized how at ease he felt now that he had voiced it out.

     Kwangmin pulled up a skeptic face. "Yeah right." He scoffed. "How come you could still talk to people and play violin?"

     "I lipread, and strangely enough, I could hear faint sounds of musical instruments that's why I could still play."

     "You're kidding." Kwangmin laughed in disbelief. "You have got to be freaking kidding me, Jongdae." He said dryly and the both of them fell silent. Kwangmin's expression became serious as it finally dawned on him the truth of Jongdae's words.

     "I'm sorry." He said in a low voice. "I have been a real jerk to you, wasn't I?"

     Jongdae smiled weakly. "Yes, but it's nothing now, let's forget about it."

    "I'm sorry also, for what I did to you and Xiumin. Because of me, you two--"

     Jongdae's smile quickly vanished. For the first time that day, the producer entered his mind. He bit his lip and lightly shook his head. "Don't mind it, I knew it was all too good to be true."

     

     After Kwangmin had gathered all his things, Jongdae hailed a ca for him and helped him load his things in the car. Kwangmin opened the door of the passenger's seat but before he went in, he faced Jongdae. "Just because I have apologized, doesn't mean that I'll start being kind." He said with an attitude that Jongdae knew so well.

     Jongdae laughed. "I understand, but you guys are welcome here anytime."

     "Like we's want to go back in this house." Kwangmin retorted. "I'll get going now."

     The two exchanged a nod and Kwangmin got in. Jongdae stood there as he placed his freezing hand in his coat pocket, watching the retreating figure of the cab. A soft smile grazes his lips. He knows that how him and Kwangmin treat each other will never change. They would always be like Tom and Jerry, and like Tom and Jerry, there would always be this bond that they both share that will never get broken.

     But it still does not change the fact that he lives alone now. The home is unbelievably big, Jongdae thinks as he steps into the living room. With those annoying people gone and with little chores to do, Jongdae would have a lot of time to think. 

     And most of the things that would enter his mind are troubling, especially thoughts involving Xiumin.

    When Jungsoo told him that he had mentioned to Xiumin his disability, Jongdae did not know what to think of feel. Should he be relieved or worried? He did not see Xiumin at the cafe earlier. Jongdae knew that he should clear things out with him and ask for a proper apology but he does not know how to face the man, he does not know how he will start.

     Jongdae groaned in dismay as he let his body fall freely on the couch. It was as if he head not learned anything from the recent happenings in his life. 'I'm still a coward.' His mind chanted. He still cannot face his fears. He still cannot face the fact that he had attempted to end his life days ago. How in the world was he able to reach that conviction?

     Jongdae willed himself to stop his train of thoughts and moments later, he fell into oblivion.

 

 

     "Move it to the left a bit." Jongdae instructed at Jongwoon who is on top of a ladder. The two are outside the cafe, placing Christmas decorations. Jongwoon tilted the 'Happy Holidays!' banner slightly to the said direction before turning to Jongdae, meters below him.

     "How about that?" He asked.     

Jongdae instinctively took a step back to examine Jongwoon's work when his back accidentally bumped onto someone. He quickly turned around to apologize but the words got stuck in his throat.

     "Be careful, it's kind of slippery." Xiumin said softly when Jongdae showed no intention to speak.

     "I..." Jongdae gulped. "Yes... I'm sorry." He bowed slightly and attempted to walk back inside when he felt a hand circled around his arm. He looked back at Xiumin, his heart doing triple somersaults inside his chest.

     "Can we talk?" Xiumin asked, his eyes pleading.

     "I have work today--" 

    "I'll wait for you."

     "But it won't be til--"

     "I'll wait for you, Jongdae." Xiumin said firmly. "I'll see you later." he let go of Jongdae arm and went on his way.

     Jongdae let out a breath that he had been unconsciously holding. He cannot escape now. He has to face Xiumin. He's uncertain yet, at the same time, he's also slightly looking forward to it.

 

 

     At quarter to six in the evening, Jongdae saw Xiumin enter the cafe and his heart started to plummet again. He almost wanted to bang his head against the marble counter for reacting like this.

     Twenty minutes later, Jongdae found himself sitting in front of Xiumin; in the producer's office in the recording studio. He fidgets in his seat, his fingers playing with the hem of his shirt. They have been sitting there for three minutes, none of them speaking. He cannot even look at Xiumin in the eyes directly anymore, and he opted to fix his gaze on the album rack behind the man. Jongdae swore he had memorize the order of the albums.

     Another minute passed by and Jongdae feels as if he is going to lose his sanity from this silent tension. He has to speak now, and mustering all his bravado together, he met Xiumin's eyes.

     "Jungsoo-hyung told you." He started.

     "Yes."

     "I'm sorry for not telling you earlier and that it had to come form someone else. I know you gave me a chance to explain myself, but I was a coward." He said.

     "I lied to you because I was afraid how you would look at me if you found out about my disability. I understand if you cannot find it in your heart to forgive me but I really am sorry." Jongdae does not know where he pulled out the courage to say all of that but one thing is for sure; he meant every word.

     "Jongdae..." Xiumin said with the look that Jongdae knew all too well.

     He shook his head. "Don't, please. The last thing that I want to receive is pity. I have seen that look, enough to last for a lifetime. I understand that this is my weakness but I do not want to get pitied for it."

     Xiumin remained silent.

     "It's because of an accident." Jongdae continued and this time, he felt braver. "Five years ago, I got into an accident that killed my mother and damaged my sense of hearing. I was so afraid, one day I just woke up, it was very silent... no, it wasn't" He recalled, relieving his memories.

     "It wasn't silence, it was a loud beeping sound and it kept on ringing in my head. I shouted but I barely heard anything except that. Then everyone came, they were talking but I cannot hear them. I called for my mother but she did not come, it was Jungsoo-hyung who did."

     Jongdae blinked back the tears that are threatening to fall. The shock of his misery is as sad as his dread. "I wanted to die too, I told him, but Jungsoo-hyung took care of me and made me see life again. For a long time, I had not played any instruments, I thought I could abandon it forever but I could not. My heart yearned for it. When I held my violin again, my fingers were shaking. I slide the bow and that time, I felt very happy. I could hear it, it's a faint sound but I could hear.

     "I have always loved music even before I became conscious that I love it. If I could not play properly with my hearing gone then I can always do so with my heart."

     Jongdae smiled softly, somehow, it felt as if he is talking to himself more than to Xiumin. It was like him reminding himself what he had gone through and what keeps him going even more. He's looking at the man before him but Jongdae is not really seeing Xiumin. He is basking in the feeling of a heavy weight being lifted from his shoulders. A heavy boulder being lifted from his heart.

     His focus materialized back to Xiumin's face and Jongdae was pulled back from his thoughts, suddenly feeling flustered. "I'm sorry for blabbering, I ju--"

     Jongdae's next words were swallowed by Xiumin lips, gently colliding with his own. It was brief, gone as fast as it had come. Just enough to shut him up and make fall into an endless pit of questions.

     Xiumin's eyes bore into him, penetratng his soul and rapidly beating heart. He looked at the man, befuddled, his mouth agape.

     "I don't care if you're deaf, or blind, or mute. All I care about is you knowing how much I love you, Jongdae." Xiumin said, his face alarmingly close that Jongda could feel the warmth of Xiumin's breath on his face.

     Xiumin's hand that was on Jongdae's nape (Jongdae wasn't even aware of it) slid down to his shoulder, travelled along his arm, until it caught his own. Jongdae looked down at their connected hands as Xiumin held it tightly, only to have his chin tilted upwards with Xiumin's free hand, their gazes meeting again.

     "I love you, Jongdae. There's nothing to ask forgiveness for, I cannot say that I completely understand you but I love you and nothing can change that. Now, if you don't feel anything for me, even for a little bit, then tell me to stop.

     And once again, their lips crashed together. It was not a kiss to shut him up, it's a kiss meant to deliver Xiumin's feelings, Xiumin's love to Jongdae. Xiumin's hand traveled back to Jongdae's nape, holding him in place as their lips danced. Gradually, Jongdae's eyes slipped close and he responded to Xiumin's inviting move. Their lips molded in a slow Tango, their hearts in a jive, and their feelings whirling and spinning together in a Waltz.

     When their lips parted, it is through ragged breathes and deep stares and warm smiles. 

     "You did not stop me." Xiumin said. "You have to take responsibility." He jeered, making Jondae laugh and he just realized how much he missed that laugh. "I miss you."

     A wave of emotions washed over Jongdae like a tidal wave. "It's barely a week that we have not seen each other."

     "Five days is long if you love someone."

     Jongdae looked down in an attempt to stop the heat from spreading over his face. "I miss you too." Was all he managed to say.

 

 

     "So, we're both half-Chinese." Xiumin chirped.

     It's the start of Christmas break, Xiumin and Jongdae is hanging out at the cafe that Monday morning.

     "Can you speak Mandarin?" He asked Jongdae. 

    "Apart from Hello, Happy Birthday, and I love you --"

     "I love you too." Xiumin interjected and smiled widely at him.

     "Whatever." Jongdae waved him off. "I can't really speak the language."

     "Me too."

     Jungsoo approached them and lightly twisted their ears. They turned to the manager, both face scrunched in pain.

     "If you tow aren't going to order anything, go somewhere else because you're occupying the seats meant for customers." Jungsoo scolded before kicking them out of the cafe.

 

     "Well, the manager just kicked us out." Xiumin mused. "Where do you want to go?"

     "Anywhere." Jongdae replied.

     "Hmm, let me just search on Google maps where 'anywhere' is located." Xiumin said then pulled out his phone.

     Jongdae kicked him on the knee lightly. I hate you. I'm going home." He said and started to walk away. Xiumin laughed and followed him, until they were side by side. He felt warm hand intertwine with his own and Jongdae looked up at Xiumin.

     "Tsk, I told you to wear gloves, your hands are so cold."

     Jongdae smiled. "It's fine, I have your hand to keep it warm anyway." He said.

     "You're cheesy."

     "Fine, I take back what I said." Jongdae's smile was replaced with a deadpan expression. "And I take back my hand." He said and lightly pulled out his hand from Xiumin's grasp.

     Xiumin held it tightly and even pulled Jongdae closer to him. "No, it's mine. You're mine." He said and laid his head on Jongdae's shoulder as they walked to the direction of Jongdae's house.

     'Now, who's cheesy.' Jongdae thought but decided to remain silent.

 

 

Eniize26: I'm realllllllyyy soooorrryy for not updating for a long time! I was really busy. Anyway, he're chapter 15 :DDDD And I want to tell everyone that Chen-derella is going to end soon. I'm actually writing the last chapter now. Re-writing it actually, I've revised for like three times now, I can't seem to find the right way to end it. Or maybe I just don't want to end it. T__T

anyway, tell me what you think! :))