12

CHEN-derella

     The glass doors of the cafe opened and Jongdae quicly perked his head up from the cashier to see who just came in. He looked away in dismay when the person who entered wasnot who he was expecting. From the corner of his eye, he saw Donghae snickering, he did not waste time to shoot a glare.

     "Waiting for someone, Jongdae?" Donghae teased.

     "I'm waiting for you to get away from me before I do something you won't like, hyung."

     Donghae raised both his hands, yielding. "Chill Jongdae, you're so hot today. Something must have happened yesterday, are your step-brothers being a pain again?"

     "No, they're not and nothing happened. Just top pestering me, hyung. Please." Jongdae hardly begged.

     "Fine fine. You're just unbelievably moody today, are you nervous or are you just on PMS?" 

     Jongdae glared at him again and Donghae quickly mouthed 'sorry'. He glanced at the wall clock. "It's almost 1 in the afternoon, don't you have rehearsals today?" He changed the subject.

     Jongdae gasped, he had completely lost track of time because of waiting for -oh nevermind. His head immediately snapped to the direction of the said wall clock and his jaw dropped even more. "It's 12:40 already? I need to go, hyung." He said and hastily went to the back room, leaving Donghae with an amused expression. Five minutes later, he's out of the cafe, trudging the icy sidewalk that leads to the university.

     Their college dean finally approved to turn on the heater in the auditorium so most of the students were relieved and the rehearsals went unbelievably smooth. It ended at least an hour earlier from their usual dismissal time.

     Jongdae was fixing his violin when one of the students approached him and told him that someone is waiting for him outside the hall. He could only guess who it was.

     "Thank you." He said to the student before the latter went off. He closed the case and securely locked it before he walked off to the direction of the exit. Jongdae doesn't even know how surprised he was when he saw Xiumin standing there, smiling widely at him. He can't help but smile back as his heart did a triple sommersault inside his heart.

     "What are you doing here?" He asked.

     "We had a meeting about the quarter-finals of the competition earlier." Xiumin explained.

     "I see, but why are you standing here outside the hall? It's cold."

     "Oh that..." Xiumin scratched the back of his head almost shyly. "I was waiting for you, actually."

     "Oh." So the student earlier wasn't joking when she said someone is waiting for him. "Ummm, why?" He asked, and wondered if it's possible for a heart to beat this fast.

     Students are now flooding out of the hall and most heads are turning in their direction. Jongdae saw some of them wave and call at Xiumin and the latter waved and smiled back.

     Xiumin brought his attention back to him. "Do you still have class?"

     "No, I just came here for the rehearsals."

     "Good, I could give you a ride back to the cafe." Xiumin offered.

     "It's fine, I'll just walk back, thank you." Jongdae refused, flustered at the idea of him and Xiumin being in the car together.

     "I insist, plus it's too cold, you might freeze on your way back. Come on, I'll carry this for you." Xiumin said and did not give time for Jongdae to refuse again as he quickly grabbed the case from the younger's hand. Jongdae felt bolts of electricity shot down his spine when their hands brushed. "Tsk, your hands are already cold. Wear gloves next time."

     "Says the one who's wearing gloves." Jongdae playfully retorted in attempt to brush away the foreign feeling.

     "But my hands aren't cold, look." Xiumin said and he brought his hand to Jongdae's cheek.

     Jongdae felt his heart jump out of his chest at the contact. The warmth of Xiumin's hand added the heat on his face and he wished he isn't as red as a tomato now. He almost wanted to protest when Xiumin retracted his hand.

     "Yeah.... it isn't" He dumbly replied.

     "Anyway, let's go."

 

 

     "Thanks for the ride." Jongdae said as he faced Xiumin, after the latter parked his car in front of the cafe.

     "It's nothing, you're always welcome, Jongdae." Xiumin replied. "Are you going to practice your piece today?"

     Jongdae shook his head. "No, it's my shift at the cafe. Maybe on Monday,  I will."

     Xiumin slightly pouted, making Jongdae's mind do a flip. "Okay, but are you free this Sunday?"

     "Yes, why?" Jongdae asked in -unknown- anticipation.

     "Good, can you accompany me somewhere? I'll just pick you up at your house."

     "Sure! I would love to, and you could meet me here at the cafe."

     "Okay, I'll be there by two in the afternoon." Xiumin beamed.

     "Two then." Jongdae grinned back. He took off his seat belt and Xiumin helped him reach for the violin case at the backseat. He got out of the car and faced Xiumin again before bowing. "Thank you again."

     "You're welcome, see you on Sunday!" Xiumin said then started the car engine. Jongdae closed the car door. He watched as the car drove away and disappeared as it took a turn on a corner. He let out a smile as he remembered Xiumin's invitation earlier. He can't wait for Sunday to come.

     And Jongdae wants you to know that he doesn't care if you're starting to think that he's a sappy junior college student getting all giddy and worked up over a guy's invitation. He's happy and he is not going to hide it.

     He was startled when an arm was draped over his shoulder. He looked to his side only to see Jungsoo smiling angelically at him. And boy does Jongdae know what that smile means. Sometimes, Jongdae thinks, as he's getting dragged to Jungsoo's office, this hyung of his is worse than a police superintendent interrogating a criminal.

     "So you have a date this Sunday. That's good, you're finally enjoying life Jongdae-ah." Jungsoo chirped.

     "Hyung, it's not a date, he just wants me to accompany him. Don't be ridiculous." Jongae scowled. "And what do you mean by 'finally enjoying life'? I'm happy even though I don't have a date, you don't have one yourself."

     Jungsoo scoffed. "Who says? Why do you think I'm closing early today?"

     "What?" Jongdae's eyes widened. "Since when? And why are you not telling me anything?" He asked, bewildered. This man had the guts to interrogate him about his -non existent- love life when Jungsoo's the one keeping his own hidden from him.

     "I will tell you all about it soon, I'm still getting to know him. He's kind of rich, he's from Gunsan and he inherited a company from his grandfather. In this cafe, Jongdae, you're the only one who is forever alone."

     "I think you forgot that Jongwoon-hyung is part of this cafe." Jongdae commented dryly.

     "Ah, Jongwoon's seeing someone, the man went here once, he's a receptionist at a law firm near here. I think Ryeowook is the name."

     Jongdae's jaw dropped at the news. Jungsoo, Donghae, and Jongwoon, these three bastards are updated about his life and here he is, completely oblivious to theirs, well except Donghae since he already knew Hyukjae. But still... whatever, they are so unfair.

     "Since you're closing early, does that mean I can go now?"

     "Yes, I know where you're planning to go anyway." Jungsoo teased.

     Since Jongdae doesn't have to work today, he can now practice his piece in Xiumin's studio. He bid Jungsoo goodbye and went out of the cafe, fighting the urge to skip his way to the said place. 

     When he arrived at the building, he saw the woman from the other day. She has short black hair, her bangs clipped to the side, her eyes are crescent-shaped as she smiled warmly at Jongdae.

    "Excuse me miss, is Xiumin-ssi around?" Jongdae asked.

     "Sir Xiumin just went out and he said he won't be back until later tonight. Can I get your name, sir? Do you have an appointment with Sir Xiumin?" She replied in a very polite tone.

     "My name is Kim Jongdae."

     "Ah, you're Jongdae!" She exclaimed. "Sir Xiumin said that you can use the studio upstairs if you want. Are you going to use it now? I'll have a staff accompany you to set it up."

     "No, it's fine, I won't be using it today. Thank you for your help. I'll just come back some other day."

     "Okay, sir. I'll just tell Sir Xiumin that you dropped by today and you're welcome sir." The woman bowed and Jongdae did the same before trudging his way outside.

     Jongdae shivered when he got out of the building, it's getting even more colder now that night is approaching. Xiumin is right, he should've worn gloves. He gripped the handle of his violin case tighter as he put his other hand inside his coat pocket and started to walk his way home.

     He observed his surroundings, stalls and shops have already put up Christmas decorations. In less than a week, it will be December. Christmas too is fast approaching, and he'll soon have to start buying gifts. He mentally listed all the people he'll be giving gifts.

     There's Jungsoo of course (anything white-coloured is fine with him). Then Donghae and Hyukjae (they're plushie lunatics). Then Yesung (til' now Jongdae doesn't know what to get him). Something small for Youngmin and Kwangmin (a freebie keychain from a gas station will do). The little number of friends he has at university (the cafe;s free gift certificates are more than okay for them). [A/N: There's nothing better than a free coffee shop gift certificate!] And of course, the latest addition to his list; Kim Minseok.

     Jongdae stopped walking in the middle of the side walk as a realization hit him. He hasn't an idea what to give Xiumin!

     'I know the perfect gift for him!' His mind said. 'Tell him you're Chen!'

     'No way.' He quickly retorted back.

     A man bumped into Jongdae, puling him out of his deep abyss of thoughts, he glanced at the glaring man beside him. It was a high school student judging from his clothes... and is the boy's hair bubble-gum coloured?

     "You're blocking the way dude." He said then ran off. That was when Jongdae realized that he's been immobile in the middle of the side walk for a while now. He felt slightly embarassed as he started to walk again.

     'Don't panic Jongdae, you still have at least three weeks to find out what Xiumin likes.' His rational mind said. 'And apparently, he likes you!'

     So much for the rational part.

 

 

     "So is it true that you're going on a date with the producer?" Donghae asked, they're inside the cafe, Jongdae took a day off to finish some of his homeworks (so he won't have to worry about it tomorrow). Donghae just arived with his drink and started to again, apparently, Jungsoo told Donghae what happened yesterday.

     "I swear you and Jungsoo hyung are worse than show business journalists. It's not a date." He grumbled. He tried to sound irked but he's far from feeling irked. In fact, a small part of Jongdae wanted to believe that it's indeed a date.

     "Okay, whatever you say." Donghae said in a sing-song voice. Then his expression turned serious. "But when are you going to tell him?"

     Donghae asked. Jongdae immediately knew what he's talking about. He looked down at the notepad on the table, looking at the scribbled words but not really seeing them. "I don't know." He doesn't know when to tell Xiumin and he doesn't know how to tell Xiumin.

     Donghae gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze and he looked back the the older. "I think you should tell him soon, Jongae. It's better if the truth will come from you than from anyone else's. I'm not saying that we will tell Xiumin because you know we won't but what if other people finds out? Or what if Xiumin finds it out himself?"

     Jongdae stared at him, his mind digesting what Donghae just said. "Think about it, Jongdae." He said before leaving.

 

 

     Xiumin is sitting on his swivel chair idly, his mind occupied with so many thoughts. He felt so dumb at the moment; he invited Jongdae out but to be honest, he hasn't the slightest idea where to take him. He asked Jongae out without having second thoughts and now he regrets his impulsiveness. He already considered going to the mall but realized that it's too cliche. What's there to do in that place except to watch a movie. He also thought of taking him to a classy restaurant but he worries that Jongdae might not like the food and refuse to go out with him again.

     Xiumin groaned. He's losing his mind. He grabbed his phone, intent on finding some answers in the internet when a new message alert popped up. He frowned, it's from an unregistered number.

              'Hey! How's your day?'

     The message read. Xiumin hastily typed down a reply.

              'Who's this and how did you get my number?'

              'Why, u forgot me already? I cry T__T I have sources :)'

     Xiumin was slightly piqued. He's got other things to worry about, he doesn't have time for this kind of game. 

              'Look, whoever you are, I don't have time for you tricks, stop texting me.'

              'Grumpy >.< This is Chen, pabo!'

     Xiumin was surprised. Chen? His eyes widened, as if struck by some revelation. Chen has perfect timing, he could ask him for help. Why hadn't he thought of it earlier? Nevermind how Chen  got his number.

              'Sorry, you didn't tell who you are earlier. And I'm not grumpy, I'm just bothered, I don't know what to do.'

              'Yeah, when did you even know what to do? It's SUnday tomorrow, are you free? I've finally decided to reveal myself ^^'

     Now Xiumin almost jumped out of his swivel chair. Chen wants to finaly meet him? Is this really happening? But he has a *cough*date *cough* with Jongdae tomorrow.

              'I'm only free in the morning tomorrow. Actually, I asked Jongdae out and we're going somewhere. I still don't know where that 'somewhere' is. Where do I take him?'

              'Really? You two are going out on a date? That's perfect! We can meet tomorrow morning then. I'll text you the address.'

     Xiumin beamed at what he had read. Soon, he could introduce Jongdae and Chen to each other.

              'Okay, I'll see you then.'

 

 

    A triumphtant smirked grazed his lips as he read Kim Minseok's message. "You are so dead Kim Jongdae." He muttered as he scrolled down the messages in Jongdae's e-mail. 

 

 

     Jongdae groaned inwardly when he saw the person lying on his bed. If there's one person that could totally ruin his day just by making his presence known, it would be Kwangmin. "What are you doing here?" Jongdae tried to sound as ruthless as possible.

     "Oh hey dear brother, I was waiting for you." Kwangmin replied with a smile on his face. Not even moving from his postion.

     Jongdae placed down his violin case gently before letting out a frustrated sigh. He then walked to the edge of his bed and faced Kwangmin. "What do you want?"

     Kwangmin's smiled widened and he sat up. "Are you free tomorrow?"

     "No, I have a lot of things to do tomorrow."

     "Oh come one Jongdae, it's Sunday. I bet you're just going to stay at that cafe."

     "I told you I'm busy."

     "Look, it won't even take long." Kwangmin insisted. "You see, I wan to audition for the choir and I want you to helo me on the song I'm going to sing. Rehearse it with me tomorrow morning."

     Jongdae's look turned into a scrutinizing one, for the first time in a long time, Kwangmin sounded so true, so sincere. Could he actually believe his step-brother's words?

     'But this is Kwangmin!' A part ofhis mind exclaimed. Whatever he does, there's always something up his sleeves.

     "Fine, tomorrow morning." Jongdae nonetheless agreed.