2

CHEN-derella

 

“Table three. Go.” A man dressed in baby blue long sleeves and black slacks mouthed to the waiter in front of him. A metallic gray nametag with bold letters that read “Jungsoo” is pinned on it. Underneath those bold letters read “Manager” printed in italics.

                The waiter, dressed in the same type of clothing as the manager –only with a different shade of blue –gave a quick bow before approaching the said table. He put on a charming smile –something that he has perfected a long time ago.

                “Good morning ma’am, welcome to Kona Beans. I’m here to take your order.” He said still with the charming smile plastered on his face. The said customer smiled back before giving her order.

                “Black coffee. Grande…” She squints her eyes to read the name printed on the waiter’s nametag. “..Jongdae-ssi.”

                ‘Figures.’ Jongdae thought as he scribbles it on his order pad. Ever since he started working here, this woman –always in her crisp black business attire –hadn’t ordered anything except Black Coffee. And he had never seen her wear anything else than what she’s wearing now. He shrugs inwardly.

                “Would that be all, ma’am?” he asks nonetheless. The woman nodded and Jongdae smiled one last time before proceeding to the counter.

                “The usual?”

                “Neh, hyung.” Jongdae nodded. The said ‘hyung’ turned to the percolator and started brewing. Jongdae glanced around the coffee shop where he’s employed. Plush cream couch are neatly scattered around and between them are circular wooden Narra tables coated with shiny varnish. The smell of roasted coffee beans and cocoa heavily lingered around the place. Jongdae loved that smell very much. Most of the tables and seats are vacant –not that many customers are in sight.

                He felt a light tap on his shoulder and he turned his attention back to his ‘hyung.’ “Where have you been last night? Jungsoo-hyung was frantic about you and we were all worried. I think Jongwoon-hyung sent you a hundred text messages. Can you imagine? Him, texting you a hundred messages with his small hands.” He chuckled lightly, pertaining to the coffee shop’s weird barista.

                “Sorry for making you all worried but I’m fine Donghae-hyung, I’m fine and I’ve already talked to Jungsoo-hyung. And yes, I’ve read Jongwoon-hyung’s messages. He only sent 30, I think?”

                The two glanced at Jungsoo and chuckled as the man epically failed to escape the group of college girls interrogating him. He’s just too kind for his own good. Poor girls though, Jungsoo might be good-looking but he doesn’t give a go with women. Jongdae turned back to Donghae who’s now placing a lid over the cup of black coffee.

                “Here, black coffee, Grande.”

                “Thanks hyung.” They both gave each other a smile and Jondgae took the cup and went back to his customer.

                It’s pretty much the same routine for Jongdae in the coffee shop. Take orders, chat with the other employees, then clean tables. Sometimes he works half-day and sometimes he works the whole day. Like today, since he doesn’t have class. Plus, he missed his shift the night before and Jungsoo talked to him about it. Their manager was so worried –well, he always is. Ever since.

                Jongdae knows that for their manager, for Jungsoo, he’s more than just an employee –they all are but he’s a special case. Jongdae is like a son to him. Jungsoo had been there for him since he can remember. Jungsoo was there when his father was still alive, he would often visit them at their house and his mother would make juice and snacks for them. Jungsoo was there when he and his mother needed someone to lean on when his father died –it was because of a plane crash. His father, Kim Daewong, was going back from his opera performance from Singapore when the plane crashed. In seconds, Jungsoo was there for them. Jungsoo was also there when his mother remarried. Jongdae gained a new father and two brothers. They never really got close. Not even a little bit. Not even until now.

                Jungsoo was also there, only for him that time, when his mother, Fu Weili, died. Jongdae could still remember how it all happened. It was so clear and vivid, as if it happened 5 seconds ago when 4 years already passed since the incident –the accident that forever changed his life. He was 17; he was dressed formally like his Mama Wei –that’s how he calls her. They were headed to Seoul Theater for his first violin recital. He had been to a couple of recitals before; piano, flute, trumpet, cello, even guitar. But this recital was his favorite because Violin was the musical instrument both his parents played. They can also play other instruments but Violin would always be their forte.

                They were about to cross the street but his mother pulled him back from the pedestrian lane, seeing as there are only ten seconds left before the light turns green. Before the cars would start to run again. But Jongdae insisted, he was too excited to care for stoplights and seconds. So he darted his way to the other side, only half-running since the violin case he was holding prevented him from running fully. He’s already in the middle, already halfway the lane when the cars started to move forward. He heard a loud beeping sound to his left and he snapped his head to the direction of the annoying sound. His heart skipped a beat. His mind went hazy before getting completely blank. He felt all his hair stand on ends. His feet stayed rooted to the concrete ground while his body began to tremble.

                Jongdae didn’t know that that would be the last time he’ll ever get to feel his mother’s warm embrace. The next thing he knew was they were both lying on the ground and blood pooled from their bodies –mostly from his mother’s. A silver sedan was before them and limply and almost lifelessly lying there made the vehicle looked like a monster spawn of Satan. Despite his blood-filled face, he could see his mother inert as she lay before him. He could feel her arm draped over his waist. He could hear the faint shouts and screams of the people around him as they scurried over to them. Before he completely fell into oblivion, he heard the very faint sounds of sirens. Then darkness overpowered him.

                A tap on his shoulder startled Jongdae; he whipped his head to the side and saw Donghae. It’s both their break and the older invited him out for a burger. They didn’t bother changing attires since they would also be returning in an hour or so. When they entered the fast-food restaurant, they took the table nearest to the glass wall.

                “So where have you been last night?” Donghae asked immediately when the waiter left. Jongdae chuckled, he knew Donghae had been dying to know where he was. This hyung of his had been very kind to him. He still couldn’t forget the smiles he showed when Jongdae first worked in Jungsoo’s shop. Donghae cares a lot for the people around him –especially for his boyfriend, Hyukjae who occasionally visits the shop Donghae. He’s easy to talk with, almost a smooth-talker with a lot of sense of humor. Jongdae trust him the most –after Jungsoo, of course. No one can replace him.

                “I was at a party last night.”

                Donghae’s eyes widened in disbelief. “You’ve been partying? Since when did you learn to do that?” he lightly scolded. He had never known Jongdae to be a person who has interest on parties and such.

                “No, it’s not like what you’re thinking. Not the club-type of parties hyung, it was a birthday celebration of the rich guys. It’s kind of formal. The organizer offered me a job of being the entertainer for the night.”

                “And by entertainer you mean?”

                “Singer. That’s all. I just sang and played the piano last night.” Jongdae replied, almost defensively.

                “Good then.” Dongahe let out a relieved sigh to which Jongdae chuckled. He threw the younger a look. “What?”

                “Hyung, I’m not a child. I can take care of myself, you know. No need to be so worried. Anyway, guess who I saw last night?” Jongdae added to change the topic.

                “Who?”

                “I saw Xiumin, you know the famous producer.”

                “Oh, your crush.” Donghae teased.

                “Hyung, he is not my crush. I just like the songs he wrote and produced.”

                “Uh huh. So, did you approach him?”

                “No, why would I? Plus, he might ignore me.” Jongdae replied rather gloomily.

                Donghae frowned. “He couldn’t be that rude.”

                “Maybe…” He shrugged. He knew that Donghae was just trying to cheer him up.

                The waiter came with their orders and as soon as he left, the two started to munch on their foods. “So how are your step-brothers?” Donghae asked while chomping on his burger.

                “What, hyung? Don’t talk when your mouth is full. I can’t understand you.”

                “Sorry.” Donghae quickly chewed and gulped down his food. “I asked how your brothers are.”

                “You know how they are, same old same old. Still struggling to pass second-year College.” He replied nonchalantly.

                Donghae sneered. “More like trying hard to be musicians. Why don’t they just quit, they’re just torturing themselves. They don’t have any talent in music unlike you who’s born with it.”

                “Let them be hyung. At least I’m a year ahead of them, we’re not in the same class anymore.”

                Jongdae’s step-brothers; Youngmin and Kwangmin goes to the same university as him –Seoul National University, Conservatory of Music –and they have also taken up the same major which is Violin. Jongdae is pretty confident with his performance but he doubts that Youngmin and Kwangmin would make it. The two already failed 6 units of their major subjects and most are pre-requisites so they have to take it again and pass it to escape sophomore year. Jongdae still can’t understand why the two is taking up music when they clearly don’t know anything about it. Music and them just don’t fit at all. For all he knew, they don’t even know who Beethoven is.

                Jongdae was twelve when he first met the twins and their father. They were nice to him. WERE being the keyword. They eventually became the spawns of Satan and all hell just broke lose when his mother died. Most of the time Jongdae would just ignore them but they just won’t stop making his life miserable. He was even sure that the twins followed him in college just to annoy him. He must’ve tolerated them too much. Jongdae is also certain that part of the reason why the twins went to the same college and took the same major is because of KMS Entertainment.

                KMS Entertainment organizes auditions in SNU annually. Most of the members of their groups like DBSK, SNSD, SJ, SHINee etc. are SNU alumni. Some of the trainees are also students of SNU. The said audition is held every first week of the second-semester and students from every course can join. For three years, Jongdae never did consider participating but his step-brothers grasped every opportunity to be onstage. First is because they are attention-seekers. They don’t care if they look ridiculous or what, as long as they have everybody’s attention then they’re good. And second is because of the panel of judges –mostly on Kwangmin’s part.

                One of the judges of the said audition is Kim Minseok a.k.a. Xiumin. He also observes junior and senior classes in the music courses. Sometimes when the students are lucky enough, their professor would allow Xiumin to handle the class for a session of activities. Mostly activities that could boost their interests and knowledge in music. Sometimes he’ll share his experiences in his work and whatnot. Jongdae knew of Kwangmin’s pretty little crush on this producer –it all started when he saw a poster of Xiumin in Jongdae’s room. But too bad, he won’t get to see Xiumin til’ next semester, well not at least he passes Asian Folk Music.

                Between the twins, Kwangmin is the one who loves to torture him the most. Everything he has; Kwangmin takes –or breaks. Everything he does; Kwangmin copies. And everyone he likes; Kwangmin flirts or steals. While Youngmin just love to order him around like their father.

                “Just tell me if they’re being a real pain in the , I’ll kick their butts right then and there.”

                Jongdae chuckled. “Sure, hyung.”

               

                “How in the world are you going to find someone with that kind of information? You’re not even sure of his name and you only know his voice, so what? You’re going to make every freaking ‘Chen’ you meet sing?” Taemin lashed at Xiumin like a machine gun. He’s had enough of the older mulling over this mysterious Chen guy. He almost wanted to strangle Minho; if only he didn’t forget to write this guy’s name and contact details then Xiumin wouldn’t be pestering him right now.

                They’re in Taemin’s office and he was attending to some important papers when Xiumin barged in again. He was certain that he told his secretary that he is not to be disturbed.

                “I don’t know what to do that’s why I’m asking you.” Xiumin retorted. He was seated on the chair in front of Taemin’s desk. His face dark and grim

                “Well unfortunately I also don’t know the answer. If you don’t mind, I have a lot of things to do, hyung, leave me alone.” He said indifferently.

                “Rude.” Xiumin groaned but stood up nonetheless. He muttered a faint bye to which Taemin only replied with a nod before completely leaving his office. And here he thought his best friend for forever could help him in his dilemma. When he reached his car at the company’s underground parking lot, his phone vibrated and he quickly fumbled for the said device in his pocket.

                “Yes, ma?” he said, right after pressing the answer button and sandwiching the phone between his left hear and hand while his right hand pressed the unlock button of his car key.

                “Come here. I need your take on a song for the concert.”

                “I’ll be there.” He said, followed by a few goodbyes as he hopped inside the car.

                “Okay, be careful while driving.”

                “Ma, you know I always am.” He whined then started the engine.

                “No, you’re not. See, I can hear you already started the car while you’re still on the phone with me.”

                “Then hung up now.”

                “Fine. Be careful okay!”

                “Yeah, yeah I will.”

                “Okay, bye Baozi. See you later!”

                “Ma, I’m not a kid anymore, stop calling me that.” He protested.

                “Not when you’re whining like that.” Xiumin heard his mom chuckled. Her light voice passing from the receiver, sending warm feeling to his heart.

                Being an only child, Xiumin grew up always doted on by his parents. They’re very open to one another. They are more than just a family. But sometimes being babied by them at his current age disturbs him a little but not enough to pique him.

                “Ma, I’m driving.”

                “Okay okay, I’m hanging up now. Bye!” His mom made a smooching sound which he could only guess is a flying kiss sent to no one else but him.

                “Bye. Muah.”

                He let out a sigh of relief when his mom finally hung up; she could really be a nuisance while driving. His father never allowed her to sin on the passenger’s seat because of her loquacity. Yes, that’s how talkative she is. Nevertheless, that’s what they love about her. That’s what makes her unique, what makes her Xiumin’s one and only mother; Zhang Meixiu. A well-known and well-respected producer in KMS Entertainment.

                Maybe he got too close and too attached to his mother that they ended up on the same career path. But he doesn’t have any regrets. He loves what he is doing now and he loves working in his father’s company.

                As he reached the highway, Xiumin’s mind drifted again to that mysterious ‘Chen’ guy. He wonders when he’ll see him again –or if he’ll ever get to find him. It seems difficult when you only knew two things about that guy; an incomplete name and a smooth voice.

 

I haven’t updated for a very very very long time. I’m so soooooorrrryyyyy. I’ve been so busy with school. My professors likes to give us a hell load of works when vacation is near. T___T anyways, it’s the start of my Christmas Vacation! So I might update frequently :DDDD Will you look forward to it? I hope you will.

                Tell me what you think, neh?

                I really made this a long chapter to somehow make-up for the days I didn’t update. Plus, I’m also changing my minimum word count. It’s 2000 words per chapter now from my usual 1400 words per chapter. :DDD