1

CHEN-derella

 

     Xiumin maneuvered through the crowd of people present at Taemin’s birthday party. Taemin was his junior when they were in college, his parents own an accounting firm here in Seoul. They’ve been the best of friends ever since and he’s very protective of the latter.

     Xiumin is the only son of the CEO of KMS Entertainment –Kim Mansoo –and one of its producers –Zhang Meixiu, the younger sister of Zhang Yixing’s father.

Today is the Taemin’s birthday and he was invited –together with his cousin Lay. He introduced the two to one another eight months ago and he was certain that an attraction was formed on both sides. His cousin even matched his schedules with Taemin at the fitness gym they were both members at. But Lay suddenly stopped going –and started dating someone named Kim Jongmyun  and Xiumin knew it affected Taemin –a lot.

Sure Jongmyun is very very good-looking –and so is Taemin, for everyone’s information –but his personality left a lot to be desired. So hearing that Kim Jonmgyun is here at the very same party irked him a little. How in the world was he invited? For all he knew, Taemin and Jongmyun never crossed paths. Oh yeah, he remembered. It was because of that Andrea Smith, an SD Manager at the Lee’s auditing firm who happens to be Jongmyun’s friend.

He made his way through the horde of suits and party dresses. He needs to find Jongmyun and the whoever woman he is with and get them out of this party; by hook or by crook.

“Xiumin! Glad to see you here!” A baritone yet cheerful voice called. He looked to his side and his face lit up in recognition.

“Uncle Seungwoon!” he greeted Taemin’s father and met the older man’s hand for a firm shake.

“Haven’t seen you for a while.”

They released each other’s hands. “Well, I’ve been busy these past weeks, one of the bands is making a comeback.” DBSK is in the midst of preparing for their 7th album and he was occupied with the producing.

Lee Seungwon draped an arm over his shoulder and led him to a table while starting to talk about business. Xiumin admits that it was entertaining to talk business with him but not right now, he needs to fine someone –sometwo, maybe?

He slightly craned his neck and subtly let his eyes roam as he still willed himself to listen to the man in front of him. His eyes landed on someone and he cursed inwardly. ‘, I’m never getting away from these two.’ He forced himself to widen his smile as Taemin’s mother approached their place.

“Xiumin, dear, how are you?” The woman asked after giving him a hug.

“I’m fine Auntie, how about you? You look beautiful as ever.”

“Oh, this boy!” she slightly smacked him on the chest.

“Where have you been hon?” Seungwon asked his wife.

“I just walked Andrea and Jongmyun out. Andrea isn’t really feeling well tonight so they decided to head home.”

Xiumin’s mind did a flip. “Kim Jongmyun?”

She turned to Xiumin and met his puzzled face. “Yeah, a very good-looking guy. Very polite too. How did you know him?”

“He’s a…friend.” He wanted to scoff. Polite? Really? He will roll on the floor like a freaking deranged buffalo if it weren’t for the people around. Well at least they’re out of the picture now. His plan of making Lay and Taemin catch up on each other and regain their interrupted attraction would sure commence. He took a  deep breath and smile brightly at the two elders, now he can chat with them wholeheartedly.

 

Xiumin came back afterwards to where he left Lay and Taemin. He was glad to see the two still talking. Taemin accompanied them on the way to their table before excusing himself to attend to the other guests. When they were left alone, he noticed that Lay was looking for someone.

“They already left.” He informed.

“What?” Lay turned his attention to Xiumin.

“You’re looking for Jongmyun, right? Mrs. Lee met them earlier and she told me they already left.”

“Is he with Andrea?”

“According to her, yes. How did you –“

He wasn’t able to finish his question because Lay abruptly reached for his phone a dialed a number. “Hello. This is Yixing, where are you?”

Xiumin gawked at the behavior Lay is showing him now. Never in his life had he seen Lay to be so possessive. So this cousin of his is capable of being jealous? Lay didn’t throw a fit when his mother told him that she already had a son before him. He was old enough to understand things when his half-brother, Kris, entered their life. Lay wasn’t selfish nor spoiled, given that he was once an only child. Everything he had, he shared it with his half-brother and they really developed a very good relationship.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” He heard Lay said.

He chose to ignore Lay’s antics and give his attention to his surroundings. Now that he had taken a complete look, there weren’t that much people, the waiters and the people behind the buffet table are wearing white longsleeves with bow ties and black slacks, they are also wearing masks that covered their eyes –probably to distinguish them since some of the guests are also wearing white tops. His eyes darted to the mini-stage in front when a tuneful intro –played from a grand piano –reverberated around the area, he noticed that a couple of heads also snapped to the direction of another masked man in suit on top of the white stool, a light shining through him.

The man’s eyes were full of emotions –blending with the tune. He has a strong jawline, porcelain white skin and plump lips. His sleek black hair was gelled backwards, revealing his flawless forehead.

She comes back

She says she’s sorry

The skilled hands that I missed caress my own

The apologetic eyes that look at me, the voice I want to hear

Tenderly telling me not to cry

If I hold you in my arms you disappear and

The tears flow and my pillow becomes wet

At last I wake up from my sleep

Morning is always like this… My Love

 

The man has powerful vocal chords; he could tell. His voice sounded almost metallic and he can’t deny how it felt so good to hear. It’s a smooth voice; the man’s capable of maintaining a constant transaction from note to note, from word to word. Xiumin can’t wait for the man to hit those high notes. He knew this song, simply because he was the producer. It was a song of one of their company’s band; Super Junior. He admits, he likes this version, this man’s version of piano with simple orchestra accompaniment more.

Everything is becoming cloudy but her image is getting stronger
Like in yesterday’s dream, today she comes to me
Now I don’t sleep alone

I hope I sleep forever like this
I wake up with her presence still…
Although I hope I don’t dream again,
Today too it seems I fall asleep with her presence

Xiumin wasn’t wrong. The man’s voice really blew him off. Heck, he even surpassed his expectations. The emotions he displayed were just right. As soon as the man’s voice faded, a loud applause filled the whole area.

“That was good.” He heard Lay muttered.

‘That was beyond good.’ His mind conjured but didn’t voice it out. The man stood up and bowed to his front, then right, then last, to his left before sitting again. He placed his fingers back on the keys, signaling everyone to put a halt to their claps. Xiumin thinks it was the longest ten seconds of his life before the man pressed another key. So Xiumin’s going to hear this man’s voice for the rest of the night? He smiled at the thought.

As soon as the party ends, he’ll meet this man and know if he’s interested in training for their company. His father is thinking of creating a ballad group and he’s sure that this mysterious man would certainly claim a spot. He has potential, no doubt, and he looks young. He could infer that the man is in his early twenties. He’ll have a very good future… if he’ll accept Xiumin’s offer.

 

It was half past one and party’s still very much alive. The ballad songs of earlier were replaced with lively ones, encouraging the guests to leave their tables and dance to the music.

Xiumin fidgets in his seat, it had been an hour and a half since the ballad guy retired. ‘Is he done for the night?’ ‘Is he not playing again?’ Man, Xiumin was slightly disappointed. He really liked the man’s performance. He thought the guy would just take a break but seeing how the guests are grooving to the music, it’s highly unlikely that he’ll come back. Well, he thinks it’s time to talk to the guy now.

He turned to Taemin who joined their table not too long ago. “Teamin-ah, who organized your party?”

“Minho-ssi, umma’s secretary. Why?”

“It’s nothing.” He shrugged. “Where can I find him?”

Taemin shot him a puzzled look but answered anyways. “He’s at the…” he craned his neck and searched for the said man. “He’s there.” He said then pointed to the man wearing a black suit, holding a clipboard near the entrance. Taemin waved as he caught the man looking at their direction; he waved back. “Yep, that’s him. The man who waved back.”

“Thanks, I’ll leave you guys for a moment.” He said then stood up. He wasted no time approaching the man and asking him. “Minho-ssi?”

The man gave a curt nod. “Yes, what can I do for you, sir?”

“Where can I find the guy who played the piano earlier?”

“He already left, I think?”

“Already?”

“He was in a hurry a while ago. When I gave him his pay, he left immediately.”

“Darn.” Xiumin muttered.

“But you can check, sir, if you want. He might still be at the small room next to this hall. Though, I’m not really sure if he’s still there.” Minho suggested unsurely.

“I’ll check. Thanks.”

Minho gave a small bow and Xiumin made his way out the hall. He immediately found the room and didn’t bother knocking. “Excuse me?” he called but no one was around. It was a small white room with a white dresser. A black leather couch was pushed against the wall and oblong wooden table stood in the middle. He made his way further, inside the small room. He checked the door which led to the bathroom but found no signs of the man.

Xiumin cursed inwardly. He was half and hour late, he guess. But he could always ask Minho for the man’s contact details! Idiot, why hadn’t he thought of it earlier? He was about to turn around when  a music sheet landed on his feet –music sheets actually. He glanced around and saw the open window. ‘Must be the wind.’ He bent down to pick it up and scanned the item. It was a song –an unfinished song. He flipped it to the last page and saw a signature on the bottom right of the sheet.

Chen

‘Chen?’

“Ah! Must be his name.” He nodded. A Chinese name? He’s a Chinese then? He ransacked his brain for the little Mandarin vocabulary he knew of. Xiumin is half Chinese. His mother, Zhang Meixiu, if from Changsha but he didn’t get to live in China unlike his cousin Lay who spent ten years growing up there. He only visit the place that’s why he’s not really fluent with the language.

‘Chen? That mean’s morning, right?’ he asked himself. Yeah, he’s certain that’s what it meant. He shrugged and headed out. He could always asked that Minho guy for ‘Chen’s’ contact details.

 

“What do you mean you don’t know?” Xiumin half-growled at Minho. He’s back in the hall and he had just asked the guy for this supposedly-Chen-guy.

“I knew at some point but I forgot to write it down since we’re in a haste to send him onstage. The supposed to be entertainer for tonight backed out the last minute and we’re just lucky to find him as a replacement.” Minho reasoned as he scanned through the pieces of paper in his clipboard, hoping that he might’ve scribbled his name somewhere.

“Not a thing? Complete name? Phone number?”

“Nothing, I’m sorry, sir.” Minho slightly bowed.

“Forget it. Thanks for your help anyway.” He waved him off and trudged back to their table.

Lay and Taemin both gave him incredulous looks but he decided to ignore them. So he’s only left with a name –that he’s not even sure if is legit –and the man’s voice. Great. How would he search for him? –wait, why would he even bother searching for some masked random guy he saw at a friend’s birthday party?

‘He’s an asset to the company.’ His mind said.

But a part of him –an unknown part of him tells otherwise. That it wasn’t for the company –but for himself.

 

A/N: 1 down unknown chapters more to go :DDD So, how was the first chapter?

Tell me what you think, neh?