7

CHEN-derella

     The next week, after one of the elimination rounds of the singing competition, Xiumin immediately made his way to the Music Campus to surrender Chen's music player. When he reached the stairs leading to the third floor, a though entered his mind that made him halt on his steps.

     Xiumin does not know what office or where that office is located. He mentally banged his head againsta the wall. Jonhdae did not tell him where, he just said to surrender it to the office. Xiumin his heel and decided to go to the music rooms, he remembers that there's a front desk there, maybe he could ask for directions. A woman was there when he arrived.

     "Excuse me?"

     "Yes sir? Going to use a music room?" She asked but did not give Xiumin the time to answer. "Room 213 is available, just write your name on the log book." She instructed.

     "I'm not really going to use a room. I just want to..." Xiumin's gaze went to the logbook. On the page he saw that there's a column for the room number, another column for the time in, then another name for student then also time out. He scanned the dates and saw that this logbook was first used this week; it's a new logbook. "Do you mind if I take a look at the other log book, the one used before this? I just need to look at something from two weeks ago."

     "I'm sorry sir but we don't keep the old log books here. I don't know where it is, maybe it was taken by the janitors, you could ask them, sir, if you want." The woman said.

     That was close.

     "I see." Xiumin said dispiritedly. "Do you know where I can surrender this?" He asked. "I found this in oneof the music rooms."

     "You can try, sir, the Dean of Arts and Humanities Office, it's on the fifth floor, east wing." She said then she gasped, as if struck by some revelation. "A student went here last time looking for music player too, that must be his."

     Xiumin's spirits rose. "Did h tell his name? Where can I find him?" He asked.

     The woman thought for a moment then a look of confusion crossed her face. "I forgot his name, I'm sorry, but he sure is looking for that music player."

     And there goes Xiumin's spirit. "Thank, it's fine." Xiumin muttered and the woman did a light bow.

 

     When Xiumin arrived at the annex studio after surrendering the music player, he realized how Chen greatly affected him. No one had ever made him feel so dispirited and disappointed in a row. Don't get him wrong, it's not Chen he's dispappointed with rather, the turn of events involving Chen. Xiumin felt so close to finding out who is, so close to finally meeting him, but not close enough.

     Xiumin stood up from his swivel chair and his eyes caught the hands of the clock. He sighed. He wasted an hour of his life mulling over Chen again. He needs to get some work done. But before that, he needs his Chai Lattè to go with it. Xiumin grabbed his coat and headed to the cafè.

 

     Since Jungsoo's cafè is near the university most students and some of the staff always drops by to grab a drink or snack. Everyday, Jongdae sees familiar faces enter and exit the shop. That never really affected him, except for one. Jongdae just realized how Xiumin's familiar face greatly affected him everytime the producer enters the cafe. He tried to ignore the sudden acceleration of his heart beat at the sight of the man.

     Jongdae is at the back counter, brewing coffee with the percolator; Jungsoo is the one in charged of the cashier today. He watched subtly as Xiumin queued up to get his order. When it was his turn, Jongdae saw Jungsoo frowned at something that Xiumin had said. He cannot make out what they were talking about because of his place. He saw Jungsoo shifted to glance at him and before their gazes could meet, Jongdae turned his attention back to the percolator and made it look like he's minding his own business.

     When he could still feel Jungsoo's eye on him, he glanced up at Jungsoo ad let out an innocent smile. The older returned the gesture, only with a strained one, before turning back to Xiumin. He saw Jungsoo mumble something before Xiumin nodded and walked to his table.

     Jongdae was left deep in thought, wondering what it was that Jungsoo and Xiumin talked about. Did it involve him? What is it with Jungsoo's frown? And Xiumin, he looked so downcast. "I wonder what happened." Jongdae mumbled to himself then felt a light tap on his shoulder.

     "Jongdae."

     He facced the person who pulled him out of his thoughts. "Jungsoo-hyung?"

     "Kim Minseok, he wants to talk to you." The older said dubiously. Jongdae could hear Jungsoo's silent question 'How did he come to know you?'

     "I'll explain later, hyung." Jongdae just said. Jungsoo's expression visibly relaxed and Jongdae chuckled inwardly. Sometimes he just worries too much, he thought.

     "Very well, I can see how eager you are to talk to him. I'll give you fifteen minutes off."

     How? Why? What gave it off? Jongdae was so sure that he's masking his agitation to talk to Xiumin. "Thanks, hyung." was all he was able to say. Jongdae turned off the percolator then wiped his hands with a dry towel. He stepped out of the back counter only to whip around and face Jungsoo again. "Is it that obvious, hyung?" He asked.

     The older smiled. "Only to me, Jongdae." He smiled back ad mouthed "Thanks again."

     

     "You wanted to talk to me?" Jongdae asked tentatively when he reached Xiumin's table.

     Xiumin looked up to face him and smiled. Jongdae's heart did a flip. "Yes, I do. Thanks for coming." He said. Jongdae smiled back and took a sit in front of Xiumin. "I did what you said."

     "That's good then, I hope Chen claims it soon so you could finally meet him." Jongdae's smile faltered at his own words and applauded himself for being such a good actor.

     "I hope so. I did not see you at the university earlier." Xiumin commented.

     'Were you searching for me?' Jongdae really wanted to ask but stopped himself. "I do not have classes today."

     "I see." Xiumin nodded.

     Silence stretched before them and Jongdae noticed Xiumin's downcast expression again. "Are you alright?" He caught himself asking.

     Xiumin sighed. "I'm fine, thanks for asking." He said and because Jongdae is looking directly at him, as usual when he's talking to someone, Xiumin saw the genuine concern in the younger's eyes that he felt compelled to not lie and just tell him the reason. "It's because of Chen." 

     "Chen?" Jongdae dumbly repeated.

     'What did you do this time?' His inner mind scolded.

     "I went to the music rooms earlier and talked to the front desk woman, I learned that you have to sign in a log book before using the room, so I asked her for the previous log book," Jongdae's eyes widened and he held his breath. "but the log book was not there and she also forgot his name. Is Chen's name that hard to memorize?"

     Jongdae subtly sighed in relief. That was close. He thought then realized how Xiumin whined out the last sentence. He found it cute but resisted the urge to chuckle. How could someone of Xiumin's age whine that way? "You really want to see Chen that much?"

     "Yes, kinda creepy, right?" Xiumin said then laughed. "You might think of me as a creepy stalker now."

     "No, not much." Jongdae replied while also letting out small laugh.

     One of the cafè's part time waiter arrived at their table with Xiumin's drink. Said waiter then turned to Jongdae and handed him a piece of paper. "Manager-hyung asked me to give this to you."

     Jongdae thanked him after getting it then the waiter left. He opened the note.

                    'Time's up! Back to work! - Manager Jungsoo'

     Jongdae faced Xiumin. "I need to get back to work."

     "I understand, thanks for your time." The older replied.

     "Anytime, Xiumin-ssi." Jongdae stood up and Xiumin did the same. "You're not staying?" Jongdae asked, almost as if complaining. He did a mental face-palm.

     Fortunately, Xiumin did not notice. "No, I need to get some work done at the studio. I'll go ahead. Thanks again."

     "It's fine." He said, slightly disappointed at Xiumin leaving so soon.

     "Bye." Xiumin did a little wave before finally walking towards the glass doors with his Chai in hand.

 

     Jongdae smiled to himself and that smile did not disappear evwn after his shift ended that night. And even when he talked to Jungsoo about how he came to know Xiumin. And even after he got home and Kwangmin kept on pestering and annoying him, Jongdae is still in an unbelievably bubbly mood. No other can spoil it.

     Except Jongdae himself.

     Later that same night, when Jongdae went to bed, Xiumin's dejected expression crossed his mind. Jongdae did not want to see that expression on his face again but that's going to happen soon if he claims his music player. Xiumin will again fail to get Chen's real name because Jongdae's not about to give it yet.

     He sighed dispiritedly before mumbling an apology to Xiumin.

 

     The following week, after Jongdae's class, he rushed to the Dean's office to claim his music player. He knocked on the wooden door with a plate that read 'Dean's Office' attached to it before entering the said room.

     "Good afternoon." Jongdae greeted when he saw a person inside.

     It was a woman with pale skin and a pointed nose. She looked up to him. She has gray streaks of hair and a few wrinkles on her face. Jongdae recoiled inwardly at her sharp gaze. "Yes, what do you need?" She asked, her voice stern.

     "I... I was wondering if someone uhh surrendered a music player." Jongdae replied in the politest way he can manage.

     "Yes, a guy came here last week. Are you the owner?" She looked at Jongdae with scrutinizing gaze, as if detecting if he's lying or not.

     "I guess, if it's an iPod nano. It's this big," Jongdae made a gesture with his hands. "And it has a little screen with a touch surface, and it's white."

     The woman's face softened. "It is." she said then opecd a drawer from her side and brought out the music player. "Be careful not to lose it next time." She reminded before handing it to him.

     "Thank you ma'am, I will." Jongdae said then smiled.

     She nodded. "Just write down your name here, student number and signature. Then you can leave. I just need to get something inside." She said then stood up and approached the door leading to another room. Before entering, she turned back to Jongdae. "Make sure you close the door."

     "Yes, ma'am." Jongdae said and she finally disappeared into the room.

     'Good' Jongdae thought. He reached for a pen and opened the blue log book. He skipped the student number column and wrote 'Chen' on the name column before closing the log book again and hurrying outside.

     When he got out of the building, Jongdae looked at the music player in his hands. He's glad that he finally got it back but he felt sick at the same time. 'Once Xiumin finds out, he'll never forgive me.' He hough then walked away.

 

 

A/N:  and this is dedicated to my ever loyal friend who had been there for me ever since the start of this fic; Japanda :)) thanks for your support! :D