chapter eight

Ferly 2

 

Mary517- he's got a pretty weird presence about him- are his intentions pure or what?

Dongwoo is generally a superhero in this story, he's always got Soo's back^^

He got down on his knees man, he was a bit enthusiastic^^

I'm glad you got that, it's something that's pretty important in the Myungber relationship^^ and any dad's gonna dislike a guy who they don't know who wants to marry their daughter... not to mention his mother-in-law seems to like him...

lol I'm gonna be tight lipped, you won't get a word from me (it's killing me, I'm not a secretive person -.-)

 

nanamato- in Jun's defense it was a nice gesture :)

cause I like making triangles (squares... octagons...) both guys have different tastes so I'm glad it's difficult to choose^^

 

amitchell- It's good?!?!?!^^ thank you~

I'm rooting for Myungsoo as well^^

I'm also rooting for Himchannie...

GO was pretty stupid, but then again, he got with a lot of girls back them, it's not like Amber didn't know that... still though, it's gonna effect things...

we agree so well, Junsu's such a difficult character to pin- is he good or bad?

 

Tingztieyka- you're user name is difficult for a dyslexia, I had to rewrite it and read over it about a dozen times to make sure I didn't mess it up -.-

Daebak!!^^ glad you like, I like writing them so it bring's lots of happy bubbles to know that others enjoy reading them^^

thank you reader-nim^^

 

Chapter eight (Merry Christmas~^^)

 

Donghae straightened his hat then brought it back to it's side, not quite sure how he should wear it on such an occasion. He could here his daughter dancing clumily in the hallway singing loudly out of tune and giggling. All of it, from the off key singing to every single dimple and freckle on little Bada's face reminded him of her mother. Her picture there proved it, and for a second he could hear her too.

 

“Daddy, we're gonna be late!” Bada called into his room, poking her head in.

 

“ah, yeah, I'm ready.” Donghae turned, beaming at his little girl and followed her out. They had a big day planned, he and Amber would pass out the presents they'd gathered to the kids (something Bada was super excited over since it meant presents and dozens of other children to play with) then he'd spend the rest of the day at home with his little girl watching old Christmas specials and snacking on cookies- hell, he might even get adventurous and try to cook something (though likely he'd rely on his nice neighbor to help with dinner).

 

“Morning Donghae.” Sunye, a good friend and a faithful helper waved and smiled at him as he entered the church with Bada in toe, “Good morning Bada-ssi~”

 

“Morning! Are they here yet?” Bada let a little squeal out when Sunye nodded, “I'm gonna go play daddy!”

 

Donghae chuckled and watched her scamper away, turning to Sunye once the kid was gone, “Amber get here yet, she didn't call last night.”

 

Sunye smiled and shook her head, “It's a bit early don't you think.” she said with a laugh. Donghae had to hold him self back from explaining his excitement of seeing Amber, most of the people here believed they were secretly dating which wasn't something he really wanted to go around but he just couldn't say the reason he enjoyed her company was simply because she was his niece... he still didn't know how she'd take it.

 

Before he could say anything the door opened and in popped in Amber, as though she'd sensed them talking about her, and behind her was Mrs. Liu, stopping Donghae in his tracks, “Hey Hae, I'd like you to meet my mother, mom, this is the guy I was telling you about.”

 

If Jinny had be surprised, she didn't show it, she simply smiled widely and shook his hand, “It's nice to meet you Donghae, Amber hasn't shut up about you for a second.”

 

Donghae inwardly sighed, she hadn't noticed him, “ah, it's great to finally meet Amber's mother, Come this way, meet the kids.” he said before leading them towards the main room, ignoring Sunye's grin as he passed her.

 

Over all the present pass out was a success, they had enough for every kid and most of them even seemed pretty happy with what they'd gotten. As he watch the children play he let his eyes linger on his niece playing there with a group of kids, her wide grin lighting up the room and drawing everyone to her like a moth to a flame. It'd been a while since he'd been this happy, meeting Amber had been one of the best accidents since Bada, and yet he still felt a lingering edge to their happiness, as though all this would soon go over a cliff.

 

“Stalking's a federal offense you know.”

 

Donghae jumped, the sound of his half sister's voice bringing him down to earth, “ah, Mrs. Liu, I-I.”

 

“Cool it Donghae, I already know who you are.” to Donghae's surprise, the nightmare he's always had about meeting one of his half siblings didn't happen, his older half sister didn't look as though she wanted to kill him, she simply looked curious.

 

“It was by accident, I swear, I'd never hang around your daughter if I'd known she was your daughter... I'm sorry noona...” he said meekly, tugging at the fluffy santa costume and blaming the beads of sweat on it.

 

“why should you be sorry... she is your niece, you should be curious... just why the secrecy?”

 

“...it was an accident Noona, I didn't find out until later that she was my niece and when I did it felt like it was to late... that she'd think I'd been hiding something from her... I just don't want her to think badly of me, she's really- she's really made me hopeful lately, I feel excited knowing I'll see her and... ah, it sound like I'm some creep! I swear my intentions are pure, it's an uncle looking after his niece kinda thing...”

 

Jinny chuckled, “please, you're dad's son through and through, I'd never believe you'd be after my daughter in that way.” she shook her head and crossed her arms, “To tell you the truth, when dad told me you'd moved to Kwangju I'd been curious, it couldn't be coincidental, along with the timing as well.”

 

“You talk with dad? He's never...”

 

“we write to each other every once and a while, he talks about you and your mother often.”

 

“I figured... I figured you'd hate us, not want anything to do with us like everyone else.” he'd spent twelve years of his life having people turn their noses up at him and his mother, constant cruel taunts from the school children that he didn't have a father had always sent him home in near tears... then when dad had suddenly showed up, suddenly started acting as the man of the house the taunts hadn't stopped, they just became more scandalous.

 

Jinny peered over at her half brother, she tried to keep her actions neutral but deep down she was on an emotional roller coaster, “I grew up listening to my mom fight with dad... they never had a good relationship, deep down I think father loved her but mom... she'd never been very good at that aspect in any relationship... I left Korea when I was in high school because of the fighting, and well, while I was in America I discovered what I family should be like when I met Jon. After that, when father told me about Hyangsuk and you, while in all honesty I was sad, I was also happy my gentle hearted father had a family he could love... after that we agreed to write and call, we never met up though, I haven't seen my dad since.” she bit her lip, staring out at her youngest daughter, “I wish she knew him, she reminds me so much of him.”

 

Donghae reached for her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, “I was thinking the same thing Noona.” he smiled at her, feeling a strange warmth in the pit of his tummy... all the scenarios, all the dreams of meeting his half siblings hadn't come even a bit close to this- Jinyoung at least didn't hate him (he was still unsure of Jonghyun, but one mountain at a time) he felt like crying and laughing, he'd wanted to know them so badly all his life and now... now he didn't know what to do...

 

“Where's her mother?” Jinny asked after taking a look at the little girl in her daughter's lap.

 

“Bada's mother...” he let out a little sigh, “when Bada was just a baby her mother left, I came home to Bada crying in her crib and a note telling me she just couldn't handle it.”

 

“how can anyone just leave their baby.” Jinny whispered, though deep down she felt guilty, hadn't she left her baby with Grandmother a year ago... Amber, her baby, her little girl who'd always had the brightest smile and held Jinny's world in the palm of her hand...

 

“I... I don't know... after a year in Makpo I decided Bada and I needed a change, my best friend from high school just happened to get a job at the school here and I knew Jonghyun lived around here, I took my chance and even when I had so many opportunities presented to me I chickened out... then I met Amber...”

 

Jinny chuckled, “It's fate.”

 

Donghae nodded, “I was thinking the same thing Noona.”

 

 

 

“Why didn't you tell me before?” Amber said in wonder as she chewed the end of her straw. Donghae was her uncle? She'd known she had another but she hadn't in her wildest dreams believed she'd ever meet him.

 

“You're not mad?”

 

“why would I be mad... You're the coolest guy I know.” Amber pondered for a moment, “And really, I just can't bring my self to be surprised, we're so similar and I mean, everyone's going on about how we look alike.” she beamed at him and reached her hand across the restaurant table, “welcome to the family Uncle Donghae!” and all the while she couldn't help feeling thankful- he was her uncle, she could trust him and love him with out second guessing any of her actions.

 

“I'm glad.” he hadn't known he'd been holding his breath, but now that he new that she didn't hate him, that he and Bada could still see her on a daily basis he felt as though his world was finally coming back together.

 

As she watched her daughter and half brother talk Jinny thought back to last night. That boy, the one her mother had introduced her to, the one who'd been able to shell all that money out to get her and Jon over to Korea, she didn't like him... well, truth was she did think he was pretty nice, she'd met him a few times when he lived near her mothers and she'd gone to school with his father, but she knew what her mother was planning.

 

It was subtle but she could tell as her mother sent her that “isn't he great” look that she was playing match maker- Jinny'd seen that same look thousands of times before she moved to California and now to see it in regard to her own daughter... she felt the need to protect, she didn't want her mother to sink her perfectly manicured nails into Amber pure soul yet something kept her back- Donghae... Jinny had always been a good judge of character and just a day with him lead her to believe that he needed someone like Amber... and that perhaps she needed him.

 

As a psychiatrist she had a bad habit of caring to much about other's problems, and Donghae being family she felt she needed to help him and her niece (a word she now relished in, she was an Aunt!) and from the way they were with each other she felt as though the three needed each other.

 

Another stand point was Jinny's mother, who Jinny had always been on bad terms with but... but she was her mother. At the back of her mind when she'd left Amber here she'd hoped she'd be able to crack her mother's impenetrable shield and just with a year Jinny could see a difference... Not necessarily what she'd hoped for, after all Jinny's mother's wasn't exactly a timid 50s style house wife, she had a certain edge to her that Jinny could only translate a desperation. She wanted her mother to quickly learn that she couldn't just order people around, that people thought for them selves and she knew Amber was strong... she knew her youngest could help kill the sadness in her mother's heart.

 

“where's Mr. Liu?” Donghae asked, knocking her out of her own thoughts.

 

“huh, oh, he had somethings to do today.”

 

“he was really secretive about it too.” Amber commented before stuffing with a fork full of food.

 

 

 

“Jinyoung made the biggest mistake when she chose you.” Grandmother scoffed, glaring daggers at the man who was busy preparing a meal in her kitchen.

 

“I completely agree Mother.” he hummed nonchalantly, having gotten used to his wife's mother's knife like words. By know he was able to reason with him self that he was a good husband, he cooked, cleaned, helped support his girls and even support his wifes career dreams- Grandmother's words wouldn't discredit that! When he'd first met Jinny she'd sent his whole life on a whirlwind, she'd changed every illusion of happiness in his mind and straightened him up in a matter of a month- he'd been addicted the second she'd smiled at him.

 

When he'd first been introduced to the gargoyle that now was on the verge of killing him, he'd been surprised how anyone could hate so quickly. His family hadn't taken to Jinny in seconds while Grandmother still hadn't excepted that he was in her daughter's life- he understood her though, with his own babies growing up he understood what it was like to feel threatened by the men that constantly were in heat.

 

Still, he wished this plastic witch would just shut her trap while he was willing to be nice to her, “breakfast is served mother.” he put on a bright smile before turning and bringing the plate he'd stacked with with eggs, bacon and toast to his mother-in-law.

 

As dainty as a walrus could, Grandmother cut into the fried eggs and brought a small sliver to her mother, “could use a bit more salt.” she announced after she'd swallowed.

 

“You're always right.” he cheered in his mind at the small victory- she always said there was not enough salt when there wasn't anything to complain about. He brought the salt and pepper shakers over and sat across from her.

 

“So how did you like Junsu, perfect huh?” Grandmother placed her fork and knife down and stared her daughter's husband down.

 

“He seems nice, I rather like her friend Myungsoo as well, he seems like a good match.” Jon hummed, feeling like he was forming his own little rebellion which excited him a bit.

 

“That boy- hmph, I guess he's better then those thugs she's been walking around with- she won't even listen to me about them, she'd going to end of getting into something bad if she keeps she associates with them- and that one that's always attached to her, you met him, I hate him the most!”

 

Ah, something both he and his mother-in-law agreed on, “I didn't like the way he looked at her, like he was hoping to take advantage of her right there in front of us.”

 

“Exactly! She won't listen to me though, I think that boy's influencing her bad behavior lately.” or perhaps she's just tired of Grandmother... he'd never say that out loud though, he'd promised his Jinny he'd be civil, “Although, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, Jinny never listened to me about these things either.”

 

She always took the opportunity to swipe at him, he had to keep him self from swiping back, “In the end, as parents I guess we just have to trust our daughters to have a level head with their decisions.” he said through clinched teeth. For a moment he considered his own words- Amber had her own mind, could thank for her self, he should be proud he'd been able to take part in raising a kid like that... in his mind though he wanted Myungsoo in the family, not this guy Grandmother wanted, that thug or the mysterious boyfriend he hadn't even known about until last night... a boyfriend, his baby was a woman now... she was graduating soon, in a matter of a few months she'd be able to go out on her own.

 

“she's making a mistake, she's going to wake up one day with a bunch of kids unhappy with her life, as her family we should make her see the better options out there.”

 

But this was his daughter, his little girl, Grandmother had no say in who she should and shouldn't associate with, “So you want her to have that same fate as long as he's filthy rich, look how great that turned out for you.” Jinny will probably kill him for that but it had to be said, his mother-in-law had to understand that people weren't just play things.

 

“You little!”

 

before Grandmother could reach across the strangle Jon the front door open, “We're home!” they heard Amber call out.

 

“Did you have fun?” Jon smiled widely at his little girl as she entered into the kitchen.

 

“yeah, you should've come along.” She hugged her dad and gave a little bow to her Grandmother.

 

“oh, you know, your Grandmother has been looking very thin lately, I wanted to make sure she ate well this morning.” Jon smiled and walked with his daughter into the living room.

 

“You're so nice daddy.” Amber beamed, swinging their hands back and forth as they sat down on the couch, “It you guys are leaving tomorrow, I was hoping you'd stay for new years.”

 

“we'd stay if work didn't keep us tied down.” Jinny sighed as she plopped down next Amber and hugged her arm, “you're graduating soon, what're your plans? College here or California?”

 

Amber paused, unsure if she should share it or not, there was so much time before she graduated but she was so excited about it as well, “GO says he's planning to transfer over to California next fall so I was hoping to head over there with him.”

 

They were already that serious? Jon nearly choked, he hadn't even heard of this kid and he was already trying to shack up this his daughter- I guy who called him self GO nonetheless, “isn't a bit early, I mean you've been together for like... what, three months?”

 

“nonsense darling, our little girl knows what she's doing! And this means she'll be closer to us, I'm so happy for you baby.” Jon sighed, he just wanted his baby to stay a baby a little longer.

 

“ah, well it's not for sure or anything, just something we're considering, I mean dad's right... we're both pretty young and we haven't been together very long.”

 

And in that moment Jon felt another wave of pride- his baby did have some of him in her. While his Jinny was so emotionally driven Jon had always been the level headed one, taking his sweet time while Jinny rushed and rushed (which was how Jackie was conceived) the fact that she was willing to take her time was the greatest thing a daughter could give her dad.

 

In that moment there was a knock on the door and with out being invited in, Junsu opened the door, under his arms was a large sky blue plastic bag while the other hand balanced a box Amber remembered as the same box of the cake shop Junsu seemed to like so much, “Merry Christmas!” he smiled and held up the bag, “I brought gifts and cake!”

 

“Oh Junsu, I didn't expect you to be here today.” Grandmother commented as she entered the living room.

 

Sure you didn't. Jon gave a wide welcoming smile, “come on in, the more the merrier.” When in fact all he wanted to do was throw the boy out into the snow... this was his time with Amber, not Junsu's.

 

 

 

Kim Himchan pulled his coat closer to his body, trying to keep the warmth in as he walked down the nearly vacant streets of Kwangju. It being Christmas most people stay in to be with the people they loved, Himchan though, he had business to take care of. He's been working for Junjin hyung for two years now, back in the day they'd been on bad terms but since Himchan's older sister and Junjin shacked up the older man had taken him in. Hyung was a ruthless man who cared only about money and , he didn't play with the drugs he had Himchan and a few others' sell, though he did fulfill Himchan's sister's drug addiction quite affectionately.

 

Himchan hated him, and if he didn't rely on the older man to help him pay his bills he probably wouldn't go near the bastard... that and his sister... she deserved better, he'd tried to tell her that thousands of times but she couldn't seem to get it through her thick skull. His once beautiful sister was quickly deteriorating from the drugs Junjin pumped into her system, he knew if she ever decided to straighten her life out she'd have a pretty tough time.

 

“You're late little brother.” Junjin commented while petting Yoona's pretty thin body that clung to his side, as though he were rubbing it in Himchan's face that he was screw Himchan's sister.

 

“Got held up.” he controlled his stare, trying not to look directly at his poorly clothed skeleton of a sister.

 

“The position you're in should make our little appointments your top priority Kim Himchan, wouldn't want me to cut off all ties now would you?”

 

“You're gonna like what held me up though, sir.” Himchan gave a fake cocky smile, though deep down he could never be himself when could see Yoona like this.

 

“Oh?”

 

“Andy-ssi's been asking for more, he had one of his handlers contact me this morning waving a big stack of cash just to keep it hushed from his girl.”

 

Junjin clapped his hands in delight, “It's been a while since a big spender like Andy has knocked on our door, you did good little brother!” he grinned and pushed Yoona off of him, “You deserve a raise, I'll give you twenty percent of the pay he's gonna give us.”

 

“Thanks sir.”

 

“With that said, get outta here, fill Hyesung in on the deals.” he grinned over at Yoona who smiled in her daze, to far gone at the moment to pay attention to the exchange.

 

“Yes sir.” he gave his sister one last look, a longing to take her out of there, to make her see that she deserved something better then this filled him... never though, he had no way of saving her from a demon like Junjin, not now, not ever.

 

After stopping by Hyesung to explain everything he headed back home, stopping by the market to splurge on some cheep grilled something or other on the way. He unlocked then locked his front door behind him. He waded through the various computer parts he'd recently came upon and slumped on his couch, pulling the covers around him. He'd need to turn the heater on sooner or later, that damn heating bill though, it was already rediculous even now when he barely had it on... no matter of clothing could keep the unrelenting chill out though and he'd be damned if the thing that killed him was the cold.

 

As he kept warm under the blanket he felt his cell phone vibrate. He pulled it out and opened the message, smiling slightly as the text radiated warmth. It seemed she knew when he needed her the most, even these little things like texting “Merry Christmas Channie!” had him smiling from ear to ear.

 

He was a fool, falling hard and fast to her kindness... hadn't he learned his lesson, it was like Yongguk always told him, he trusted and became attached to people to easily. If he really cared about her he'd drop her now... that was the tiny selfless side of him at the corner of his mind, the selfish “I'll take what ever I ing want” side normally over powered it quickly enough. He liked when she smiled at him, talked to him, treated him like and equal instead of a thug or a charity case.

 

He didn't deserve it but he sure as hell wasn't gonna give it up simply because “it's the right thing to do” hell, what would that get him in the end? No, he needed her, he wanted her and even if it's the last thing he does he's gonna have her... not to say he'd force her, he held no respect for men who forced women to do anything.

 

Himchan bit his lip and text back “Thanks Amber~ hope you're having fun with your parents.” he wanted to tell her to come over, to be with him at least for today but even he couldn't ask her to miss the chance to spend the day with her parents, she hadn't seen them for a while after all... Still though, it was lonely and cold in that messy rundown apartment.

 

“yeah, it's great to see them!

Junsu's here though, I mean he fun and all but I'd hoped to just hang with the parents today :(

hope you're Christmas is fun filled!

Do anything special?”

 

That Bastard Junsu! Himchan would need to crush him quickly, “oh yeah, tons of fun, my uncle and I are just hanging out.”

 

He couldn't tell her he was alone wishing she were there, or really for anyone to be there. About 3 years ago his uncle had stopped coming home, he hadn't really been around in the first place but it had really left Himchan and Yoona in a difficult situation. Both teens did what ever they could to be able to support them selves, going as far as to hire “uncles” to pose as their legal guardian (no one seemed to notice, one toothless hobo looked pretty much the same to others) but rent wasn't cheap. After a year Yoona gave up and asked Junjin for help, something Himchan had been against but could do nothing about... Junjin agreed to help but in return he Yoona give him something no woman should ever have to give up- her life.

 

Himchan wished to kill him some day.

 

In the end Himchan was able to live a tad bit easier, he could focus on his studies like Yoona had wanted, but he could never feel right about her sacrifice. Someday though he'd make it big and be able to buy a better place, maybe even get Yoona away from that creep (if she agreed to it, he had a feeling she was pretty far gone...) maybe even marry, have kids and get away from the back ally ways for once in his life.

 

“Cool~ we should hang out on new years! We can grab all the guys and eat lots of good food and count down the seconds before the new year :)”

 

Himchan laughed, shaking his head as he read over her words a few more times, trying to think of a way to say that he just wanted it to be just her and him with out sounding to forward and came up with a blank, “Yeah, I'm up for it” even with the others there it'd be worth it, not to mention he was becoming quite entertained by Myungsoo and Dongwoo's failed attempts to get his Amber's attention.

 

 

(AN- before I say anything, I took a very long time deciding who Himchan's “hyung” was gonna be... G-dragon, some of the 1TYM guys (like Teddy) were some of the guys I considered but well, I've been watching a lot of Shinhwa Broadcast and love when Junjin plays the bad guy (lol, was writing this while watching the SNSD ep, I'm to obvious^^)

as for making Yoona Himchan's sister, I've been wanting to write her into a story but have never really had the opportunity or have been able to make a character for her that I found to be different then the usual “queenka” or “stupid ” she's usually portrayed in most stories... Yoona's actually one of my favorite members, I hate seeing her as the in most stories so in this role I wanted to give her a bit of a different role, someone who fell so far from grace yet for very selfless reasons (so her baby brother can focus on making a better life for him self)

 

sorry for the long wait -.- love you guys~)