Chapter Seven

Ferly 2

 

Chapter seven~

 

Christmas was right around the corner- quite literally really, in just a few days Christmas would be here and that left Amber... well normally she'd be excited but she knew it'd be the same as last year (a cold day with barely any joy in the air, Grandmother didn't even like putting Christmas trees up) this year she had plans to spend the morning with Donghae at the orphanage, they'd hand out presents, serve good food and just enjoy the music for a bit... then after that, well she didn't know what she'd do, going home didn't seem appealing and she felt she couldn't intrude on Donghae's time with Bada.

 

Shaking her head to get those depressing thoughts from her mind, she turned to her seat mates and happily chatted with them, all the while remembering Christmas' from year ago- the decorations, her parents with huge smiles, going ice skating (indoor ice skating or course, LA never got cold enough for ice) peppermint hot cocoa and just being there with her family and friends.

 

“Hey Amber, can I talk to you?” She looked up and found Junsu in the door way, she hadn't talked to him since the day she'd skipped to hang out with GO, she'd been avoiding him, part of her just couldn't trust how “coincidental” his arrival had been and the fact that he seemed to be convincing Grandmother of their relationship had her confused as well. Nonetheless she nodded and fallowed him to the courtyard where no one would bother them.

 

“How's it going Junsu?” she asked casually while peering at all the snow that had fallen the night before.

 

“We've been awkward around each other, I just wanted to see if we were alright?” she peeked up at him, wondering how she should comment.

 

“I just want to know what you mean by 'we', when did we become a 'we'?” she wasn't used to being this judgemental, normally she'd hear people out before accusing them of anything but she'd made it clear before that she didn't want to get married to him, that she'd be his friend but selling her self to him wasn't an option.

 

Junsu sighed and patted her should, “I guess I'd be wary of me too, I mean the whole proposal and now this... really I did it for you, I knew your Grandmother would flip out if she found out you'd spent the day with that boy so I swung a few white lies.”

 

“and I appreciate that you'd be willing to have my back but... well, I just don't want you or Grandmother getting any ideas, I'm not getting married to you Junsu.” she sighed and turned way, not wanting to meet his gaze. Junsu had always been a good guy, he'd always played with her back when they were kids when Jjong hadn't wanted to and even now treated her well... she just couldn't though, when she got married she wanted to be inlove and if that were impossible she never wanted to get married.

 

“hey, look, I don't wanna lose you as a friend Super girl, if this whole proposal thing freaks you out then forget it never happened.” he poked his head into view and smiled, “you're to important to me, let's be friends again.”

 

Amber gave a tiny smile, “you won't push it then, no 'I need to you be a sacrificial lamb' nonsense?”

 

“none what so ever, and to celebrate our new kindled friendship let's hang out after school, we'll go Christmas shopping and I'll buy you lots of food!”

 

“fine fine.” she chuckled even though in the back of her mind she couldn't help feeling as though this sounded like a date.

 

 

 

Amber sighed and took another sip of her hot cocoa, “You alright, Amber?” Junsu asked after hearing the same sigh about thirty times already.

 

“Just... I don't know, it's fun and all shopping for my family and all that, but I wish they were with me this year, I miss them.”She then shook her head, “sorry, I'm not being very fun, am I?” she let out a half hearted smile then held up some of the shopping bags she held, “everyone keeps asking me what I want for Christmas this year but the only thing I really want is in a totally different country.”

 

Junsu smiled and patted Amber's shoulder, “I understand, family means a lot to you.” All the while the cogs in his head were turning and turning, each detail being quickly solved and organized.

 

 

 

“Look, the schools showing the 'Nutcracker Ballet' on Christmas Eve.” Amber exclaimed from her spot next to Himchan and Myungsoo. They'd all taken to sitting at the same table, both groups hated each other but niether of Amber “suitors” wanted the other to have more time with her then needed... but then again, Himchan did have class with her so it still seemed unfair to team Myungsoo...

 

“Lame.” Himchan stated, rolling his eyes at the idea of going to a ballet.

 

“It's not, I remember seeing it when I was a kid, there was sword fights, rats and great music! I begged my parents for a Nutcracker doll after seeing it, I really hoped for an adventure like in the play.”

 

everyone stared at Amber's infectious smile, and soon both groups came to the same conclusion- who ever took Amber to this stupid Ballet would get major brownie points, so before Myungsoo could utter a single syllable (he'd opened his mouth and everything!) Himchan let out a, “really now, maybe you and I should go to it, I've never seen it before.”

 

“for real, it's like a requirement over in the states.” she was oblivious to the glaring match between Dongwoo and Himchan while our poor Myungsoo stared down at his lunch and moved it around with his spork.

 

Seeing that his friend wasn't going to strike up this chance, Dongwoo let out a, “we should all go, it'd be fun, all us “friends” going to the same show at the same time.” he shot Himchan a grin.

 

“That'd be great!” and it was, this means she had something to distract her self from the fact that not only was her boyfriend stuck over in Seoul until after the Holidays, but also that she'd spend another Christmas with out her family.

 

Amber held onto the excitement of the show for so long that time flew and by the time Christmas Eve rolled around she was nearly bouncing with excitement, “Amber your... friends are here.” Amber couldn't help laughing at the sound of complete disgust that came from Grandmother, she didn't much like Himchan and his band of goons.

 

“Out in a sec!” she called and quickly waved and blew a kiss towards GO who was on her computer screen grinning at her, “I'll talk to you later.” Amber said as she sat up from her bed and stretch.

 

“Don't stay out to late Cinderella, you have to be at the orphanage by eight tomorrow morning to play Santa.” GO hummed.

 

“correction, I'm an elf, Donghae's playing Santa.” Amber grinned cheekily then reached for one of her hats that was hung up on her bed post.

 

“And what an adorable Christmas elf you are, please tell me you'll be an elf when I get back, that costume you get to wear is-”

 

“You're gonna say something I don't wanna hear dear, no matter how you find that costume I gotta give it back to the church at the end of the day.” she chuckled then put one hand on the top of her laptop, “shutting down~, bye bye!”

 

“Have fun!” GO called before the laptop shut.

 

Amber stood up and gave a fleeting look towards the elf costume the Church had lent her... it really was cute, almost a bit to cute... She shook her head, she'd be wearing it for the kids. She pulled on her jacket and her shoes and headed out of her room, finding Himchan and this friends sitting around her living room much to the discomfort on Grandmother who stood at the side and held a tissue to her nose, “Hey guys, sorry I'm slow.”

 

the boys had been amused by Grandmother's antics so none of them were really in a hurry to leave, none the less they felt they owed it to Himchan to get this girl since he seemed so obsessed with this one... no matter how odd she is, “It's no problem at all, thanks for the hospitality Mrs. Kim.” Yongguk sent Grandmother a grin before standing up and held up one of the cookies on the table that weren't for those Roughnecks at all (Grandmother had made them specifically for her friends that would be arriving very soon) and shook it towards her, “great cookies by the way, we were starved.” he chuckled, sending terrified shivers down Grandmother's spine.

 

“Get them out of here.” Grandmother whispered very loudly towards Amber who just grinned and nodded, “I'll be back by Seven Grandmother, I hope your party goes well.” and with that herded the boys out the door and into the frozen streets of Kwangju.

 

“What took you so long, I swear she was trying to burn holes in us with that glare.” Himchan grumbled then slung an arm around her, trying to make it seem like the most casual gesture in the world so as not to scare her away.

 

“Had to say good bye to GO, I was talking to him on Skype before you guys got there.” she commented, not noticing the annoyed eye roll from Himchan or the impish grins from his friends.

 

He tightened his grip on her shoulder, holding onto the one upside that HE was spending Christmas eve with her and not that rich kid, soon enough GO would be out and Himchan would be in! Or at least that's what his train of thought was leading him to, if he could really see into the future he'd know that it'd take more then a missed Christmas to split them apart, not to mention unbeknownst of him he had several people competing Game of thrones style for that same spot.

 

Through out the whole walk to the school Amber babbled on about how excited she was to be going to this thing while Himchan shot dirty looks towards the snickering bunch of babbling buffoons behind them. It was fairly uneventful and cold so by the time they reached to school even Himchan was slightly relieved even when Myungsoo and Dongwoo were already there waiting for them.

 

“Hey guys!” Amber cried out and pulled both boys into big bear hugs, something Himchan didn't much care for.

 

“Merry Christmas!” Dongwoo cheered in English as he pulled Amber along with him and Myungsoo, sending back a grin towards Himchan, “let's hurry before the show starts!”

 

To Himchan's dismay Dongwoo was a greater advisory then he'd expected for the moment they got into the auditorium Dongwoo had sandwiched Amber inbetween him and Myungsoo as they sat down. He'd have to kill this Jung Dongwoo, he'd been hoping to sit next to her! For the first half of the ballet Himchan sat feeling as though he'd tear his hair out, this had be the worst thing he'd ever watched EVER not to mention everytime he looked towards Amber she'd been talking with Myungsoo, laughing with Myungsoo, sharing snacks with Myungsoo! It was all very disturbing.

 

He got his chance though when half time (as he liked to call it) came about and everyone except him and Amber decided to use the bathroom. He hopped into Dongwoo's vacated seat and grinned at Amber, “Great play huh, love the rats.” he said offhandedly and set his arm on the same arm rest as her, feeling her smooth skin under his finger tips.

 

“yeah, it's been such a long time since I've seen this.” Amber grinned, “it's gonna sound funny but I really wanted to be a ballerina after watching this thing, I wore the pretty dresses and everything.”

 

for a moment he could picture it, little Amber twirling around in shimmery pink frills with her hair pulled up. He'd never admit it to the guys but he found it endearing, something no one would have thought Amber Liu would have dreamed of becoming. In his mind he picture her dressed like Clara (who he'd been eyeing through out most of this stupid thing) sweet innocents with a touch of a nurturing nature, she'd be beautiful.

 

“I'd love to see that.” he murmured, getting lost in his own thoughts, not even noticing as the others got back into their seats, or how Dongwoo glared daggers at him. No, the only thing he could think of as he sat watching the nutcracker prince dance with Clara is how he wished those two were him and Amber, no matter how lame that sounded.

 

 

 

“that was so fun!” Amber smiled as she walked arm and arm with Myungsoo and Himchan. Moments ago there'd been a debate on who'd walk her home in which she sat on the side lines getting her “hey guys, I can go home by my self” ignored. In the end Amber had offered the idea that everyone should go to her house (though she doubted Grandmother wanted Himchan and his gang back... and yet Amber didn't care...) this caused about eighty percent to claim they had places to be which left Himchan, her and Myungsoo.

 

“yeah, we should watch more of those ballet things together.” Himchan hummed, the icy night air finally waking him up from the nap he'd had during the show.

 

“Yeah, I really think the guys got into it.” She stated, not noticing the eye roll from both boys.

 

“Is your Grandmother really ok with us coming over, I mean she won't even allow Dongwoo and I over after school?”

 

“who cares, Amber's a rebel.” Himchan pulled Amber closer and grinned over at Myungsoo when she didn't pull away.

 

“Grandmother-nim might be a bit... difficult but she is Amber's Grandmother, she deserves respect.” he said, though it's not like he ever went out of his way to be near the woman, on a normal occasion if he wanted to go to Amber's house he went through her window and stayed clear of the front door.

 

“pssh, respect, what that woman needs is to get lai-”

 

“ah, look, it's starting to snow again!” Amber let go of both boys, racing forward before turn back to them, “isn't the snow pretty guys?” both Myungsoo and Himchan paused, staring at her in her marshmallow jacket, her short black hair covered in snow- even like this she held their attention, neither wanting to admit how cute she was, “Guys?”

 

“ah, yeah, it's pretty.” Myungsoo smiled and willed his legs to move forward.

 

“come on, let's get home and get some hot cocoa!” Amber cheered and raced towards her home with the two boys chasing after her. She'd never expect to find what she did when she opened her front door (but then who could of unless you were Grandmother or Junsu)

 

“Merry Christmas baby.” a man and woman beamed in the center of the living room and in an instant the boys could tell just who they were.

 

“Mom, Dad!” Amber cried out and hurried into her parent's waiting arms. After a moment of untranslatable blubbering Amber pulled away smiling widely at them, “I can't believe you're here, how?”

 

“you're boyfriend- who you neglected to tell us about- payed for everything!” Amber's father commented, all the while slipping weary glances at Junsu who stood with grandmother.

 

Boyfriend meant GO, yet she knew he couldn't of done this. She looked over at Junsu as well, just then noticing his presence and felt her own weariness at his gift... the one thing she'd wanted, he'd granted it, yet why did this make her more worried then happy? She shook her head though, this had been what she wanted and she didn't want to waste it, “how long have you been here, sit down sit down.” Amber motioned for them to sit down then turned to the boys at the door, “Mom, Dad, these are my two best friends Kim Myungsoo and Kim Himchan.” she showed them off as though they were a piece of jewelry, shiny and clean with out a single fault, that's something that both boys felt pride in.

 

“Ah, nice to meet you.” Himchan quickly gave a ninety degree bow.

 

“It's great to finally meet you Mr. and Mrs. Liu.” Myungsoo said then bowed to the ground at Amber's parents' feet.

 

“polite and good looking.” Amber's mom commented.

 

“Thank you.” Myungsoo smiled and couldn't help giving a gloating grin over at Himchan who rolled his eyes.

 

As the encounter went on, Myungsoo found him self alone in a corner with Mr. Liu (something that happens far to often for both men really, both being pretty quiet souls after all) while the others talked animatedly in the center of the room. The momentum he'd had before had quickly vanished as he watched Amber talk with that older boy while Himchan's eagerness to get closer had risen... he just didn't work well in these situations, he could shoot out a few good bits of material but in the end he just didn't function in social events.

 

“Amber's talked about you quite a bit if it makes you feel any better.” Myungsoo peered over at Mr. Liu, “It might sound a bit weird, but I've been rooting for you.”

 

“huh?” did Amber know about his feelings? Was she talking about his crush on her? God, what if she thought it was a joke, that she's been complaining to her dad about that creeper shy guy who couldn't take a hint!

 

“Don't worry, she hasn't noticed,” Jon chuckled and looked over at his wife and youngest daughter, “She takes after her mother, took me telling her to her face that I loved her for her to know, she'd never have even thought of it if I hadn't.” Jon looked back at Myungsoo and grinned, “It's Symbiotic you know, while those women are out going, guys like us are quiet... Jinny and I were meant to be and, well, don't give up Myungsoo, it's best just to grab her by the shoulders and tell her straight.”

 

“She uh, has a boyfriend sir...” Was Mr. Liu really giving him a pep talk? He barely knew this guy yet he seemed to already know what was going on in his head.

 

“that guy over there? The older one? He better not be dating my daughter, I was hoping that was a joke.” Jon scoffed and mentally burned Junsu in his mind.

 

“no, uh, that's complicated, she's going out with-”

 

“not that thug over there, she'd never last a second with him.”

 

“no, He's uh, he goes to school in Seoul... he's a pretty nice guy, a bit of a sketchy past but I've never really had a problem with him.”

 

“... you're doing battle with three guys then?”

 

Myungsoo sighed in defeat, “...yeah...”

 

Abruptly Jon turned to face Myungsoo and looked him in the eye seriously, “I'm counting on you Myungsoo, Amber needs a good guy to ground her and you're it.” He nodded his head, as if pleased with his own words, “you're the kind of guy every father dreams of their daughter marrying, please try hard.”

 

Myungsoo blushed and nodded his head, “I'll try sir.”

 

 

 

“So... Junsu got Amber's parents down here for the holidays.” Himchan commented as they walked home. It just happened that the bus station was in the same direction as Myungsoo's house so they ended up walking side by side in awkward silence.

 

“yeah... they seem nice.”

 

Himchan chuckled, this kid was oblivious, “Junsu's trying to get into Amber's pants you idiot, this gives him major browny points.

 

“... I knew that.” though Myungsoo hadn't thought of it in such a cynical way.

 

“we should call a temporary truce.”

 

“huh?”

 

“You know, a temporary white flag, we don't fight until we knock both rich boys outta the field.”

 

“I know what a truce is... just why?”

 

“pssh, I don't know about you but I could probably take GO but both him and Mr. Money back there- YAH, Grandmother was practically drooling for crying out loud.”

 

Myungsoo pondered Himchan's words- it was true, he didn't trust Junsu though he couldn't bring him self to try to ruin GO's chances with Amber... with out either though it'd be Himchan and him and he had a feeling Amber would be more swayed by Himchan then him self, at least with GO in the picture She'd be with a guy he could kind of trust, “you want to get the others outta the way so you can swoop in, you've already written me outta the picture.”

 

“so you are smart, I was thinking it could go either way really, really I had a bet with the guys that you were secretly brilliant.”

 

Myungsoo decided he didn't like Himchan to much, he seemed to cocky. Slipping his hands in his pockets he let his formal polite air down and said bluntly, “I'd rather Amber end up with anyone other then you.”

 

A smile slipped across Himchan lips, “thems fighting words Myungsoo~”

 

“Well it's true... you're just not good for Amber.” he hoped he wasn't going to far, he wasn't used to being so mean.

 

“ouch, that really hurt.” Himchan mocked, practically imploding from laughter that threatened to flow out.

 

“I... I'm serious,” he finally looked at Himchan's face, into Himchan's eyes, “you're not going to win.”

 

Hah, this kid was serious, and while he'd wanted to laugh he couldn't help feeling like he'd just been slapped in the face. That guy had to understand he didn't have a chance, he had so many things going against him yet... yet the look of determination made him believe other wise, that perhaps there was more to Kim Myungsoo then Kim Himchan had thought.

 

Himchan shook his head, chuckling at his own thoughts- there was no way Myungsoo had a chance, the guy Amber would be with in the end was Himchan for sure... even at this thought he subconsciously cautioned him self not to overlook this wall flower.

 

 

 

(AN- soooo... I lied, Christmas will come next chapter, on the bright side Myungsoo's growing a pair... sorta, he still can't help being a good guy -.- (I keep picture a little chibi Myungsoo during the last scene... I really want a ChibiMyungsoo plushy now...) next chapter Amber will spend more time with her family (need to stop talking before I give something away -.-) so... yeah, merry... er... happy late Christmas/newyears/Valentines day/every other holiday that's past...)