Neither Nor

Love Story

 

 

Tammy held onto YuNi's shirt and cross the street. YuNi had offered her hand to Tammy but she would rather hold onto her shirt. Tammy said it was less embarrassing but YuNi thought it was the total opposite. It was weird to have a kid hanging onto your shirt. MyungSoo was walking behind them keeping his distance. He didn't even want to come but his parents bribe him with money and he tag along. Tammy tugs on YuNi's shirt and pointed to a shoemaker store.
 
"Unnie I like that store!"
 
YuNi agreed on the store and led them over. The faster they got shopping done the faster YuNi could get back to her comic. YuNi went to the converse section and picked out the same pair she was wearing, a black high top. MyungSoo stood next to her and push a red pair in her hand.
 
"Get a red one."
 
"I like the black one. Red is too appealing, it catches people's attention."
 
YuNi puts the red ones back and walks away to Tammy. She was wearing a gold sparkly shoe on one feet and a red shiny leather shoe in the other. YuNi sat down next to her and started at Tammy's choices.
 
"They're both so...eye catching."
 
"That's why I like them." Tammy turns her head from one side to the other. "I want both."
 
YuNi pinches her cheeks. "Okay since you been so good to me, you can buy two."
 
Tammy pushes YuNi's hand away. “You're embarrassing me." She looks around the store and only saw MyungSoo. "Why did oppa come if he doesn't want to be seen with us? Weirdo."
 
"I think he's bored. His friends went on a cruise for the weekend. Appa and umma won't let him go."
 
Tammy took the shoes off and put on her old pair. "Unnie should get two too, oppa like the red one buy it."
 
YuNi looks at MyungSoo and then the red converse. "Should I?"
 
Tammy smiles nodding.
 
----
 
YuNi hands MyungSoo his smoothie and walks back to Tammy who was on the other side of the cafe. No matter how much Tammy asks him to sit with them he wouldn't but he wanted YuNi to bring him his drink. Being a good wife she listens and did what he asked. YuNi didn't mind doing things for MyungSoo sometimes but there were a few times where she just wanted to knock MyungSoo out. She asks herself again why she had to like him. He didn't treat her nicely at all. He didn't want to be seen with her nor acknowledge her.
 
YuNi watches as Tammy ate her ice cream in peace. She felt bad for Tammy, she was eight and her parents were too busy for her. Today it was supposed to be her day with her mother but she didn't finish her project and couldn't come. YuNi reach over and wipe the ice cream on the side of Tammy's lips off. Even if Tammy haven't been the nicest person to her since she moved in three months ago YuNi felt closest to her. They often get into agreements over how Tammy should treat her with respect but in the end Tammy usually gives up and starts calling her unnie instead of yah.
 
YuNi didn't blame Tammy for acting the way she did. She understood. Tammy doesn't get enough attention from her family and then all of a sudden here was YuNi, another person to come and take away attention from her parents and MyungSoo when she didn't get enough from them herself.
 
Tammy hands YuNi her trash. "I'm done."
 
"Okay, let's go get MyungSoo then we can leave. I want to finish my comic book."
 
"A new one? Are they that interesting? You are always reading them."
 
YuNi shrug. "Depends on the person."
 
----
 
YuNi flops on her bed and reach for her Death Note manga. She was so into the story she finishes a volume in a quick amount of time, if no one bothers her. MyungSoo walks into her room and stared at her, YuNi was laying on her stomach with her legs kicking in the air. Why was she always in her room he wonders? He had to get her out or she will never come out of it. It bothered him that she was in her room when he was stuck with Tammy down stairs. Why can’t she be down stairs too?
 
"When are we going to eat?"
 
"Is that the only thing you want to know when you see me?" YuNi turns her head to look at him. "There’s ramen in the kitchen."
 
"I'm not in the mood for ramen."
 
"Cook something then." She turns back to her book.
 
"Do you want the house to burn down?" MyungSoo cross his arms on his chest.
 
YuNi sits up on her bed. "We just had snacks. Can't we eat later?"
 
"You guys can eat later if you want. I'm hungry now."
 
"I'll cook later." YuNi went back to her position.
 
MyungSoo walks deeper into her room and sat on the pink and yellow flower printed chair. "I'll wait then." 
 
YuNi turns her head to him. "Can you wait somewhere else?"
 
"I don't want to." MyungSoo picks up one of the stuff animals YuNi had pile on the floor and examine it. "You still play with dolls?"
 
"Don't touch my stuff." YuNi sat up and reach over taking the stuff animal from MyungSoo. "Why are you in my room?"
 
"It's my house."
 
"So?"
 
"So I can. Besides it's your fault I couldn't be with my friends."
 
"How is it my fault?"
 
"You didn't want to go."
 
"They're not my friends why should I? You want them to find out about us?"
 
"If you were less weird maybe you could be friends with them."
 
"How am I weird?" YuNi asks offended.
 
"You don't care about what you wear, you like reading those comic books and you don't like socializing. You're a loner."
 
"And? I like who I am. At least I'm not a big jerk who thinks he could push people around, who thinks the whole school likes him." YuNi hadn’t notice but her voice got louder. 
 
"The whole school does like me."
 
"No" YuNi stands up on her feet and starts walking to the door. "I don't."
 
MyungSoo stand from his chair. "What? You're my wife." He yanks her around by the arm.
 
YuNi held her head high staring back at him. "Just because I'm your wife it doesn't mean I like you. You’re my husband, do you like me?"
 
MyungSoo stood silent looking at YuNi, she was right.
 
YuNi yanks her arm out of his grip. "Curry okay?"
 
----
 
MyungSoo sat at the dinner table and watch as YuNi sat on the couch reading her book. Tammy was watching some kind of variety show and he pretended to watch it as he observe his wife. She was in her normal attire of a loose baggy white shirt and black tights. She had on her glasses and her hair was in a simple pony tail. 
 
She was so simple how dare she not like me? He slams his cup on the table and she look up. Why did it bother him so much that she didn’t like him?
 
“What’s wrong?” YuNi asks closing her book.
 
“Nothing.” MyungSoo stood from his seat and went to the sink with his dishes.
 
YuNi stood next to him and the water. “Are you still mad about not being able to go on the trip with your friends?”
 
“I don’t care.”
 
“You’re mad, you obviously care.”
 
“That’s not the reason why I’m mad.” MyungSoo started soaping his dishes.
“Are you mad I called you a jerk? If you are then stop acting like one and maybe I won’t call you names.” YuNi started rinsing the dishes. 
 
“You seriously don’t like me?” He looks at YuNi.
 
“I’m neutral; I don’t hate nor like you.” YuNi shrug.
 
“I have a chance then?” He stares at her. I’ll make you like me.
 
YuNi stare back at him but with wide nervous eyes. Please…don’t.