Woes of Living Together

Just a Title to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm an hour behind schedule but editing a long chapter is more work then I antcipated. Overall, a promise is a promise so I'm here with a new chapter. Hope everyone likes it; I won't lie, I was a big hesistant about it's strength so let me know what you think. Plenty more to come and the real drama has yet to arrive so keep that in mind while reading ;) Thanks again to all my subbies\readers for the comments and votes! Keep it up; your making this newbie writer a very happy girl :] 

-------------------------------

With Seunghyun by my side, things became that much more uncomfortable then they did when it was just Jason and I alone. I don't quite know why but Seunghyun isn't even giving any attention to Jason; its as if he doesn't see anyone but me.

 

"I wondered where you were" he grinned "I got so worried when you didn't come back. You said you'd come right back"

 

He was pouting now!! His pout would usually make me smile or laugh but this time I didn't get that sensation. I don't mind him acting, I do it myself around his friends but Jason is different; he means something different to me and I don't feel right having to lie to him like this.

 

His hold on my side tightened as he acknowledged the still standing Jason, "Oh Jason Hi, I didn't even know you were there. Are you here on business?"

 

His eyes were still staring down at where Seunghyun had his laying. I could feel the fiery blue eyes fighting to come back to reality; they did, faster then I had imagined but I'm glad it happened, it might make things much easier.

 

"Yeah.. My dad and I were talking to Mr. Kim at the Board of Directors meeting. Guess we'll be seeing more of each other after they sign the contract... But I'm surprised I didn't see you up there; long night of fun and games and not enough work?" he smirked 

 

I had never seen Jason in this way before. He didn't say it in a bad way but I could hear some kind of sarcasm in his tone; a lot like the kind Seunghyun uses in everyday conversations. Seunghyun laughed as if he was amused but I could see that wasn't the case either; at least not from the aura I'm getting between these two. What is this?

 

"Actually, it was a really long night; wasn't it baby?" He turned to me, smiling widely with a smirk plastered on his lips.

 

I didn't return the smile but could only muster up a warning, "Not right now" I hissed through gritted teeth. Didn't he learn from last time?

 

"Oh yeah Jason, I'm sorry I completely forgot. This is my fiancée Christine."

 

His face dropped, mouth hung half open, and I know he was shocked from the way he played with end of his earlobe; a natural habit he only does when he's caught off guard of some sort. "Fiancée? Since when?" he questioned, only looking at me. I could hear the slowness in his voice as he tried to say those three words. 

 

I hated this. I hated knowing what the shocking news did to him and how its making me act towards Seunghyun. But the thing I hate the most is how I can't tell him the truth or even take a second to speak up. I can't do anything since I feel so helpless in this situation as well.

 

"We've been together about two years or it could be three, its so hard to keep track when your in the moment"

 

Jason brought up his upset face to only show an even more confused one. I know exactly why and it makes me wish I had said something instead because this will only complicate things or make Jason suspicious of mine and Seunghyun's real relationship.

 

"Really?" Jason asked. "How come I've never heard her mention you before? I'd think as Christine's childhood friend, I would have know about her fiancée"

 

This time it was Seunghyun who took the blow. I could feel his gaze on me as he fixed his words.

 

"We both decided to keep it a secret... From everyone. Our parents don't even know yet, I'm waiting to tell mine the next time they come for a visit; isn't that right baby?" he spoke again. I nodded so I didn't have to speak; I didn't have the words anyway.

 

The silence between the three of us grew longer and more difficult  until Jason decided to end it for good.

 

" I won't keep you two, I have to get to the office anyway. Maybe we can get together soon, like old times sake"

 

"But Jason.." I began

 

"It's okay, we can talk later Christine. Again, congratulations to the two of you"

 

I didn't want things to go like that especially considering its been a while since we've gotten together. Watching him walk away was hard but having to deal with Seunghyun seemed harder. I managed to get out of his grip despite him trying to keep me in.

 

"Not at work, okay. The last thing we need is people saying you'll give me special treatment because we're together"

 

"Fine" he said as we walked back. "But that Jason really is something. Thinking he can act like that because him and his dad started up their own company.  Why bother saying "congratulations again" if he didn't even say it the first time"

 

I wanted to respond back but found it to be unworthy of a response. I can't defend Jason without bringing on any sort of emotion that might come with it so I acted like I usually do.

 

"Just shut up and get back to work" I said, speeding up to our shared office space.

 

----

 

It was hard to work with Jason on my mind. Not only was I thinking of us today, it brought back memories of the past but specifically that one day that occurred over a year ago.

 

*Flashback

 

"Jason! We have to study for this final or else you'll never pass!" I tried to say despite the laughter that I wanted to suppress.

 

He continued to tickle me even though I begged him to stop. The feeling of his fingertips running up and down my sides made me giggle. He knows all of my weaknesses and one of those is being tickled. If I'm being tickled on my tummy and sides, which are my most sensitive parts, it's like my whole torso is being consumed. It's so unbearable yet so fantastic at the same time. I feel panic, I'll scream and laugh, but at one point my lungs become soo worn out I struggle to even breathe. My whole body grows frail from the constant friendly assault and the only way to stop him is to scream in mercy.

 

"Fine! Mercy!" I screamed as he grinned in victory; he always wins though, every time since we've been kids.

 

"I'd think you would know better by now; I'm surprised though, you usually last longer. Are you losing your touch?"

 

"I would have if you didn't have to start a tickle war at the library. I know we're in a private study room but walls have ears too you know!" I laughed

 

"True but I needed something to get your mind off studying. You know there is something outside of studying; that thing called life, it's a fun thing I hear" he smirked but giving him my usual stare caused him to automatically start laughing. This is for his final that will let him graduate yet he's giving me a hard time. "Let's go get some food huh? My treat"

 

I had agreed and we were about to leave when his phone rang. His face instantly transformed as he answered. I had a feeling it was her; the girl he didn't want to marry.

 

"So-Eun ah, can I call you later? You know I'm studying for my finals"

 

I tried to tune it out and think of good times but it was no use. Why haven't we gotten together before? I still don't know the answer to that myself because I'm trying to figure out where these underlying feelings came from. We always sort of flirted in a friendly way but as we got older, I'd feel more when we were together. I didn't really understand it until I knew he was with someone else.

 

I've been through it all with Jason and he's done the same for me. I was there to comfort him when his mom died at such a young age and when his dad remarried Bom and Dara's mom. He was always there to play and talk when I didn't see my own parents as much. He was even the one to protect me from Grace when she'd get out of hand. We talked, laughed, cried and did everything together. When his whole family moved to Cambridge for his dad's work, I felt beyond repair. I had not only lost him but Bom and Dara as well. I was lucky to gain Liv in college because she helped me get through the rut of losing them so quickly.

 

When I got into USC for my second round of studying, he was right there too. He had done his first year of Business School at Harvard but somehow transferred right when I got in for year one of three of law school. The first day when he surprised me was magnificent. He caught me off guard and we spent the whole day catching up by visiting all of our favorite spots growing up. It was the end of that great day that he broke the news of him getting married or at least being engaged. It made me feel the same way I did when they left and it was then that I knew our playful friendship over the years could only stay that way because I never did anything about it.

 

I couldn't complain though, So-Eun was a great girl who was hard to dislike. Really sweet,smart, and beautiful at that. She and her family had been life-long friends with the Park's and even I have memories of being around her during the Summer when the Hwang's would visit from Colorado. He had even said it himself, he likes So-Eun but not in a way to marry her. Supposedly, both their families had planned\joked about the two marrying since they were young but it became real as they both got older and stayed unmarried. They got engaged but won't be planning or getting married until So-Eun finishes school as well. She had about couple years left like myself so for now its just the title they both carry.

 

"Christine?" he waved his hand in my face, breaking me of this deep spell "Are you okay?"

 

"Of course, Let's go.." I tried walking away but he grabbed my wrist. I gave it my all to not break down in front of him. It's hard enough for him let alone me. He doesn't want it either so there's no use making him feel bad.

 

"Your lying. Why don't you tell me. You tell me everything" he whispered.

 

"Jason, it's nothing!" I tried to convince him but he wasn't having it; he knew better.

 

"It's because of her isn't it?"

 

I stayed quiet and held my head down in shame for giving away my feelings so easily without knowing. He grabbed both my hands in his and shook me; I felt the vibrations with each back and forth motion.

 

"Why don't you say it. I know that's what you want to say. Just say it, one word is all I need.."

 

"No.."

 

"Christine. Your not with anyone and I don't want this either so just say the word!"

 

I shook my head in both sadness and frustration. "It doesn't work like that Jason! What do you want me to do! Tell you to break it off so you'll break your parents heart. You said it yourself, they had this planned since both of us were kids. Plus, its too late to think of us in that way..."

 

"So it's okay for me to see this hurting you? You've been putting on this act for two years now and to this day I've been waiting for you to stop me. I'll always be your friend but even I at this point want to try things out with us; making it a us officially so your not only my friend but my girl.." 

 

To think he knew my feelings this whole time and was waiting for me to say something back not only hurt me but made me think back at my actions.

 

I looked up at him as his water like orbs stared straight back into my darker ones. His gaze was so stimulating and strong. With this feeling inside me, he leaned in and kissed my forehead, looking back up to see my reaction. I did nothing but savor the moment. He slowly traveled down to my cheek and laid another peck before looking up yet again. I knew what would happen next and while a part of me wanted him to be my first kiss, I stopped him knowing full well he'd regret it later.

 

"Jason, don't do this. We've had a lifetime of friendship to do this and we didn't. For whatever reason, it wasn't meant to be. If the time ever comes that's different but for now, don't do anything you'll beat yourself over later."

 

He knew I was right and with that, he apologized and I let him know that it wasn't needed. We both knew what was going on and as adults we made the right decision. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing I had any part breaking up a couple whether they are happy or not; its the principle of things and she's too nice of a person to hurt like that. I know Jason would feel the same since he isn't a bad guy as well. After this, things were a bit weird for the rest of the day but after it was over; we both tried to erase it and move on from that day.

 

He passed all of his classes that next week thanks to our study sessions and graduated. That year he also made the move back to Cambridge a couple weeks after graduation because it was part of the deal between him and his dad. By being in Cambridge for the time they've been there so far, Mr Park and Jason would be able to branch off on their own. Until then, I had to live with the fact that I was the one who pushed him away this time..

--

 

"Christine, did you finish that paper yet?" he asked

 

It was then that it hit me. The reason why I'm letting this deal go on. The job is part of it but it wasn't the entire reason. I blocked out what happened between Jason and I that day; burying it deeper than I ever imagined. Everything I said and what he was going through. It is all so similar to Seunghyun's situation and I feel like a part of me sympathized for him just like I sympathized for Jason but didn't do anything that time. Maybe this time I had a chance to help someone so I did. As surreal as it seems, I don't know if I regret it. Maybe its too early to say that but what if life is getting back at me now by being in this fake relationship. Could I have been happy with Jason if I told him to break it off? It might have not worked out but what if it did?

 

I shouldn't be having these thoughts anyway. Even if he isn't happy with the decision, he still is going through with it. All this time has passed and I'm in this deal with Seunghyun now; I don't back out on anything I promise so I'm going to do the same thing I told Jason during our last meeting. I am going to remember that it wasn't meant for us to be together and I'm going to accept that as the truth.

 

"CHRISTINE!!" he yelled

 

"WHAT!" I yelled back "Why are you yelling at me"

 

"I wouldn't have to yell if you answered the first time"

 

"Oh..sorry." I admitted in defeat "What did you ask me again?"

 

"Um that was too easy... but did you finish filling out that paper I gave you?

 

Looking down, I noticed it was blank; the same way I received it. Oh damnit, I'm letting this whole thing ruin my credibility of doing a good job.

 

"Not yet.. I'll have it done in ten minutes!"

 

"It's okay" he waved his hand, not even looking over since he's soo distracted with the hand-held computer tablet "It's not even due till tomorrow so take your time. Finish that other stuff too, will ya"

 

I noticed the huge piles of paperwork that took over my desk yet his had nothing on it. I know I'm his assistant but you'd think as CEO he'd be doing something or at least look busy.

 

"Hey! What are you doing?" I yelled

 

"She's backk" he crooned "What else does it look like I'm doing? I'm watching TV"

 

"I know that smartass but don't you think you can be helping me with these papers instead? I don't even think I'm authorized to be looking at some of these let alone making decisions for them"

 

"It's fine, I trust you and stuff"

 

Seriously, he's testing my patience. I was about to reply back when we both turned our attention to the door where a soft knock came from. Some guy about mid-teens stood there with flowers in his hands seeming kind of nervous. Maybe its his first day on the job to!

 

"Are you Ms. Malek?" he asked then looked at the card "Christine Malek?"

 

"Yes"

 

So those are for me?

 

"These are for you" he finally smiled and placed the arrangement on the table. He continued to smile at me and stare. I heard Seunghyun clear his voice as he gave him a knowing look.

 

"You can go now" he scoffed.

 

Poor kid. I glared at him and returned the smile to the young kid.

 

"Thank you"

 

With that, he left and I grabbed the card. It was from my parents and I should have known better they'd embarrass me at work with such a ridiculously large but beautiful flower arrangement. I smiled reading the heart felt words of motivation.

 

"So..who are those from?" he asked getting up from his seat so he could take a 'stroll' around the room.

 

Is he being possessive again? I shook the mental thought and . Might as well have fun with it.

 

"Oh these? I'm not sure, it doesn't say from who but they sure do have a way with words. It's probably another admirer or something."

 

"Say What!" he shouted

 

"You didn't think your the only man in my life that can sway me with sweet nothings, did you?" I replied, trying to muffle the laughter that wanted to escape so badly from his overly protective face.

 

"Let me see." he said, trying to grab the card from my hand.

 

"NO WAY!"

 

We both sort of ran around the room, playing keep-a-way with a card that had no such thing written on it. Eventually, he trapped me between himself and the desk. This is so familiar to when we first met in his NY office.

 

"You gonna let me see it now?" he spoke oh so softly in his deep voice

 

"Not a chance."

 

"Do you want me to pull out the big guns then?"

 

"I don't break that easily." I smirked

 

Before I knew it, his hands started to run up and down my sides; just like my daydream earlier. I felt the same sensation as I tried not to break but again, it is my weakness so it didn't take long before I shrieked in laughter. I laughed from the feeling and he laughed knowing he was getting his way. We were both so into the moment, we didn't hear Sarah clearing yet a second time. Why is it she keeps finding us in such positions. Like déjà vu, I pushed him out of my way as she giggled.

 

"Christine, you have some visitors." she announced.

 

"Me?" "Her?" the two of us both asked at the same time as Sarah giggled even more. Seriously, if she didn't know better, hell if anyone didn't know better, they'd say we really are a couple of years. No way in hell though is that really happening.

 

Before I could question who, I saw my sister Camille walk in with my mini-me niece Mia who was holding one flower in her hand. My sister waved since she was still on a business call, like usual of course but my niece broke ties with her and ran to me to grab her.

 

"Auntie Christine!" she smiled in my arms.

 

"Hi sweet pea," I greeted her back "How was pre-school?"

 

"Great! Mommy brought me by to see you for a few minutes before she takes me back to grandma's but I got you this!" she held out the flower proudly

 

"Thank you!" I cuddled her tighter
 

 

"Oh finally! I swear they'd never last if I didn't get things done." she sighed, pushing back the short wavy auburn colored hair back out of her face

 

My sister Camille is a beast. She's this small little thing on the outside but she'll swallow up the competition if it means business. She dresses far from the typical boring business woman, she had on her blazing red dress with a tailored black blazer on and high stilettos that were probably used to poke holes in her rivals. Did I mention the girl is also six months pregnant now too?

 

"Don't you think you shouldn't rile yourself up like that Cam? It's not good for the baby" I reasoned.

 

"I know I know, I'm taking a yoga class tomorrow so don't worry about me, your finally working!" she cheered, pulling me into her embrace.

 

Being five siblings was hard because all of us have such different personalities but being a bit closer in age kinda helped; my eldest brother of all of us only shares a five year age difference with the youngest me. Also, Camille being my only sister, she helped me a lot with all my first girls stuff like buying me clothes for prom and the first days of school or even understanding the dreaded period.

 

She looked over at the arrangement of flowers and smiled. " I see you got mom and dad's flowers. This one down here kept saying she wanted to buy Auntie Christine a flower for her first job; its not as big as theirs but its with her own money so try to indulge her a bit" she smiled.

 

From the corner of my eyes, I could see Seunghyun's grin appear as she said that last statement. Thanks Cam for ruining my fun. He walked over and stood close by.

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter