Heaven

Baby don't cry

Once outside of their apartment, Lay tried to hail a taxi to take them to the hospital. He stood their with Meili in his arms, blood on both of them as she coughed some more. 

"Hold on for me, just for a little bit. Please," He begged her as he started to give up on the taxi's. He started to run towards the hospital. No matter what happened, she'd make it there, he'd make sure of it. 

"Xing, it's hurts." She said in between breaths. "It hurts a lot." Lay held her closer as he ran faster, trying to make sure she would get better. 

"I'll get you there. Baobei, I'll get you there," Lay's voice cracked as he spoke. He saw her nose bleeding, he bit his tongue as he tried not to yell out in frustration. He tried to not yell in anger or sadness. Lay didn't want to cry any tears, he didn't want to seem weak in front of her, not right now that is.  His mind was clouded at the moment his clothes were bloodied along with Meili. 

Lay's sides started to hurt, his lungs burned from the lack of oxygen, his arms and legs were sore from running and carrying Meili in his arms. He wanted to stop but would not and could not stop, not unless Meili told him. Only she can tell him whether to stop or not. He just didn't want her to. 

"Yixing," Meili called out, her blood was everywhere now. "Can you stop for a minute?" She asked Lay. Her voice sound weak, and her body trembled. 

Slowing down his pace Lay stopped and slowly sat down on the street. The both of them now on a bridge sat by the wall, Lay took off his backpack and ped it, he took a small blanket and wrapped it around Meili. He dug in the bag and took out a small towel, along with his black beanie. He turned her head towards his, as he put the beanie on her head to keep her warm even with the spring weather. He took the small towel and started to gently wipe her blood away. 

"I'm tired," She mumbled to him. 

"Don't sleep right now, stay awake, talk to me. Just don't close your eyes, baobei." He told her as he wiped her blood away. 

"I'm too tired to keep my eyes open though," She said. Her eyes felt heavy as she was slipping in and out of consciousness. "Baobei, take care of yourself," She told him. Her right hand held his left cheek, a little blood on her fingers from wiping earlier. A tear fell from her eyes as she looked at him, her vision was getting fuzzy as time went by. 

"Thank you, Yixing. Thank you for teaching me what love is, was, and forever will be. Thank you for loving me for so long. I will always remember those happy memories of ours. The ones that we were left with to hold and cherish forever. Even though our wedding was not big, or we didn't have enough money for a wedding ring, I still enjoyed being married to you." She said.

Tears were falling after ever word she wiped away Yixing's tears as he did the same for her. "I'm sorry I could not give you any kids. If only you married who your parents wanted you to marry then you could have a child or two," She laughed a sad laugh by herself.

Knowing where she was going with this he pulled her into a hug, "Don't cry. Baby, please don't cry. Your eyes will be red and puffy when you wake up. You wouldn't want that would you?" He asked her trying to lighten up the mood if possible. His voice cracking as tears fell.

He inhaled her sweet scent, taking in a big breath. He wanted to be able to smell her every time they'd hug. He wanted to feel her light pecks on his lips everytime they were close enough. He just wanted to grow old with her, not without her. "In our next life, I hope God let's us love each other again. This time I hope he is fair."

"Why are you crying? You should be happy right now. Happy that when I leave, I will no longer be sick anymore. Please be happy, ai ren. I promise you in our next life we will love each other again. We will have a grand wedding, we will have the son that we had planned to have before I got sick. We will watch him grow up together. We'll see our grandchildren, our great-grandchildren. We will grow old and we will die." She pulled back from his hug as she kissed his cheek and rested her body against the wall again. Lay sat next to her, he took her right hand and intertwined his fingers with hers.

"I'm going to take a short nap, okay?" She whispered as she rested her head on his shoulder. Meili brought the blanket up to her shoulders as she got comfortable. 

"Sleep well my gongzhu. Don't cry anymore and sleep," Lay told her as he rested his head on top of hers as the two of them sat there on the bridge looking out at the street just four feet in front of them. "Don't worry and sleep, Meili. My love will protect you and never let go," He said. "Never will I let go of you."

As cars, buses and people passed by them, Lay sat there motionless, broken and tired. He sat there still holding on to Meili hoping for a miracle to happen any moment when she would wake up from her short nap. He waited for her to open her eyes, he waited for the moment when she would squeeze his hand tighter to reassure him she was fine. He waited until the sun had set and Meili's family had found them sitting on the bridge. He heard her family cry as they sat around the two of them. 

Would you let me follow you until death? Would you allow me to follow you? Would you allow me to hold you again, to kiss you once more? Would you allow that? Baobie, will you let me love you one more time? Will you allow me to love you just this last time? I can't wait until the next life time. Baobei, I don't know how I'll manage to live without you. I don't even think I can. Baobei, your mama said she misses you already, your baba says he doesn't know what he will do now. Your gege said he never got to say his final goodbye to you. Did you really have to leave like that? You will probably hate me because of this, but I will not live without you. I will not. 

Yixing kissed her left temple. He closed his eyes and inhaled her scent that still lingered on her clothing; he looked at her family and smiled bitterly to himself. I'm sorry, mama, baba. I'm sorry Yulan. I'm so sorry I couldn't protect her. He looked at the people that he called family.

He smiled a bitter sweet smile. He looked at his wrist and saw that it was still bleeding. Baobei, please forgive your Ai ren. You knew he'd follow you to death. Nothing would keep him away from seeing you. Slowly his eyes started to close as he too fell into the deep slumber that Meili had fell into. He smiled as he saw Meili standing as if she were waiting for him.

"You came here," She whispered. She looked perfect, she had color on her face, her cheeks were chubby once again. The way she looked when she was n high school, except now a little more mature. Meili had her light brown hair down to her waist. She was wearing a light pink dress and was standing in a field of beautiful spring flowers.

"Of course I'd come here. I came here for you, baobei."

In that place where the two of them were, they called it paradise where only the two of them knew of, and where they could love for eternity with no one to bother them. This is what they called heaven.