No More

Baby don't cry

Lay sat down on a chair besides the hospital bed. His eyes had dark circles around them, as he looked at the person lying on the bed. His hands on top of hers as the monitors beeped with each breath she takes. Her I.V bag half way done as he takes a look every so often making sure her fluid isn’t too low/ He glanced over to the wall in front of her bed with a clock on it, two fifty five o’clock. Lay let out a small sigh as he looked back at her sleeping figure on the bed, his eyes soft and gentle as he ran his fingers over her knuckles.

Lay, laid his head beside her right hand still holding her hands in his; He closed his eyes as he whispered to her,

 “Meili… Get better please, I know you can. You’re my fighter, come one Meili I need you to get better again. Meili I want you to be happy again.” He whispered to her, even if he knew that she couldn’t hear him in her sleep.

After laying there for a few minutes, Lay had fallen asleep beside her, Meili had woken up from her slumber shortly after Lay fell asleep. A small smile appeared on her face as she saw Lay finally resting. 

"Yixing," she whispered, "Thank you." She said to a resting Lay beside her. Meili gently moved in the hospital bed trying to get into a more comfortable postion on the bed trying to be as cautious as she could be to not wake up Lay. She looked at the clock, the time read three fifteen. She then looked towards her right at her I.V bag, which was half way done. She heaved a small sigh thinking she had to wake Lay up again. Maybe just five more minutes she thought to herself. 

Meili looked at his tired face, her heart twisted in guilt as she examined his face, "It's my fault that you're tired, huh?" She said to him as her eyebrows pinched together in pain, "Ahhh." She groaned in pain as she removed her hand from Lay's to clutch onto her head. 

Lay woke up once he felt Meili's hand slip away from his. He sat up from the sound of her in pain, "Meili are you okay?! Hold on! I'll call the nurse." He told her as he reached for the red nurses button. Lay took in a deep breath as he looked at Meili. 

Lay’s heart clutched in pain as he saw her being helpless to her own pain, “Hold on baobei. They’re coming alright? C’mon let’s count to ten.” He told her as he gently took her hands, and held onto them with his own. He started to count in a slow and steady pace, “Yi, er, san, si, wu, liu, qi, ba, jio, shi.” Meili and he started to count slowly, taking deep breaths before going to the next number. The moment they reached ten the hospital room doors opened, the nurses and the doctor rushing into her room.

Lay stood up from his chair and went outside to give them some room to move around in her room. He let out a shaky breath as he sunk down to the floor; he stared lifelessly at the wall in front of him. His hands raked through his messy hair. Lay drew both of his legs close to his chest, after ten minutes Meili’s doctor came out. I feel so pathetic right now Meili. I can’t even help you with anything. You’re hurting because of this, this virus inside of you. I couldn’t even protect you from it, how am I supposed to help ease the pain that’s in you right now? He asked himself as he stared at the blank wall.

Dr. Chen sat down beside Lay, “How are you Yixing?” Dr. Chen asked him.

“I’m… Alright you could say, it’s just getting harder to help her than before. It’s hard to leave her for a little while.” Lay answered truthfully to him, his voice decreasing in volume as he spoke.

Dr. Chen waited for a moment before he spoke to Lay, “I – we can’t do anything more for Meili now. Her cancer has spread to fast that even surgery can help her. I’m sorry Yixing, but it’s almost time.” He told Lay as he tried his best to explain to him. Dr. Chen gave Lay some papers, “Fill these out and give them to Meili’s nurse, alright? There for her to leave, we’ll give you her medications and an oxygen tank. It’s sort of like a gift from us to her and you.” He told Lay as he got up from the floor.

Lay tilted his head up to see Dr. Chen looking at him with a small sad smile, “I’ll have this done as soon as possible. But… I would like to come and meet with you before we both go, is that alright?” Lay asked him.

“Of course you can come and talk to me, my office doors are always opened for the both of you.” Dr. Chen told Lay as he helped him stand on his feet, “They’ll be done any minute now.” He said to Lay before he left to go.