Sign to Me

I'd Sing For You

 

A few weeks passed and Kyungsoo was giving Jongin occasional signing lessons, when the younger boy felt like it, and had enough strength to walk of course.


It frustrated the young man at times, but Kyungsoo found it very sweet he was trying.

"Here try this." Kyungsoo would write on some scrap paper he had grown used to keeping on his kitchen table for times like this. He would then proceed to lead the young man through a signing pattern.

"So what does that mean...?"

Kyungsoo grinned widely as he presented his response, "It's, 'Have a good day'."

With a proud and determined expression, Jongin signed it back to Kyungsoo, who laughed in return.

"What? What's so funny? Did I mis-sign it?"

"No, it was perfect." Kyungsoo waved it off, telling Jongin not to worry about it. He followed it up by signing a full few sentences.

"Now that's hardly fair." he shot a playful glare at Kyungsoo. "What did you just sign?"

Kyungsoo simply shrugged and smirked at him, not giving him a response on paper.

"I know you said something about me because you signed 'you'. Don't think I can't understand what you sign a little bit."
Kyungsoo purposefully ignored Jongin's statement, looking down to hide the blush he thought was creeping onto his cheeks, and printing "You're getting better at recognising signs!"

"Not enough, clearly." the younger boy pouted at his hyung and Kyungsoo laughed soundlessly before leaning forward and ruffling his hair.
"I'll tell you one day."

Jongin opened his mouth to argue again, but Kyungsoo shoved paper in his face, waving it a little.

"Oh, I don't want to do anymore!" Jongin forced the paper down with a hand and gave Kyungsoo a pathetic puppy dog look.

Though Kyungsoo acted annoyed, he didn't push Jongin. He had learned these past few weeks that there was no use in trying to make him do anything. Jongin did as he pleased, and Jongin also thought it was funny how he could win over Kyungsoo so easily, so he very often used his antics to get what he wanted from the older boy.

 



After Jongin would leave from an afternoon of laughing and learning, Kyungsoo would lie back on the couch, cook himself a bit of dinner, listen to music, and think for the rest of the evening.

There was problem he had begun to address. Something he had put aside because he was in denial and was a little afraid to acknowledge it until now. In becoming closer to Jongin he now felt comfortable around him but without him felt a bit lonely.

What's wrong with being alone? Nothing. In fact, Kyungsoo liked being on his own, er, used to, that is. Without people around there was no need to sign, type, or write out what he wanted to say. He felt that the peacefulness around him gave him a reason to be quiet even if he had a voice.

But Jongin... Jongin is the best kind of company. Being a year younger, he's still quite talkative. Not that Kyungsoo minds, he likes when Jongin rants about silly things or gets upset over more serious things. It's an endearing quality Kyungsoo has come know more and more.


They click, he thought. There was a sense of understanding between them that he felt, but wasn't sure Jongin felt the same way yet... His mind jumped back to the day Jongin danced for him. Danced to his favourite song. It was an unexpected happening, but it made a happiness bubble up from within Kyungsoo because he had felt somehow Jongin had known that was his favourite song. Perhaps he was in love.



He sat and watched as snowflakes began to descend from the grey sky. A silent ballet of crystals that danced and moved only with the wind. Kyungsoo longed to put soft music to the serene sight. A swell of emotion came over him and he opened his mouth to sing but stopped. Reality hit him with a cold fist.

The feeling of deja vu encircled him and he remembered. He'd done this before. Maybe more than once, even, and it didn't take long for him to recall when he had first tried to use his non-existent voice. Back when he'd first lost the ability to speak and had to grow used to not being able to immediately reply to people's questions, calling out his name, or sing along with the radio.

The pain was rushing back all to quickly and he closed the shades in an instant, as if the sight were physically paining him. The room darkened as a result and Kyungsoo felt lost in the past.

There was a ring in the void, breaking through his mind and pulling him out of the tracks of his old Train of Thought before it had passed. As his mind cleared, the tune became more recognisable.

Before I start to cry
I wanted to have a cup of coffee.

But there's no one to call

It was almost a minute before it occurred to him that someone was trying to get a hold of him and he quickly glanced at his phone.

"hyung, are you there?" the text read.

"Of course!" he typed back, smiling at Jongin's perfect timing.

"i think i might've left something over at your place. mind if i come around and pick it up?"

"Well, what is it? I can find it and bring it over when I go shopping tomorrow morning."

Jongin's next answer came quickly. "oh there's no need! i'm already on my way."

Kyungsoo sighed and let out an airy chuckle. This was such a Jongin thing to do. It was a guaranteed way of getting his way, since Kyungsoo would never have the heart to tell him to stay at home.

"Well I hope you dressed warmly. Are you even okay to come?"

There was a delayed response time on Jongin's part, until

"my legs are fine"

Kyungsoo mentally winced at the text, imagining a miffed Jongin.

It wasn't more than fifteen minutes later that there was a steady knocking at the door. He opened it and Jongin sauntered in, naturally making himself at home while Kyungsoo ran to get paper.

"What exactly did you forget?" he wrote and tapped the paper to get Jongin's attention.

"Well...uh...something." was the confusing answer Jongin gave and it left Kyungsoo dumbfounded. He watched Jongin look around a little bit, and it was then that he noticed his movement was a lot more stiff than usual. It shone in the younger's eyes that he was trying to cover up discomfort, but Kyungsoo didn't dare mention it.

"Need any help?"

"Nuh-uh." Jongin eased his way to the little table in the kitchen, taking a seat and letting out a soft sigh. "I just need to sit and think of where I last had it."

Stepping closer, Kyungsoo took a seat across from Jongin, watching the younger boy carefully from the corner of his eye.

It takes a lot of self control to not look him dead on, because secretly Kyungsoo feels that if he made eye contact, Jongin would be able to read him like an open book.

And so they stay like that for a few minutes, which seems more like twenty to Kyungsoo, until Jongin finally stirs. He gently rubs his temples and then runs a hand through smooth dark brown hair.
"I need to confess something," he begins.

 

 


A/N: Wow this too so long to update!! I'm sorry everyone! D: I'm in my school musical and we had opening night last night. I have to go to call in a few minutes, but I want to thank you all again! I know you guys are silent readers, but i hope you're enjoying this~. ^^

Oh! Also, the song that was playing on Kyungsoo's phone is called "Hug Me" by 10cm which is a duo I ADORE. <3