Hot Chocolate

I'd Sing For You

~

It was a crisp autumn morning and Jongin was looking forward to a steaming hot cup of his favourite hot chocolate topped with fresh whipped cream. The wind blew uncomfortably through the streets and chilled Jongin's bones as he walked down the block with his manager. Chuseok was approaching and people were doing all sorts of shopping for the occasion, this also meant finding a parking spot was impossible. Jongin had almost fallen to the pavement when he got out of the car, but luckily his manager grabbed his arm before he had fell. They sat in silence on the bench for a while, waiting until Jongin was sure his legs would cooperate. Wind blew a small group of leaves past his feet and they danced across the concrete, some getting picked up and swirling into the air for a moment. They skirted away with the breeze and Jongin's eyes fell upon a slightly familiar face. It was the young man he saw when he was leaving his appointment the other day.

Rising unsteadily to his feet, Jongin pushed himself towards the boy a little ways ahead of him.

"Yah! Jongin-goon! Where are you going?" his manager was shocked by his sudden actions and went after him.

Jongin was stumbling, but jogging nonetheless and as soon as he was in reach of the shorter male, he reached out and clung on.

Naturally, Kyungsoo was startled, and nearly fell over, but Jongin made sure that didn't happen. Kyungsoo was even /more/ frightened when he realised who was hanging on to him.

"Don't run! I just want to ask, do you have a sister?" Jongin asked as he felt the other tense.

Kyungsoo slowly shook his head.

"Oh...so you have been writing letters to me?"

Big-eyes just stared at Jongin for a moment and Kyungsoo nodded. Jongin also could've sworn the other was beginning to blush, but that wasn't important right now.

"Jongin, let the poor boy go." Jongin's manager had caught up to him.

"No. Besides, I thought about what you said the other night. Even though you're wrong, he wasn't giving the letter to me for his sister, he just said actually wrote it himself." Jongin turned and glanced at the man he held captive. "Come with me."

Kyungsoo could feel Jongin leaning a little on him and knew his legs were probably not as strong as usual. Of course he didn't say a word to Jongin about it and instead encouraged Jongin to use him as a support.

Honestly, Kyungsoo was the worst kidnappee. After all he was willing following his captor to who knows where. What if he got publically embarrassed for messing with a well-known idol? What if he was going to get beat up? All these thoughts crossed his mind as he helped the younger boy down the street.

 

 

Oh.

A quaint coffee shop.

"Hyung-nim, please pick me up in an hour. I'll be fine here with him, just leave." Jongin's request was strong, but polite and his hyung nodded and left without a word.

Jongin led his human crutch to the counter. "Do want anything?"

Jongin's offer was very kind, but it was one Kyungsoo couldn't take. He shook his head and Jongin slowly nodded before turning to the cashier. "I'll have a medium hot chocolate, with extra whipped cream"

"That'll be 2.50 please."

Jongin reached for his wallet but paused when he realised he couldn't reach it because his arm was wrapped around Kyungsoo's. Glancing at the shorter young man, they both blushed and quickly pulled away from each other. Jongin hung his head and paid the cashier who he knew was most likely giving them a funny look. He whispered an apology to Kyungsoo.

They sat down together at a table after Jongin took his mug of hot cocoa. Taking a sip, he groaned in delight, savouring the taste of the whipped cream mixing with the rich chocolate.

"So I noticed you haven't said too much yet. ...Do I make you nervous?" his gaze lifted and he smirked at the other.
Kyungsoo gave him an odd look in return and reached into his pocket. It took a minute before he pulled out an old receipt and pen.

"My god, you actually have to write it out!" Jongin chuckled in disbelief. "Speak, boy! Aish! Do you have like laryngitis or something?"

The younger-looking boy blinked at him before scribbling on the receipt and shoving it towards Jongin.
"I'm mute."

Jongin felt like he just got hit by a car. He choked on some of the hot chocolate he was in the process of swallowing and immediately apologised.

"Y-you are? I am so sorry! Oh my god I've been so disrespectful." Jongin was genuinely mortified and he carried on for another minute or so before he noticed Kyungsoo waving the small slip of paper in front of him again.

"It's ok. You wouldn't have known. I'm Do Kyungsoo."

"Hyung or dongsaeng?" Jongin asked.

Kyungsoo held up an index finger and Jongin made a confused face, trying to understand. "One...? Wait.....oh! H-hyung? Kyungsoo hyung?"
The older boy nodded and smiled a little bit, glad that they were finally beginning to have some sort of a conversation.

"Nice to meet you." Jongin bowed his head politely and waited as Kyungsoo wrote something else down.

"I'm sorry for that letter. Did I upset you...?"

"N-no... I-...I don't know what was wrong with me that day. Besides, I was wrong about the fact you don't understand what I'm going through. I mean you lost your voice, so that probably a bit. It's fine, I'm sorry for getting upset so quickly without knowing."
Kyungsoo waved his hands in front of himself to show Jongin he didn't mind.

There was a silence between them for a minute, and after Jongin drank more of his cocoa, he spoke again. "Oh do you know sign language? That's probably a dumb question..."

Kyungsoo nodded anyways, beginning to sign. "It is a bit dumb" he smiled as his hands moved. "But I communicate fairly well with people who don't know it." Upon seeing the younger boy's confused face, Kyungsoo suddenly let out little huffs of air and it took Jongin a moment to realise he was laughing.

To be honest he was scared that Kyungsoo was choking at first but after his realisation, a little hint of sadness crept over him. It occurred to him, how long had he been without a voice? Had anyone even heard him laugh before? Jongin imagined him having a very nice laugh, a bit lower in pitch, but rhythmic as his previous noise-less laugh suggested.

Hands wee waving in front of his face and it was then Jongin realised he was spacing out. "Huh?" he exclaimed a bit in confusion and out of being startled.
And there it was again. A silent laugh that Jongin found intriguing. The way his face scrunched up a little as he chuckled was...well...to put it bluntly, cute.

 

 

So the hour passed with the most meaningless chatter and laughter, of course all the noise came from Jongin. He would admit, it was nice to just sit down and have a normal conversation with someone, especially someone as down-to-earth as he found Kyungsoo to be. There were receipts all over the table, each with a considerable amount of writing on the backside. Before they parted ways, Jongin made a bold move.

On a new receipt he wrote down his cell phone number. Jongin held it in his hand hesitantly before sliding it towards Kyungsoo. "Maybe if you want to uh...hang out again. Call or text me. I'll...probably be having a lot more free time on my hands now." He shrugged, looking down at the table for a moment.

After a moment he realised he was being shy because of another boy and he snapped out of it, feeling a bit ridiculous. Fortunately, Kyungsoo didn't seem to notice and Jongin found him smiling and nodding in agreement.

They shook hands and parted ways at last.

 

 

Kyungsoo felt a calm happiness bubbling up inside of him. Perhaps he was fan-boying over the fact his favourite idol just talked to him and gave him his number... Or maybe he was just happy to have finally interacted with someone other than his signing teacher. Either way, he had a very important decision to make. There were his thoughts as he walked back to his apartment that afternoon: should he or should he not contact Jongin again, and if so, when would be the best time...

 


A/N: HAPPY NEW YEARS~! <3 It's officially 2013 (at least here in the NE US) I'm sort of anticipating the New Year.... *sigh* I'll just keep on chugging along somehow. TT_TT

Thank you to all my lovely subscribers! I love each and every one of you~


(gif not mine)
 

You tell me what you think Kyungsoo should do! I have ideas, but who knows, maybe I'll like yours better! ^^
Was the chapter long enough? I hope so... I find I don't write very long chapters, but these last two have been long-ish, yes?