Chapter 8; Aware

Rightful Regret

Chapter 8; Aware


        "She was hurt. Even if she turned her back on you over and over, if you really loved her, you would've kept coming back for her. But you didn't. You replaced her."-Baekhyun
 



        "She loved you Kai. More than anyone. And you threw her away. Just like she was nothing. You didn't even look back." Baek scoffed, walking out before Jongin grabbed his shoulder.
        "I did look back. And she wasn't there. She didn't come back for me." Kai argued to save himself, in the end he would lose.
        "Let me ask you one thing. Why didn't you come back for her?" The older hyung shook his head, glancing at hospitalized Ana.
        "Because. I wanted to show her that she needed me. That she couldn't live without me.(Save my pride, he thought)" Kai swallowed.
        "Your right Kai. She can't live without you. Look at her now." The arguing two, looked at Ana, her chest barely moving up and down. Now quiet Sehun blinked back at them, sadly Ana's hands again. Trembling, Kai walked up to her, smoothing a piece of flyaway hair behind her ear. He leaned down, resting his forehead against hers.
        "I remember it clearly," Kai murmured against her skin, his words directed to no one in particular "one minute she was laughing, I blinked, and then she was crying. Next second? Altogether gone."
        "I'm sorry," Jongin whispered, and Ana's fingers ever so slightly twitched. She woke up with a jolt, knocking heads with Kai.
-
        Ana yawned, rubbing her head like the skull knock was a wake up call. She rubbed her eyes, and flittered them open, gasping at what she saw.
        "...KAI?!?!" Ana jumped, falling head first onto the freezing tile floor.
        "Noona! I'll get some ice!" Sehun ran out, as if the room wasn't already cold enough.
        "I'll go get the nurse," Baek said, quickly recovering his shocked expression.
        The setting became tense and uneasy, as Kai hesitated to help Ana up. He offered a hand that she didn't accept.
        "Can you get out of my room please?" Ana snickered, acting irritated from his presence.
        "I have to tell you something," Kai replied, tangling his fingers nervously into knots like the insides of his stomach.
        "..."
        "Well Jongin?" She squinted, trying to hold in the tears that were forming.
        "I...I-"
        "Ice Noona!" Sehun barged in, a plastic bag with crunched cubes melting in his hands. Kai shook his head and took a step back, right into Baekhyun.
        "Nurse," Baek nodded, the sound of medical clogs in the hallway.
        "We'll continue this later," Kai mumbled to Ana, walking out with his head drooped low.
-
        "So? Did you guys make up? Didn't look like it" Baek poked, taking a swig of his cola.
        "No. She doesn't love me. Why would we?" Kai sighed, weakly throwing a pebble over the rooftop's ledge.
        "God your stupid. Of course she loves you. Why do you think she's still around?"
        "She never told me she loved me, only 'I like you Oppa' " Kai scowled, making air quotes on "Oppa." They were the same age, unless you count two months apart a big difference.
        "Wait. Wait. How long have you guys known each other?"
        "Middle school."
        "And how long have you guys dated?"
        "A year and a half."
        "Yeah...Jongin. She doesn't love you," Baek teased, their quarrel earlier that day forgotten as fast as the sun was setting.
      "Right."
        "Kai," Baekhyun stared seriously, his smile gone too soon. He nodded at the stairs that led back into the hospital "go to her."
-
        Kai slammed the door open, making the crowd of staff jump. Nurses and a doctor surrounded the bed...why? Jongin cautiously stepped toward the pool of people, a cold draft chilling his neck. He collapsed, overwhelmed. Joining Ana's pool of blood on the floor.

And as if losing Ana mentally wasn't enough for Kai, physically sure was.




Oh yeah! Kai's himself again, well the Kai that loved Ana anyway. Satisfied? No? Just you wait!