Beauty

Bubble Tea

"Sica, what do you want today?" asked Yoona in her normal happy mood. Four weeks had passed with nothing regarding the bullies, plus she was in a relationship with Yuri, the one she treasured most, so life was perfect for her.

"Hmm... I'm not quite sure... What would you reccomend, Tiffany?" Even though quite some time had passed since Jessica's head injury, and even though she was completely fine now, Tiffany still insisted on staying by her side for as long as she was in the Cafe.

"That one!" she exclaimed, pointing to something on the drink menue.

Jessica sighed. "Again, Tiffany?"

"Yep!"

"Tiffany, you've made me get strawberry bubble tea every day for weeks now. I love it, believe me, but I want to try something different for once."

"But..."

"Why do you want me to get it so badly?"

Tiffany looked down and smiled. "Because it reminds me of the first day we met..." Jessica grinned at this. "But, if you really don't want bubble tea, then I think you should get strawberry macaroons! They're different, but they still have a strawberry taste, so it can still be like when we first met."

Yuri, holding Yoona's hand, gave Jessica a grin. "It seems you have quite the admirer!" Tiffany, in an attempt to hide her blush, jumped up and ran away.

Sunny sighed. "There she goes again. I'm really curious as to where she goes and what she does..."

"Yeah," Hyoyeon agreed. "Hey! I think she might go into the guest room!"

"What guest room?" questioned Jessica.

"There's an extra room in this Cafe. I wasn't sure what to do with it, so I just put a bed in it, and now we let the employees' visiting relatives stay there," explained Taeyeon as she walked out of the kitchen.

"Hey, hey, hey! Wanna go check if she's in there?" stated an excited Seohyun.

"Sure, why not?" Taeyeon fished out her keys from her pocket and started towards the hallway.

"Wait!"

"What is it, Sica?"

"Um... well... I just don't think we should. You know, she needs her privacy and stuff. And, uh..."

Seohyun smiled. "You don't want to spoil the surprise?"

"Eh... yeah," Jessica confessed. Whatever it was that Tiffany did, it seemed special. She even told Jessica that she would be the first to know the secret, and Jessica still held onto that promise. "She'll tell us when she's ready."

"Yeah, I guess so," Sunny admitted. "Ya know, she never really did whatever it is much until you showed up. Before, she would just go for a little bit after work, and that would be it; she would go home right after. But when you came, she suddenly did it a lot more often. I think it probably has something to do with you."

Jessica frowned, deep in thought. What was it that this mysterious girl did? What did it have to do with her?

 

"Hey, guys," Sooyoung called from the kitchen, "make sure the customers know it's almost closing time!"

"'Kay!" Yoona called. She gave Yuri's hand a warm squeeze before letting go and standing up to convey the message.

"You two," sighed Seohyun, "are the most lovey-dovey couple this world has ever seen!" She bit her lip and bowed her head before adding: "but it's cute."

"Aish, I need Tiffany to help close up! Where is she now?" Taeyeon asked angrily.

"Why don't you make her work more, Taeyeon? She's usually rather talking with customers or doing whatever it is she does when she dissappears. She doesn't help out a lot." Although Jessica was more than grateful Tiffany worked at the Cafe, it didn't make much sense that the girl got paid for doing little to no work.

"Well," Taeyeon explained, "she's here more for social purposes than anything else. You've noticed it too, haven't you? Whenever she walks into the room, everyone gets happier. When she talks to customers, they smile and laugh like she made their day, which is the truth. Her presence is a special one. The customers are here mostly because of our happy atmosphere. Other cafes have good food. Only this one has Tiffany. Make sense?"

Jessica gave a content smile. "Yeah. Yeah, it does."

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom. You good without me, Unnie, or should I wait until Fany-ah comes back?" asked Hyoyeon.

"Go ahead. In fact, there really isn't much left to do, so all of you can just go home if you'd like. You worked hard today, you deserve it!"

"Really?" Yuri exclaimed. "Thanks Unnie, I was hoping to get my apartment cleaned before Oppa comes to visit tomorrow morning! Of course, he's so messy, he'll just ruin it again... But he's my brother, so I love him anyway!"

"Oh, is he the same brother you talked about before? The one who went away for college a few years ago?"

"Wow, you have a good memory, Sica! And yes, he's the same Oppa. His name is Hyukjae. He's going to bring his boyfriend, Donghae, too!"

"We're finally going to meet him?!" Sunny all but shouted.

"It's about time," Seohyun stated. "All we've heard from Hyuk-Oppa is how sweet, caring, amazing, and handsome this Donghae-Oppa is."

Suddenly, Tiffany bolted into the room. "We're going to meet Hyukkie-Oppa's boyfriend?!!"

"Woah, where did you come from?" Jessica was stunned at how fast Tiffany could run.

"I can't wait! He seems like a great guy. I bet he's good to Hyukkie-Oppa..."

"He'd better be, or HIYA--" Sooyoung lifted up one of her long legs, giving a high kick as she walked out of the kitchen "--he'll regret ever being born!"

"Sooyoungie, don't be more protective over Yuri-ah's Oppa than Yuri-ah is!" Sunny giggled.

"Okay, okay, okay, get a move on," Taeyeon instructed, "or I'll have to close up late!"

"Alright! Bye, Unnie," Yoona said, holding Yuri's hand as they walked home together.

"See ya," Sooyoung called with a two- salute.

"Until tomorrow, my dears~" Seohyun gushed with sarcasm.

"Yep. Have a good night, everyone. Hey, you three," Taeyeon directed at Jessica, Tiffany, and Sunny, "time to go! Find Hyoyeon and let's get out, okay?"

"I'll find her," Jessica offered, walking towards the hallway for the bathrooms. She found Hyoyeon standing over the sink, staring at her reflection in the mirror as if it was her mortal enemy.

"You know," Jessica said at last, "you're really pretty. You shouldn't look at yourself with such an angry face."

"O-oh, you scared me, Sica! And, well, thanks I guess... But really, what I'm wondering is if this girl right here is pretty..." She took out her wallet, pulling out a picture of a young girl. She, like Hyoyeon, had a very unique face, but this girl's face had sharper features, not something you see much in Korea. Even so, she was absolutely gorgeous.

"She's beautiful! She has your smile, too. Is she your younger sister?"

"No, she's not..."

"Well, you must be related, right?"

"Um... Kind of..."

"'Kind of'?"

"Well, actually, Sica... This girl is me."

Jessica must have looked skeptical, for Hyoyeon gave a sad smile. "What I mean, Sica, is... this was me... before I got plastic surgery."

"Oh... um... I see..." Jessica wasn't sure how to respond. It seemed that plastic surgery was a touchy subject for most people, and she really didn't want to offend Hyoyeon.

"Are you surprised?"

"A little bit, yes..."

"I don't blame you. I still can't believe I ever did it. I had just been made fun of for my face so much, I just... couldn't stand it anymore. I wanted the teasing to stop. I felt so ugly; they, society, made me feel so ugly." She paused. "Have you ever felt ugly?"

Jessica gave sincere though to her question before giving her reply. "I think every girl feels ugly at some point. It's not really something you can avoid. In fact, what makes a girl a woman is when she overcomes that feeling and accepts herself as she is."

Hyoyeon went back to looking at the one in the mirror. "Sica... You seem so comfortable with yourself. I thought I would feel that way after surgery, but... I just don't know anymore!" She held her head in her hands, beginning to cry.

Jessica walked up to the shaking figure, lightly putting a hand on her back. She may have gotten more comfortable with the girls at the Cafe, but she was still shy and not good with people in general. "Uh, I'm not very good at comforting, but... I hate seeing you cry. Hyoyeon, getting plastic surgery doesn't make you a bad person. You wanted to change, so you did. You shouldn't have to make yourself worry over it. You look beautiful now, too, if it makes you feel better."

She sniffled. "R-really?"

"Of course. And you know what? You're even more beautiful on the inside than any girl could ever hope to be on the outside."

Hyoyeon finally turned away from the mirror, looking into Jessica's eyes instead. "Thank you!" Suddenly, she wrapped her arms around the other's neck, giving her a hug. "Now come on, let's go! Unnie will be mad at us if we take too long!"

The two girls walked out of the bathroom together, greeted by an angry group of girls.

"What took you so long? It's so late!"

"Sorry, we had a little problem to sort out, but it's all okay now," Hyoyeon said with a smile.

"Well, I'm glad it's all okay. Now let's go!"

"Yes, Unnie!"

The girls walked out together, talking and laughing, teasing and joking, and being themselves. Tiffany grabbed onto Jessica's sleeve. "You know," she whispered, nodding towards Hyoyeon, "I haven't seen her this happy in a while. You always make people find their happy endings, huh?" She then rested her head on Jessica's shoulder.

"A-again, Tiffany?"

"Mm-hm!"

Everything seemed right with the world. Hyoyeon was happy, Sunny was messing with Taeyeon, and Tiffany was right by Jessica's side. Jessica snuggled up to Tiffany a little more. And, somehow, that made all of her worries dissappear.