Laugh

Bubble Tea

"Sica... Hey, Sica?"

"Hm?" Jessica lifted her head, which had been resting on her two arms.

"Why are you spacing out? You should be helping us study for our math test tomorrow!" Sunny exclaimed. She had the usual irritated-yet-sickeningly-cute tone of voice she sported when she grew impatient, but it was obvious from the nervous furrow of her brows that she was secretly worried for her friend. Seohyun and Yuri wore the same looks.

Jessica sighed and shook her head of her previous thoughts. She really didn't want to bring them up right about now. After taking a quick look at the problem, the girl had already run through the steps in her head. "You know how to do this, right?"

"Uh... kind of?" offered a hesitant Yuri.

"Okay, listen closely," Jessica told the three. "Start with the given. Segment AC is congruent to segment AD. Segment AB is perpendicular to segment CD. Now what can we conclude using a theorem, postulate, or property?"

"Uh... That... the triangles are congruent?" asked Seohyun.

Another head shake was the only thing Jessica could offer them. "Okay, I'll help. Angle ABC and angle ABD are right angles by..." Nobody was able to finish her sentance. With one last sigh, Jessica walked them through the whole proof until the triangle ACB was congruent to triangle ADB by the Hypotenuse-Leg Theorem.

"I don't get it," Sunny groaned. "And what's the Segment Addition Postulate? And how's it different from the Addition Property? Geometry is so stupid!"

"Why don't we take a break?" Seohyun concluded. She was obviously worried for Jessica's mental well-being after an hour of Sunny's complaining. "Actually, why don't we just stop? I don't think there's any way Sunny's gonna pass this test anyways."

"Yeah, at least Seo and I understand now. Thanks, Sica!"

"You're welcome," she replied out of habit. Her thoughts had already drifted toward what they were originally on: Tiffany. Specifically, what to say to her today. It was just about time for Sooyoung to drive her to Tiffany's apartment.

"Hey," the tall girl grunted as if on cue. "Let's go." Jessica nodded and waved goodbye to all of the Cafe employees. After stepping into Sooyoung's car, she turned to the cold beauty.

"Hey, Sooyoung..."

"Hm?"

"Thank you for driving me. It's really nice of you."

Sooyoung appeared shocked for a second, as if nobody had ever called her nice before. Maybe it was true. "W-well, I had no choice. All of the rain from yesterday froze on the sidewalks. Only the roads have been salted. Don't go thinking I actually have a heart or anything," she mused, offering the closest thing to a joke that she could manage.

"I don't think that." Sooyoung's eyes darkened. "I know it." That earned Jessica an arched eyebrow. "If you really didn't have a heart, you would let me walk on the icy sidewalks. You wouldn't care if Tiffany came back or not. You wouldn't get protective over us and our families. You wouldn't even be at the Cafe; you would be off doing something smart that earns you a bunch of money. So, yeah. I know you have a heart. And a really great one at that."

To Jessica's surprise, her companion smiled. Her heart stopped beating for a second when Sooyoung began to laugh. "You know, Sica, you're awesome. So shy and socially awkward, but always sure of what to say and when to say it. You're awesome."

"Uh... thanks?"

"Hey... I think it's about time I tell you why I'm terrible with people. Ya see... my parents were alcoholics. I was born on accident, and they didn't care about me at all, so I didn't get any love as a kid. That caused me to develop RAD: Radical Attachment Disorder. The jist of it is that I can't trust people, and it's hard for me to love anyone."

Sooyoung took a breath.

"In high school, I fell in love with a boy. He loved me back. I thought, 'Sweet, I've proved them wrong!' But in reality... I still let my RAD take control of me. I wasn't able to trust him, I wouldn't let him touch me... Eventually he got sick of it, and dumped me. But you know what? I was able to truly love and trust once I moved out three years ago, when I turned eighteen. I crossed paths with Taeyeon-Unnie again, who had been a year ahead of me in school. She offered me a job, and I took it. And I fell in love. With her, with the other employees, with the customers, hell, I fell in love with the Cafe itself!"

Jessica giggled. "So you got over your RAD?"

"Well... mostly. I'm still terrible with social skills. And when I thought Tiffany was never gonna come back... I dunno, I just felt the symptoms again. But you're able to pull me away from that. You're an awesome friend."

"Thanks, Sooyoung. Hey, you know what surprised me most out of that?"

"What?"

"The fact that one of our friends is actually straight."

Sooyoung burst into uncontrollable laughter, Jessica joining. By the time they subsided to light giggles, they were already at Tiffany's place.

"Thanks again," Jessica beamed as she got out.

"Same to you, Sica! Tell her we said hi, okay?"

"Will do." She closed the car door and walked up to Tiffany's, knocking on it.

"Hey, Sica..." Tiffany began hesitantly.

"Hey."

"Come on in."

"Uh-huh." She slowly stepped inside. Tiffany's place was always warm and comforting, melting away some of her tension. "The girls said hi, by the way."

"Tell them I said hi too. Um, I... I have something for us. For you."

Jessica tilted her head to the side, wondering what this strange girl could be talking about. Said weird girl picked up one of the Cafe's takeout bags, pulling out two drinks. Jessica gave a slight smile. "Strawberry Fields bubble teas."

"Yeah. You don't have to drink it if you don't wanna..."

"I do, actually. These things are strangely addicting."

Tiffany laughed. It was a tiny laugh, but it was a nice laugh. A pretty one. It released Jessica of every last bit of tension; reminded her of why she had fallen for this clumsy, awkward, amazing girl.

"Hey, Tiffany," she said as she sipped on her drink.

"Yes?"

"I know what my one thing to tell you today is."

"Oh really?"

"Yep. It's that your laugh is intoxicating."

Tiffany appeared a bit confused, but smiled anyways. "Um... thanks?"

"It's true. I was so scared of you this past week. It didn't feel right, you know? Why would I be scared of the person I'm in love with? But then I realized that it wasn't you I was scared of. It was the prospect that you might not ever laugh in front of me ever again. Now that you have, well... I'm okay. I think I'm finally all okay again."

Tiffany smiled, eyes shining with tears. "That's all I wanted to hear. I'm sorry I caused you to be scared. I should have thought about your feelings more. Forgive me?"

Jessica gave a fervent nod. "Forgiven. You know what else is intoxicating?"

"What?"

"Your lips." Jessica suddenly, out of the blue, surprised them both by closing the gap between their faces. Tiffany seemed shocked at first, but slowly closed her eyes and enjoyed the soft, delicate kiss. They didn't push it any further than that. It seemed perfect as is. After a second, they pulled away a few centimeters and gazed at each other's eyes.

Jessica could feel her cheeks and ears heat up after realizing what she had done.

Which was probably why Tiffany let out another one of her intoxicating laughs.

 

Yaaaay, I finally update~~ Did you miss me?// *slapped* Okay, maybe not... Sorry I haven't been updating much lately!! I've been focusing on school and my art and my music and a few other fanfics. Why did I decide I could handle all these fics at once? Idk. Anyways, it actually happened!! JeTi officially made up!! And not only that, but they KISSED~ You fangirls and fanboys out there happy now? Good ^.^ We also know why Sooyoung is the way she is. I thought for a while about what I wanted to do with her character, and I thought incorperating RAD would be a nice touch.

Tell me what you think below <3 Love you guys!!