Love

Bubble Tea

Yuri flashed Jessica a look that said "I'm scared." Jessica gave her a reassuring smile in return. Everything was ready. The plan was about to be set into motion. In just a few moments, something special would happen.

Jessica went back to her hiding place in the kitchen, and Yuri took a breath, putting on a brave face.

Then, the door began to open.

 

~Two weeks earlier~

 

Jessica sat at her normal spot in the Cafe, eyes blank as everyone around her went about their daily lives. Hyoyeon and Yoona serving customers; Sunny, Yuri, and Seohyun eating their pastries as they chatted; Taeyeon at the cash register counting change; Sooyoung yelling at someone as Taeyeon told her to shut up. And, of course, Tiffany hopped in and out, talking and laughing with customers for a brief time, only to dissappear again.

Normally, Jessica would be watching Tiffany intently, trying to find out where it is that she always goes. Today, though, she was too busy recalling Yuri's words: "I want to confess to Yoona, but I'm so nervous! I really need help with this. Would you help me?" Jessica had been at a loss for words, but agreed to help her anyway. The problem now was the fact that she had no clue how to help, or what Yuri wanted her to do.

"Yah!"

Jessica snapped back to focus, realizing that Tiffany was standing above her with a sweet smile that made Jessica's heart beat at least twice as fast.

"O-Oh, um, yes? What is it?"

Tiffany gave a pout. "You're making me feel lonely."

"How?"

"You usually watch me all the time, but today, you're suddenly not interested! Did I become boring?"

Poor Jessica didn't how to respond, for she didn't know Tiffany saw how she watched her. "Well, I mean, uh, no, you're not boring, I-I just... I was thinking..."

"About what?"

"...About... about where you always run off to! I never know where you are, nobody does. I was just curious, is all..."

"You really want to know?"

"Um... yes?"

"Well, okay..." Tiffany said with a giggle, leaning down to Jessica's ear. She opened as if about to whisper something to her, but quickly closed her lips and smashed them against Jessica's cheek.

"Wh-Whu?" Jessica stuttered, face bright red.

Tiffany laughed and stood back up, beginning to skip away happily. "It's a secret, silly!"

"B-but you looked like you were about to tell me!"

"It's a secret, I said! But don't worry, as soon as I'm ready to reveal it, you'll be the first to hear, 'kay?" With that last statement, the mysterious girl skipped away, vanishing once again.

Jessica looked back to her three friends at the table, all of whom looked quite smug.

"What is it?"

They gave each other knowing looks, until finally Sunny said: "Well, it's just one of those things a Sunny-Bunny knows!"

"What about Yuri and Seohyun? They aren't Sunny-Bunnies, yet they get to know!"

"It's because they're Yul-Bunny and Seo-Bunny~" This earned an eye-roll from Jessica.

"Hey, have you seen Yoona anywhere?" Hyoyeon asked them as she cleared the table next to them.

"No," Seohyun replied. "Wasn't she here just a second ago?"

"Yeah, but not anymore. Weird. I can't find her. She's supposed to be helping me." As Hyoyeon walked away, Jessica and the others shared confused looks.

"What should we do?" Yuri asked. "She's not one to skip work, so I think we should look for her and make sure she's okay." Everyone agreed and stood up, walking out of the Cafe.

They soon heard screaming from behind the building, Yuri running to the sound immediately. "Yuri-ah! Wait!" Sunny called, and soon everyone was following after her.

By the time the three girls caught up to Yuri, it was already too late. She was in the middle of the circle of bullies surrounding Yonna, standing in front of her.

"Yuri-ah!" Yoona wailed. "Run!"

"No! I won't leave you!"

"Get out of my way," threatened the leader of the harrasers, "or you'll get hurt."

"What's wrong with you?!" Sunny screached at him. "Yoona didn't do anything to you!" She had nearly slapped him, but Jessica and Seohyun held her back, knowing that she would only get herself injured, considering she was barely an inch or two over five foot.

Yuri still was refusing to budge. The boy eventually grew too impatient with her and gave her a quite forceful push, sending her to the ground. By instinct, she put her right hand in front of her, trying to catch her fall; but what was meant as an act of protection actually backfired, and Yuri was holding her wrist in agony.

"Yuri-ah!" Yoona dropped to her side at once. The offenders all had a look of shock and guilt on their faces, stepping back. Sunny couldn't take it anymore and launched herself towards the boy, clawing at his face and yelling curse words.

"G-get off of me! I didn't mean to, I just wanted to scare her off!"

Seohyun pulled out her cell phone. "Get out in three seconds, or I give my friend Sooyoung a call, and I won't hold her back. Oh? By the looks on your faces, I see that you know her! Well then... one... two..."

They ran away as fast as their feet could carry them, a few apologetic girls calling "sorry!"

Jessica was still standing in the same spot throughout this, eyes wide and unfocused. Yuri, assuring everyone that she was fine, turned her head just in time to watch Jessica faint and drop to the ground.

 

Jessica woke up in bed, head throbbing. She didn't want to, but convinced herself to look at the clock to see what time it was. What confused her was the fact that when she reached for it, her hand didn't find a clock, but a vase of flowers instead.

"Wait... what?" It was then that she realized this room wasn't her own.

The door opened and Taeyeon appeared, bringing in a tray with a bowl of soup on it. "Rise and shine~" she sang out. "Oh, you're awake! It's about time! Does your head hurt? You did hit it pretty hard. Here, take a pain killer. And I have some soup I made for you, too. Do you like soup?"

Jessica just stared blankely at her.

"What?"

"Uh... where am I?"

"Oh, right, sorry! I forgot! You're in my room. I brought you here after the whole incident with Yuri and Yoona. You fainted, and nobody knew where you lived-- not even Sunny, which surprised me-- so I carried you here, since my place is just the second floor of the Cafe."

The memories flooded back to Jessica. "Yuri!" she said, attempting (and failing) to stand, quickly sitting back down and holding her head.

"Easy, easy! You'll just hurt yourself like that! And don't worry about Yuri, I got her to the doctor and he said it was only a sprain. She'll have a cast for a few weeks, but it's no big deal, really. She'll be okay."

"And what about Yoona?"

"Oh, she's good. She hasn't been visited by them since that day. Though one girl did stop by the Cafe and apologized for everything. She even asked to see both Yoona and Yuri themselves and gave them the lowest bow I've ever seen! It was sweet of her."

"Woah, wait a second... how long have I been asleep?"

"Hm? Well, it's about... let's see, one, two, three..... Five days."

"What?!"

"It's okay, Seohyun got everyone's school work. You know, with both you and Yuri out of school, she and Sunny won't even go. They stay here with Yuri downstairs. Well, at least Seohyun does. Sunny stayes up here and watches you. I'm not sure why. Tiffany does it too.They chat while they watch you, so they've become quite good friends actually," she chuckled.

"R-really?" Jessica wasn't surprised that Sunny watched her, considering whenever they had sleepovers as children, she would wake up to find Sunny's big eyes staring down at her. For some reason, Sunny loved watching her sleep, so Jessica was used to it. It was the fact that Tiffany watched her too that made her blush and stutter.

"Yup. Tiffany even stayes up here more than wherever she usually goes. She'll only go every few hours, and only for about five minutes at a time. She must have been pretty worried about you."

"I see..."

The door opened by just a crack, as if a silent begging for permission to enter.

"Come in, Tiffany!" Taeyeon called.

Tiffany poked her head through the doorway, gasping when she saw Jessica, promptly running up to the bed to hug her.

"U-uh, hello?"

"You're awake!" exclaimed the girl happily, with more relief in her voice than surprise. She got up and sat on the edge of the bed, and soon Sunny came in and did the same. While Tiffany just kept quiet and watched Jessica with a sparkle in her eyes, Sunny decided to talk her ear off.

"Ohmigod, you will not believe everything that's happened! You missed sooo much! Chemistry is really hard right now, and since we didn't get to hear the teacher's lectures, we have to teach ourselves through the book! Ugh, I don't understand any of it! You've always been really smart, right? Can you help me with it? If you don't, I'll fail, 'cause nobody else wants to help! They just say 'You can do it on your own.' But I can't, Sica!"

Taeyeon clamped a hand over Sunny's mouth. "Alright, alright, enough! She doesn't want to hear about that stuff right now. You can stay here, but be quiet and let her rest."

"She's been resting for five days, Unnie~"

"Just do as your manager tells you!"

Jessica giggled. It was so comforting to hear the normal chaos of her friends. To think that she missed five days of it was almost too much to bear, as was the fact that Tiffany had been so worried about her.

 

A week had passed since the day she woke up, and Jessica was still at a loss when it came to helping Yuri. She was given time to think while everyone was still recovering, but since everybody was back in school and life was back to normal, she had to come up with something fast.

She was walking along the streets of town one day, shopping, when she saw a display of candles in a shop window. There was something admirably beautiful about it that made Jessica stop to stare at it, smiling. "How pretty..."

Then, it hit her.

She whipped out her phone and called Yuri. "Yuri! Yuri, I have it! I know how you can confess to Yoona!"

 

~

 

The dark Cafe was illuminated by lit candles of all shaped and sized, scattered around on the tables and counters. One large ring of candles, shaped like a heart, was placed in the center of the floor, with Yuri standing in the middle of it with a bouquet of pink roses, Yoona's favorite.

As the door opened, Yoona was heard calling, "Hello? Sica? Why on earth did you call me here at midnight?! I--" Then, she saw Yuri, leaning on one knee and holding out the flowers, quite awkwardly because of the cast. Yoona gasped and covered with both hands.

"Yoona, I... I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to say right now... something romantic, right? Well, I don't know much about romance, so I guess I'll just come right out with it-- I love you!"

Yoona burst into tears, slowly walking up to the blushing figure. She pulled her out of the ring of candles and wrapped her arms around her waist tightly. Yuri did the same. They stayed there for what seemed like ages, crying and hugging, which almost made Jessica tear up as well.

"Aww, isn't it sweet?" Jessica flinched and turned to look at the one who whispered into her ear.

"T-Tiffany? What are you doing here?"

"Same as you. Watching them."

"O-okay, but... how did you get here?"

"I followed you," Tiffany said quietly, as if it were the most simple thing in the world.

"Oh..." Jessica gave a grin. Tiffany was so sweet and simple, like a child. As if to confirm the theory, said child rested her head on Jessica's shoulder, and soon Jessica rested her head on that of the other girl. Together they stayed, watching their friends kiss for the first time.