Signs From Above

Signs From Above

  Chapter 9

Key’s POV .

 

Kibum was 8 yrs old and playing alone at the playground, swinging on a swing, when a cute boy sat on the swing next to him. “Hi, I’m Jinki” the boy smiled at him. His toothy grin made Kibum return the smile.

“Hi, I’m Kibum, you look like a bunny.” He pushed his feet out and in, swinging.

“Do not.” The bunny like boy knotted his brows and pouted. Not swinging yet.

“Do too.” Kibum kept smiling and kicked out his feet again.

“Do not!” He pulled Kibum’s swing chain and made him stop.

“Do too!” Kibum smirked. He thought this Jinki kid was amusing.

“Oh yeah? Well you look like a fox.” He kicked out his feet and started swinging.

“Do not.”

“Do too.” Jinki smirked back.  Jinki wiggled his nose and hopped off the swing, Kibum laughed and played along.

The Fox chased the Bunny around the playground.  They became best friends that day.

A few months later, Kibum was playing in the sandbox and he was watching Jinki trying to catch a cricket to put it in a glass jar.  Jinki was on the other side of the play ground as Kibum stared at him from the sandbox. He always wondered why other people didn’t see things like he did. He had once asked Jinki if he saw people with a glowing ring around them. Jinki didn’t know what he was talking about. Key eventually understood what the colorful light around people was. He knew he was the only one that could see it. Key could tell if someone had a bad soul or a good one. Jinki’s glow was very pretty; it was white and had pretty silver strands in it. Kibum was watching the glowing boy finally catch that cricket. He noticed how it seemed to glow a bit brighter when Jinki was happy. Jinki’s shiny light pulsed when he caught the bug, “he must be happy with his accomplishment.” He thought to himself.  Jinki stuck him in the jar and pulled out some grass and stuck in it in the jar for the little bug.

“They are called auras.”A voice out of nowhere said.

“What?” Kibum looked around and he saw an angel sitting on the bottom of the seesaw next to the sandbox.

“You see me don’t you?”

“Um” Kibum looked around and saw Jinki leaping forward to catch another cricket and then he looked back at the angel. “Only I can see you right?”

“Yes.”

“Why?” He shrugged.

“I don’t know, normally no one sees their guardian angel.”

“So dark lights on people are bad people right?”

“Yes” The angel nodded.

“so Jinki is a good guy right?” He smiled and returned his gaze to Jinki playing.

“Yes”

“I can tell even if he didn’t have that aura thingy light….Why can’t I see  my light?”

“You can’t see your own. It’s how things work.”

“Am I a good person? When I grow up will I be a good man?”

“You are good.”

“How come I can see them, the light …the aura thingy?”

“I can’t answer that yet, when the time is right you’ll see why.”

2 years later… (ontaekey are now 10 yrs old)

Kibum would randomly talk to his angel over the years but not often. Sometimes he forgot he was around, but if he ever felt lonely or had questions he would talk to him. Or if the angel had to talk to him he’d show himself to Kibum.

Kibum had just moved to Seoul and was in his room, he had just finished unpacking his clothes into his drawers. He walked to his bed as he did so he glanced out the window.  He saw Taemin at the park in front of his house through his bedroom window. “Angel, are you here?” Kibum walked over and leaned on the windowsill.

“Always, Kibum.” The angel showed himself to Kibum.

“Why does that boy’s aura match Jinki’s? It kind of looks the same. It’s white and has bits of silver in it just like his but with slender purple slivers in it, when the sun shines just right you can see his purple bits.  Should I go talk to that boy?” He raised his brow.

“That is up to you, I only guide.”

“Did you guide me to this window?” he turned away from the window to look at his angel.

“Maybe” He smiled. “But going to him is up to you, I only guide.”

He smiled and turned towards the door to shout to his mother.  “Mom can I go outside and play?”

“ Yes dear.”

“Thank you mom! I’ll be across the street at the playground.” Kibum had put on his shoes and ran outside.

He watched the kid for a while, he was pretty. He was trying to climb a tree. But his foot slipped and he fell. Kibum ran closer and  caught him. “Are you ok?”

 “Where did you come from? Thank you for saving me. I would have broken my neck.” Taemin smiled looking up at the man that cradled him.

“Something told me to come to the park. I’m glad I did you would have fallen.”

“Thank you.”

Kibum sat him down on the grass. “Hi, my name is Kibum, I’m 10, you want to be friends?”

“Yes that would be nice, I don’t have many. I’m lee Taemin, I’m 10 too.” He smiled from ear to ear.

“I have 1 friend he lives in Daegu, see I just moved here. Would you like to play on the swings with me?”

“Yeah!”

Later that night Kibum was laying a wake in bed. “Angel you never answered my question. Why do Jinki’s and Taemin’s light match?”

“I think you know the answer.” The angel appeared and sat at the foot of Kibum’s bed.

Kibum thought for a moment. His mom’s matched his dad’s ….. “How? But Jinki lives far away?”

“You are too young for that answer. I will give you the answer when you are older.”

5 years later…(15 years old)

Kibum and Taemin were now 15 and had fallen in love and had been dating for a few months. Kibum had forgotten about Jinki’s heavenly light matching Taemin’s. 

Taemin was spending the night over Kibum’s house. Kibum was in a dream, 1st he saw himself and Taemin in a doctor’s office. Kibum heard them say “you have maybe 2 years to live at the longest” The dream skipped he saw himself sick and in a hospital bed, everyone was there, his angel, Taemin’s, even Jinki’s and the angel of death. He had never seen other people’s guardian angels or the angel of death but he somehow knew that’s who the others were. Taemin was asleep near the bed; you could tell he had been crying.

Kibum woke up from his dream, sweating and screaming.

Taemin shot up. “What’s wrong, Bummie?”

“N-n-nothing go back to sleep, I don’t want to wake mom and dad. It was nothing, just a stupid dream.” He pulled Taemin back down and let him rest his head on his chest. Taemin snuggled closer.

The next morning after Taemin had went home, Kibum was pacing back and forth in his room, biting his thumb nail with worry. He blurted out in a panic “I’m I going to die? Show yourself to me! Please?!? I need to know, was this dream real or not? Guide me and protect me, that is what angels are for, please, I can’t die, I love Taemin, I can’t leave him.” Kibum begged for answers, tears starting to build up, his heart was racing.

Finally the angel spoke as he appeared next to him. “Kibum, don’t cry. Dying is not a bad thing. You get to come home. Come home to heaven and you can live here happy forever.”

“But but?...” Memories of Jinki flooded his mind. “Oh no, is this why Taemin’s aura doesn’t match mine? That means he doesn’t love me? We were not meant to be?” He spoke frantically. The tears came gushing out like a broken damn.

“Kibum yours does match his.” The guardian angel said calmly with a smile, he wiped his tears away.

“Wait it does?” Kibum sniffled.  “How? It matches Jinki’s, I’m I dying?” He whined, his voice weak.

The angel pulled him into a tender embrace. “Kibum, I’m not allowed to tell you when you’re going to die.”

Kibum’s mouth fell; his eyes widened “The dream was real? I’m only 15! I didn’t look that old in that dream? Please tell me I’m an old man when I die please!”He pleaded, eyelashes soaked with tears.

“You have the answer in front of you already. I am only here to let you see it, but I can’t actually tell you. It’s up to you. What are you going to do with this information?”

“Just tell me!” Kibum begged with fresh tears replacing fallen ones.

“Angels can’t tell you, we only help you navigate through life.” He tried in vain to sooth the young distraught human.

 “I don’t want to die young.” He moaned, voice trembling along with his lip and chin as he sobbed.

The angel was very still for a moment. He smiled. “Kibum they just told me I could tell you since you already have the gift of seeing good in people. God said I can work with you.”

“What the hell does that mean?” He groaned.

The angel furrowed his brows. “Language Kibum.”

“Sorry. But I am angry.” Kibum’s voice was quiet and mono-tone. He closed his eyes.

“I know and that is normal." He paused. "You are going to get sick in 5 years when you are 20, you come to heaven 2 years later on the date you met Taemin, that is when you take your last breath. But you can never tell Taemin the date of your death.”

He shouted between loud sobs. “Well and what about Taemin? You let me love him!, You let me fall in love with him! And he fell in love with me! This isn’t fair! Why tell me to go to the window?”

“To save him from falling out of the tree and guide you to the love of your life. Your light does match Taemin’s, yours is white and light pinkish purple. But his heart was meant to beat for Jinki’s once yours stops. The moment he kisses Jinki his purple strands will disappear.” Kibum cried harder knowing his light was similar to his and he never knew, and that his purple would vanish forever. “But there is something else, Kibum”

“What?” He sat up and pulled out of the angles hug and hugged his pillow instead.

“Taemin will try to move on, but he will get stuck. But that is why Jinki’s light matches Taemin’s, it will be Jinki’s turn to save him….”

“I have to give Taemin to someone else? Hell no!” he turned over to face away from the man from heaven.

“Would you rather him die alone or die at the age of 80 with Jinki?”

He turned back onto his back again. “He lives until he is 80?” A faint smile graced his face momentarily.

“Yes. Either alone or with Jinki?”

“I don’t want him to be alone that is horrible.” He frowned and his eyes began to puddle again.

“Is Jinki a good man?” The angel guided him to his answer.

He whispered. “Yes” he swiped at his wet cheeks roughly, he felt like he had a lump in his throat.

“Then you answered your own question.”

“But..... What if Taemin never meets him? Jinki lives so far away.”

“His angel is protecting him and guided him towards Taemin that is his job.”

“Well he should’ve moved here instead of me!” He snapped at the angel and bawled, tears streaking his cheeks.

“No because you need him, he is your love of your life AND you are the key between them.” The angel lay next to Kibum and brushed his hair behind his ear.

“What?” he asked confusedly.

“We don’t normally help other angel’s humans but, Taemin might need help, so you might have to help.”

Kibum took a deep shaky breath. This was a lot to take in for a teenager, heck it would have been a lot to take in even as an adult. “I want to help Taemin, I love him. I want to save him from loneliness. He can’t die alone. He will be with me when I die right? So someone has to be there for him when it’s his time, so I think I would like Jinki to be there for him. Ok, you said I was the key?” He turned his head towards angel, momentarily feeling calmer so he could help his boyfriend.

“Yes, Taemin was suppose to know you, you and Taemin’s souls were planned for each other for your lifetime, But your life lessons end when your 22, Taemin’s life lessons end when he is 80 so Taemin’s heart is planned to beat for someone else when he is 24, but he might not see the signs his own guardian angel shows him and he might not realize that Jinki’s angel is guiding him towards Taemin.”

“Jinki. So if he sees Jinki he will fall in love with him?” His voice weak, eyes watery.

“So many people miss their only chance. Jinki has to make a choice, to move to Seoul for his job promotion or stay with his family. If he doesn’t move then he never meets Taemin, if he moves to Seoul and doesn’t choose to go into the café because he is not hungry then he misses his last chance to meet Taemin. But he is a free spirit and is easily guided. But Taemin on the other hand…"

“Yes go on!”  He nervously and anxiously urged him to continue.

“Taemin will have a hard time moving on, he is supposed to meet Jinki 2 years after you pass, on the date that you died, the date you 1st met him. But we don’t know if he will accept it. We can’t make Taemin move on, we can only help, it’s up to him.”

“How do I help him, I don’t want him to miss his chance. Even though it is killing me to know he has to go to someone and to someone I know.” The thought of a heart broken Taemin dying alone was more important at the moment then his own imminent death. He saved him from falling out of the tree once, he could save him again.

“You don’t approve of Jinki? God does. Even you have always known their souls match?”

Kibum sheepishly replied. “I – I didn’t want to see it. Yes I approve. I will do it.”  he paused. “Can you show me what mine looks like?” He said softly as he wiped wet lashes.

The angel smiled and stood up taking Kibum’s hands in his. Kibum feels warm and soon he sees the light surrounding himself. It was white just like Taemin’s and Jinki’s but he didn’t have the silver strands in his he only had the purple ones that Taemin had. He stared at his purple light strands.  “You said If and when Taemin falls in love with Jinki, when they have their first kiss, Taemin’s purple will disappear.” Kibum started crying harshly . “Will he forget me?”He sobbed loudly.

“No never. He will be free without guilt and will be healed.”

Kibum never took his eyes off of his aura, the purple. “It sounds like he is going to forget me. I can’t take this. It’s too much.”  Kibum slumped down to the floor. He pulled his knees to his chest and stared at his glowing folded arms that were over his knee caps. Tears leaking down his cheeks hitting his pajama pants. “Please can you disappear for a while so I can cry alone?” He mumbled.

The angel dissolved and so did Kibum’s aura.

His tears bombarded his cheeks when the light vanished. “I don’t want to die.” Kibum crawled onto his bed, his tears soaking into his pillow, he cried so hard he had no memory of falling sleep.

A few months later.

Kibum didn’t show his anger or his sadness, he only clung to Taemin more than normal and Taemin loved it. Kibum only openly cried around his angel. He concealed all his anguish from Taemin.

Kibum took Taemin dancing, they snuck into a club. After they were done dancing Key and Taemin left and walked down the street. “Tae, I have to go visit Daegu for 2 weeks. Will you miss me?”

“You just now tell me this?”

“Are you mad?”

Taemin pouted cutely. “No, I wish I knew before, I would have kissed you all night instead of dancing with you.” He smiled. “Of course I will miss you, you silly little fox.” He kissed the tip of Kibum's nose.

“Are you ready to visit Jinki?” His angel asked while his parents were packing the car. They felt a sudden urge to visit the grandparents. Kibum knew they felt that way because angels were moving things to make this work for him.

“I want to make damn sure he is right for him. I will make him love Taemin.  At first I didn’t think I could do this, but I am ready. Jinki is a good guy; I know he is, it’s just hard.” He sighed.

“1 step of bravery Kibum. Is all it takes.”

“I will do anything for Taemin and if he needs Jinki, then Jinki he will have.” I love you Taemin he thought to himself as he zipped his suitcase. He blinked his eyes and looked up in an attempt to stop tears from forming and falling.

Kibum spent 2 weeks with Jinki, talking his ear off about Taemin. How he loved him, how he was so funny, and a sweetheart and that there was no one more pure of heart than him.  He left Jinki little hints on how to find and treat Taemin. He told him about the club that he and Taemin went to.

They were walking along and passed a flower shop. There were plenty of boxes of flowers out on the sidewalk. Kibum walked over and smelled a box of flowers that were outside the shops window. “Ahhh they smell so good. The pink roses are my favorite. Smell them” The teenagers walked around them talking. “Jinki, one day you’ll see a kitten that has lips like a flower, it’s ok to kiss the petals, and when you kiss it, you should know, the petals taste like strawberries.” He smiled sweetly thinking of Taemin.

“What?” Jinki laughed.

“I’m serious, that is the real reason I don’t eat strawberries any more. Not even a real strawberry will ever compare to the beauty of the petals or their taste.”

“What the hell does that mean?” He laughed really hard.

“Just remember it ok.” Kibum said sternly pointing his finger in Jinki’s face.

“How will I be able to forget such a weird random comment like that?”  

Kibum smelled the pink roses again, trying to keep himself together. “Remember the bunnies you use to draw for me?”

“Yeah”

“Before I leave, draw me one please?”

“Kibum we are teenagers not kids.”

“Damn it Jinki.”

“Whoa what’s wrong?”

“Just do it. Please.” He started crying.

“Don’t cry." The lady at the flower shop was staring at them. “Kibum, what’s wrong?” He held his hand and walked him away from the flower shop for some privacy and sat down on the curb.

“I miss you, why didn’t you move to Seoul instead of me?”

“What? You miss me but you rather me have moved instead of you? What’s wrong?”

“If you get a job promotion when you grow up, take it. Don’t miss your chance ok?” He sniffled and wiped at his nose.

“Um ok, I won’t. You are saying random things. Please tell me what is the matter? You are scaring me.”

“Nothing, I’m fine, do you have a boyfriend?”

“No. why? Are you confessing to me finally?”

“What? No.” he chuckled with an incredulous look.

“Good cuz I don’t like you that way any way.” He teased sticking out his tongue.

“Geez thanks.” Kibum’s warm smile returned.   

“I want someone really sweet…. You are too feisty. Grrrr.” He made a clawing motion and scrunched up his nose and the side of his top lip. “grr”

“Shut up, am not” he chuckled and half smiled. Taemin will like him, they both have dorky humor. He thought.

“Yeah you are.” He nudged him with his shoulder playfully.

“You are sweet Jinki. Funny too, you’d like my friend Taemin.”

“You keep talking about him. You must  love him alot.”

“I do. More than you know.” Kibum didn’t want to start crying again. He stood up. “Do you remember that key you gave me when I left?”

“Yeah. Why do you still have it?” He smiled

“Of course I do. Friends forever, I didn’t forget. But I gave it to Taemin. Is that ok?”

“Hmmm, well I guess it is, he is your boyfriend, and it is a neat key, KEYbum.”

“I told Taemin that Ki sounds like key in English.”

“Did he find it amusing like I do?” he wiggled his eyebrows and grinned.

He rolled his eyes then admitted. “Yes Jinki, he did.” He chuckled. “Oh god you guys are such dorks.”

Later that day before Kibum left, Jinki had giving him the drawing of a bunny. “Here, one last bunny for you.”

“Thank you. I’ll miss you.” Kibum started crying again.

“It’s ok, you can visit again or one day I’ll come and see you.”

“Jinki, I don’t know if I’ll ever see you again.  But promise me something.”He wiped his tear away.

“Yeah”

“Take care of him for me please.” His lip quivered as he tried to be brave.

“Who?”

“The kitten with the rose petal lips.”

“Yeah I’ll kiss a cat and it will taste like strawberries, got it.  I’ll remember you weirdo. And people think I’m the strange one.” Jinki rolled his eyes.

Kibum chuckled, and wiped at his eyes. “Ok. I love you Jinki.” Kibum gave him a hug and looked at his picture. “You know, you should be an illustrator for children’s books, kids would love these drawings.”

“Well maybe I will, you never know.” Jinki shrugged.

When Kibum came back from visiting his friend, he made a copy of the lucky key Jinki gave him and that he ended up giving to Taemin, and kept it hidden so Taemin couldn’t find it.

5 years later… (20yrs old)

Kibum had come to terms and was totally ok with dying by now, and leaving Taemin behind. No longer angry, or sad. At peace with what was going to happen soon. Kibum was strong. Determined.

But when Kibum had gotten really ill, he knew what was happening as soon as Taemin suggest they go to the hospital to get him checked out. Kibum took a deep breath and agreed. When at the doctor’s office they were given the news. Both of them cired and hugged eachother. Kibum felt he could finally be able to have emotions about knowing he was going to die in front of Taemin. He wasn’t alone; Taemin was with him every step of the way. Taemin was his rock.

He had to be Taemin’s also…On the day he found out he was sick, he waited until Taemin was in the shower and got the copy of the Key and sent it to Jinki with a letter. “I hope you remember what I told you the last time I visited. Here is a copy of the lucky Key, I hope it finds you and finds you well. Always keep it with you at all times if you ever move here.” 

2yrs later. (22yrs old)

He was lying in the hospital bed.

Kibum was at full complete peace with his life. He had fun and adventure with Taemin. He had forgiven his family. He was happy with his life. He learned and lived all his life lessons. He was completely ok with Jinki and Taemin meeting after he went home to heaven. He had learned a lot from his angel, and over time at the hospital (he was there for 2 weeks), was the 1st time he met Taemin’s angel.

Taemin was sleeping next to him. His angel, Taemin’s and Jinki’s were there and so was the angel of death just like in his dream from when he was 15. They talked about how to help Taemin and explained things to him on what was going to happen. Kibum felt calm, he looked at Taemin sleeping. “Don’t worry Taemin you won’t be alone. You have Jinki now. We’ll help you see it."  He learned the overall lesson on his life plan set for his soul. Selflessness. His body was ready to go. He wanted to see Taemin one last time so he would be going to heaven tomorrow.

The next day..

After Kibum’s family left the room.  The young men spoke for a few moments, Kibum was ready.

“I love you Taemin”

“I love you Kibum” They kissed, Kibum breathed his last breath, the heart monitor went flat. As Taemin’s lips left Kibum’s, the angels took Kibum home.

 

2 years later… (24yrs old)

Kibum had been watching Taemin for 2 years. Taemin’s depression tugged on his heart. He couldn’t wait for Jinki to get that promotion and move to Seoul. But today was the big day, the start of the chain reaction to Taemin’s cure.

The day before Jinki meets Taemin on the 2nd anniversary of his own death. Jinki was walking to work; he tripped on his shoelace in front of a little café. So he had stopped for a minute to tie his shoe, when he bent down he was unaware the key fell out of his pocket. He stared at his shoe, it wasn’t his lace. But he could have sworn he tripped on something.

What really happened was Kibum’s spirit shoved him forward making him trip. Kibum’s giddy spirit smiled when he saw the copy of the key hit the pavement, then smirked at Jinki’s angel. Jinki’s angel nodded with a warm smile.

 

The next morning, Taemin had found the copy of the key just moments ago. Jinki was walking along the same street as yesterday, Kibum’s spirit smiled with anticipation to Jinki’s guardian angel.

Jinki’s guardian angel had distracted him this morning with random thoughts so when he tied his shoe it really wasn’t tied well so it would unravel at this exact spot. Jinki bent down to tie his shoe.  Jinki saw something out the corner of his eyes, something moving, somebody waving?  He looked up. He saw a man washing the window. Oh I thought someone was waving at me. He stood up and looked at him getting a better look, he noticed he was cute. He had a kind face; there was a smile on his face but something else behind those eyes, something intriguing. He wasn’t sure why but he felt he had to go inside and at least meet this person. He stepped inside the small café. Jinki’s angel and Kibum’s spirit smiled and watched through the glass window as Taemin walked over to Jinki to take his order. Kibum tried hard not to cry as he watched Taemin falling apart in front of his eyes moments later.

Jinki's Angel spoke. “Don’t worry Kibum this has to work. They are strong souls.”

“I know. I feel it too.” Kibum saw Taemin smile for a brief moment, it made him smile.  But when Taemin started crying and sat at the table with Jinki, Kibum’s heart sunk. “This is going to be harder than I thought.” Kibum’s smile faded for a moment.

Taemin’s guardian angel was rubbing Taemin’s back trying to sooth him. But Taemin refused to feel it. Then Jinki held Taemin’s hand across the table.  Jinki’s and Taemin’s glowing light was very bright when they touched. Taemin’s angel felt Taemin love the touch of human contact that came from Jinki’s warm hand. Taemin’s guardian angel smiled up at Jinki’s guardian angel and Kibum’s spirit. “I think Taemin will be ok, he is stronger than he thinks, he just needs more time.” Kibum said with hope, his smile returned.

 

 

 


 

Author's note: ok who needs a hug??? and omg this chapter is sooooo long. Please tell me your feelzz on this chapter. Sad??? Where were you emotionally?

the next chapter picks up from the last one. But this chapter has to go here so you have answers and clues. so yeah. Jinki has a tons of signs as you can see....so this should be interesting.....