Signs From Above

Signs From Above

 

Chapter 14

Jinki ran in the door. Taemin’s head flung around. Jinki looked scared. “Jinki what’s wrong?” he dashed over to him.

“Taemin.” he started crying once he saw Taemin’s eyes as if he was just told the news all over again, he shot his arms around Taemin and hugged him. He was breathing heavy, his whole body was shaking.

The bewildered Taemin tried to help. “Calm down, tell me? Here, sit down.” he ushered him to the couch not even realizing were on couch they had sat. Taemin waited for Jinki to relax. “I will get you some water.”

Taemin was filling the glass in the kitchen; he walked back in and sat down handing him the cold glass. “Whenever you’re ready.” Taemin was worried. Concern laced across his face. He placed his hand on Jinki’s shoulder.

“Tae, I don’t know where to start. I- I well” he took a deep breath and continued. “I found out today my best friend died.” He spoke softly his tears slowing back down, trying to concentrate.

Taemin’s eyes widen. He didn’t know what to say, what would Jinki tell me? Taemin was on the other end of grieving tears for the first time. “You don’t have to talk about it just yet if you don’t want to; trust me I know better than anyone that sometimes it takes time.”

“No Taemin, you don’t understand there’s more.” Taemin waited quietly and wiped his tears like he had done for him before. Jinki started again. “I moved here because of him, I have been trying to find him since I got here, then I got busy and then I tried again a few weeks ago after I had this dream about him. I couldn’t get the thoughts out of my head. It was overwhelming. I called my mom and she told me he died before I moved here. But I am happy I moved here, because I met you.” He smiled weakly wiping his tear.

Taemin smiled. “I am happy you moved here too, you helped me get better.” He paused. “Jinki I am better.” His smile got a bit bigger. “I think am healed now; if you need help, I can help you now.”

Jinki felt Taemin’s compassion and strength through that warm caring smile. “Taemin, I think I believe in signs and angels too like you said before. I think my friend wanted me to met you.” He was calm again. “I just feel bad I wasn’t there for him.” His tears were drying up, his voice quiet. “I guess it was just shocking to find out he had been dead all this time.”

Jinki wasn’t sure if he should tell Taemin he thinks his friend and Taemin’s boyfriend might be the same person. Would that freak him out? Well, I’m not even sure; I wish I could remember the name in my dream.”

“Do you want to talk about him?” Taemin said trying to help like he had done for him.

“No, I’m here to help you clean your room and go through your boyfriends things. I’ll be fine. A friend is nothing compared to the loss of a loved one. But can you give me a few minutes? I think I just need to sit for a moment like this.”

“A loss is still a loss, if you want to talk about it later you can.” Taemin sat closer and draped a caring arm around him. That is when both of them realized they had been sitting on Kibum’s side of the couch.

Taemin smiled. “Look, I’m sitting over here.” He giggled. Jinki looked at him with surprise. “See, I am better!”

Jinki smiled “I am so happy for you!” They hugged. Jinki’s mood changed. Taemin felt happy and his comfort and progress made Jinki feel better that he forgot about if his friend was Taemin’s boyfriend for a moment. He could always talk about his friend’s passing later. “You know what? I’m fine. Let’s go tackle that room then shall we.” Jinki sounded chipper just like Taemin.

Without any issue at all and without a 2nd thought Taemin answered “Sure.” Taemin nodded.

Kibum’s soul smiled at the cute sight before him. A tear rolled down his cheek. The 2 guardian angels smiled. “Here it comes, Kibum are you ready for it?”

“Yes, I am.” He had dealt with all his feelings when he was alive. He had anger and depression too just like Taemin did when dealing with the thought of dying and with knowing Taemin would love again. But he had only been able to talk about that part with his own angel; he never was allowed to tell Taemin anything. But he felt a mixture of happiness for Taemin, and some of his old human feelings of letting go of Taemin all over again even though he knew it was what God built Taemin for. Kibum’s life lessons were all learned and experienced in his short life time, and one of them was selflessness and live life to the fullest, he had done that with Taemin. Its Taemin’s turn to start learning his life lessons, and experiences and fulfilling his purpose. All he had to do now was be brave and accept a kiss. Taemin can only reach his life potential with Jinki. Thinking of Taemin happy and growing old always got Kibum thorough it all. Kibum suggested to Jinki to write children’s books, he suggested to Taemin to cook and dance. And they will now, once Taemin is healed. And bring happiness to millions with food, dance, and books. They would reach and affect more people all because of Kibum. Kibum was happy about this. His memory will never die as long as they get together. Taemin would be happy, Jinki would be happy. Kibum could rest peacefully.

They enter the bedroom. Taemin sat on the bed. He felt nervous again he knew he was better but it was still hard to open the chest of drawers. He stared at the chest of drawers. “Jinki can you open it and just show me his things and I will tell you if it’s a “keep” or “storage” ok?” He bit his finger nails. He was a bundle of nerves.

“Ok, I can do that.” Jinki opened the drawer slowly. “It’s just socks.”

“Ok ok, I don’t need to keep that do I? Should I donate those or something? Or should I just pack them away?” Taemin stared at the back of Jinki as Jinki rummaged through the sock drawer just in case there were other clothes in there.

“It’s up to you, I’ll let you know if there is anything else in here, then I will go to the next draw and tell you what’s in it.”

Taemin reached for his pink keepsake box under the bed. Opening it up, he got out his lucky key. When he picked it up, his paper flower that Kibum made him, fell out and floated down to the floor near Jinki’s feet. Taemin held the key for good luck and to keep clam.

“Nah it is all just socks.” He shut the draw and noticed the paper flower touching his foot. He picked it up so he wouldn’t step on it. He looked at it; it was a handmade pink rose. He turned it over and written on the back it read: ‘to my kitten with lips as pink and soft as rose petals’.

Jinki stumbled backwards one step, Jinki froze, his mouth dropped open. “T-T-Taemin?”

“Yes? What is it?” Taemin asked nervously from Jinki’s reaction, He held the key tighter.

Jinki didn’t’ respond just yet. He looked up from the flower to the top of the chest of drawers, he just so happened to see the back of a photo, too nervous to flip it over, could it be a picture of Taemin and Kibum? I have to know. He asked himself nervously, sacred. He finally spoke, his voice shaky. “What was the name of your boyfriend?” he didn’t wait for the answer though, he flipped the photo over it was the photo from the club.

“Kibum!” Jinki said as he saw the picture, Taemin said it at the same time.

Taemin shook his head in a double take. How’d he know that?

Jinki turned around to face him. He saw Taemin holding HIS key.

“Where you’d you get that?” His eyes winded.

“Th-th-this is my lucky key.” Jinki rushed over and knelt in front of Taemin. Jinki smiled with tears in his eyes.

“Jinki what’s going on?” Taemin was blinking in confusion.

“D-Did you find this key? May I hold it? Where is the other one?" his voice seemed happy now.

Taemin was shocked. “You know I have 2 of them? T-This one is mine... but I-I found this one,” He picked up the other one and handed it to Jinki.

“Oh my god. Kibum! You are a sly fox” Jinki laughed staring at the key.

“What? How do you know his name?” Taemin stood up confused. “Did you know my Kibum?”

“It means KEY in English. I, I knew Kibum; I saw his picture on the chest of drawers. I’m his Jinki bunny.”

“You’re his bunny, the bunny.” Taemin said flatly, not upset, just gluing things together. He thought of his discovery before Jinki ran through the door. Taemin smiled, his eyes became misty. He knew now Kibum did know him too and wanted to hear more.

“He use to call me that, hell my mom still calls me that, but don’t tell anyone. I don’t know if me being called Jinki bunny is embarrassing or awesome.” He chuckled, His memory replayed its self and Taemin’s name was no longer blurry, it was loud and crystal clear. “Well, it’s awesome Kibum guided me to you. … I draw bunnies because of him” He paused; his eyes fell to Taemin’s mouth, and then winded with the realization. “You are the kitten with strawberry lips." He unconsciously pointed at him.

Taemin blushed. “I’m the what?” He giggled. All of sudden it hit Taemin as well. His eyelids shot wide open “The Key! The key, it was on my list, with the bunny!” He fumbled for his list to open it and hand it to him as he told him about it.

“What list?” he tilted his head, brows arched in confusion.

Taemin showed him his list. “Remember I told you he was giving me signs that I’ll be fine, I wrote a list of them. Well the signs were telling me it’s ok to fall in love and not feel guilty about it and that is how I know I am cured because I fell in …” Taemin trailed off.

Taemin and Jinki looked up from the list and at each other. They blushed.

“I also fe-… “

Taemin cut him off in surprise. “You did? How? I was sick in the head this whole time?”

“You’re not sick, you’re human. Let me tell you all about what happen….” They both calmed down and felt fine surprisingly fine with all of it.

Jinki reveals his past to Taemin. “….....He told me to take that job promotion drawing pictures, if I ever got it. So I did and then I met you.” He smiled as he finished his long story.

Taemin told him about all the signs and the bunny cloud and how he found his book. “So that means I can love again and he is ok with it.” He blushed.

Jinki chuckled. “I drew and wrote that book for you. I may have started drawing because of him, but the children’s book is for you. I thought if I drew you a cute story it would make you smile."

“Aw, that is so sweet, thank you.” He hugged him.

“We’re gonna be ok, because we have each other and we will never forget him.” Jinki rubbed his back then pulled out of the hug. “Wow, so he led us to one another? That sly little fox.” They smiled.

Taemin rested his head on Jinki shoulder. “And I’m happy he did.”

“Me too.”

They sat there for awhile in silence, but randomly breaking the comfortable silence with talk of Kibum. They spoke for an hour laughing and joking about Kibum. They were remembering him together, he would never be forgotten. Talking made them both feel better with each passing moment.

After awhile they got up and finished cleaning and packing up Kibum’s stuff. They found the old drawing Jinki gave Kibum the day he last saw him. They plan on framing it. They placed the picture from the club and the keys on the top of the chest of drawers. They decided to make a special spot for him there, but not as a morning shrine but as a happy remembrance. After they set it up, Taemin asked Jinki to dance with him to what is now all three of their’s favorite song. Taemin pressed play on the CD player. They rejoiced in the moment. From now on only happy memories of Kibum were left.

Taemin smiled as Jinki danced silly, Taemin began to goof off as well.

Kibum’s spirit watched them and smiled and chuckled. “Yeah they fit each other, such dorks” Their auras shimmered brightly.

After awhile they plopped down to the floor in a sweaty huff, laughing. Taemin not feeling 1 bit guilty for being happy, or dancing, or loving every cute handsome moment of Jinki. With finding out today that Kibum approved of not only loving again, but loving Jinki, he hugged Jinki. His breathing fell back to normal after it had been pounding with the exertion from dancing and jumping around. He got quiet and then spoke softly.

“Jinki?”

“Yes.”

He whispered “I love you.” he pulled out of the hug to look him in the eyes. “Thank you for everything.”

Jinki smiled. “I love you too.” Jinki leaned in closer; Taemin leaned slowly, as they shyly blushed. Jinki rested his head on Taemin’s forehead. “May I kiss you?” Taemin blushed and accepted to follow his heart. Taemin smiled. Leaning in further closing the gap, their lips touched. A spark sent tingles down their spines and it shot out and radiated through them, between them and out into their auras in a beaming light. All their time together flashed through their minds at the same time. The kiss deepened, but still romantic and sweet.

I’m human too; remember that, so I have issues as well, everyone does. Life and friendships shouldn’t stop or be prevented just because life gets in the way with all its little issues. A friend told me that once. I like you, your honest, and please do not be offended when I say this, but you’re handsome too, so you shouldn’t frown like that. Let’s start over. I’m Lee Jinki nice to meet you today on this lovely city bench. Let this be the day you remember the day you met Jinki the pumpkin pie eater. I’ll remember this day as the day I met Taemin the man of mystery. Taemin frowned at the time when Jinki had told him this, but now it made him smile.

Kibum watched the couple kiss, he smiled and a happy tear rolled gently down his cheek. Kibum saw a flash of the future in his mind’s eye.

Taemin would adopt kids with Jinki and open up a bakery and a dance studio. Jinki would become a famous writer and illustrator for popular children’s books inspired by their childhoods and of course their own children. Kibum knew if they kissed, they would end up having 3 kids, a son and 2 girls. They would be so successful. They fit each other. Their souls danced in their white and silver light as they kissed, Taemin’s light shiny purple slowly started fading, dimming, melting away. “I’m happy for you Taemin. I love you; Take care of him, Jinki.” He took a deep breath, wiped his happy tears, when he exhaled he saw Taemin’s purple vanish forever.

Kibum’s watery eyes looked over at Jinki’s and Taemin’s angels. They were smiling at the couple, Kibum spoke softly. “They did it” he wiped at his tears. “I’m ready to go home now.” He smiled, turning to look at his friends one last time. “See you tonight Taemin.” His second to last appearance with Taemin would happen tonight.

The angels took Kibum to heaven.

Taemin and Jinki broke their kiss as soon at Kibum dissolved.

It was late afternoon and the newly formed couple were having and early dinner. Taemin had a thought. “Jinki, so you knew Kibum's parents too then?”

“Oh yeah, I didn’t even think about that part of it.”

“I think I am ready to talk to them. I should formally apologize to them for snapping at his mom at the hospital. I also forgive them for everything like Kibum has. They may have treated me badly but I don’t hate them anymore. I want to let them know. I want you to come with me after dinner.”

“I’ll come with you. I won’t let them mistreat you just in case they try.”

“Thank you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note: Their visit to Kibum's house is next, dun dun dun.,... how's everybody hanging in there? happy? Your feelings while reading this chapter??? What is going to happen at Kibum's????