CHAPTER 7 - THAT'S YOU KRIS

ANGEL

 

 

“So what do you guys have planned for the weekend?” Chanyeol asked while munching away. Jessica made a face. “Chanyeol how many times have I told you not talk with your mouth full?” She scolded. “Sorry mom” he joked making Kai chuckle before saying “Image having Jessica as your mom that would be brutal”. The other boys tried to hold back their laughter.

 

Jessica shot Kai one of her death glares but Kai didn’t even flinch. He was the only person who wasn’t intimidated by her icy glares, even Kris was a little afraid of Jessica but he would never publically admit it. “Well Jong In, at least I didn’t get rejected by th-” Kai put his hand on before she could finish her sentence.

 

Lay immediately pushed Kai’s hand off his girlfriend’s mouth and protectively wrapped his arms around Jessica. “What the hell man” he whined pulling Jessica even closer. Kai closed his eyes trying to calm himself down while Jessica smirked as an idea popped into her mind. “Hey Kai what was it like being rejected for the first time ever”.

 

“Keep it down” Kai nervously looked around, trying to make sure no one in the cafeteria heard. “What’s she talking about” Chanyeol asked the question on everyone’s mind. Kai shook his head “nothing, she’s just-” “Kai confessed to this girl in our History class yesterday and she shut him” Jessica giggled “can you believe that”.

 

They all looked at Kai shocked by what they were hearing. Kai was known as the ultimate playboy. Every girl was after him. So it was a huge shock for his friends to find out he had been rejected, this was indeed a first. Kai had never professed his love to anyone; he was the one usually getting love conessions on a daily basis.

 

“He must be loosing his touch” Kris sympathetically patted his back. “I’m not loosing my touch” Kai swiped Kris’ had off his back before crossing his arms and mumbling incoherent words. “It was bound to happen; no one can break so many hearts without having his own heart broken” Chanyeol added matter of factly.

 

“Hey Chanyeol” Kai said through greeted teeth. His gazed remained glued to the ground as anger boiled up inside him. “Yeah” Chanyeol asked innocently. “Shut up!” Kai exclaimed louder than he intended to, the entire cafeteria was looking at their table now. Jessica smirked having claimed victory, for some reason Jessica loved to see Kai squirm.

 

“Anyway, to answer Chanyeol’s previous question, Kris and I will be meeting up with Seohyun to help her figure some stuff out” Jessica said happily, after putting Kai through torment she was ready to move on. “What? I thought we could hang out this weekend” Lay protested; he hated how this new girl was taking over Jessica’s life.

 

To be honest Lay wasn’t concern with why they were helping the strange girl. He was more worried about the alone time Jessica and Kris were getting. It had been years ago but he still remembered how Jessica was helplessly in love with Kris. It had taken everything in him to confess, and soon she began seeing him as more than just the boy always hanging around Kris.

 

Lay was sure of her feelings for him now, but he had his doubts sometimes. You just don’t forget someone like that especially if they once meant the entire world to you. Jessica still went out of her way to help Kris even to this day. Although she had reassured him that she as just trying to support Kris, he couldn’t help but feel like that little boy in love with the girl who will never acknowledge his existence.

 

“Lay you okay” Jessica broke his chain of thought. She could tell that he had something on his mind.

 “I’m fine” he reassured pecking her cheek. Jessica wasn’t buying it though. “Really I’m okay” his second attempt was just as ineffective. Jessica knew exactly what was bothering him, the same thing that had been hurting their relationship from the very beginning.

 

 “Why don’t we go to the movies or something, am sure we can help Seohyun out some other time?” Jessica was desperate to try anything that would fix whatever was broken between the two of them. Lay shook his head. “It’s okay, you should help her out” he gave her a small smile; a smile she knew was fake. “Okay” she sighed in defeat.

 

Before they could dig themselves into a hole any further the bell rang signalling the end of lunch break. Kai instantly stood up packing all his stuff away like he was excited to go to class, of course his friends knew better than that. “Why are you in such a hurry” Chanyeol asked still rooted to his chair like he didn’t hear the bell. “I’m really excited about History” Kai said before storming out the cafeteria.

 

“Forget it Kai she can see right through you” Jessica exclaimed, it was obvious Kai was running after the mysterious girl who had dared to reject him. “Well I guess we should get going too” Lay stood up and Kris and Jessica followed suit. “Where you guys going” Chanyeol asked confused by why everyone so leaving so suddenly.

 

“Chanyeol we’ve got classes to attend” Jessica stated the obvious. “Why” Chanyeol sulked. Kris rolled his eyes, did they have to go through this everyday. “Maybe we can-” before Chanyeol could finish his sentence Kris had pulled him up by his shirt and dragged him out the cafeteria. “Wait, don’t make me go there. I hate math, I just don’t’ get it!”

 

A FEW HOURS LATER

 

Kris and Chanyeol were walking down the hallway heading to their next class after Math. Chanyeol was walking faster than usual anxious to get away from his math class. “Seriously Chanyeol, why are you so afraid of Math? It’s just a subject” Chanyeol gave him a look. “Are you serious” he asked like Kris is supposed to know the answer.

 

“Is that Kai” Chanyeol said pointing straight ahead, abruptly changing the subject. Kris followed his finger only to find their dear friend Kai talking to some girl who seemed uninterested in whatever he was saying. They couldn’t hear what the two were talking about but it looked like Kai was begging for his life. He was practically hanging onto her leg.

 

It was pretty obvious that was the girl Jessica was talking about earlier. Chanyeol and Kris looked at each other before nodding in agreement. They both knew what the other was thinking. With matching smirks, they headed in Kai’s direction. It was rear seeing Kai this vulnerable, they only wished Jessica would be there to witness it for herself.

 

 Kai had his arm around the girl’s shoulder which seemed to irritate the girl as she wore an expression that could only be described s disgust. She was trying to tell him to leave her alone when all of a sudden two tall figures appeared before them. The girl didn’t have to say anything as Kai voluntarily retreated his arm.

 

“Hey Kai, what you doing” Kris asked upon their arrival. “Uhm no-nothing” Kai stumbled on his words mentally cursing his bad luck. “It doesn’t look like nothing” Chanyeol added making Kai even more nervous. The girl who had her gaze fixed to the ground finally looked up only to come in contact with Kris.

 

Her eyes doubled in size when it registered who was standing in front of her. Without saying anything, she walked past Chanyeol and Kris in a flash disappearing into a random classroom. “What the hell was that man” Chanyeol asked Kris. Kai was also thinking the same thing. Kris thought he imagined it but apparently the girl run away when she saw him.

 

 “I knew Kris was scary but the poor girl practically flew away when she saw you” Kai pointed an accusing finger at Kris. Chanyeol nodded his head in agreement.  “Why are you so upset that she left” Kris turned the tables on him. “Nothing, no reason” Kai said before disappearing as well. Kris sighed before grabbing Chanyeol and heading off to class.

 

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

 

Kris and Jessica were standing in front of Seohyun’s house. After ringing the bell a few times the door finally opened. “Seohyun” Jessica said reaching out and hugging the taller girl. Without waiting for an invitation Jessica stormed into the house heading for the living room. Kris sighed, Jessica had the bad habit of forgetting her manner actually she had none.

 

“Sorry about that” Kris apologised for his friend’s rude behaviour. “It’s okay, I glad she feels comfortable around me” Seohyun reassured playing with her fingers avoiding his gaze. “Why don’t you come in” she momentarily forgot that Kris was standing outside, her nerves were getting the better of her.

 

“Is your mom home” Kris looked around once inside nervous the woman would kick him out like she did at the flower shop. No she’s running errands so we can talk freely” Kris calmed down a little. The woman kind of scared him. “You can go in the living room I’ll get some refreshments” she said before disappearing into the kitchen.

 

“Yoona” Jessica said when she noticed the doe eyed girl sitting on the couch her eyes glued to the book on her lap. The girl immediately jumped upon hearing her name being called. “Jessica, wha-what are you doing here” she nervously smiled hiding the book behind her back. Jessica took note of her strange behaviour.

 

“We came to see Seohyun” Jessica said walking closer to the girl trying to get a closer look at the object in her hands.  “We?” Yoona asked moving back as Jessica got closer. At that moment Kris walked in answering Yoona’s question. Yoona tensed up as soon as the tall blond came into view. “Do you two know each other” Jessica asked seeing Yoona’s reaction.

 

Kris looked at Yoona for a moment trying to recall where he had seen her before “Oh, yeah I saw her with Kai on Friday” he answered remembering the incident and how she ran away from him. Looking at her now he could tell she wanted to run away again. Jessica chuckled “Is he still bothering you, I can tell him to stop” Yoona shook her head “It’s okay I can handle him”.

 

Seohyun walked into the living room “I see you guys have met” she said putting down the tray of refreshments she was holding. “I don’t mean to be rude but where do you know them from” Yoona asked Seohyun. Jessica looked offended while Kris couldn’t care less; he just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

 

“They are helping me find out about Joohyun, remember I told you about it” Seohyun answered offering Jessica and Kris refreshments. “Oh” Yoona said unable to hide the disappointed look on her face. “Well I guess I should be going” she said heading for the door. “Why? You just got here, please stay” Seohyun begged the doe eyed girl.

 

“No you guys should talk, I’ll call you later okay” Yoona raffled her hair. Seohyun looked disappointed nevertheless she nodded. “See you later then” she said to Kris and Jessica before putting the book she was holding on the bookshelf by the entrance and heading out the door. Jessica made a mental note to check the bookshelf.

 

“So where do we start” Jessica asked as Seohyun took the seat beside her. “Why don’t you tell us everything you know about your sister” Kris told Seohyun. The girl didn’t have much to say about her sister. She never brought the subject up because her mom would always freak out every time she did. However she was ready to open up.

 

“I really don’t know much, but what I do know is that she was a very caring and generous person” Jessica noticed the smile on her face as she talked about her sister which made her smile too. The weird thing was that Kris had a smile too, or his version of a smile. First Yoona now Kris, everyone was acting weird lately. Not to mention Lay but she knew very well why he was acting strange.

 

“She always went out of her way to help people. Well that’s what my mom told me anyway” Seohyun continued rambling about her sister, snapping Jessica out of her trance. “I can tell you realy loved” Seohyun nodded at Jessica’s statement. While the two carried on Kris stood still leaning against the door frame listening very carefully to what Seohyun was saying about Joohyun.

 

It had been a while since he had actually seen Joohyun, he thought of telling them about his encounter with her by the lake but that would only freak them out. So instead he decided to learn more about her through her sister, even though she was dead he still was fascinated about Joohyun. He still was unable to erase her from his mind.

 

“Can you get me a glass of water” Jessica randomly asked taking Seohyun by surprise. “Sure” she got up heading for the kitchen. Jessica made sure Seohyun was out of sight before racing to the bookshelf. “What the hell are you doing” Kris was taken back by Jessica sudden action. “Looking for something” she replied without looking up at him.

 

 Kris was at a loss for words, of course Jessica would do something like that. At this point nothing Jessica does should surprise him. “Got you” Jessica exclaimed a huge worn out brown book in hand. It was the same one Yoona was previously holding. Kris walked up to her trying to see what it was that got her attention. “It’s a photo album” she said as she looked through the pages.

 

It was filled with family pictures mostly of Seohyun. There was one of her playing the piano with a girl who looked a lot like Seohyun standing beside her. “That must be Joohyun” Jessica pointed at the girl. Of course Kris knew it was Joohyun. How was it that every time he saw Joohyun his heart skipped a beat yet he felt nothing for her exact copy Seohyun?

 

As they flipped through the pages the pictures of Joohyun became less, as if she was slowly disappearing in the album. “Okay can we put the thing back” Kris nervously looked back at the kitchen entrance making sure Seohyun didn’t find them snooping. “Fine” She closed it and was about to put it back when something fell from the album.

 

“What’s this” Jessica picked up the piece of paper and noticed it was a photo. The five people in the picture were smiling like they were having the time of their lives, they looked really close. The strange thing was that Jessica had been through the entire album and she hadn’t seen this particular picture.

 

“That must be Joohyun and Seohyun” Kris pointed at the two identical girls standing next to each other. Judging by how young they both looked and the fact that Joohyun was still alive, it was evident that the picture was taken a few years back.

 

Next to the sisters was a happy looking girl cling onto Seohyun like her life depended on it.  “That’s Yoona” Jessica pointed at the smiling girl. “I’ve never seen her smile like that before” Yoona was always quiet and distant “they must have been friends for a long time” Kris added. Yoona was in some of the other pictures too.

 

Next to them were two boys that weren’t in any of the other pictures. Jessica narrowed her eyes certain she knew the boys from somewhere. “Oh my gosh is that Lay” Jessica gasped pointing at the boy with a soccer ball in is hand also wearing a cheesy smile.

 

Kris grabbed the picture from Jessica’s grip trying to make sure she wasn’t seeing things. Having judged for himself, Kris was sure that was Lay in the picture. “It’s him” he quickly said moving his gaze to the boy standing beside Lay and is eyes almost fell off “and that boy next him isn’t that” Kris didn’t have to finish his sentence “That’s you Kris”