CHAPTER 9 - I HAVE A PLAN

ANGEL

An awkward silence filled the car as Lay waited for a response but his two companions remained silent. With a heavy sigh he massaged his forehead trying to yield the impending head ach. “Lay, please drop this” Jessica insisted. She could tell that he was having hard time and digging any further would only make things worse.

 

“Drop what? Is there something to drop? Is there something between you two?” Lay blurted out unable to contain his anger. He couldn’t take it any longer. He had to know the truth, even if it hurt him in the process, it was better than being oblivious.

 

“Lay, please calm down” Jessica pleaded gently resting her right on his back before drawing small circles on his back trying to calm him down. Under normal circumstances that would have worked on him, however Lay wasn’t going to let this go. He pushed her hand away making Jessica gasp in surprise.

 

Even Kris, who had been silently staring out the window while Lay threw his tantrum, was surprised by his friend’s action. “No I’m not going to calm down Sica, just tell me is there is something I need to be worried about. Kris...” Lay turned to his best friend expectantly.

 

Jessica gave Kris a pleading look. He knew there was a hidden message written behind that look. She was begging him to tell Lay everything, to put it all out in the open. However Kris wasn’t going to let that happen. Even though Jessica looked like she was on the verge of tears and Lay was fuming with anger.

 

“Yixing...Please start the car we are going to be late for school” he simply replied keeping his gaze fixed out the window like the most interesting thing was going on outside. Lay snigger unable to comprehend what he was hearing, his grip on the steering wheel tightened.

 

Jessica prepared herself for a major freak out from Lay but instead he put the key back in the ignition and started the car. She was taken back by his reaction. Honestly it would have been better if Lay had an outburst, throwing some things around the car. But him pretending like it didn’t affect him, this was much worse.

 

Kris on the other hand was glad he was on his way to school and couldn’t care less or at least he was trying to convince himself that he didn’t care. Sure he had probably broken up their relationship but Lay had been lying to him for years. A liar like Lay doesn’t deserve a girl like Jessica, right?

 

The ride to school was a quiet one and only the distinct sound of Jessica’s sobs could be herd over the engine noises.

 

As soon as the car stopped and everyone was out, Lay made a b line for the school entrance not even bothering to wait for Jessica. They usually walked in together holding hands while making googly eyes at each other. Jessica sighed as she watched him abandon her.

 

“Just let him go” Kris intervened when he saw that she was about to cry once again. Jessica shot him a one of her icy glares. This one however was different from her other death glares, it was a hint of what was about to come. Kris should have paid more attention to that warning.

 

“Are you serious?”  Jessica asked unable to believe what she was hearing “you do know this is all your fault right? Lay will never speak to me again” Jessica spat she was enraged by how calm Kris was about this whole situation. “Who cares about Lay” was all Kris could say making his way into the school building

 

“You are so selfish Kris” Jessica shrieked halting Kris in the process.  “All I asked was for you to tell him the truth. That was all Kris....but ...but you couldn’t do that for me. After everything I did for you, you couldn’t do that one thing for me and...” she stopped mid sentence trying to catch her breath.

 

Kris could only watch in horror because he had never seen Jessica this angry before. It kind of scared him but he also felt a pang of guilt. Maybe keeping secrets wasn’t the best idea. He had been a bit selfish but he had reason for that.

 

“This is Lay for goodness sake” Jessica continued after catching her breath “if you just ask him he will tell you everything you need to know”. Despite her reasoning Kris shook his head. “I can’t do that” Kris simply replied.

 

“Ah” Jessica screamed in frustration before she punched his shoulder and walked into the school building. Kris was left alone in the middle of the school parking lot rubbing his aching shoulder. He had managed to loose both his best friends in the span of twenty minutes.

 

Kris couldn’t quite figure out how things had taken a turn for the worst. He knew he was partly to blame, well mostly. He wished that he could just confront Lay and get everything cleared out. But why was he acting this way?

 

If he was honest with himself he would realise that he felt a little betrayed by Lay. For so long they had been best friend and Kris felt he could trust Lay with his very existence. Now at a time in his life were he felt the most confused the person he trusted the most proved himself unworthy.

 

He felt a little alone now and he was lashing out at the people who cared about him the most. Since Lay had kept the secret for so long Kris felt entitled to his own secret. What the secret was he had no idea. There was a picture with him, Lay and a bunch of other kids but that was it.

 

Was it enough to ruin a life long friendship? Probably not but Kris was too stubborn to admit that. He knew Lay was a very carefree person who would never stay mad at any for very long. However this time things were very different. One thing was for sure, their friendship was lost forever.

 

Unexpectedly the bell rang signalling the begging of the school day. With a heavy sigh Kris began his journey to homeroom but suddenly he felt all the blood in his body rush to his head. His vision became blurry so he looked up to the sky but the sun light was replaced with a deep red.

 

Kris tried to stay on his feet but he felt all his senses being knock right out of him he couldn’t tell which way was up. The last thing he remembered was his name being called before everything went black.

...

...

 

“Kris...Kris” Kris slowly opened his eyes and was hit with a sudden burst of sunlight. He blinked a few times trying to adjust to the light. “Kris, are you awake” said the voice again. When his vision finally cleared he came into contact with a face that looked awfully familiar.

 

“Joohyun?” he whispered brushing his shaky hands against her white skin. He took a deep breath taking in her sweet smell. What was it again? Oh yeah gardenia, the smell of gardenia.

 

“Kris!” he heard again this time more vivid. Without thinking it through he sat up and immediately regretted his decision because a shark pain hit the back of his head. “Ah” he cried out holding his throbbing head.

 

“Oh my goodness are you okay? Lay back down” a hand gently guided Kris back to the bed he had been resting on. “Seohyun?” he asked after getting a closer look at the girl by is side. The girl just nodded.  Of course it wasn’t Seohyun.

 

“Where am I?” he examined the room trying to guess his location. After a few seconds she came to the conclusion that she was in the nurse’s office. The room had white walls that almost increased the aching in his head and the smell of medicine filled the air.

 

“What happened to you?” the girl asked wearing a worried expression. Kris tried to think back. The last thing he remembered was standing in the parking lot then the bell rang and then nothing.

 

“Wait, what am I doing in the nurse’s office?” he asked his memories were a bit fuzzy. “You passed out in at the school parking lot” Seohyun replied Kris was shocked by her answer. Passed out?

 

“I see you are awake” a woman that Kris guessed was the nurse walked in. She was wearing a white uniform and held a brown clip bored where she was writing down notes as she walked. After writing a few more lines she put the clip board on her desk near an open window and pulled a chair before sitting beside Kris.

 

“Will he be okay” Seohyun asked the woman. She nodded. “You passed out due to stress” she explained “all you need to do is get some rest and drink a lot of water and you will be as good as new in no time” she said wearing warm smile. Kris took a deep break sighing in relief.

 

“You are lucky she was there to help you” the woman said motioning for Seohyun “everyone had already left the parking lot and it would have been hours before someone found you”. Kris looked at Seohyun grateful that the girl was there to rescue him.

 

“Why were you there anyway?” Kris asked. She didn’t go to his school so it was a bit weird that she was the one who found him. “Well I actually came to see you” she said nervously playing with the hem of her shirt.

 

“I have a plan”

 

A/N

Anyeongseo

I know it’s been a while since I last updated and am really sorry!! I have been really busy with school work and exams so things have been hectic, am sure you can understand.

Anyway I managed to find time to update so here you go. It’s a bit boring and slow but I basically wanted to explain Kris’ behaviour before I moved on.

Also I don’t know if i’m supposed to reply to comments so mianhae for not doing so. My bad!

Hope you liked the update though.

Please comment and subscribe for a faster update~