Chapter 19

BE WITH YOU

If only curse were mighty, he would have cursed this day, and not to be mean, the company itself. Junho – of all days, he thought to himself – why he had to deal with some matters under his department, today. Files were all over his desk, those that were signed and those that had yet to be signed were separated. His hair disarrayed while he sadly stared at his phone. The phone call with So Eun was short and he felt really sorry for not being able to make it to the party anymore. Although she said she presented that she would just come by and bring him something to eat, he was still regretful. He hated the feeling of being a burden to someone – to So Eun, the most. Before getting back to going through the documents left on his desk, he decided to take a little break; a nap rather. Leaning back, he set her arms across his chest, heaved a sigh and finally closed his eyes in hopes that So Eun would be there soon. The thought of her put a foolish smile on his lips before finally drifting off.

“You are so beautiful even in your sleep…” it felt like his senses woke up in their own accord but couldn’t bring himself to open his eyes yet. The soft murmurs made him smile, though. “I could stay here and watch you all night.” He felt fingers ran through his hair and for a while he enjoyed the sensation it brought. The fingers made their way down to the tip of his nose, to his jaw and before they could make it any further, he caught them in his hand before opening his eyes.

No, he was awake, wide awake upon seeing the owner of the hand he just held into his. Surprised at first, but it was instantly replaced by annoyance – also, there was a hint disappointment on his face. “Ji Yeon, what are you doing here? And why do you know I’m here?” his voice was stern.

The girl who seemed unfazed just stood there, towering over him, flashed him a smile – the kind she uses when she’s up to something. “Well, we haven’t seen each other for ages and this is how you would welcome me? Aren’t you happy to see me again? Because I am!” she sat on his desk, distancing herself for a bit, her arms weighing her as she leaned on them. She looked around his office as she waited for her response but got nothing. When she looked back to him, he had a stoic face that made her smirk. “We didn’t change that much, did we? C’mon now… I know that look. You know… that just turns me on, right?” Her body shifted a little and as if not contented she hovered over him again.

He didn’t budge and met the challenge. Junho was so sick of her even though they had never seen each other again since he left Seoul before. This, after all those years, was the first time she’d seen her and he was already feeling spiteful. “To be honest, I’ve heard news about So Eun and you… imagine how far news could reach, oppa? Well, that made me realize how much I have missed you and needed you in my life… that’s why I came home all the way from Paris. To win you back.” She smirked and leaned closer to him.

So Eun would not be happy to see this if she came anytime soon, he worried but he knew he had to end Ji Yeon’s delusion. “Really? You only realize such things when you find out that someone else beat you to getting things that you want? I’m not a toy and you knew exactly how much I love her. We were over a long time ago, jinjja… and you’re here saying all these stupid things to me like I’m dumb and would believe you? What is it this time, Ji Yeon? You still make your parents believe that my family would save your business?”

“Smart .” She smiled bitterly but that didn’t make her back down. “I don’t care about their business anymore, I want you and I will do everything to have you back even if that means ruining your little family…”

The threat almost made him laugh but he chose to look her straight in the eyes. She came closer that their faces were just inches away, still hovering. “You think I’m scared of you? Mhmm, if you would give me a chance, I would like to meet your son… maybe he’ll like me to be his step mom…”

“Omo, are you insane? Can you hear what you’re saying? Touch me once, I swear you are not going to like what I’ll do to you.” He deadpanned. “I’m warning you Ji Yeon… now please, go. Or you’ll regret you ever come here.”

 

“You missed this, didn’t you?” a female voice said, her voice a little husky. “I know you do… I mean she would never do this to you, like I would?” she ran her fingertips across his jaw and down to his neck. Hatred was bubbling up to his chest that made him clench his fist.

Thoughts of So Eun was all over his head. He had imagined how her reaction would be if she ever caught this girl here. But before he could lose his control, he let out a heavy breathing and managed to calm himself. “Please Ji Yeon…” his hands were on her arms while she towered over him.

“Please what? What do you want Junho?”

“Just leave, okay. I don’t want So Eun to see you here. I don’t want her to catch you here in my office doing this…” that was true. He didn’t want to stress her, not today, not before leaving and heading to the other side of the world. He planned to tell her about this when she came back but before he could get Ji Yeon off him, “He’s right.” It was So Eun. He heard that voice – the one he wished not to hear at this very moment. It was like he was punched in the gut. “Damn” he cursed under his breath. Although there was nothing to be guilty about he feared she would gave them the wrong impression. With Ji Yeon still towering over him while he leaned back on his chair – he knew she would be hurt. And he was right because the moment he laid his eyes on her, pain was all over her face. Even though she was trying so hard to mask it with her toughness; he knew better. He felt it when he tried to take her hand but was ignored, when her exchange with Ji Yeon almost turned into a banter before finally, the other girl, walked out with shame written all over her face. He felt it when all she wanted to do was leave already. Pain, he was mentally blaming himself for causing this to her. She looked so vulnerable. The thought of her raising Yun Jae alone were flashing right before his eyes and that hurt him more than anything. He didn’t want to see the same look he’d never imagined to see on her.

“It’s not what you think. Believe me… Please don’t be like this…” he strode back to her and hugged her from behind.

“I… don’t know. I’ll get going.” She freed herself from his grip and took her purse, ready to leave but Junho stopped her.

“No, if you’re leaving then I am too. I am going with you and will send you to the airport. I don’t care about all these papers anymore.”

“Junho!” he saw those tears that were threatening to fall and could only blame himself. But he was relentless, either.

“So Eun, you are not going to leave Seoul like this. I will not let you leave in this state. I’ve hurt you. I promised myself I will never hurt you again, but right now I am hurting you even without my intention to. But I will explain everything, if you please hear me out, first. Please?”

“Junho, this isn’t the first time this happened and I just can’t believe I’m going through this again, I can’t take it, okay? The sight of Ji Yeon and you in this room, in that proximity makes me think back on the past, on what happened before. All I could ever think right now are her words. Your letter when you left… it’s just too much.. I—“

More than regret he was all confused now. “What? What were you saying? Letter? What letter? And what did you mean by her words? You mean when I left, you talked to her?” No, he would not let her leave like this. Something happened in the past that he didn’t know and he had to know!

“So Eun…” slowly shaking his head, he felt his eyes were watery. Biting at the bottom of his lip, he took one step towards her but he noticed her recoiling.

“I have a favor, Junho. Don’t send me to the airport and just bring Yun Jae home with you. I don’t want him seeing us like this. Please.”

“No!” he was alarmed and a bit hysteric this time that she just grabbed her. He held her so tight even though she just stayed there frozen. “Are you kidding me? You are not going to run away from this, from me, again!”

She was frozen in her place and all she could do was break down. Junho turned her so that she could face him and buried her face on his chest, he too, was tearing up. He hated that she was hurting. The last time he saw her in this state was when she thought he would take Yun Jae away from her.

“Please… I’ll take you home. I’ll send you to the airport and when you get back we’ll clear everything. But Kim So Eun, sunshine, what you just saw was nothing. Ji Yeon wanted me back after she had heard that we’re together now, but only because their business needs my parents’ business. Other than that, other than the fact she couldn’t take losing over someone, she wanted nothing else from me.” He hushed her and smoothed her back, while she still sobbed. “Look at me,” he lifted her chin up to meet his gaze, her eyes were puffy and her nose was pink. They stared into each other’s eyes for several seconds, “Whatever she does, no matter where you are, no matter where I am, she would never have me because you already have my heart and I love you, like crazily in love with you. Ji Yeon would never take me away from you, I would never let her do that. Trust me?”

Her tears were streaming down her face after hearing all those words that she wrapped her arms around his waist. Junho kissed her forehead and embraced her tightly, relieved that she stayed and listened. “We still have to talk about this when you come back. Promise that you’ll come back soon.”

“I will… Of course…” she sniffed feeling all her energy drained up. “I just wanna go home.”

“We’re going home.” He took her hand, the food, her purse and made their way out of his office.

“But your work…”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll have my secretary send the papers over at Mom and Dad’s. Will get back to them after I drive you to the airport tonight. For now, I’ll take you home and we’ll be spending some more time with our young man.”

Before they could finally exit his office, she pulled her to a halt and gave him a peck. “Thank you and I’m sorry for misunderstanding you…”

He kissed her again on the forehead and smiled a little sadly, “I would have done the same thing if I were you though… Let’s go.”

 

 

“Eomma, can’t we just come with you?” the little kid asked, his eyes droopy; he was tired from playing all afternoon. He got even more tired when his parents came home and was after his appa taught him some basic skills in drumming. So Eun was beside him, putting him to sleep before they had to leave while Junho was having a chat with Mrs. Kim downstairs.

She kissed the top of her son’s head and went on patting his back. “Because it’s work, my little sunshine. Remember when we were back in there, I couldn’t bring you to my work either? Also this time, it’s a runway, eomma will be really busy. I have a lot of people I will work with there which meant I would be spending less time with you, honey. Do you want that? And your appa will miss you. He has a lot of work here too.”

Yun Jae shook his head and heaved a sigh. “I want to go there with you but I also want to be with Appa. Will you be gone for long, Eomma?”

“No, honey. I’ll be back as soon as everything is done. Now go to sleep. Promise me you’ll be good while Eomma is away.”

“I promise. But promise me we’ll go there again, together. You, Appa and I? I just sort of miss my friends there.”

“Aigooo… Okay honey. Now go to sleep.”

 

 

“Take care on your way and make sure to call right away when your plane landed.” Mrs. Kim reminded her for the third time.

“Eomma, that’s exaggerated.” She chuckled, “but I will. Key will, too, Right, Bumie?”

The latter rolled his eyes and flipped his imaginary long hair. “Ne. But I will only call because Eomma said so, understood So Eunie?

At this Mrs. Kim laughed. So Eun felt an arm s around her waist that made her almost jump. He smiled at her, his eyes disappearing. “Aunt, we have to go or else she’ll be late for the flight.”

So Eun checked her wrist watch, a small “o” forming . “We’re going now, Eomma. Yun Jae’s asleep, just let him be. Junho will be here tomorrow to take him, he just have a lot to work on tonight, I’m sorry about that.” They exchanged hugs for seconds and her mother said it was okay; she understood. Then they bid goodbyes and after they settled in the car, they finally left and made their way to the airport.

 

 

 

 

“I swear Kim So Eun, if you don’t come back soon, I’ll fly all the way to New York and take you home.” He whispered to her. “And never will I let you get back to work.”

“That’s so selfish of you!” she smacked his arm and hugged him back afterwards. They couldn’t seem to let go of each other.

Key, on the other hand, was cringing right beside them. He felt like throwing up already. They had been all over each other for the past minutes that he just badly want to throw himself on the plane and leave.

When finally they were called to check in, they hugged each other one last time. He cheekily smiled at her as he watched them leave.

 

 

Junho promised himself that when they come back, he would make sure to fix everything and find out what the letter was about that So Eun mentioned. Also, he would make sure that Yun Jae and she will never be away from him – for the rest of their lives. A stupid smile slowly spread across his face, with that he turned to leave and drove home, looking like a fool with whatever had come up his head.

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: finally! Hehehe I hope this made you understand the whole Ji Yeon-Junho thing. Sorry for bringing her up again in this chapter, you know they can't be happy just yet! Lol i'm not being evil... Junho has to understand how So Eun had felt all throughout those years they were apart and how it was hard for her to bear seeing Ji Yeon again. You know what she's done and Junho doesn't even have a clue, that idiot! *scratches head* anyways, I hope this one isn't too disappointing. Also, this ff may have reached its end... soo.... *spoilers alert* i'll shut up first :) thanks for reading! I do look forward to hearing your feedbacks :)

- Bee