Chapter 12

BE WITH YOU

 

 

Another chapter for you. Enjoy!

 

Note: Red text is conversation in english.

 

 

 

Chapter 12

 

 

(Sunday Morning)

 

 

 

Because of what happened yesterday, So Eun had a hard time sleeping and got up early while everyone was still slumbered.

 

 

She headed to the kitchen to have her cup of coffee. It's only six in the morning. Yesterday, after letting Junho know about their son, she thought she could have died. But when she saw how it made his son happy, she felt guilty for not telling him anything about his father. 

 

 

"Good morning, Eomma." greeted So Eun at her mother who was startled after seeing her daughter sitting there alone as she went into the kitchen. 

 

 

"So Eun-ah, you almost gave me a heart attack. You woke up early, huh. I bet you didn't get to sleep well." Mrs. Kim walked towards her and kissed her on the temple.

 

 

She smiled behind her cup of coffee and said, "I just couldn't sleep well."

 

 

Mrs. Kim sat across her and rested her arms over the table, "Because you're worried about something." 

 

 

So Eun's smile faded. And she took a sip at her coffee, "I wonder what if one day, when Yun Jae wakes up and he would say that he wanted to have a happy family. What would I do if I couldn't give him the only thing he ever wanted?"

 

Her mother covered her daughter's hand with her palm and smiled, "So Eun-ah, you can lie to yourself but not to me. I knew how much you wanted to give that to him. You just can't because you don't want to. Give yourself another chance." then Mrs. Kim stood up. "Your Appa will be home today. His business trip in Macau was over. He even asked me what Yun Jae wants when he called the other day."

 

 

"Yun Jae would be glad if he finds out that his harebeoji will be home soon. Appa should just stay here with you." So Eun yelled so her mother who was making her way out of the kitchen could hear her.

 

 

"You know he doesn't want to just sit here!" Mrs. Kim yelled back.

 

 

So Eun smiled at the thought how her mother got used being alone at home often. If they were not home, only her mother and their housemaid were left. Then she thought about what her mother had said, "Give yourself another chance." 

 

 

She finished her cup of coffee and went to Yun Jae's room. He was still curled up with his blanket. So Eun lay down beside his son and hugged him. His face cuddled at her neck.

 

 

She muses about what her mother told her and closed her eyes till she fell asleep, again.
 


--



She was awaken by the sun light from the room's window on her face. As soon as she opened her eyes, she stretched her arms and felt that Yun Jae was already out of the bed.

 

So Eun heaved her body out from her son's bed and went downstairs. 
 


 

At the kitchen, he saw Yun Jae eating his breakfast happily with his Halmoni, Uncle Key and another familiar face.

 

 

"Good morning, Eomma!" Yun Jae ran into her.

 

 

She pinched him on the nose and greeted back. Then they walked to their seats. "So, how's your business trip Mr. Kim?" she asked her father as she kissed him on the cheek.

 

 

Mr. Kim chortled and answered, "Well, it wasn't fun since I had to go there for work. Next time, I will bring your mom and Yun Jae with me."

 

 

"Harebeoji, just bring Halmoni with you. Appa will bring me to a trip and Omma too." Yun Jae excitedly said then gulped in his glass of milk.

 

 

"What did you say? Your Appa?" he gave So Eun and his wife a jagged look. "Did I miss something while I was in Macau?"

 

 

"Ne, harebeoji. I met my Appa." Yun Jae smiled.

 

 

So Eun swallowed and looked at Yun Jae who seems so happy, playing his grandma's chopsticks. While Mrs. Kim signaled his husband to talk about it later out of their grandson's sight.

 

 

"Honey, stop playing with the chopsticks. Finish your milk first." So Eun raised a brow at her son who nodded and followed what she instructed him.

 

 

After breakfast, Mrs. Kim explained to her husband about the things that happened while he was gone. He hated Junho when he found out that his daughter got pregnant and that he wasn't there to support her. But Mrs. Kim continued explaining so he could understand. At first, he didn't agree with it but realized that it was also time to let him know. 

 

 

"I'm a father, too. I wouldn't want my child to grow up without him knowing that he has a father." Mr. Kim commented when he finally understood what his wife was trying to say.
 


~
 


 

 

So Eun's phone rang but there wasn't a name on the caller ID. She hesitated to answer the first two rings then answered at the third.

 

 

"Yeoboseyo?" she said.

 

 

"Hello, this is Junho."

 

 

At first she was shocked upon hearing the name then asked coldly, "What do you need?"

 

 

"Ms. Kim, is it a bad time to call?" he teased.

 

 

"No. Just tell me what you need." 

 

 

"I need you... To let Yun Jae come out with me today. My mom wants to meet him too, so I guess we should start settling our agreement" the person on the other line demanded. His manly voice makes her heart skipped a beat. She didn't say a word for almost half a second.

 

 

"Ms. Kim? Are you still there?" 

 

 

"Ne. I understand. I'll tell Yun Jae about this. I'm sure he'll get excited." she calmed her nerves.

 

 

Junho chuckled and said, "What about you? Aren't you excited?"

 

 

"Why would I be?" 

 

 

He hissed at her answer. "Better get ready. I'll be there in an hour." then he hang up.

 

 

How did he get her number? It doesn't matter anymore. They were working together, it's not impossible for him to have it. She almost gave in but restrained herself after hearing his voice. That was the first time they talked again over the phone. The effects he had on her before didn't change. She still has it on her. However, she couldn't let him distract her. And her decision is final. 
 


~



"Eomma, where will Appa take us?" Yun Jae curiously asked while they were waiting for his father. They were at So Eun's room.

 

 

He was watching his mother while brushing her hair. She was sitting at the stool in front of her dresser, "I don't know, honey. We'll find out soon." she responded.

 

 

"Eomma, aren't you happy?" Yun Jae stood beside her.

 

 

She smiled and faced him. Then she took his hands and clasped it with hers, "Of course I am, as long as my Yun Jae is happy." 

 

 

Yun Jae let go to hug her. "I want you to be happy, Eomma. I wish I could give it to you, too." he whispered.

 

 

So Eun carressed the back of her son's hair and smiled with a teary eyes, "Yun Jae is enough for Eomma to be happy."

 

 

A loud honk barged in. Yun Jae was excited so he pulled his mother up and went downstairs. 

 

 

Junho came just in time. He went inside the Kim's house and asked So Eun's parents for their permission. Mr. Kim didn't want to talk to him at the beginning but felt sympathy so he let his grandson spend the day with him.

 

 

"Appa!" Yun Jae shouted as soon as he saw his father. As soon as they stoop down at the last step of the stairs. Junho carried him excitedly too. Then turned to So Eun, "Shall we?"

 

 

So Eun ignored him and went outside after bidding goodbye to her parents.
 


--
 


Junho settled Yun Jae at the back seat of car while So Eun didn't wait for him open the door for her sat down in the passenger seat. Junho shook his head and turned to the driver's seat. He started and drove off.

 

 

"Appa, where are we going?" Yun Jae asked his father

 

 

"Where do you want to go?" Junho asked back as he looked at his son in the rearview mirror.

 

 

Yun Jae thought for a while, "I want to go to the amusement park."

 

 

Junho chuckled, "Araseo! Your wish is my command."

 

 

"Yehey!" Yun Jae exclaimed excitedly. 

 

 

"Are you that excited?" Junho asked. He was touched to see that his son was excited to spend time with him. But his expression changed upon seeing So Eun who was quietly sitting beside him. She was staring outside the window.

 

 

Though he's clueless about what's running on her mind, he just let her that way. Then he looked at Yun Jae again in the rearview and said, "Yun Jae-ah, later you're going to meet your grandparents."

 

 

"Really?! Your Eomma and Appa?" He asked enthusiastically. 

 

 

Junho laughed, "Yes."

 

 

Yun Jae turned to his mom and asked in an excited voice, "Eomma, did you hear that? I'm going to meet my other grandparents."

 

 

So Eun smiled at his son and spoke for the first time, "Yes, honey. But you have to behave because I'm not coming with you."

 

 

Junho, upon hearing her answer asked, "You're not coming?"

 

 

"No. I'm giving this time to you so you can spend it with him and your parents." So Eun answered without even looking at him.

 

 

The whole drive was spent in silent except for Yun Jae who was still full of energy. He kept asking all sorts of questions like, why the sky is blue or why the clouds look like cotton. 

 

 

After a long hour of driving, they arrived at the amusement park. 

 

 

So Eun got off the car first and opened Yun Jae's door, "Let's go, honey." she said while reaching for his hand.

 

 

They walked hand in hand with his mother on his right and his father on the left. 

 

 

Once they were inside the amusement park, Yun Jae let go of their hands and ran around.

 

 

"Honey, be careful. You might trip." So Eun yelled.

 

 

"Let him. He's just excited." Junho interjected.

 

 

"I know. I'm just telling him to be careful." She reasoned out.

 

 

 

Junho chuckled, "Our Yun Jae is a man. He should learn to take care of himself."

 

 

"Yun Jae is just five years old, how can you tell me to let him take care of his self?" So Eun's eyes bulged in disbelief.

 

 

Junho laughed and she rolled her eyes at him. Before she can retort at him, Yun Jae came back, "Eomma, Appa, can I ride the carousel?" 

 

 

So Eun pinched his nose and smiled, "Of course, honey." 

 

 

"Let's go." Yun Jae pulled both of their hands and they walked towards where the carousel was. They let Yun Jae went inside alone and ride on it. While both of them stayed on the railings beside the carousel as they watched Yun Jae enjoying the ride. 

 

 

"Tell me more about Yun Jae." Junho said as he glanced at her.

 

 

"What do you want to know about him?" she asked back.

 

 

"Everything about him…"

 

 

So Eun smiled, the first time when she met Junho again, "Well, he loves pearl milk tea and ice cream, it can make change his mood. He loves to eat fruit loops cereal for breakfast and blueberry cheesecake, he hates to eat sour and spicy food. He loves to draw; he likes to watch cartoons like Pheaneas and Ferb, Tom and Jerry, and many more. He also loves to play video games. And when he is sulking and in bad mood, all you have to do is pinch his nose and that will make him feel good. In bed time, you have to lightly rub his brows until he falls asleep. And you won't believe it, our son always carry sticks and used it as if its drumsticks and he has a good singing voice." She narrated animatedly.

 

 

Junho felt elated at the word "OUR SON" which came from . The smile on her face made him almost shiver. He watched her stare at Yun Jae happily. He really is her life and that was strongly shown.

 

 

"Eomma!" Yun Jae shouted as he ran into So Eun. 

 

 

She bended and asked, "Did you enjoy your first ride?" 

 

 

He nodded and pointed to another ride. "Let's go there Eomma!"

 

 

So Eun and Junho took him to wherever he wants to go. After one ride, Yun Jae would ask them to take him to another ride. He surely was enjoying the moment with his parents. Then, they'd walk together and drop by to each toy store they would pass by. Yun Jae either enjoys going for a ride or just walking around with his parents. 

 

 

Like his parents, Yun Jae's smile didn't leave his face. Though they were not talking too much with each other, happiness was marked on their faces. 

 

 

The three continued walking gleefully. Until Yun Jae felt that he was starving. "Eomma, I'm hungry." he held his stomach and pouted.

 

 

So Eun chortled, "Okay honey. Let's have something to eat. What do you want for lunch?" 

 

 

Yun Jae thought deeply at first then said, "I want to eat pasta."

 

 

"Okay. But let's change your shirt first." So Eun took out his extra shirt from his small bag. 

 

 

"Eomma, I don't want to change here." he complained after learning that his Mom's going to take off his shirt in front of many people.

 

 

Junho and So Eun laughed. Then his father spoke, "I'll take you to the comfort room. Let's go!" and grabbed his hand.

 

 

After changing his shirt, they headed to an Italian restaurant inside the park. So Eun ordered carbonara for Yun Jae and lasagna for her. While Junho ordered sea food pasta.

 

 

Yun Jae was sitting in between his mother and his father. But because he still couldn't eat by himself, his mother had to help him with his food. She would even feed him. 

 

 

Junho was seeing the way she took care of their son. He was just staring at the mother-son with a smile. He's already contented just by looking at them.

 

 

So Eun felt his eyes on them, she looked and met his eyes.

 

 

"What?" She asked him as she wiped Yun Jae's mouth.

 

 

Junho didn't answer and just shrugged his shoulders and started to eat. So Eun rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to Yun Jae and to her food.

 

 

After eating, Yun Jae was still as hyperactive, trying almost every ride in the amusement park and all the games inside. He even dragged his father to play with him and they've won several prizes including a big stuffed toy. So Eun was just following the father and son behind. 

 

 

Around five o'clock in the afternoon when Yun Jae seated on the lap of his mother, "Honey, do you want to eat something for snack?" So Eun asked Yun Jae, his head leaning on her shoulder. Yun Jae didn't answer and budge. So Eun chuckled, Yun Jae had fallen asleep. She lightly caressed his hair and hugged him tight.

 

 

Junho, who came from buying snacks smiled at the sight. He seated beside So Eun, "So, the little boy got so tired." he laughed. "Is he really this hyperactive?

 

 

She nodded, "Not really but this is the first time that he fell asleep while still playing and without eating snacks. I guess he's really tired." she responded as she kissed his cheek lightly.

 

 

Junho grinned and said, "Then, why don't we go home now?"

 

 

"I really think we should." So Eun tried to stand but Junho insisted to carry Yun Jae for her. 

 

 

His hands brushed her arms as he scooped Yun Jae from her then accidentally their eyes met. Junho, after hearing the beating of his heart, quickly take his gaze off her and stood straight with Yun Jae on his arms.

 

 

When they reached the parking lot, So Eun helped him settle their son at the back seat then instantly got in beside the driver's seat before Junho could open the door for her. 

 

 

The drive along their homes went smooth and as they hit on the road, So Eun remained silent. But not until she heard Junho coughed minute by minute, so she glanced at him and got worried at the person beside her looks feverish compared to a while ago.

 

 

"Stop staring at me." Junho suddenly spoke.

 

 

So Eun's phone suddenly rings so she quickly turned her head and took out her phone. It was an overseas call so she picked it up urgently.

 

 

"Hello?" she said, "Yes, this is Kim So Eun speaking. Is there anything that you need?"
"Yeah, yeah."


 

 

Junho stopped the car and intruded but she ignored him and continued, "Okay just let me know as early as possible. By the way, my assistant Key will send you the details about it. I’m asking an apology in advance because I'm still here in Seoul to finish my contract. Hope you’ll consider and bear with me."

 

 

Junho who was gritting his teeth tapped his steering wheel loudly and that startled her.

 

 

"Yes, thank you. Please wait for my call. Goodbye for now." So Eun dropped the call and faced him. She pursed her lips and rebuked, "What's your problem Lee Junho?

 

 

"We both know why we went out today. And you're talking with somebody else?" he faced her this time.

 

 

She bit her lower lip and breathed heavily, "Somebody else? Ya! I just had a conversation with an important client overseas!" she argued.

 

 

"Important? Do you know what's important? Our son is the most important thing right now! Why don't we just settle the agreement so you can go back to that phone call?!" he almost yelled.

 

 

It was totally annoying, having a conversation on the phone while someone beside you was abruptly trying to make you drop the call. But she still managed to calm herself, "I don't have time for this because there's no need for me to explain myself. But are you trying to teach me what does importance means? Of course, my son is the most important thing to me! All my life, he's the only reason why I'm doing everything I can to make him happy."

 

 

He stiffened his face. Though feeling unwell, he muffled it and continued with his real intentions. "My turn to make him happy, then. I only have two things to say." he let go off the steering wheel and budged closer to her. 

 

 

She looked straight at the front window and asked, "So, what do you want?"

 

 

"First, I just want him to use my surname." So Eun was about to protest but he beat her, "You know very well that he is a LEE. And he has the right to use it."

 

 

So Eun took a deep breath to control herself, "Fine! We'll have to go through legal process to do that." 

 

 

"I'll take care of it. I'll talk to our lawyer about it." Junho paused for a moment and looked at So Eun who was just staring blankly.

 

 

"What is the other thing?" she asked in a cold voice.

 

 

"I want to spend more time with him anytime I want." Junho demanded.

 

 

So Eun took another deep breath and said, "That would not be a problem. I'm sure Yun Jae will be delighted to spend more time with you."

 

 

"What about you?" he asked as he leaned his face closer to her, "Don't you want to spend time with me? Like we always did back then"

 

 

Upon hearing what he said, she suddenly turned her head to look at him only to see his face inches away from her. She could feel his warm breath on her face and could smell the manly scent coming from him. Her heart was beating loudly that she thought it would burst out of her chest. His closeness, his breath, his scent... It was too much for her to handle. 

 

 

They stayed in that position but for how long? It didn't matter to them. His lips seem inviting that he couldn't resist her anymore. Then the next thing he think of doing was to give her a kiss, but not until she uttered softly, "Don't be too confident. Why would I spend my time with you? You know I came here for work and that makes me a busy person."

 

 

"Eomma!" Yun Jae called while rubbing his eyes. With that, Junho leaned back to his seat then started driving off.

 

 

So Eun turned to their son and asked, "Did you sleep well, honey?" sneaking through the head rest.

 

 

"Yes. Mom, I'm hungry." he whined and pouted. (English)

 

 

She chortled and told him to wait for a bit. 

 

 

"Halmoni is waiting for you at home with Harebeoji. I told her to prepare our favorite Spicy Braised Chicken and Potatoes." Junho interjected.

 

 

"Spicy? But I don't like it to be spicy." Yun Jae complained still pouting his lips.

 

 

Junho chuckled, "Don't worry son, the spicy one is for Appa only." 

 

 

"Wow! I can't wait to meet my Halmoni and Harebeoji." Yun Jae exclaimed and turned to his mother, "Eomma, aren't you really coming with us? Don't you want to meet my grandparents?" he asked innocently.

 

 

She glanced at Junho but he just have her a smug smile and just shrugged her shoulders. She turned back to Yun Jae and answered, "Honey, I already met them. They are friends with my Eomma and Appa."

 

 

"Jeongmalyo?!" he asked excitedly.

 

 

After a few minutes they reached Kim's residence and So Eun was about to open the door when she noticed Yun Jae sulking. His arms crossed over his chest and lips still pouting. 

 

 

So Eun smiled and said, "Honey, come here." Yun Jae went to her and seated on her lap. She pinched his nose and tried to pursue him, "I can't come with you today but we'll see each other tomorrow. You have to be with your Appa tonight. Aren't you excited to see your Halmoni and Harebeoji? They wanted to meet you so you have to go there." So Eun explained.

 

 

Yun Jae just nodded. "I understand, Eomma." 

 

 

"That's my boy. Now you have to be a good boy and don't give them head ache, okay?" she gives him a kiss on his cheek and hugged him tightly.

 

 

Junho watched them and think about how much she loves their son. 

 

 

So Eun turned to Junho and reminded him about Yun Jae, "Anyway, all his stuffs are in the bag. Don't forget the things I told you a while ago. And please always look after him."

 

 

"You don't need to tell me that. Of course I'll take care of him." he answered nonchalantly. 

 

 

Yun Jae gave way to his mother so she could get off the car. But before leaving she kissed him on his cheek, "Bye honey, see you tomorrow." and buckled his seat belt.

 

 

Then the father and son left.
 

 


--
 


 

LEE RESIDENCE
 

 


Junho parked his car inside their garage. His mother and father were already waiting, excitement written all over their faces.

 

 

Junho got off the car and went to Yun Jae's side and held his hand. They walked towards his mother and father.

 

 

"Eomma, Appa, I would like you to meet my son, Yun Jae. Son, these are your Halmoni and Harebeoji." Junho started.

 

 

"Annyeong haseyo, Halmoni, Harebeoji. I'm Yun Jae." Yun Jae greeted his grandparents and bowed politely at them.

 

 

"Omo! My grandson, come here sweetheart." Mrs. Lee exclaimed. Yun Jae looked at Junho for a while. Junho smiled and nod at him. Yun Jae walked towards his grandmother. Mrs. Lee hugged Yun Jae tightly as tears fell down on her face.

 

 

"Yun Jae-ah, I'm your Halmoni."

 

 

"Nice to meet you, Halmoni" Yun Jae said. As soon as his grandmother let him go, he said, "Halmoni, you look so lovely." he held her face with two little hands and asked, "Why are you crying? Did Yun Jae do something bad to you?" he asked worriedly.

 

They all laughed at his wittiness. 

 

 

Mrs. Lee shook her head, "Aniya, Halmoni is just happy to finally meet you."

 

 

"Then, please stop crying Halmoni. Yun Jae is already here." he said as he wiped the tears on his grandmother's face.

 

 

"Annyeong, Yun Jae. I'm your Harebeoji." Mr. Lee interjected.

 

 

"Nice to meet you, Harebeoji"

 

 

"Why don't we go inside? You're hungry, right?" Mrs. Lee said and held Yun Jae's hand and went inside the house.

 

 

Junho and his father followed. His father looked at him, "Junho-ah, are you alright? You don't look good. Are you sick?"

 

 

"This is nothing, Appa. I'm just tired." he answered and coughed a little.

 

 

"Okay then, let's eat so that you can rest." 
 

 


--
 

 


 

Yun Jae was already sleeping on his bed. His parents had a great time with his son. He's really a smart kid and he can't deny that So Eun did a good job in raising their son alone. 

 

 

Thinking of So Eun, he can't help but remember what happened a while ago. He was just meant to but as he was closer to her face, smelling her familiar scent, looking at her beautiful face, he really had the urge to kiss her. 
 


 

Flashback:

 

"Don't be too confident. Why would I spend my time with you? You know I came here for work and that makes me a busy person."

 

End of flashback

 

 

He shook his head and chuckled at the thought. She is not the So Eun he used to know and love.

 

 

"Used to love? Ya, Lee Junho admit it or not, you STILL love her. You're just too hypocrite to admit it." 

 

 

Yes, he still loves her. He is not sure if she feels the same way, but he promised that he will do everything to make her love him again, whatever it takes. 

 

 

The thought made him smile. But he already felt the drowsiness must be the effect of the medicine. Knowing that he's not feeling well, he settled his self on the sofa bed instead of sleeping beside his son. Though he loves to sleep beside him, he will not risk his health. 

 

 

"We have all the time in world. I promise that we will sleep beside each other for the rest of our lives. Not only with Yun Jae, but with you also, My Sunshine." with that thought, he fell asleep with a smile on his face.
 


--

 

A/N: What do you think of their "Family Day"? Don't you love Junho's teasing? I don't know to you guys, but I just love how he always teased So Eun. 

 

Comments are well appreciated. Thanks for reading.