Step Nine- Find out the result

Little Steps [currently editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

  Little Steps

Step Nine- Find out the result

 

 

 

"So, what are you kids talking about?" Hyukjae asked as he chews on his spaghetti.




"Nothing much. My new friend and I were just talking about SNSD, right new friend?" Sandeul smiled at Hyukjae and turned to look at his new friend only to frown at what he saw.




"You okay, new friend?" Sandeul asked when he noticed that Baro was not really paying attention to them and was looking around.





"I’m fine, new friend. It’s just that..." Baro dragged on, holding his nape when he felt something cold and sticky hitting it once again. He looked around one more time, looking for the culprit but saw no one suspicious enough to be the suspect. "Never mind, I’m fine." Baro just shrugged, thinking that the childish person who is doing that to him will get tired soon.




Their talk was suddenly interrupted when Kyuhyun and Yesung approached them, saying that they're just going to the hospital and will be back in a few to pick them up again.




"So, kids, what is DDSD?" Hyukjae asked again, genuinely curious about what the kid was talking about. He saw how the two laughed and giggled to themselves while talking about it. Their topic seems interesting.




The thing that he didn't expect was the scandalous look that the two kids were giving to him. Did he ask something wrong?




"Its SNSD hyung! S.N.S.D! Not DDSD!" Baro almost shouted as he felt offended on how Hyukjae called his goddesses.




"Oh. Oh, sorry my bad. Hehe." Hyukjae chuckled awkwardly as he scratches the back of his neck. "So what is SNSD?"




Hyukjae almost shivered at the judging look that Sandeul and Baro were sending at his direction.




"Monkey dude, in what cave are you living right now? You seriously don't know who SNSD is?"




Hyukjae shook his head.




"SNSD dude! SNSD! Sonyoshide? You didn't know?" Sandeul asked again.




Another head shake from Hyukjae.




"GIRL'S GENERATION hyung! GG?" Baro exclaimed.




Hyukjae still looks like a lost puppy.




"Gee, Genie, The boys!" Baro asked again, saying the girl group's hit songs.




Hyukjae blinked.




"Nine goddesses?" Baro tried again.




Another blink.




"Dude! Why are you like that? Why didn’t you know SNSD? They are so popular. Oh my God! You and daddy are such a loser. That is so not cool, monkey dude. You should listen to them!" Sandeul fumed. Hyukjae thinks that Sandeul is hanging out with Yesung too much lately.





"I'm sorry that I’m too busy being a cool rock star." Hyukjae huffed, defending himself. "But we can talk about S.E.S and Baby V.O.X and maybe H.O.T too, if you want. I know a lot of things about them." The child at heart suggested afterwards, only to be greeted with a blank look from Sandeul and Baro.




"Who?" Both of them asked.




"Oh never mind." Hyukjae dismissed while sighing. The two continue on discussing about their so called 'goddesses'. Hyukjae swears that he's never been out of place in his entire life just like now, and it's all because of two kids. He suddenly felt like he's some kind of third wheel right now. Why did Kyuhyun and Yesung leave him alone with the kids?




"You really don't know them hyung? How about Tinkerbell? You don’t know it?" Baro asked again after a while, still not giving up on his new found hyung.




"Tinkerbell?" Hyukjae's face suddenly brightens up. "I know that song!"




Baro beamed at him, the kid was actually expecting Hyukjae to say that tinker bell is peter pan's friend.




"I thought it was BOA who sing that song." Baro face palmed. "The song goes like this right?" Hyukjae cleared his throat, put his left hand on his left ear, raised his right hand and closed his eyes. “I'll be your Tinkerbell in the sky~” he sang in a high pitched voice making the two kids cringed at the sound it made.




Baro somewhat regretted that he asked again.





"It’s a good thing that you are a rock star, monkey dude. You are the best drummer ever." Sandeul said, patting Hyukjae on his back.
And Baro also noticed that there’s no more sticky, unknown object hitting his nape again since Kyuhyun and Yesung left.



 

 

--------------
 


"Aigoo, Teukkie ah. You almost gave me a heart attack when you fainted a while ago. What happened anyway?" Kyuhyun and Yesung can't help but to eavesdrop on the couple who was passing them, though no one can really blame them from eavesdropping since the two old couple was talking in a rather loud voice.





Yesung and Kyuhyun were now currently sitting outside Mr. Park's office, waiting for the old doctor to finish his current appointment.





"Our baby is going home today! You didn't know?" The ahjumma exclaimed when he saw her husband looking cluelessly at her. "Oh my god, what kind of father and husband are you? Our baby is now back in Korea, meaning that I, your wife and probably your nephew and grandson will die soon in that bunny's hand."





Yesung and Kyuhyun can't help but to wince and pity the battered husband when his wife began to assault him.




"Poor thing." Kyuhyun commented as he watched the funny yet pitying scene.




"What does their son look like that they have to be that scared of him?" Yesung mused.




Kyuhyun shrugged. "Must be a wild one."



 

 

***

 


"Kyuhyun ah, you can go in now." They both heard when the door opened and the previous patient left the room.




"Kyuhyunnie, you ready for the result?" The doctor smiled at him, asking for them to sit down but the maknae refused.




"I'm really in a hurry, Dr. Park. Can you give it to me now?" Kyuhyun asked impatiently as he keeps shifting on his feet.




"As impatient as ever." The old man , rummaging through his drawers to get the envelope where the results of the DNA are.





"You can’t blame me, old man. I've been anxiously waiting for the result since the day we took it." Kyuhyun told him as he eagerly snatched the envelope from the doctor's hand.





"Are you going to look at it now?" Yesung asked who was now standing beside Kyuhyun, the latter just stared at him blankly.





"You're nervous aren't you? ~" Yesung poked the younger on his cheek as he decided to .




Kyuhyun glared at him. "Of course I am, this result is like a matter of life and death to me." He hissed.





"Well, of course I already know the result. I’m not really sure if you're going to like it or not. I just hope you can accept it soon." The doctor patted Kyuhyun on his back. "Now off you go young men. I still have another appointment."



 

 

***






"Open it now." Yesung said when the both of them were already inside his car.





Kyuhyun looked down at the envelope he was holding and turned to Yesung. "Hyung, what if... What if, if I open it now and found out that Sandeul is not really mine? What am I going to do?" Kyuhyun mumbled, voicing out his dilemma for the first time.




"So you want the result to be positive then?"




"Well..."




"Well?"




"I’m not really sure..."




"You just have to choose between yes or no, you know."





Kyuhyun was silent for a few seconds before he mumbled a silent, "No?"





Yesung snapped his head towards Kyuhyun, confusion and anger showing in his eyes. He thought that Kyuhyun had been already close with Sandeul. He thought that the two of them were getting along well now. He thought that Kyuhyun already accepted Sandeul as his son. So why did Kyuhyun say no? He was about to confront Kyuhyun but the maknae spoke first before he could.





"I don't want the DNA result to be positive because I don't want to be a bad daddy to Sandeul. I don't know how to take care of a child. I barely managed to survive these past few days with him and it's all because of you and the other's help. I’m not a responsible person, I can’t even take care of myself, you of all people knew that. Yes I can provide him anything, anything that can be bought by money and that's pretty much all I can give to him. I will just be a bad father to Sandeul.” Kyuhyun admitted in a sad and small voice.





"Kyuhyun-ah, why are you saying that? You've been a good father to Sandeul these past few days. That kid loves you so much, Kyuhyun. Sandeul doesn't care about your flaws. You've seen how stubborn he was because he wanted to be close to you and get your love despite of your imperfections, right? He did everything to get your affection even though you are also as stubborn as he is, to not pay attention to him. Sandeul loves his brat and stubborn daddy so you don’t have to worry." Yesung ranted, really disappointed at Kyuhyun right now.





Kyuhyun sighed. "I know hyung. I know. That's why I want to say yes more to your question." Kyuhyun said with a shy smile.





"The kid had effectively managed to crawl his way into my life. Sandeul successfully got my affection. I’m really shy to say this, but I’ve already grown attached to him. He's been with me for only a few days and somehow, somehow in that short span of time, I already started to love him. I already love Sandeul as my son, hyung. That kid is really easy to love." Kyuhyun confessed, looking really timid as he turned to Yesung. He is really shy right now for confessing those things to Yesung, but he can also feel a big weight lifted from his chest for being honest. “You know what I'm talking about, right?"





Yesung who was disappointed a while ago can't help but to punch Kyuhyun on his shoulder. "Kyuhyun! I thought you didn't like baby dude anymore! And of course I know what you are talking about. Who wouldn't love our baby dude? That kid is too precious not to love." Yesung all but shrieked but was relieved nevertheless at Kyuhyun's honest answer. He leaned closer to the vocalist and snatched the envelope from his hand.





"Your fault for not letting me finish my dramatic monologue before you reacted. Now, no more drama because we are rock stars. And give that back to me!" Kyuhyun said while snatching the envelope back.





"No. We are going to pick the others first and we are going to open this with baby dude. I want to see your reactions when we read the result."





"But that will make me more restless. I've waited long enough hyung. Take pity on me." He paused. "And why are you saying that as if you already know what the result will be?" Kyuhyun eyed him suspiciously.





Yesung smiled at him mysteriously. "How would I know?"





"I don't know. You're weird. Now give me that!" Kyuhyun said, grabbing the envelope again but failed when Yesung put it under his and sit on it.




"Later dude, don't be too excited." Yesung said and started the car to pick up Hyukjae and the two kids.



 

 

------------





"And this, my new friend..." Sandeul spread his arms in front of Kyuhyun's fridge while talking to Baro. "...Is my favorite place in my daddy's apartment." He said proudly, nodding to himself.




"I know." Baro deadpanned. "It’s kind of obvious actually." He added while giving Sandeul a look from head to foot.




"My new friend is so smart." Sandeul said with glee and pulled Baro towards the living room where the others are waiting.





"When are they going to finish the tour inside my apartment?" Kyuhyun hissed as he eyed the two kids, eyeing Sandeul and Baro's clasped hands to be exact. "Why is that kid with colorful hair with us anyway?"




Kyuhyun has once again raised his eyebrows a while ago when Sandeul immediately pulled Baro inside his apartment and gave Baro a tour. He's been itching to find out the result already. And now it's been interrupted again because of that little tour. Why is Sandeul giving Baro a tour anyway? It’s not like Baro will come and visit them again. He won't.





"You're being bitter again, Kyu." Hyukjae reprimanded him. "Baro said that his Umma won't be home until 8pm because of work. He will be alone in their house again if we dropped him home now. Have a heart will you?"





Kyuhyun snorted at that. ‘He's just trying to act pitiful.' He thought to himself.




"And here, yes here, is the exact same spot where I almost broke my nose when I tripped. And that was on my first day on my daddy's apartment." Sandeul's voice echoed inside the room, pointing at the carpet for Baro (who is not really interested at all) to see. "Well I guess that's all for now. Let's go sit, my new friend."





"Finally!" Kyuhyun exclaimed when Sandeul and Baro had finally taken their seat, earning weird looks from both kids.





"Junghwannie, is your daddy okay?" Baron whispered in Sandeul's ear.





"Hey new friend, don't call me Junghwannie! Call me Sandeul. And yes he's fine. Daddy is just being his normal self." Sandeul shrugged. "He's just really anxious to find out the result of the DNA test. The one I told you a while ago." Sandeul told Baro all of things about his life, including the truth about his complicated family, when they were in the restaurant. He told Baro about those things because he trusted him… and maybe because he's a little blabber mouth, a trait which he probably got from his grandma. Despite the strangeness of it all, Baro didn’t find Sandeul’s life weird at all, and that makes Sandeul happy.





Baro nodded. "I'll stop calling you that if you stop calling me Mr. Cotton Candy and new friend. Call me Baro, Cha Baro."





"Shut up, Sunwoonie. The drama is about to start soon, let's just watch okay? It’ll be the best drama you'll ever see and you can only watch it here, so watch closely." Sandeul shut him up and pointed in Kyuhyun's direction.





Sandeul considers his life like a big sitcom.





"Yesung hyung, read the result now. Like right now! No more interruptions please. I’m going to die of curiousness soon." Kyuhyun shouted. Yesung hold a small hand in front of Kyuhyun’s face to stop him from saying more.




"Sit down, relax and go get ready for a life changing event that will come to you any minute now." Yesung said seriously and pushed Kyuhyun to the couch so he could have a seat. He pulled the envelope from inside his shirt where he hid it from Kyuhyun, and cleared his throat as he opened it. "Here we go." He said before scanning the paper. Everyone inside the apartment went silent, including Baro. Everyone was really anticipating for the result.





The color on Kyuhyun's face drained when he saw Yesung furrowed his eyebrows.





'Please not a bad news. Please, please, please.' Kyuhyun chanted inside his head, hands clasped together as if praying.





"I'm sorry but..." Yesung dragged on, looking confused as he stared at the papers.




Kyuhyun's held his breath, could it be? Does it say that Sandeul is not his son? Is that why Yesung looked like that?





"What is it hyung?" Hyukjae who is not fond of suspense asked, impatient as Kyuhyun.





"I'm sorry but..." Yesung repeated and turned to look at Kyuhyun. "Why is this in English? I can't understand a thing. I think we got the wrong envelope." He said while scratching his head in confusion, earning a flying shoe from Sandeul. Baro just watched in amusement.





Kyuhyun felt like crying right now. Why is his hyung so stupid?





"God hyung! I thought, I thought... I hate you, hyung!" Was all Kyuhyun could say that moment. He wanted to curse actually, but there were kids inside so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter