Ch. [11]

Never Too Late

Day 17. 

 

Hyukjae gasped softly as he heard his phone ringing and he got a little scared that the children would wake up from their nap. He looked up and sighed in relief when he noticed no one had even moved a little.  

 

He took out his phone and put it in silent mode before anything else, opening the new text from Kyuhyun. 'You would like this place, it's really colorful.' 

 

Hyukjae smiled for himself and shook his head. 'It would probably give me a headache.' 

 

The next message didn't take even a minute to come and Hyukjae looked at his watch. According to him, the showcase Kyuhyun was going to be on had already begun or it was in the process. 'It's all cuteness here! Henry would hate it!' 

 

'You should be focusing on the broadcastingKyu. Go out and make them happy.' Hyukjae had just sent the text when just a second later the next one came. 

 

'Ok!' The next one came in almost immediately. 'I'll call you later!' 

 

Hyukjae wanted to giggle for himself. Kyuhyun was so excited about the concert that he probably was typing in light speed. He took his sweet time in answering to that one last text. 'Good luck, Kyu!' 

 

Slowly, the children were waking up and as it was expected, Henry was the last one. "Henry...," Hyukjae called, shaking the small body. The room was empty already, from all the parents that came to pick up their children already and Henry was the only one left. "Let's go home." 

 

Henry pouted in his sleep and shook his head, turning around and curling his body, ready to sleep a little more.  

 

"Henry...," Hyukjae frowned, poking Henry's ribs. "Stand up and walk to the car before I decide to leave you here." 

 

It took Henry only a minute to gather his few belongings and run to the car, just waving Minho goodbye.  

 

As soon as they reached home again, Henry went to his room and kept sleeping and Hyukjae went to the living room to grade some of the drawings he gave to the children, leaving notes for the parents to see.  

 

He couldn't advance as quick as he wished though, because Kyuhyun kept on sending texts and pictures of his day in and out the broadcast station. He laughed as Kyuhyun sent him a picture with one of the funniest mcs he knew and he loved the fact that Kyuhyun was also posing for the camera as if he was a clown. 'You should update that in your twitter account!' He had sent back and it didn't take even minutes for Kyuhyun to do as he was told.  

 

That night, Hyukjae had to work until late because Kyuhyun just didn't stop sending messages and he couldn't stop replying.  

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•  

 

Day 18. 

 

"Hey Hyuk~," Siwon greeted as he came into the house, bringing a cake and bags filled with sweets for Hyukjae and Henry.  

 

"Siwon, hello," Hyukjae greeted as well, helping the taller man with the bags and calling Henry to come and also greet the other.  

 

"Hyung!" Henry grinned widely, running and laughing loudly when Siwon pulled him up and hugged him. "Hyung! you're here!" 

 

Siwon grinned widely. "You're so precious, Henry," he said. "I'll adopt you." 

 

"You can't, I still have both parents and they love me~," Henry chanted. "Because I'm adorable and smart!" 

 

"And conceited," Hyukjae chuckled, shaking his head.  

 

"Just as his father," Siwon clicked his tongue. "Who by the way," he said, pulling Henry down. "He sent me to get a picture of you because he says he needs a picture now that he's in Japan." 

 

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow. "Huh?" 

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•  

 

Kyuhyun looked at his phone. It was already midday and he was expecting Siwon to send him that beautiful picture of Hyukjae and Henry. He grined as he saw the notification that Siwon had sent three pictures and he didn't lose a second to open them.  

 

"ing idiot," Kyuhyun groaned in annoyance. The pictures were supposed to be of Hyukjae and Henry and instead he received pictures of Siwon almost kissing Hyukjae's cheek and the other way around. And then one last picture of Henry and Hyukjae kissing both his cheeks. The caption said 'A beautiful family' and Kyuhyun felt his blood boiling just from the thought of it.  

 

He was about to reply when another picture came in. 'Now, the complete family," the caption said and when Kyuhyun opened it, he saw that not only Siwon was in there, hugging Hyukjae's shoulders, but that Minho had somehow arrived and was carrying Henry up.  

 

Kyuhyun had never pressed the call button so fast in his life. "Hello?" Siwon answered coolly, laughs could be heard from the other line. 

 

"What the do you think you're doing?" Kyuhyun asked, standing up and walking around the set for his upcoming concert.  

 

"You told me to come and take pictures, and look how good of a friend I am to do so," Siwon said and Kyuhyun was sure he was smiling smugly at him. "Hyuk just cooked for me!" 

 

"Look, Siwon," Kyuhyun massaged his temple. "I'll be there in a few days and I swear to god that if something happens until then, I'll kill you, take out your guts and wrap them around your neck before feeding the rest of your body to the dogs." 

 

There was a moment of complete silence. "Daddy, that's a little psychotic," Henry said.  

 

Kyuhyun groaned. "Henry, what are you doing? Unhear what I just said." 

 

"Kyuhyun, you do realize that's not even a verb, right?" Hyukjae asked. "You cannot 'unhear' things..." 

 

Kyuhyun hit his own forehead with his palm. "Hyuk, please, I'm trying to be cool right here." 

 

"Psychotic is the right word, daddy," Henry corrected. "You have never really been that cool... Minho hyung is, though. He just played with us! He is so strong daddy! He carried Siwon hyung around the living room!" 

 

It was the fact that Henry was talking about Minho what irked him the most. Kyuhyun ran his fingers through his hair and looked around. The rehearse would start soon and he didn't have time or energy to deal with it. "Can I just... talk to Hyuk? Alone?!" 

 

Kyuhyun could hear Hyukjae's soft laugh. "Yes?" he answered, and by the silence behind his voice, Kyuhyun inferred the other was already alone.  

 

"Hyuk, how have you been?" Kyuhyun asked, sighing softly. 

 

"We're fine, Kyuhyun. Just don't worry about us. How is the planning going? Aren't you excited?" Hyukjae asked happily. "I wish I could go to one of your concerts some day!" 

 

Kyuhyun smiled. "I'll take you to the next one," he promised. "You'll have exclusive seats with food and everything!" 

 

Hyukjae laughed softly. "No need for that," he said. "I'll buy my tickets as everyone else." 

 

"Why buying them when I can give them to you?" Kyuhyun asked, sitting down because his manager got distracted and he would still have a few minutes more to talk to Hyukjae"Anyway, Hyuk," he sighed softly. "I've been thinking a lot and- Kyuhyun, stand up already," Hyukjae laughed softly, listening to another man's voice and the groan that Kyuhyun emitted in annoyance.  

 

"Go rehearse and work, Kyuhyun, remember you make a living out of that," Hyukjae said 

 

Kyuhyun grunted and after a few curses under his breath, he finally sighed in defeat. "I'll go back home tomorrow Hyuk," he announced. "Can we like... go out and have dinner together?" 

 

Hyukjae stood silent for a few seconds before humming, smiling softly. "Of course, Kyu," he assured. "Just work hard, alright?" 

 

Kyuhyun grinned widely, now ignoring the yells his manager was directing at him. "Alright, I have to go now, tell Henry I love him!" He exclaimed before staying silent for just a fragment of a second. "Take care Hyuk...," he finally muttered. "Please take care..." 

 

Hyukjae hummed softly. "I will," he said soothingly. "Go already." 

 

Sighing loudly, Kyuhyun finally agreed and after a short goodbye greeting, he heard the line gone. He looked down at his phone and couldn't help but smile. He thought for a second to call Victoria, but truth was, that he was slowly changing and he noticed. "Kyuhyun!" his manager scolded and he looked at his phone one last second before saving it into his pocket.  

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•  

 

Day 19. 

 

"You seem to be enjoying that book a lot," Hyukjae commented, smiling as he saw Henry reading peacefully in the living room.  

 

"It's very interesting mommy," Henry said, nodding for himself and not even turning up to see Hyukjae. "Uncle Donghae has a great taste!" 

 

Hyukjae chuckled, humming lowly before sitting by Henry's side. "Hey baby... can we talk a little?" he asked, gently caressing his son's hair. "There's something I would like to tell you..." 

 

Henry finally looked up and Hyukjae bit his lower lip, looking into his son's eyes that were now filled with hear and terror. "Mommy...," Henry called, closing the book in his small hands. "You just sounded really scary," he laughed nervously. 

 

Hyukjae shook his head, smiling. "Just listen carefully, alright?" he asked and Henry nodded slowly, unsure of what was going on. "Look, Henry, you know I love you, right?" Henry nodded again. "And you know I won't be here forever, right?" 

 

Henry opened his eyes widely. "Mommy, this is the kind of talk I want you to give me until you're 95 or something, not now," he said. "I've watched movies and this is what persons tell others when they're going to-" he gasped loudly, laughing nervously again. "Better continue, mommy..." 

 

Hyukjae looked at Henry and chuckled. "I'm not going to die, Henry," he assured. "At least not now," he smiled and kissed Henry's forehead. "But I want you to know that if something ever happens to me, you must be strong and don't let the world consume you, you'll have your dad and you'll also have Minho hyung and even Siwon," he sighed softly, smiling tenderly. "I might be gone soon, or maybe in an eternity, but we don't know, and I want you to be conscious of things that can happen." 

 

Henry stood silent for a few seconds before hugging Hyukjae tightly, hiding his face against his mother's tummy, closing his eyes tightly to not let his tears go out from his eyes. "Mommy...," he muttered. "I'm scared..." 

 

Hyukjae felt guilty, looking how his son was clinging on him so desperately. Henry barely understood the concept of death, he couldn't just expect him to be calm after what he just said. "Don't be, Henry," he soothed, smiling as he caressed the other's hair. "Hey...," he called, nudging the other to look at him. 

 

Henry finally looked up, his eyes were red and he was pouting, tears dancing in his eyes. Hyukjae chuckled and kissed his forehead. "Let's go get some ice cream," Hyukjae offered. 

 

Henry bit his lower lip and stood silent for a few seconds before nodding. "Strawberry?" 

 

Hyukjae laughed. "Is there any other flavour?"  

 

Henry grinned widely. 

 

The park was filled with children and dogs running around. Henry clang onto Hyukjae firmly and after a few hours, he fell asleep on the bench with his head resting on Hyukjae's lap. 

 

"Hyuk!" Minho exclaimed, lowering his voice when he saw Henry asleep. By the clothes he was wearing and the time of the day, Hyukjae knew the other was out for a run around the park. "What are you guys doing?" he asked softly, squatting down to look at Henry, bringing a hand up to caress his hair softly.  

 

Hyukjae smiled. "We just came to get an ice cream," he answered, looking at how gentle Minho was with Henry. "Did you came to exercise?"  

 

Minho looked up at Hyukjae and nodded. "It's getting cold," he said after a second. "I'll help you take him back," he said, not waiting for Hyukjae's approval to slide his hands around Henry's body and carry him up carefully. 

 

Hyukjae smiled, standing up as well and walking by Minho's side towards their house.  

 

As soon as they arrived, Minho went directly to Henry's room and placed him there comfortably, closing the door after making sure the other was in a good position and going back to the kitchen where Hyukjae offered him something to drink. "Thanks," Hyukjae said, handing Minho the glass. 

 

They didn't mean to spend the whole afternoon sitting on the living room talking about different things and Hyukjae sighed softly when he noticed Minho was falling asleep on the couch. "Hey, why don't you take the bed?" 

 

Minho shook his head, standing up. "I should go back," he said, yawning heavily. 

 

Hyukjae laughed. "Alright, maybe not the bed, what about the couch?" 

 

Minho smiled widely and nodded.  "That would be great."

 

 




A/N: /goes to hell for not updating any story in months-