Chapter 8

I'll Come Back to You

 

               The rain thumped softly on the vehicle. Taeyeon grabbed Jessica’s hand and squeezed, giving her a reassuring smile. “We will come back here and be together again, Sica.” Taeyeon said, reassuringly. “Do you promise?” asked Jessica. Taeyeon gave Jessica her most comforting smile before replying. “Yes, Jessica Jung. We will come back here, except I think we should come back during winter next time.” Taeyeon inserted the key into the ignition and turned, the car engine thrumming to life, the lights turning on, illuminating the dark forest and the road, winding away from the cabin. Jessica pushed the button on the dash for the heater to turn on and the windows began to fog up before the anti-fog was enabled. Taeyeon pressed lightly on the gas, and the car began to slowly move forward down the hill away from the cabin. Jessica had her face pushed against the window watching the forest slide past the window.

                A few hours later, Taeyeon noticed the city lights, which looked to be little pinpricks because of their elevation.  “We should be able to reach the city in another few hours.” Taeyeon thought to herself. The rain continued to come down, a little stronger than the heavy drizzle that serenaded their departure. She glanced over at Jessica who was fast asleep.  Taeyeon released a small smile at the nearly silent snore that Jessica released before looking back to the road. The rain continued a little harder as the car began to near a turn. Taeyeon began to slow down for the turn. “Something is off.” Thought Taeyeon, noticing that the tires were sliding slightly in the rain. The car began to turn ever so slightly towards the guard rail which blocked cars from going off the edge of the cliff. “No. No no no no!” Taeyeon thought, trying to keep her calm, “The car is hydroplaning.” Taeyeon tried to correct the cars path, lurching the car away from the guard rail, and instead towards the side of the mountain.  The front of the car hit the side of the mountain, climbing up the steep, rocky side before crashing back down to earth. The car rolled once, twice, three times, before sliding along on its top, sparks shooting out where the metal was grinding into the road. Finally, the car grinded to a halt, shards of broken glass littered the ground like a trail of bread crumbs leading to the car. The rain poured ever harder, as if oblivious of what just happened.