Chapter 7

I'll Come Back to You

 

                 By the time they both finished eating, the sun was about to rise. Taeyeon cleared the table as Jessica went to grab a blanket for them. They headed out to the porch and Taeyeon sat down on the patio chair, Jessica sitting in her lap and covering them with the blanket, warding off the chill night air. Jessica wrapped her arms around Taeyeon’s neck and snuggled closer, both of them watching the sky turn to lighter shades of purple.  The sky began to light up as the sun peaked over the horizon, Jessica feeling so close to Taeyeon in that moment. She pulled her head back from Taeyeon’s a little and kissed her cheek before returning her eyes to the sky. The sun was half way revealed now, the sky blazing with orange and blue. Taeyeon could swear the sun was giving its best show for them. The sun was now fully in the sky, which was a bright blue. Having watched the sunrise together, the two girls moved back inside with no need to change as they were still in their pajamas. They crawled once more into bed, and fell asleep holding hands and facing each other.

                 Taeyeon awoke with a lurch, startled, only to see Jessica staring at her, her eyes wide. Thunder crashed outside sounding as if a canon was being fired right outside their cabin. Lightning tore through the sky, as illuminating as the flash from a camera. Rain pounded against the cabin walls, sounding like a million tiny hammers setting to work. Jessica began to breathe heavy, afraid of the noises from outside, and Taeyeon pulled her close, her hair to comfort her. Another crash of thunder sounded outside, and Jessica whimpered, pulling Taeyeon closer. “Shhhh,” whispered Taeyeon, “Everything will be okay, Sica. We are safe.” The black thunderheads swirled angrily outside, releasing torrents of rain, lightning continuing to tear across the sky in a brilliant display of power, thunder echoing down. Taeyeon continued to hold on to Jessica and began to hum a song. She could already feel Jessica begin to relax and calm down, sagging slightly into Taeyeon, who continued to hum to Jessica. Eventually, Taeyeon could feel Jessica’s soft, even breathing on her neck and she checked to see that she was asleep.

                The lightning and thunder died down, leaving just rain, which had calmed to a small storm rather than the torrential downpour it was at. “Hey,” Taeyeon said, shaking Jessica, “It’s time to get up. We have to pack. It’s time for us to leave.” Jessica pouted, but knew better to try and get her way this time. Together, they packed their clothes in their suitcases and cleaned around the cabin, the sky dark with clouds, the rain continuing to patter on the cabin. After a while, the two girls were done packing. “Shouldn’t we say goodbye to this place?” asked Jessica, “I felt so at home here…” Taeyeon then replied “Yeah, me too, we should definitely say goodbye.” They each stood with their eyes closed, memorizing their home-away-from-home. After too short a time, Taeyeon and Jessica began their departure. Jessica grabbed the umbrella and opened it to cover them from the rain, tears forming in her eyes. She turned her head to hide the tears, however, Taeyeon noticed and pulled her close before saying “Sica, don’t be sad. We will have another vacation. I promise we will come back here. To this exact spot.” Jessica could only nod, the tears rolling down her cheeks. Taeyeon opened the passenger door of the car, taking the umbrella from Jessica as she slipped into the car. Taeyeon then popped open the trunk to deposit their things before heading to the driver’s side door.