Chapter 5

I'll Come Back to You

 

               Taeyeon awoke a little while later, still being held by Jessica. She stretched and released a small yawn; Jessica removed her arms from around Taeyeon’s waist to let her get up. “Sorry,” Taeyeon apologized, “I didn’t mean to fall asleep.” Jessica giggled a little. “It’s okay! You were tired after rowing our boat and I didn’t mind you being asleep so much. You make faces in your sleep, and it’s cute.” Jessica said before pressing her lips to Taeyeon’s. The world was still, save for the occasional bird flying overhead, chirping a song. The only two people in the world were Jessica and Taeyeon, and they were the only two that mattered. After a while, Taeyeon grabbed the oars once again and started paddling. “Where are we going?” Jessica asked. Taeyeon responded in between rowing “We are going to explore the lake. I want to see what is in between those tree leaves over there.” Taeyeon rowed for a short while, the boat finally hitting the leaves of the weeping willow, which created a curtain that could not be seen through above the water. The willow leaves parted around the bow of the boat, sliding slowly through the leaves. Inside, the water was still and incredibly dark due to lack of sunlight. Water lilies dotted the surface of the water in flaming pink colors surrounded by their green pads.

                The boat glided slowly to a stop inside the shade of the willow tree, light glimmered dully through the leaves, however, inside seemed like a completely different world. Jessica looked around at this new scenery, taking in the veil of long, hanging leaves. The opaque water, so dark that the bottom couldn’t be seen. The way the water lilies bobbed slightly up and down in the waves created by the boat. She looked towards Taeyeon, seeing her own amazement reflected on her face. “So pretty…” murmured Taeyeon, continuing to look around. “I’m glad we got to see something like this. It would have been a waste not seeing this with you.” Jessica said in response. Taeyeon’s face lit up in a smile as she said “I really did it this time, didn’t I Sica? Sica?” Taeyeon glanced over at Jessica, who was still looking around with a bewildered look on her face. Taeyeon dipped her hand into the water, “Not a bad temperature. I bet we could have swam.” Running through her mind. She then flicked the water at Jessica, who jumped as though receiving an electric shock. The boat gently rocked, carrying through with Jessica’s sudden motion. “Hey! That wasn’t nice!” Pouted Jessica. “Oh yeah? What are you going to do about it?” Taeyeon said, breaking into a smile, and then looking shocked as Jessica splashed her back.

From there, both girls took turns splashing each other, their laughter echoing around the lake, muffled only by the leaves of the willow. Finally, a truce was called when both Taeyeon and Jessica felt that if the splashing war were to continue, their clothes would be thoroughly soaked. The truce consisted of three parts. First, a handshake to initiate the truce, then a hug to mediate the truce, and finally, a kiss to seal the deal. Taeyeon then took up the oars and began to row the boat out of the trees only to find that the sun had begun to set. The water spread away from the boat as it moved toward the dock. Jessica let out a yawn, showing how much energy their day’s adventure had taken from her. Taeyeon parked the boat on the dock and got out, turning around to grab Jessica’s hands to help her out of the boat. “I want to watch the sunrise.” Jessica told Taeyeon, once again yawning. “I don’t know if you are going to make it that long, Sica. It looks like you are pretty worn out. And we have to leave tomorrow night to go back.” Taeyeon replied, grabbing her companions hand before beginning their trek back to the cabin. “Hmmm,” Jessica said in a thoughtful manner, “what about we both take a nap? And then we can stay up together and watch the sunrise. After that we could go to sleep until we have to leave.” Taeyeon took a moment to think. “That sounds alright to me. I would love to watch the sunrise with you if you would be kind enough to have me.”