Chapter 9

I'll Come Back to You

 

                Jessica awoke in a bed to the subtle beeping monitoring her pulse. The room was white, the only color came from the mounds of flowers and get well soon cards that lay around her. Looking down, she saw a white blanket come up to slightly above her waist. Her arms were bruised and cut, an IV taped to one of her arms. Just then, the doctor walked in, looking surprised. “Ah, Miss Jung! You are awake!” Exclaimed the doctor, “How are you feeling?”  “I’m fine, where am I?” Replied Jessica. The doctor was shuffling around papers inside a manila folder and absent-mindedly replied “The hospital. There has been a slight accident.” Jessica felt her breath catch in and stuttered, “A-An accident? W-What happened? Where is T-Taeyeon?” Her eyes began to water, tears spilling down her cheeks. The doctor began shuffling through his papers, “It appears that you are fine except for a few minor cuts and bruises, we can probably release you as soon as we get the release form in order. As for Taeyeon, she will have to stay.”

                Jessica didn’t understand. Why was she allowed to leave but Taeyeon had to stay? “Can I see her?” Jessica asked as the doctor was walking out of her room. The doctor replied, without looking back, “She isn’t really in a condition to talk, but if you would like to see her, you may as soon as you are released. I’m sorry.” Jessica resigned herself to looking around the room once more, seeing all the flowers and reading the get well soon cards both from her fans, and from the other members of SNSD, trying to keep herself occupied until the evening. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, she was released. She had to be careful walking, as cuts and bruises lined not only her arms, but her legs as well. One of the nurses on station escorted her to where they were keeping Taeyeon and Jessica felt nervous at what state her companion might be in. The nurse opened the door to Taeyeon’s room, and Jessica walked inside.

                Taeyeon was lying in the bed, bruises covered her arms as well, and a few cuts marred her gorgeous face. Jessica’s breath caught in as tears began to come to her eyes. “Oh, Taeyeon…” Jessica whispered, the tears beginning to fall. Jessica rushed over to the bed and grabbed ahold of Taeyeon’s hand, feeling the warmth inside her body. The slight swooshing noise alerted her to the door opening and she turned, still holding on to Taeyeon’s hand. The doctor, a different one than before, walked in once more, holding his file, and checked on Taeyeon’s vitals before addressing Jessica, the slight beep of Taeyeon’s pulse emanating in the background. “You are Miss Jung?” The doctor asked, as Jessica, her face wet with tears, nodded. “It is quite miraculous that you escaped unscathed from the accident. Quite miraculous indeed. I’m extremely sorry, but your friend isn’t quite so lucky.” Jessica’s heart let out a painful throb that made her gasp. “Don’t worry, she will live. However, she is in a coma. There is nothing we can do but wait for her, Miss Jung. Do you understand?” Jessica fell back into the chair, her legs losing all strength. Her mind reeling from the news she had just received. “I…” Jessica tried to speak stumbling over the words, tears beginning to spill down her cheeks once more. “I… I understand.” She uttered these words, but to her, they had no meaning. “How? How could something like this be? How could this have happened?” She thought to herself as the doctor let himself out of the room. “Taeyeon…” Jessica whispered feeling more alone than she ever had before, “Please wake up, I need you…”

                Jessica stayed at the hospital a few days, waiting for Taeyeon to wake up. Hardly getting any sleep herself from keeping careful watch over her lover. Purple rimmed Jessica’s eyes, her pallor turning pale. Eventually she had to return to their group, continue doing shows, appearing on Television. Taeyeon was always on her mind, whether she was okay. When she would break out of her sleep. Jessica continued to smile and laugh, but those smiles and those laughs never quite reached her eyes.