Road to Seoul Part III

My Seoul Garden

 

Early Thursday morning around 3:30am Saya found herself struggling to stay asleep. Continuously she tossed and turn with overjoyed excitement brewing within her. Today was the day. It’s finally the big day…She kept hearing her restless mind taunt and . This is the day her dreams set sail in a new direction and her everyday average joe life would come to a sudden halt. Finally giving up the fight for sleep Saya reluctantly peeled her eyes open. Lingering within the empty quietness the room she began taking mental photos of her bedroom. Taking note of all the sad and happy memories that took place in that very room. Saya paused for moment smiling at such fond memories.

The silence suddenly became unbearable for her as she grabbed her pink and black kuromi iPod and placing her beat head phones on. Quickly putting her iPod on shuffle in order fulfill to eerie stillness in the room. Ironically the device selected a fellow YG artist, Tae yang’s song I need a girl. Saya never really watched variety shows or studied any of the kpop ideal groups for that matter. She only knew the basic information necessary about them…Are they talented and can they sing and dance well? She was more fascinated in the solo artist she esteemed so much such as Se7en, Hyori, Boa, Wheesung and most importantly Rain.

He had become one the huge motivators in her life to accomplishing her goals since he first made his debut. Saya not only respected him for his devilishly handsome good looks but his work effort, confidence and humble nature. Not to mention his charismatic appeal on and off stage. Those were the true heros in her eyes. She thought merely 85% of idols groups were overrated jerks worshipped by fan girls and boys.

However she couldn’t deny there was something uniquely special about Tae yang presence that captured her attention even for brief moment. Although on the other hand she held more esteem other members such as Dae sung and T.O.P. She admired Dae sung for his strong voice talents and T.O.P as a fantastic rapper as any girl would be marveled by his intoxication deep voice and bad boy swag.

“I need a girl…tissh” She laughed the mere title. “That’s funny celebrities like him try to play cute and innocence in front of the cam but I bet off stage he’s a player.” A light chuckled escaped her lips thinking celebrities do the most ridiculous things for attention.

Ring… Ring…RingForty ounce in my lap and its freezin my junk…

Saya’s face scrounged into confusion of the unfamiliar ringtone. “Damnit Sango…Little punk change my ringtone.” Saya look over on her night stand searching for her phone franticly attempting to seize the disturbing new ringtone. “Damnit Sango!!” She answered the phone in frustration.

“GOOD MORNING SAYA!” Sango’s high pitched voice greeted Saya’s ears with a great deal of excitement considering she was never a morning person.
“SAN!”
“What?...” She paused for a moment completely oblivious as to why Saya was taking this tone of voice with her. “ohhhh…I take it you don’t like you new ringtone uh?”
Saya frowned at the sound of Sango’s laughter filling the other line. “Is there reason why you’re calling me?”

“Yea girl, we’re on our way. Harmony and I couldn’t sleep so we ended up waking up earlier and our families are headed over there.”
“Ok that’s fine then…I’ll see you guys when you get here.” Saya responded back in a groggy voice.
“Ok see ya soon!”

She placed her phone down on the nightstand once she heard the click on the other line. Immediately placing her heads phone on once again a sudden knock came to her bedroom door. “Urrgghh” Again her musical haven had been disturbed. “Yes?” She questioned the visitor at the door.

“Saya honey it’s time to get up sweetie your friends will be arriver shortly.”

“Yes mom.” Saya lazily scrambled to her feet attempting to drag herself out of the bed.
Slowly but surely she headed over to her bathroom prep for her long upcoming day. “Ok hurry breakfast will be done in 10 minutes.”

“Yes mommy…”She shouted through the door with a mouth full of toothpaste seeping between her lips. Once she finished showering and Saya slipped on her all black hoodie with matching kuromi pajama pants making sure she was comfortable for the long journey ahead. After giving herself one last final glace over she headed down stairs to join the rest of her family at the kitchen table.

“Annyeong Unni.” Sango greeted all too cheerfully. It was a clear as day she too was overjoyed and ready to start the new adventure of a lifetime. Saya took a moment to waved and greet all of the families as she took her seat next to Harmony.
The atmosphere was rich with joyful laughter and high spirits. With all three families together it brought a great deal of warmth and happiness to the girls as they spent their last leisure day with them. Through their smiled it was easy to detect an underling tone of sadness as well. This would be the last time they share meal like this. The last time hearing blissful laughter and their parents praise of how proud they are of them. For months to come this would be the very last time…
After breakfast the girls gather their belongings as their parent assisted with last minute needs. When all was settled the families rounded up ready to say their final goodbyes to their children. Many hugs and kisses as well as words of wisdom were exchanged amongst them.

As they stood in the hallway the warmth they previously share during the meal began to slowly dissipate. Parent’s worries and concern began to display on their faces although they held their tongues only providing them with words of encouragement to chase after their dream.

A light sniffled and a few tears managed to escape from Sango’s eyes as she held her mother. This was going to be her very first time on her own at the age of 19. For the past few days her excitement had overshadowed all her worries about her mother and how she would fare with her absence.

Saya began to say her goodbye’s to her large family of two older brothers and two younger sisters as well as her mother and father. “Remember always have faith in yourself sweetie even when your journeying through the world’s darkest days.” Her mother reminded with a firm hug.

“And remember no matter what the problem is…You can always call us for guidance.” Her father added with his soft voice.
“And money too right?” She suggested jokingly before her father smiled giving her light shove in the doorways direction.
Lastly Harmony bid her mother their final goodbye.

“You’re going to be great baby girl… Even in light how much pain and suffering you’ve gone through lately; I know you’ll be fine…” Harmony lowered her head feeling a shadow of oppression hovering over her. Her mother grabbed hold of her chin lock eyes with her loving daughter. “You know how I know.”

Harmony shook her head waiting her answer. “Because I know you’re destined for great things.” She placed a small kissed upon her forehead. Throughout Harmony’s childhood their relationship has always been very close. They always depended on one another even through the toughest times. Without a father figure at the head of her family and being she was an only child Ms. Park to her was not only her mother but father, siblings and best friend. Needless to say it was killing her in the inside to leave her mother behind.

Harmony hugged her mother tightly taking a moment to memorizing the felling of her caring nature she would have to go without for months. Moments later they pulled out of their embrace with the sound of the impatient taxi cab summoned them with the hunk of his horn.
“I love you mo__”

BEEEEP!!


Again the eager driver blasted his horn warning the time was of the essence “Come on guys we gotta go.” Saya was the first to step foot out of the house and loaded her bags up as the others followed suit. They gave their families a final wave goodbye as their proceeded to be rush to the LAX airport.
Realizing set in the path of their new life was about to begin as they watched the families become further and further out of sight. The car was utterly silent until Sango’s light sniffles catch their attention. “Oh come Sango don’t cry.” Saya nudged her elbow into her side playfully.

“Ya don’t look at it as the ending; look at it as the being of a new chapter in your life.” Harmony hooked her arm around Sango’s shoulders lightly attempting to comfort and bring her spirits up.
“Sorry guys…I know… But honestly it didn’t occur to me how hard it actually would be to leave my entire life behind.” She spoke softly drying up her remaining tears.

“Now you see this is why we call you the baby.” Saya mocked jokingly.
“I’M NOT A BABY!!! I’m 19 damnit.” The girls busted into a light laughter finally feeling to mode up lift once again.
“Well either way you’re still the baby of this group hun.”
“Hey, look on the bright side you’re finally 20 in Korea, so now we can all go clubbing.”
“Oh yeah uh?” The bright joyful nature return to Sango up beat personality discovering this new piece of information.
“Tssh, as if I need to be any older.” Saya rolled eyes feeling the ahjumma side of her coming out bitterly.
“Yea that mean’s I’m 22…and you’re…” Both Harmony and Sango pairs of eyes landed upon Saya bitter gaze.
“What?! Yes I’m 24 ok.”
“Damn Unni…You getting friggin old.”
“Haters…” Saya shook her head in displeasure as her two companions laughed at the poor situation Saya found herself copping with.

“Ahjumma…”




_________________________________




When the girls finally reached the airport they darted out of the cab start into the airport realizes as expected Los Angeles traffic never fails to make people late. Hastily rushing through the airport delivering unchecked bags and going through the slow painful process homeland security the girls eventually made it to their gate on time.

“Thank god we….WE…We finally made it” The girls took a few minutes to catch their unsteady breath.
“Come on…We gotta keep moving they already called our seating number.”

Winded but stable they boarded the noisy aircraft walking through the aisle to find their seats. Little by little they continued to squeeze and shove past people standing the aisle. “Seat number 23? Number 23 oh, here it is.” Saya took her seat next to the window Harmony in the middle and Sango in the aisle. Now a bit more relaxed in their seats they finally could take some time to rest and set their minds on the task the laid ahead of them.

“O MY LANTA WE’RE FINALLY LEAVIN! I’m so excited.” Sango exclaimed jittering around in her seat.
“I know right I’ve never flown on Korea airlines before. How long is the flight?”
"I don’t even remember I think about 16 or 17 hours." Saya responded to Harmony’s question.
“ I don’t know if I can sit here that long”
“As if you have choice.” Harmony reminded Sango.

Figuring out away to save themselves from total boredom the girls played various games in order to keep their minds entertained. Dominos, Speed, Phrase ten and Poker the girls exhausted all their gaming options until they fell into a deep sleep. Sango was among the first to snooze out. Saya sat quiet patiently staring out her window as she listened to her iPod as always. She watched the plane’s wings zip the thick fluffy gray clouds at rapid speed admiring the glittering ocean below.
Saya took her attention off the window when she spotted Harmony uneasy facial expression as she jotted don’t something in a notebook. She paused her iPod when she suddenly felt compelled to ask Harmony if anything was wrong purely out of concern. “What yatch doing Harm?”

“Oh Nothing just practicing some writing…” She quickly shut the notebook then placed it underneath her seat.
Saya smirk completely disbelievung that everything was ok as it seems watching Harmony play with her nails. “We been friends for 20 years…I think you’re going to have lie to me better than that.” She teased with hint of playfulness in her voice and glimpse optimism in her eyes.

Harmony released long deep sigh debating whether she was willing to share her true thoughts. “Come on... What’s on your mind?”
“It’s David…” Saya notice the pass two days have been nothing don’t pure hell for her.

“Erasing 5 years worth of memories isn’t going to happen overnight…It’s going to take some time hun.”

“I know… I know …and I realize that but…Now I’m just so hurt and angry all the time. I feel like I’ve given him too much power over me…My writing, my music even dance just seems like it’s the only way I can channel my anger these days.” She placed the palm of her hand over face shield the shame and hate still burning in her heart. “I lost my boyfriend and I’m leaving my mother behind as well…I feel so…alone.”

Unable to watch her friend suffer any longer Saya took Harmony into her arms and simply allowed her to cry. As if she too felt her misery and pain Saya held on tighter as more tears fell from her best friend’s eyes. “I can’t and I won’t say I know exactly what you’re going through because I don’t. But I can tell you that I will be right every step of the way and as long as you got me and San by your side…you will never be alone. Don’t worry about all that anymore, it’s in the past. This trip will be good for all of us.”

Saya released Harmony from her embrace and began to wipe the tears from her eyes. “You can take this experience make beautiful art with it and put the whole ordeal in the back of your mind. Remember what goes around comes around so karma will slowly but surely bring him to justice. Before you know it life will fall back in its proper balance.” Harmony smiled a grateful smile feeling more confident knowing she had her best friends by her side.

“Remember Harm like your mother used to say after the rain out comes a shining rainbow; right?...”
 Harmony nodded in conformation feeling her spirits raise once again.

Eventually the trio fell into a deep slumber until they reached their finally destination. Their flight landed in Seoul at 10:30pm. Feeling a bit groggy they sluggishly grabbed their belongings from the baggage claim carousel then walked outside towards the taxi cab area. They came to a sudden halt when a YG representative held a sign with their names on it.

“Ready or not Seoul here we come." Saya smiled at others as they approached the young woman.