Road to Seoul Part II

My Seoul Garden

Countless hours and days the trio spent editing the music video, rehearsing and perfecting the song until they managed come to an appeasing result. Fighting through all the doubt, fear of criticism they may face in the future and relinquished all uncertainties. When one person felt like their mind was being bombarded from a lack of faith another reinstalled it within them. If someone began to fall short on the talents another picked up the slack of the group. Together they put their best effort forward in order to achieve the result of the best possible outcome.
It took them the entire week to master the CD complete the music video and packaged all the necessary materials away then send their product off to the proper location. Afterwards all they could do was wait. Wait for email…A phone call or any other sign of hopefully contact.

One agonizing month had passed since they had submitted their work. Day after day they repeatedly check all forms of communication through email, phone messages and the mail they still received no confirmation of approval. Weary, exhausted and anxious their spirits, hopes and sanity began to slowly diminish. The girls began to lose all hope and faith of ever hearing back from them.
It was a sluggish warm Tuesday afternoon when the girls gathered at Saya’s house to relax daunt in their thoughts of the contest. Lethargic they all laid lifelessly on the couch watching T.V. Sango shifted around lying upside down comfortably on the sofa with her head dangling of the edge as her feet hovered in the air she sighed restlessly
.
“Dude… it’s been 4½ friggin weeks since we submitted our stuff. How flippin long does it take to reply with a simple yes or no?” Sango declared screwing her face into a pout before stuffing and entire fist full of animal crackers in .


“You know San, one would think with all the food you’re constantly shoveling into your mouth you would be fat kid, not a fit girl with a six pack.” Sango smile blissfully taking note of Saya's sarcastic remark.

Harmony switched off the T.V. as boredom set into the dull atmosphere. “Well honestly San, I know a lot of people entered so I’m sure it’s gonna take a bit more time to make a final decision.” Harmony stated trying to place their predicament is the most logical reasoning possible.

Discontent and uneasy Sango folded her arms over her chest then plotted her head onto Saya’s lap childishly. “I know but still…Unni.” She whined in a sullen voice to stare upward at Saya hugging on tightly a nearby pillow.
“Uh?” Saya groaned equally annoyed they’ve have yet to receive a response from the company representatives.
“This saddens me…” Sango plunged her face deep with the depths of the couch pillow groaning thoroughly malcontent with the entire situation.

Like an understanding elder sister trying to smooth away eagerness brewing with them; Saya her friend’s hair wanting to ease both their anxious spirits. “I know…I know, look you guys we just have to keep our spirits hig__.”


The room silenced when a low commotion came from the front door near the mail box. The girls stared at the mail falling through the slot from the over their shoulders as they remain seated on the couch. Saya glanced at Harmony, Harmony gazed at Sango and Sango stared right back at Saya. As if they all share one single thought in mind they raced to the front door. One by one they hoped over the couch like professional track stars until they finally reach the days delivery.

“Is it here? Is it here?” Harmony bounced around on her tippy toes eager to know if there’s any good news were to be shared or not.

Saya was among the first to ram sack through the parcels quickly scanning over all the insignificant mail. “Crap, crap, crap, bills, bull, midterms, more crap yah… hey, here it is!” She hastily ripped the seals of the letter open and began reading the contents within. The other two hovered over her shoulder unable to contain there quivering curiosity any longer. After reading through the letter thoroughly Saya suddenly held in her breath as she continued to slowly back away from the others. Unable to find her footing on solid ground anymore she took a seat on the nearby staircase.

Harmony feeling somewhat pessimistic from the brief glimpse of Saya facial expression she hesitantly began to parts her trembling lips. “Unni…What is it? What’s wrong?” Unresponsive and silent Saya handed it over to Harmony to view the results of the letter. Sango hung her head low in defeat fearing the worst possible outcome. Nervous butterflies bubbled in her stomach as she proceeded to read the letter. Suddenly huge joyful smile of success crept upon her face. “Aww HELLS YEA BABY! SANGO WE WON!”

“Eh?” In the utmost belief Sango quickly snatched the letter out of her hand rapidly scanning her eyes over the acceptance letter. “AHHHH!!!” The trio paused for a brief moment looking at one another then continued to shout and dance about in gratification.

“Thank you God! I knew we could pull this off!” Saya shouted praising her love high towards to the sky making certain God could her many thanks. She paused watching her friends celebrate their success, never feeling more proud in her life she suddenly buckled over onto her knees. Taking a moment to catch her breath she felt tears threatening to sip out her eyes. Quietly recalling all the troublesome nights she trained, all the rejected she faced in the pass and heart crushing statements of doubters. She could put it all behind her and look towards brighter future.
Sango stopped her celebrating when she noticed Saya’s face buried within her folded arms. “Oh Unni, come on stand up.”Sango quickly help Saya find her feet again.


“Yea no crying this is a happy moment.” Harmony gently wiped off the tears staining her face. They all knew she rarely ever cried but they also understood how much this meant to her.
“Sorry…” Saya finally cleared her voice as she wiped the remaining tears from her eyes. “I’m not sad guys I’m just really proud and overwhelmed.”
“Well stop crying or you’re gonna make me cry too then I’mma be pissed .” Sango blurted out as the all busted in a joyfully laughter.

“Hold up you guys I’ll be right back I have to call my baby David and tell him the good news.” Harmony politely excused her from the room before carrying on with her call to her boyfriend. “Hello?! Oh my god babe guess what, you’re never going to believe it?”

To her displeasure Harmony over heard an unfamiliar female voice in the background of their phone call. She couldn’t exactly make out what the two were saying do her his hand carefully covering up his end of the phone. Though her mind knew better than to acknowledge the disturbance, her inner womanly tuition alarm were ringing. “So can I come see you later on night?” She continued on the conversation as if nothing bothered her. “What, why not? Oh ok I understand. Alright I’ll talk to you later then, love you too.”

Harmony gazed intensely caressing the blank screen of her phone in which her lover’s number just disappeared from seconds prior. Before even having enough time to think to herself suddenly Saya and Sango came barging in the living room as loud as possible still ecstatic about the good news. “Hey you guys let’s celebrate!” Sango threw her hands up in the air in absolute elation.
“Yea where should we go tonight?” Saya continued to laugh and bounce around mirroring Sango's excitement.

“Oh oh…I know…KAROKE NIGHT!!!” Sango shouted at the top of her lungs.
“Oh good idea.” Saya agreed speaking in a heavy thick Japanese playful accent. “Oh wait aren't you doing something with you man tonight?” Saya paused briefly coming down from cloud 9 to question Harmony.

“No...He can’t hang out tonight, he’s got work.” She spoke as if she were trying to conjured up a logic explanation as to why she felt a sudden discomfort with her previous phone call.


“Pssh! Forget that.” Sango completely dismissed the thought of responsibility. “Just go up to his supervisor and convince him to let David to come out and play with you.”


“You know what… I think you’re right San.” Harmony responded in a more cheerful tone reassuring herself that maybe...just maybe she might be overacting.


“No problem Unni. Go on have some fun with your boytoy. I’m sure Saya Unni and I can find something to do.”
“Yep go play with your sweetie.” Saya urged her as well.


“Ok” Feeling a bit more secure and confident Harmony smiled as she gathered her belongings making her way to the front door.

“Wait!” Harmony paused when she heard footsteps trail behind on the hard wooden floor. “I just remembered.” Saya quickly drew the envelope containing the contents of the traveling itinerary.” I almost forgot to tell you we leave this Thursday at 6:30am. So you have two days to pack your life away and say goodbye to your family and sweetie. Also I want you guys to meet at my house and be there no later than 4:00 am OK?” She instructed making certain she didn’t fail to leave any important details out.

“OK I go it. Where are the airplane tickets at?”
“ I got them right here in the envelope but I’ll hang on to them and give them to you guys on Thursday.”
Harmony nodded her head understandingly before opening the door.

“See you Thursday!” Sango added cheerfully.

 

________________________________

 

The soft evening breeze whipped through Harmony’s long dark brown hair with the top of her convertible black mustang down. She drove in silence thinking of ways to prepare her surprise for David with a night out in the town. She figured she spend as much time as possible with him before Thursday morning when she was going leave her life in the states behind. It hadn’t occurred to her how much her life was about to change within the next few days. Her American college life, nightlife in the city and contact with her family and loved ones was about to completely change.

As she continued to drive through the night she couldn’t help recalling the feminine voice in the background of David’s phone. Once again her female intuition began to stir up. Her mind still felt a bit unsure and the voice in the back of her head kept insisting she simply just turned back around and head home. Pulling up to a slow stop at red light she exhaled a deep breath trying to gather her nervous wits. Suddenly the shine of her couples ring caught her eye for brief moment. She smiled as she caressed the heart shaped stone reminiscing the day she received the gift from David. Being he’s been her high school sweetheart since freshman year till her sophomore year in college present day reinstalled her faith within their relationship.

“AAAhh, girl you’re going crazy you’ve been together for 5 years. One would think I would have a little more faith.” Again and again she tried to tone out the negative thoughts lingering within her mind but she felt an eerie disturbance in the pit of her stomach.

It only took her about 15mins to arrive in front of a music store called Musical Me. She withdrew her keys out of the ignition before locking up the doors to the car then proceeded to walk inside. She scanned her eyes over the store before realizing that David was nowhere in sight. To her left she noticed Mr. Kim store owner struggling to organize a handful of CDs. She quickly rushed over to assist him and placed a few products he had accidental dropped on the floor on the shelves.

“Oh thank you young lad__. Omo oh is that you Harmony-shi?” The old man smiled a happy toothy smile.

“Annyeong haseyo Mr Kim.” She returned his happy smile with a polite bow as well.
“Oh have you been well my dear?”
“Yes, I have. How have you and your wife been?
“Oh me and the misses are well dear. It’s always such as pleasure to see you.”
She smiled back in appreciation of Mr. Kim’s compliments. The store seemed a bit more quite than a usual Monday night. Again an eerie feeling tugged within Harmony’s stomach as her eyes briefly scanned the store finding no signs of David’s presence. “Excuse me but by chance is David around?”

“Yes dear, he should  cleaning out the stock room in the back.” She followed his finger to where he was pointing before giving him another grateful smile.

She quickened her pace towards the storage room then froze into a sudden halt when she heard the same unfamiliar female voice from their previous conversation over the phone. Her brows furred up with confusion striking across her face. Slowly she approached the door then attentively began to overhear David’s voice and frantic coming from the female co worker. Harmony suddenly found herself staring at the door handle in disgust as she listened to the sounds being emitted from the young woman. Her hand began to tremble as she reached for the doorknob as the sound of a girl incessantly continued to ring in her ears. Harmony almost couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

Apprehensive and scared to what she may find behind the door she summoned up all her courage to push it open. To her horror what she saw confirmed what she had feared all along from a mere gazed upon the love of her life embracing and locking lips with another woman. Stupefied she stared at the two as David continued to kiss the woman nothing but pure lust.

The young woman let out a frightful gasp when she finally realized someone had been watching them the entire time. Harmony remained frozen in place horrified still not believing what was happening to her. David and the woman quickly separated from one another redressing themselves decently as if nothing just happened. A blanket of silence cloaked over them room as they took a moment to simply watch one another. Unable to bare the awkward silence the young woman quickly gathered her things then fled from the stock room leaving the broken couple in the stillness.

                                                   Betrayal…Hurt…Humiliation…Anger

All these emotions rapidly began to surge throughout Harmony’s body. “…Harmony…” David began to part his lips just as the first tear drop from her eyes fell.

“…Baby I’m so sorr___” He couldn’t even finish his sentence when he noticed the pain coursing through her face. She began shaking her head as if this whole ordeal was just a nightmare the she was soon to wake up from but deep down she knew this was her cold bitter reality. No longer being able to hold back, David attempted to reached hold her, but Harmony wasn’t about to let his dirty hands touch nor consol her in any way as she took a step back. The strings of her heart knotted up and the air escape from her lungs as if someone just punched in the stomach.


Just as he took another step forward she countered with another slowly retreating step back. Unable to contain the anger boiling inside her any longer she finally lashed out.
LEE DONG MIN!!!” She addressed him by his native Korean name which she only did in anger.
“Baby I thought you were busy tonight?”

“Yea I was trying to come up here and surprise you but I see you obviously have something else planned. Seems like your really working her hard.” Her eyes held his as she spoke hint the irritation and anguish leaking out of her stern voice.

He expression soften when notice the pain ripple through her eyes. “No babe it’s not like that at all I_”

DON’T IIN LIE TO ME YOU BASTARD!!!” Before he could even get out another word out Harmony had already flung her promise ring across the room aiming straight for his head. Unfortunately for her his reflexes we’re faster than she had anticipated to her dismay. Her blood once again began to rush with nothing but unadulterated rage and hatred.

“Harmony please don’t look at me like that.” Her chest tightened in anguish as he spoke; the air around her was  insufficiently scarce. “Babe wait let me explain…” She dodged his every attempt as he tried desperately to reach out to her. Effortlessly push him aside Harmony fled outside to the cold unforgiving air towards her car. Running away from the scene as fast as her legs could possibly carry her she could hear David calling her name as he chased after her.

“YAH PARK HARMONY!!!” Catching her by the forearm before she could speed way he whipped her around to face him.


“GET OFF OF ME!!”

She hissed at him trying her best to push him away pounding her fist hard into his chest repeatedly. He stood still taking her abuse knowing very well he deserved every ounce of it as held her waste tight. “How could you do this to me!!”

I TRUSTED YOU!! After 5 long years I trusted you!!!”

“HARMONY STOP IT!” Finally feed up with her hysteria he held her arms down with one hand and cupped her face with the other. “Baby I’m sorry…ok. It didn’t mean anything.” His soft brown eyes held hers but no matter how much he tried to appease her with his bull apology her mind was already too far gone.

Steaming hot tears cascaded down her face when a hint of realization came to her. “You’ve been my friend since childhood. You’ve been my crush since junior high and my lover for the 5 years.” She chuckled to herself thinking back on all they’ve been through only to arrive at this point in their relationship. “It’s funny thinking how I’ve always felt so blessed to have someone like you in my life. Thinking you knew who someone truly is and they can do something like this to you.” She began to hide her emotions as she continued to speak watching the immense amount of pain take over his eyes with her words.

“But now…I don’t even know who you are anymore.” His lips quivered and his body tense struggling to say something to justify his actions but he knew there was no expectable excuse.


She snatched her arm and chin away from his grasp glaring with so much hatred and hurt. “So when you see me don’t talk to me! When you think of me don’t call me. If you even so much as overhear my conversation you don’t even have the right eavesdrop.” His face turned pale watching a cold smile dance cross her lips enjoying the misery brewing within his eyes. Slowly she began retreat towards her car. David stood quietly in place but his eyes pleaded for her not go. Not to leave him alone like this.

For now on Lee Dong min… I’m a ghost to you and you are nothing to me.”