Waiting

Deer x Fish

2nd chap for the day....

***

 

 

“All right! Stop! Stop!” instructed Siwon at the truck driver as it entered the school premises. “All right! The Christmas tree is here!”

The whole class rejoiced at the announcement. They were looking forward for it for the whole day. After all, Christmas trees are the highlight of a Christmas party.

“That would be pretty if we put that up altogether.” Leeteuk commented, looking at the unassembled tree.

“I would take care of that!” proclaimed Eunhyuk, doing a merry dance.

“This party will sure be a success!” said Miss Taehee, smiling.

“I hope so.” Said Yoona, all traces of vanity gone.

Donghae smiled. Everyone was cooperating. Christmas has this effect on people. Making the bad ones good and making the good ones better.  He looked at Yoona who was then climbing testily at the tree.

Someone is watching me. I knew.

Donghae smiled to himself.

Yoona, you’re not alone.

Perhaps you didn’t really have someone watching over you for the past seventeen years.

But it’s different now.

You have new friends.

You have Siwon.

You also have my mother, Jessica and me.

Tomorrow, Yuri would definitely…

And then he remembered what he promised to himself.

I’m confessing to Yuri?

Yoona descended down the tree, running towards the benches where her bag is. She took a small box and showed it to Siwon. It was a star.

A very expensive star.

“But it must be expensive.” Siwon said, neglecting the offer.

“No. I am thinking of putting it to my own tree but it’s too big.” She looked at the under-construction Christmas tree. “This might be enough for our gigantic tree eh?”

“All right.” agreed Siwon, taking the star. “I’ll put in on carefully.”

 

***

Everyone closed the curtains.

“Power source check!”

Fortified nods.

“All right. Let’s turn off the lights.”

The hall’s lights flickered off after a second.

And then with a touch of a button, Siwon the Christmas tree lights they had arranged for the whole day.

Everybody was amazed. It was as though they were looking at a galaxy. They were in space and it was as if Yoona’s star was the sun of the galaxy. It glittered at the darkness and twinkled as the lights reflected through it’s opaque surface.

“We did it!”

This was worth the effort after all this was done during the whole day. Nothing could ever repay that but to see the result and that is this marvelous tree.  More beautiful than any tree in the city.

“it’s so beautiful!” said Yoona beyond amazement.

Jessica looked at her. “We did it.”

Yoona nodded happily. “Yes Sica. We did it.”

And as if on cue a ball whizzed over their heads. Yoona looked up, just in time to see a softball heading directly to the Christmas tree. It hit one of the lights but it was enough to break everything they’ve done. A domino effect rose and in seconds the Christmas tree they have exerted effort on was disassembled.

The star lay meters away from the debris. Completely broken.

They were left startled, frozen in midrant.

The door of the hall opened. And in it was an ever joyful Yuri asking for apology. “We’re sorry we never mean it-“ And she saw the debris of the Christmas tree.

***

The whole routine went over again but with no passion. All the workers have was disappointment.

Yuri was of course sorry. She tried to reassemble the star back. Vainly as she was, although obviously nothing can be done for it was made with pure glass.

She applied glue to the broken pieces with tremulous hands.

“Yuri that’s enough!” pleaded Yoona. “It was an accident. It couldn’t be helped.”

“No I’m sorry.” Her voice was shaky, as if she was crying. “I’m really sorry!”

“Yuri it’s not your fault! It was just an unfortunate-“

“No it’s my fault.” She said. “It’s because I spaced out. I lost control and it broke something very important to you. Although I may not be able to fix it, just let me do whatever I can.” She was now crying. Yoona wanted to comfort her but she lost all her strength.

She looked at Donghae. “Then let Donghae be-“

“No!” objected Yuri, surprising Yoona. She never had objected in such a tone. “No! Not that!”

“Yuri..” Yoona apnted but she sighed and left.

Donghae was left, staring at Yuri.

“Leave now DOnghae. Let me do this by myself.”

DOnghae ignored her and sat beside her, helping her with the task at hand.

“Stop it. It’s my fault.”

He continued to ignore her.

“If you help me I’ll—“

“There’s no time left.” He said sternly. “Do what you should do. I’m not helping you. I am just doing what I should do.”

Yuri looked at him.

“It’s for my own sake.” He continued. “And Yoona’s.”

Yuri cant believe she was hearing. Tears now began to race through her cheeks.

“Donghae. Donghae.”

“I’m listening.”

“Donghae.”

“I’m here.”

“Donghae.”

Donghae raised the half-assembled star. It even gotten more beautiful than before. “Look we’re halfway. Things could be fixed if you try to right?”

“But it’s different.”

“But it’s still shining.” He confided. “You continue it.”

“I don’t even know if I can-“

“You can!” encouraged Donghae.

 

***

The Christmas tree was back to it’s feet and the workers were happy.

The star stood at the top, still shining.

“Everyone. Now! We’re sorry!” exclaimed the baseball club in perfect unison.

Yoona rushed toward Yuri and embraced her. “Thank you..”

“You’re cuter than before.”

***

“Yuri!” called DOnghae when all the baseball club members left.

“You have to come to the party tomorrow. It’ll definitely be fun!” he convinced. “I want to go with you!”

Yuri’s heart beat faster. “No I can’t… “ she said. “I cant go after all the trouble I caused.”

“I’ll wait for you.”

“Don’t wait! Because I won’t be coming.”

And she walked away, tracing the steps faster than she always did.

I’ll wait. Donghae thought. I’ll wait for you!