An Angel Behind A mask

Deer x Fish

P.E .time:

 

“Now,” announced Tiffany with a very serious look on her pretty face, which I think does not suit her. “We shall start helping our village in our own little way.” She raised her arms to the air. “Let’s now start our general cleaning.”

I smiled at myself. I really like general cleanings since I am a chore addict. I wonder Yoona likes this too.

I sighed, maybe not.

I let my gaze travel around. We were in the school’s gym. All seniors were called at once by student council president Tiffany for an emergency meeting. And obviously, the agendum is about the cleanliness and orderliness of the town.

I looked at Yoona, who was now hunched beside Yuri. Jessica was there too with Taeyeon and Sooyoung, all giggling and smiling.

“We would go by partners.” Tiffany kept saying. “So that it would look fun.”

The students cheered in glory. I groaned. I always do things better on my own.

Then I looked once again at Yoona.

Maybe not, I do good too with her.

She was now looking at me too, or better yet glaring fiercely at me.

She must have noticed that I’m staring at her.

Maybe on another time, I would be threatened by the glare. But now, I feel like I’m already used by that look. The frown in her face makes me smile everyday. The sarcasm in her voice makes me sing and whistle.

I think I’m getting to be fond of her.

No. I shook my head vigorously, trying also to shake off the thought.

I’ll never fall for her.

This heart is for Yuri only.

“Now grab a broom and start cleaning!” commanded Tiffany through the megaphone making me dance back to the real world.

“She’s pretty right?” asked a voice. I looked back, to find it was actually Siwon.

“You were saying?”

“I said she was pretty!” repeated Siwon.

This was bad.

If Siwon thinks she’s pretty, the he must have a crush to her.

And then that’s the end of Yoonhae partnership for love.

I shuddered at the last thought.

Yoonhae? Where did I got that?

“So what do you think? Is she pretty?” he asked, interrupting my thoughts.

“Of course.” I said with honesty. Tiffany was pretty. With that sparkling eyes and cute lips, she looks stunning. “Why do you ask? You have a crush on her?”

Siwon twitched his lip, suppressing a smile.

I think I know the answer.

“I just admire her.” He said. “Aside from being a good officer, she’s smart too and will do everything to make the school  proud.”

No.

That means there’s another nuisance to our plans.

Just then a hand grasp my shoulder. I looked behind.

It was Yoona.

“Hae.” She muttered. “Let’s talk.”

I know exactly what she’s up to.

She wants herself to be partnered with Siwon so thatlove will bloom.

She still hasn’t given up.

Even though Siwon had busted her once.

I just looked at her.

Now, no chance. Siwon likes Tiffany. And Siwon seemed to be not interested with her.

“Okay.” I whispered to her ear, when Siwon was looking elsewhere. “I know what you want to do.”

A sly smile spread across Yoona’s pretty face.

“I understand.” She muttered. “Now let’s start this.”

Although I know that this would fail and Siwon would not agree, I can’t decline her.

After all, she’s one of my few friends.

And I can’t afford losing her.

Especially because I am already enjoying her company.

We approached Siwon by calling him from a distance. I slowly walked towards him, trying to act as if I don’t know the outcome.

For sure, Siwon would decline this.

“Siwon-ssi.” Asked Yoona, with a tad of formality in her voice. “Can we be partners?”

He appeared to look at us then resumed on what he was actually doing, which was apparently gazing at Tiffany. He sighed once then finally faced us. “Sorry Yoona-ssi.” He said politely. “Me and Tiffany had agreed to be partners since both of us are officers.”

Perhaps for Yoona, the world had fallen in her arms. I imagined her now gritting her teeth, clenching her fists, and glaring at me saying Help-me-now-idiot-.

As I was preparing myself to convince hhim, he bowed down and left, leaving us both in failed euphoria.

“I shall be with Yuri now.”

“Hey, what about me?”

“Look for another.”

I groaned. No one would like themselves to be with me. Even though they already knew I’m only misunderstood, they still fear my expressions.

“No one’s gotta pair with me. I want to pair with you.”

Possibly, that’s not the only reason. I want to be with Yoona.

“I don’t care.” And she left, wrapping her arms around Yuri’s arm.

“I thought you ditched me for Donghae.” I heard her say.

And they vanished to the thin air, leaving me unpartnered.

All students already have their partners. Leeteuk has Eunhyuk. Sooyoung has Taeyeon . Onew has Key.

And then a thought me. Where’s Jessica?

As if on cue, a voice called me.

“Donghae! Let’s be partners.”

I looked behind me, although I know who it was.

A voice that obviously has been forced to come out as an adorable accent.

A voice that I had just heard last time as the voice of a true devil.

A voice Yoona hates.

The voice of Jessica Jung.

Absentmindedly, I just nodded.

After all, do I have a choice?

 

***

“This job looks good.” Said Jessica, trying to sound pleased. “I always do this at home.” She was currently picking up trash in the streets and by the looks of her actions, she seemed to find it gross.

Is that what you call ‘doing it everyday’?

“Is it just me? Or I think you find this job gross?”

And then I saw her roll her big eyes, although she tried to hide it. She then faced me, showing off an adorable face of a big-eyed kid. “No. in actuality, I liked it.” She picked another trash, proving that statement. “See?”

Now it’s my turn to roll my eyes. “Don’t fool me.”

Just then, Jessica summoned her evil smirk, all traces of adorability and cuteness vanishing. She was herself now. Her real self. An angel behind a mask.

“So you knew it?” she asked, with her cold strained voice. “You’re good huh?”

I groaned and grunted at the same time. “Siwon told me that.”

“That idiot.” She hissed to herself. “He said he wanted me to gain friends!”

“He wanted to.” I commented. “He wanted you to gain real friends.”

“Who cares about real friends? I’m not even real!” she thumped her feet to the ground, in frustration.

Just then, a flash of camera blinded our sights. It came repeatedly for a few moments, impairing our vision. When the sight finally settled, I looked to the source, just to find a man, holding a DSLR camera in his hands.

“A huge issue. Jessica Jung with her delinquent boyfriend.”

I sighed. Two misunderstandings in one sentence. What the hell?

 

 ***