The Plight of the Impala

Runningman Oneshot Story Collection (Not Accepting Requests - HIATUS)

I ran and ran, unable to reconcile with my demons. They chased me so and I can only continue my endless plight.

 

The sound of bells was not far from me. But from where? I cannot tell nor can I look back. Afraid to see who was chasing me.

I can’t hear any footsteps, only the eerie sound of bells. My legs are starting to tire. My lungs were burning and screaming at me. My body was already at its limit but I still took another step.

It’s only my will now that keeps me running. I have nothing else, other than the strong desire to escape.

There was suddenly a path before me. But as sudden as it appeared, it also ended just as fast.

I can see the end now, my end. I will be caught, finally. And this will end at last.

Thoughts of the unknown beyond the little road was terrifying but the sound of bells was more frightening.

I’m almost at the end. There is no more, no more place to run into.

The path ended.

But I continued to run.

I was airborne, free. My lungs were filled with much needed air. My legs stopped moving, numb and worn out but at least I can now rest.

But in my mind, I was still running away.

And in the distance was the sound of bells.

And the sound of screams.

And those anguished shouts of terror were…

…unsurprisingly mine.

~~~~~

“Anyeohaseyo hyung—are you okay? Suk Jin…hyung?” Jong kook watched the eldest Running Man run away from him. He wanted to follow his hyung but something told him not to and so he only stood from far away, puzzled and worried.

Suk Jin sat between Jaesuk and Gwang soo who was quick to notice his ashen face and trembling knees. They asked him but only got awkward excuses in return.

Ji hyo saw what happened and eyed Jong kook curiously but the commander could only shrug.

The whole Running Man team tried to guess and ask what Suk Jin’s worry were but he only smiled and said, “I am fine. I was just startled a bit.” Although unconvinced, they still started the filming after the eldest hyung scolded everyone.

The day went on smoothly but Jong kook could sense how uneasy Suk Jin was.

“Today, the four of you will be the chasing team.” Myuk Pd announced. It didn’t escape Jong kook that Suk Jin cringed. And how the race starter trembled at the sight of bells being tied to their shoes. Then they were lead to the car, off to the final destination. Jong kook didn’t say a word but he saw how Suk Jin flinched everytime the bells made a sound, or how he tried so hard not to move his foot.

Jong kook leaned casually towards his hyung and whispered, while Ji hyo and Gwang soo bickered about chasing strategies, “hyung… we are not the ones being chased.”

Suk Jin nodded, but cold sweat still dampened his shirt.

“No need to get scared hyung. We’ll get them.”

Jong kook waited. He gave the older man a gentle squeeze on the shoulder. Gwang soo complained to the Pd that Ji hyo was hitting him. Ji hyo hit the youngest again.

“It will be fine hyung.” Jong kook added, shaking his foot to sound the bell.

Suk Jin flinched once more, but slowly nodded with more conviction. “I-I won’t be starting the race today – I’ll be the one to end it.” Suk Jin let out a sigh of relief and smiled weakly, muttering an embarrassed thanks to the commander

Jong kook grinned back, and then forced apart the two bickering noona dongsaeng pair to discuss tactics with their eldest hyung.

That day the race starter didn’t start the race. He didn’t end it either, but after that, he never had another terrifying dream again.

~~~~~

There was no more path, again. No more place to hide or run. But nothing was painful anywhere, my heart is not even beating fast.

I am at peace. Although I can still hear the sound of bells nearby.

I stopped running, no more afraid, just before I reach the edge.

The ringing sounds stopped and I looked down.

A bell was tied in my shoe.

I let out a chuckle, collapsing and falling down to eternity. Not that I care, it doesn’t really matter anymore.

I woke up, to find myself in the floor, my son and wife looking at me as if I had gone crazy but soon they also joined me laughing at my silly mistake.

I am lucky for my families, both here and there.

 


I am really sorry for not updating but classes started again and it's my last semester and I want to gradute so badly >.< thanks for reading ^^