Same Age Friends

Runningman Oneshot Story Collection (Not Accepting Requests - HIATUS)

 

It was a cold night and Joong ki was lying on the ground bleeding. His flower boy looks were marred by ugly bruises, his body so worn out and unmoving that he could be dead. He lay down in the cold ground, so broken and lost. From a distance, Gwang soo watched, unable to do anything. He can already feel the tears at the corner of his eyes threatening to fall as he watched the heartbreaking scene in front of him.

Suddenly it rained but Joong ki stayed unmoving, letting the rain drench him. Gwang soo can see clearly how his small frame shivered in the cold. His friend might’ve been crying but because of the rain, he can’t really tell. He wished he can run to him and cover him with blankets but he knows he’ll be only scolded if he did.

“Cut! Good work Joong ki-yah.” The director hit the slate and Gwang soo snatched the towel from one of the crews, rushed to the flower boy’s side, helped him up and wrapped him in the towel. Joong ki looked at him curiously, his brows knitted together.

“Gwang soo-yah, had you been crying again?” The taller man shook his head aggressively and denied the accusation. “I wasn’t, what are you talking about? It must be the rain.” He got a hit from his best friend.

“Pabo, it was fake rain how could you get wet when it was solely focused on me? Besides I told you not to wait for me, your scene had ended and you still have to film for Running man tomorrow. Go home Gwang soo.”

“I know, but I just wanted to cheer you up. This melodrama is crazy and it’s draining the life force out of us. I just thought you’d feel better if I’m here.” Joong ki only smiled as he patted the giraffe’s shoulder. “Thanks but go home and rest. They are eyeing us weirdly you know.” Sure enough, Gwang soo caught some looks directed at them, questioning their closeness. He said his farewell to everyone and left with a heavy heart.

It was always like that between the same age friends. Gwang soo would always wait on his best friend like a puppy or a clingy girlfriend that sometimes other people joke about their real status. The giraffe would always worry for his best friend who doesn’t seem to know what the word rest really means.

 Joong ki had always been enthusiastic, so focused and driven on his work that sometimes he forgets himself. He had always been stubborn, always refusing help and living all alone. There was even a time that the actor had been sick for two days and he didn’t even call.

 

--------------------

 

Gwang soo had been calling Joong ki for the last hour but he wasn’t answering. He tried calling the manager but he hadn’t seen his charge for two days. He almost swore on the man whom he had always suspected of not really being too concerned for Joong ki but stopped himself because he knows his friend would feel bad. After getting no results to his friend’s whereabouts, Gwang soo decided to search his apartment.

Gwang soo arrived at Joong ki’s place and let himself in by guessing the password. It was easy because Joong ki always uses the date he filmed his last Running Man episode as his password. The giraffe went in and was greeted by silence. He called out but there was no answer. The place was unnaturally still, as if no one lived there.

He went to the bedroom and saw Joong ki lying down on the bed, his face damp with sweat. He was trembling despite being wrapped in a thick comforter, his eyes closed tight as if in pain. Gwang soo panicked and started to dial for an ambulance but Joong ki scolded him.

“Gwang soo-yah, it’s nothing. I can’t let myself be in the headlines just because of this.” Joong ki was really stubborn and Gwang soo had no choice but to drop the call. He sat beside the pretty boy and touched his forehead, gasping when Joong ki felt so hot to his touch.

“Joong ki, I think –”

“Don’t make me talk anymore. I’m hungry.”

“You stubborn little kid! You… really, aissh! Okay, just wait until you’re better and I’ll seriously…” Joong ki only let a weak laugh and coughed sending Gwang soo running outside to buy food and medicine. He nursed Joong ki until the flower boy was strong enough to throw him out.

“You got filming Gwang soo-yah, go home and rest.”

“But you’re still unwell. I could just crash in the sofa and the filming would start in the afternoon so it’s fine. I’d stay.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. I’m already fine because of you chingu-yah, I’ll just sleep and I’ll be good as new. No need to stay.”

“Seriously, how could you throw me out after everything? Yah, what if I didn’t come? You should have at least called someone.”

“But I know you’d come. Go home now, I’ll be fine.”

Gwang soo never won over Joong ki. He nodded and gathered his things quietly. As he walked out of the door, Joong ki watched him with a smile. “Thanks Gwang soo-yah.” The giraffe smiled back and said good-bye.

 

--------------------

 

Gwang soo didn’t feel like going home after the filming for Nice Guy. He knows it wasn’t real but his heart twinge at the memory of bloody Joong ki in the rain. He wanted to stay but he was dragged and forced to the car.

Gwang soo was driving aimlessly until he found himself in front of Gary’s restaurant and was thankful that the establishment was open until late hours – perfect for celebrities filming late at night.

Gwang soo walked in and was grateful that all was quiet and no one paid him any attention. He nodded to a waiter and ordered a meal. He was in deep thoughts when a man sat in front of him.

“Oh, hyung…” he said rather weakly. Even Gary knew right away that the younger man is troubled.

“What’s this? I thought you were excited to see me so you went here instead of waiting until tomorrow. Didn’t you come here to see hyung?” Gary joked as he waved to a staff.

“Umm, I was feeling hungry.”

“Ah so you like food better than me…”

“Eyy, hyung, save the lines for the females will you.” Gwang soo replied, his smile not reaching his eyes.

Gary observed him. He knows his dongsaeng always slumped but today he was bent extra low, he sighed more often and he can’t seem to place his hand on one spot. Gary reached up and placed his hands on top of Gwang soo’s. The giraffe’s eyes widened and he gasped making Gary laugh.

“Hyung! What are you doing! We are in public.”

“Your hands, it’s distracting me. Keep still.” Gary said totally unaware of the giraffe blushing at the gesture. “Gwang soo, women are all like that. I know it’s hard but –”

“Hyung I’m not having any problems, err about women. In fact, I’m not seeing anyone. I think that’s the problem… I mean no. I don’t want, it’s not like I don’t like but…”

“Oh, so you mean it’s men problem? Like frustration on se –”

“Hyung! It’s not that. I’m actually umm just a bit worried. It’s actually about Joong ki.”

“Oh so it’s really a man problem. Why, are you two dating?” Gary said in a straight tone that made Gwang soo face palm. He thought that he should’ve just come home right away. “It’s not like that hyung. He’s overworking himself again. Being the stubborn man he is, I know he just can’t admit that he can’t anymore and I’m worried that he’ll just collapse like noona before.”

“I know. I was just joking, hoping to make you smile. Why don’t you invite Joong ki to hang out sometimes with all of us?”

“You know he won’t show up. The filming’s crazy. The pressure could kill and schedule’s so hectic it’s suffocating. I don’t know, I wish I can help him out.” Gary once again tried to comfort that giraffe by placing his hand on top of the taller one’s but Gwang soo immediately withdrew his hands. “Eyy hyung, what if we get photographed.”

“Why? I’m just comforting you!” said Gary, his face trying so hard to be serious it was almost comedic. Gwang soo relaxed enough and laughed seeing his hyung give too much effort.

“Finally you smiled.” Gwang soo’s smile faded and stared at Gary as if the older one had just proposed to him. “Yah, it’s you who’s thinking weird things Gwang soo. I’m really trying to cheer you up you know.” At that point, Gwang soo’s meal arrived and Gary left him so he could enjoy his meal in peace.

“Hyung thanks for the meal!” Gary smiled and shoved a rather long list, which turned out to be the bill, to Gwang soo. The giraffe’s eyes widened at the total. “Hyung are you crazy? Even the toothpick? What’s this?”

“It’s a joke! Of course, it’s on the house. Now go and live happily ever after with your Joong ki. But really, Joong ki’s not a kid Gwang soo, don’t worry too much.” said Gary laughing and waved off Gwang soo’s payment.

 

--------------------

 

“Joong ki-yah, would you like to go to Gary hyung’s tomorrow? The director said we could take the day off.”

Joong ki seemed to consider but smiled sadly when his manager told him that he needs to attend a photo shoot. Gwang soo nodded not wanting to press his friend.

They were left alone in the makeshift dressing room and then Joong ki turned to him with a bright smile that made thousands of fan girls crazy.

“Why? Why are you looking at me like that Joong ki-yah?” The flower boy only continued to smile and lifted one corner of the tent. Then he went out through the opening and Gwang soo followed albeit not understanding the situation. When he finally won in the struggle to get his tall frame out of the tent, Joong ki grabbed him and they ran away. It was amazing that the staff didn’t see them.

“Joong ki-yah, wait, I’m tired.” They both slowed down and the pretty boy tossed him a cap. “Cover up your face.” They both donned their caps low and found themselves outside a pojamangka.

“Won’t they look for us?” Joong ki didn’t answer and ordered food for them. “Ajumma, give us two servings of ddeokbokki, sundae, fish cakes and a bottle of soju here.”

“Yah Joong ki are you crazy?”

“Gwang soo-yah, let’s forget for a while neh? Let’s just pretend we are some high school dropouts or lazy bums who got no job… let’s just not be us.” Gwang soo felt the weariness in his friend’s voice and nodded.

“We have 20 minutes until they go panicking in the set Gwang soo.”

“Ajumma palli! We got no time –” Gwang soo was scolded of course to which Joong ki snickered. The flower boy winked at the ajumma and she blushed. “Yah what are you doing to that ajumma?” said Gwang soo as they sat on the farthest table, Joong ki only shrugged with a laugh. Gwang soo had never seen his friend laugh like that before.

A group of girls went to them and asked for Joong ki’s autograph. Gwang soo felt annoyed, why can’t people let them have their 20 minutes of peace? He knows it was a rare opportunity for those fans but he really wanted Joong ki to feel normal.

“Kids, don’t be fooled by that . He spent his time blackmailing people before finally getting surgery to look like an actor. What’s his name? Ah, it’s Joong ki. He’s an impersonator.” The ‘fake’ Joong ki almost gagged at his drink and to Gwang soo’s surprise, he turned to the girls and spoke in a voice so bad that the words were almost incoherent.

“Ahw, sho I hap fansh? Lemt me shign, whrp? (Aw, so I have fans? Let me sign, where?)” Turning to Gwang soo, Joong ki grinned. He still failed to make himself look ugly but at least the girls scrammed. “Gwang soo that’s so mean but really brilliant.”

“I’m framer Gwang soo remember?”

They continued to eat talking about things not related to the entertainment field. Gwang soo realized how much his friend craved for something normal. That even his habit of riding subways was his way of feeling human. He had always worried for Joong ki but he really never knew what his friend needed – Joong ki only wanted to be himself.

“Gwang soo have you ever got tired of being so famous?”

“Why, are you tired of being a celebrity?”

“Not really, I want this so badly, but there are times that I miss these kind of things. I don’t really regret anything, even if I had to give up on running man… I might even sacrifice you… but if I did then that’s the first thing I’ll ever regret.” The conversation faded into silence. Both of them nibbled their food. Gwang soo never really felt tired of his status. Although people find it funnier to ignore him, he doesn’t mind the attention but Joong ki was different.

“Time’s up, Gwang soo-yah, let’s go back.”

With heavy steps, both left their unfinished meals and left. Joong ki lead the way, whistling and looking happier.

As they neared the filming site Joong ki turned to him abruptly. “Gwang soo –yah, you know that I’m really thankful right? You make me feel normal… I mean, if it’s you I’m me and whatever happens we’ll be friends.”

“Of course I know...”

“Then I hope we get to be friends until we’re 50 or if we live as long a Jong kook hyung until we are 200. We will make films, dramas, commercials, and photo shoots until people get tired of us. We’ll ride subways, eat street foods, get drunk on the streets… would that be all right?”

“We would… I’m always here and–” his words trailed off when Joong ki’s manager saw them and they were ushered to the site.

It was Joong ki’s scene again. He was sporting another botched eye, busted lips, and more blood than before… but Gwang soo watched it without feeling bad anymore. He even smiled when Joong ki looked at his direction for a while.

Little by little, he’s starting to understand his friend’s stubbornness. He had always been like that, Joong ki had always done his best, always strived past his limits and even if he couldn’t agree with everything he does, Gwang soo knows he’ll never abandon the flower boy.


I don't know if this counts as a request but I did it because of sleepylips who mentioned before that she likes the interaction between Gary and Gwang soo and she also mentioned same age friends. 

Thanks for reading ^_^