Sundays

Runningman Oneshot Story Collection (Not Accepting Requests - HIATUS)

It was Sunday. Typically, Jong kook would have been with his mom. Spend the whole day in their old family house taking care of the garden, fixing broken little stuffs. Then in the afternoons, they’d both sit outside with some snacks, just talking about anything -- that was… until he met her. He still visits his mom regularly on any day he was free, except Sunday.

 

He smiled when he remembered why Sunday was theirs. It’s simply because he was jealous of Monday boyfriend so Jihyo conditions him before that day, which is Sunday, and it just happened like that. Sometimes they’d go out but most of the time they just stay on his apartment, watch movies, cook and then take her home by eight o’clock.

 

He never accepts any work on Sundays unless it’s a wedding, and he makes sure to bring Gwang soo so that the ‘ajumeonis’ wouldn’t be able to match make him with their daughters, nieces, neighbors etc. Ji hyo also makes sure she get breaks on Sundays, but if really needed, like the good boyfriend he was, he doesn’t ask any question and just tell her to take care. And he’d silently add that he loves her, and that he’ll miss her, then burn bright red when Ji hyo pulls him for a kiss, which never failed to remove the pout in his face.
 

It was Sunday and twice in a row already, she missed their rendezvous. The first time was because she was sick. He was really worried and annoyed that he couldn’t visit her in her house because some stupid paparazzi were there. He wanted her to go to the hospital so that it wouldn’t look weird if he was there, but she was very stubborn. She even showed up, pale as a ghost, cheeks gaunt and her nose runny, the next day for Running Man, which made him agitated the whole day. His poor teammates suffered badly for being the receiving end of his temper.

 

Last week she was shooting an emergency ad just because the director or some big shot wasn’t available during the scheduled time. He smiled and just told her softly that he missed her. She was at least on his team the next day but with everyone around them, he couldn’t do anything or even ask her about her week. He ached so badly to have her in his arms. He wanted so badly to just reach out and tell the whole world she was his -- that she’s only his -- Ji hyo turned to look at him that time and he just nodded in assurance, hiding his pain behind a smile.

 

He looked wistfully at his kitchen, staring at the Bulgogi dish he had prepared for her knowing how she loved eating it with plenty of special side dish they made with his mom. He even bought beer and was prepared to drink it with her. If only she’d come. He glanced at his phone but there’s not even a message.

He smiled, a tear threatening to fall… he doesn’t even know why he was sad. He felt that their time, their conversations, everything’s changing, becoming shorter each day. Still, he was there only loving her more and more. He has never been really good in saying things, and he was afraid Ji hyo didn’t know how much he loved her. But he wished with his all that she knew and felt it, that she heard what his heart has been saying the whole time.

 

Jong kook wiped his eyes and walked towards the kitchen to make sure the food was still warm. He covered it first then sat on the breakfast nook staring at the meal.

 

He smiled looking around him as memories of her materialized. There in front of him was her favorite chair. She said she liked it there because she could see everything and she could bother him while he prepares food for her. He would be busy in the kitchen counter and she’d always sneak behind him and hug him tight. He’d tell her to behave and she’d scowl so cutely that he’d stop what he’s doing to cage her in his arms.

 

Sometimes she’d run to his fridge as soon as she arrives whenever it was hot outside, complain that he has no soda or juice but only water. He’d only smile at her then reveal his secret stash, chuckling as Ji hyo get her fill of beer. Yes, he had spoiled her so much. He bent his rules, ate his pride, and swallowed his temper… he did everything and it wasn’t so hard because he loved her.

 

 

There was a faint sound of footsteps and Jong kook rushed to the door, opening it before the other one could. She was there, finally. She’s finally in front of his eyes, the woman who never failed to knock the breath out of him, the one his heart had always wanted. His woman, his only one.

 

Before Ji hyo could say a word she was in his arms, his muscles tense around her. “O-oppa!”

Jong kook looked surprised to see her face scrunched up and red. She was breathing hard and laughing at the same time. He chuckled. “Sorry, I just m-missed y-you… I, I was –”“—oppa, you thought I wasn’t coming?”

 

He shook his head, he had always trusted her, never doubted her. “I thought something bad happened… I was just worried.” he mumbled. Why was it so hard to speak? What he really wanted to say was he missed her so much, he loves her and he wished they’d never part because it was killing him. Instead, he pointed at the kitchen. “I cooked.”

“This looks good.” She said as she uncovered his masterpiece. She took a bite and smiled and he grinned back. Silence had never been uncomfortable with them and though he was a bit sulky for not seeing her for a while, he was easy to appease. She only needs to look at him, and he’d know they were okay and he’s contented with that. He never wanted to make her worried.

 

“Oppa, let’s eat.”

“Neh, everything okay?”

“Had a bit of car trouble but it’s okay now. Min hee-yah brought the car to the mechanic.” she said before putting a spoonful of rice in . She didn’t notice how Jong kook stopped chewing and just swallowed hard.

 

“How’d you get here then?” he asked, and he thought she answered a little bit too slow, making him worried.

 

Ji hyo stopped eating and looked at him with that aegyo she rarely shows. He didn’t like it one bit, in fact he knew there was something more he didn’t know.

 

“Oppa, it’s him or the public transportation…” she held his hand and looked at his eyes. They were still okay. There’s nothing wrong and he was just being paranoid. “Gary oppa happened to be near, I tried the others but they were all… busy.”

 

He looked away hearing his name, fighting the urge to be jealous. “It’s fine. As long as you’re here now.”

“Gary oppa asked me to have lunch with him that’s why I was late.” She replied knowing well it was what her boyfriend wanted to know. Jong kook raised his brows. “Oppa, I only accompanied him, Min hee ate with him but I only watched.” Hedidn’t say anything.

 

“Oppa…” she said in that voice of her that was full of aegyo, and charm. Jong kook didn’t look. He knew what would happen if he did. “Oppa! Kookie, Jong kookie, Kim Jong kookie! Yah Kookie monster!”

 

He burst laughing in his shirt and spilled sauce on his front. He slowly raised his head, looking at her as he grinned and she mirrored the same expression in her face. She still never failed to melt his heart. He was hers, only hers no matter how how jealous he gets.

 

They finished their meal longer than they usually did since they were just grinning and laughing at each other, smearing sauce on each other’s face. Then Ji hyo cleaned the sauce on his finger, making him growl. “Ji hyo,” he warned her, but she only stuck her tongue at him.

 

Jong kook did the dishes while Ji hyo cleaned up the table. After a while, he felt her sneak behind him but he pretended not to notice. She back hugged him and he chuckled, feeling her soft, warmth. “Yah, Mong Ji this back hug is getting a habit of yours… even outside.”

“Are you afraid they’ll find out?”

 

He froze. He always told her he wanted to come out clean with their relationship that he was never scared to let everyone know. Without hesitation he answered, “No. you know that.”

“Yeah, I know.” she muttered, her face pressed on his back. He could feel her heave, her warm breath penetrating through his clothes. “It was me who’s scared oppa… I’m sorry, I’m really sorry.” she mumbled in a voice that broke his heart. “I’m not someone who likes being weak or scared, but with you… this feeling, it’s scary how much I love you.

“I just want it to be us oppa. I don’t want other people in this and destroy us.”

“Ji hyo, no one could do that to us, I won’t let that happen.”

“I love you so much that’s why I was scared.”

 

He felt her tighten her hug, and he didn’t speak. He understood. He knew why she was scared, just how the past was for him. It was even more terrible for her. Soon her little whimpers evolved into full-blown sobbing and he couldn’t hold it anymore.

 

“Ji hyo-yah…” he said turning around to face her, cupping her cheeks in his large rough hands. He used his thumb to dry her tears, smiling gently at her.  Ji hyo’s hands still encircled his sides, as if scared he’d disappear. “You told me before why you hold me like this, Ji hyo-yah…” she nodded. “Tell me again.”

 

She pressed her face in his shirt despite the Bulgogi stains and blew her nose making both of them laugh. “You loved a really gross woman, oppa. Do you hate me now?” he shook his head.

“I am scared to let others know about us, don’t you feel mad oppa?”

“No, because I knew scary… it was only when I met you and decided to fall for you that I had been brave. Before you, I was nothing… but you haven’t answered my question Ji hyo-yah.”

“Oppa, it’s because when I hold you like this…” she ran her hands along his back and he leaned on the counter, his arms already around her. “I feel safe, so safe oppa.”

“Me too… why I don’t feel scared. It’s because it’s worst not having you -- because I… even though I rarely say it, I love you. I love you so much and I don’t want to see your back, I don't want to see you walking away from me again.”

"Jong kook oppa,”

“Ji hyo... then let me just hold you forever so you wouldn’t be scared anymore. If having me around, holding my hand, hugging me... makes you feel at peace… I’ll be your talisman. I would always be beside you.

 

“Ji hyo-yah, don’t leave me again, this is home now.” Jong kook finished, the hours of practicing his speech now forgotten since he found something better and more honest.

 

She nodded and sometimes silence was enough, sometimes it means more than a thousand words, more efficient and effective than the mouth.

 

“Reach in my pocket…” he whispered in her ear. “I was serious when I said this would be home now, or later on… soon.”

 

 Wondering what it was, she did it without any questions and pulled out a ring from his pocket, gaping in shock.

 

“O-oppa…”

“Yes, I’m sorry I can’t make it anymore romantic… I tried it on the food but I didn’t want you choking on it, I also –” She silenced him, her lips slightly grazing his, but the intensity was still so great. That current crackling around them, her scent and the overwhelming feel of her soft, moist lips… he knew he’d never be able to get enough of her for eternity.

 

“It’s really very romantic, because it’s you Kim-ssi and those words… I too, I also don’t want you be paired with anyone except me. I can’t stand your loveliness anymore. I want to be the only one who stays beside you.”

“But you are. You are my only one. You are Kim Jong Kook’s Song Ji hyo.”

 

This time, it was he who pulled her to him. He met her lips for a passionate kiss that both left them breathless and more in love with each other than before. 


For my friend, thanks for everything and I hope this is not too much of a failure >.< sorry it's all I could manage DX