Milk Carton and Water Bottle

Runningman Oneshot Story Collection (Not Accepting Requests - HIATUS)

 


The annual Foundation week in IBED-HS is fast approaching. For a week, everyone can enjoy the different events and competitions. Students like it very much for the 'no class' reason alone. The events include basketball, soccer, kickball, baseball, Mr. and Ms. IBED, essay contests, board games, cultural festival, cheer dance and more. They have more than 50 events that Ji hyo wondered if those were all possible to finish in a week. For a transfer student like her, it was hard to understand. She had never liked sports. She had never heard of a school having a citywide race. The big city where she lived before wasn’t boring but this kind of fun was something she doesn’t know how to handle.

A month before the anticipated week begins, all of the students were divided into five teams. She looked for familiar faces but found no one. She realized that she hasn’t really made an effort to know more people. She doesn’t understand too why the system was like that and so she must have looked lost because a stranger approached her. “Hey…” a brawny boy called her attention. He sat down on the ground like everyone else and tapped the space beside him. Ji hyo had no choice but to sit down carefully to not touch him... “You are the new student right? I am a fourth year student, Kim Jong kook.” she smiled awkwardly and quickly looked away. The boy seemed gruff but he was friendly. He wasn’t threatening but it’s just that Ji hyo doesn’t really feel too comfortable around strangers.

The meeting started and the teachers got the names of who’s playing for what event. People were voted and volunteered to take charge for each event. They started gathering then she was surprised when the sunbae beside her was voted to be in charge of dance. He seemed to be more of a sports person to her. There were more shouting, more names were called until she realized everyone had already chosen their events except her. She didn’t know what to do.

She heard people voting for the overall chairperson and Kim Jong kook’s name was being chanted. The boy is popular and he is looking at her. She ignored him as people ignored her. The other teams moved out and planned their practice. A group of teachers gathered the lists of students. Some planned the team chant and uniform. There were around 500 of them and all had dispersed leaving her in the middle. Jong kook is now talking with the teachers, probably to organize the practices. She turned around and walked away.

 

 

One thing she likes in her new school is its library. It was quiet and not much people go there. The working student in-charge of the place was her only friend. Her school was a former all boy’s school. It had been five years already but the school still have a long way to go before they can finally balance the female and male population of their students. In her class, there are only eleven girls. She didn’t like the attention or the questions about the city so people thought of her as cold. She likes keeping to herself and people finally got that after 6 months. All her free time, she spent alone on the corner of that old library.

The librarian smiled at her and she timidly smiled back. She pulled a random book. It was a romance book and she quickly put it back. She is in high school already but she doesn’t believe in love. She likes being alone, and the thought of boys going after her is creepy. She settled for a thriller book and sat on her favorite chair. In no time, she had finished a chapter already. That’s when she felt a pair of eyes looking at her. “Why are you here alone? Everyone is having fun on the grounds.” she almost dropped her book as she stared back at those little brown eyes. She wanted him to go away. “I am not interested.”

“Oh, I’ve heard from my cousins that the city doesn’t have this kind of events. It’s really fun.”

“I don’t play sports. I don’t like to sweat and I'm easily sunburned. I don’t have the stamina or the patience.”

“There are indoor games. Chess, scrabble, word factory… essay contest, oration. We do everything here.”

“I am not interested.”

“It is required to be a part of something. I don’t really want to use this to you but you have to join something.” Ji hyo bit her lip. She had heard of that stupid rule but she thought she can get pass that. “Do you want to organize our team with me, Ji hyo-ssi?” Ji hyo looked at Jong kook and wondered how he knew her name. He never lost his smile nor did he go away even if she glared at him. She doesn’t like strangers especially persistent ones. “I checked your name from the list Ji hyo-ssi. You can help me and join the organizing committee. It’s easy, you just have to stay in our office, organize stuff and make sure there are food and water for participants. 3 more people will be helping you plus me.” more people and Ji hyo practically groaned. “That’s only 4 people. Other events require you to be with 20. So what do you think?” Ji hyo averted her gaze, the boy seemed to be reading her easily. He was not voted to be the chairperson for nothing. He was persistent and convincing. She slowly nodded her head and the boy broke into a bigger smile if that’s even possible, his eyes are totally hidden now. For the first time in her life, Ji hyo thought boys aren't all bad.

---------------------------

 

A month before the much-awaited week, they worked hard and prepared. After class, together with Jong kook, Lee Gwang Soo, Ha Dong hoon and Yoo Jae suk, they checked their team's needs. Ji hyo was always left in their makeshift office and her companions had already accepted the fact that she can’t deal with people easily. She liked her work even if she wouldn’t admit it. She only has to organize papers and inventory supplies. She handles all the equipments and permission slips. One more thing she likes is seeing Jong kook practice their dance. He joined the hip-hop team and they practice right in front of their office. She would tally the inventories while she sneaked glances at him.

She thinks Jong kook is a good dancer. He has a bigger built than everybody else did but he moves fluidly, with a grace you wouldn’t expect from someone like him. It was like those scenes in the movies where dancers literally flow with the wind. Whenever she watches him, she is always in awe. He leads the team efficiently and Ji hyo can see that every day they are getting better. “Ji hyo-yah!” she almost dropped her pen as a sweaty Jong kook called out to her. “Neh?” she shyly responded. She doesn’t really like talking because of her different accent. “What do you think Ji hyo-yah?”

“What? Me? I didn’t see.” Jong kook only smiled and he went to her. He grabbed her hand and dragged her outside. To say that she was shocked was an understatement as she looked at their clasped hands. She wasn’t able to say no and Jong kook made her sit in a bench. He started the music and the team danced in front of her. It was flawless. It was comparable to the dance of her favorite idols. After the short performance Jong kook once again asked her and she only raised her thumb to tell them she liked it. “Aigoo, you’re too shy.” he patted her head and it felt good. “Okay guys let’s continue practice tomorrow. Make sure you study the second part.” the others went away, leaving him and Ji hyo alone. “You were good,” she whispered without looking at him and so she missed that wide smile he gave her.

“Hyung! Jong kook hyung!” Gwang soo ran towards them panting hard. He collapsed beside Ji hyo, his words coming out in gasps. “H-hyung… the cheer dancers… problem.” Ji hyo quickly got a bottle of water that the tall boy drank in a jiffy. “What happened Gwang soo-yah?" Jong kook asked. “Hyung, Sae Yoon noona… she can’t dance anymore.”

“What? Why, what happened?”

“They were practicing some lifting but she fell and sprained her ankle.” Jong kook went with Gwang soo and Ji hyo watched them until they were out of sight.

 

 

“Ji hyo-yah, please? It is easy, we hired a trainer for this and besides I will help you out.”

“But I can’t.” she walked faster but she can’t get away from the persistent boy. “Please Ji hyo-yah, there’s no one beside you.” Ji hyo sighed, she wanted to help but she can’t dance. “Listen Kim Jong kook, I can’t differentiate between the left and the right. I get stage fright, there are too many people, and I have no –”

“I know… but please consider it carefully. Our green team only has 80 girls, 40 of them are in cheer dance but one is injured. The other 40 are balancing around 20 events among themselves. Most girls have 2-3 events already... I can’t ask anyone to take one more event. I can’t ask the boys since it’s an all girls squad.”

“I am no good.”

“Have you ever tried it?”

“No.”

“Come with me then.” she had no choice but to follow him again.

 

It was already 7 pm but there she is with Jong kook in a playground. They dropped their bags in a bench. Jong kook then made her stand under a streetlight. He raised his hand, “follow me Ji hyo.” she tried to mirror him, her heart raced inside her chest. He raised his right foot while he shot his arms up in the air before bringing them down in another position. Ji hyo followed slowly, she can’t. Jong kook stood in front of her as he corrected her pose. He was so absorbed in teaching her that he didn't noticed how flustered she has become. “Stretch your arms more, raise your knees a little bit higher, and lastly enjoy it. Try to follow me even if you make mistakes.” the whole time Ji hyo was looking at him, wondering why she is letting him do that to her. He started to dance and she imitated him. At first, she would stumble. She would raise her left foot when he raises his right ones but soon she found herself enjoying despite the mistakes. She slowly got better, not quite perfectly but nearly. She bent, kicked, circled, stepped, jumped and finally she smiled.

“You weren’t bad Ji hyo-yah…”

“You were a good teacher I guess.”

“Yah, listen to me. You are good, it’s because of you not me, okay?” she doesn’t know why he is saying that but still she nodded since they sounded pleasing. “So I’ll expect you to practice with the others tomorrow?” she nodded, she can’t believe she did. “Can I still do the committee thing with you?” he smiled again that likeable smile, making her heart skip a beat. She is slowly liking being with him. “Of course Ji hyo, we are a team.”

That night Ji hyo slept smiling. He added Jong kook to the list of her friends and then decided to add the other three too. For the first time, she looked forward to going to her new school.

---------------------------

 

“So how’s practice Ji hyo?” Jong kook asked Ji hyo as she went in their office. She was practically beaming. She didn’t mind the heat, the other girls were friendly and although she prefers Jong kook teaching her the steps, the trainer wasn’t bad. “I had fun.”

“Glad to hear that Ji hyo.” he didn’t say anything again. She wondered where the others are. She noticed him humming, his eyes trained on a piece of paper. She walked closer to him but he didn’t look up. She peered from his back, it was a copy of a song lyrics. He turned around abruptly, their face getting closer in the process. Ji hyo blushed, and Jong kook looked flustered himself. “J-Ji hyo…”

“Sorry… I was just wondering what you were doing.”

“I uh, I will sing. We don’t have a representative for male solo so I have to.” her eyes circled in amazement, she can’t deny the fact that she wanted to hear his voice. “Can you listen to me practice?” he asked and she nodded. He cleared his throat, he looked nervous. He laughed awkwardly then looked away. Ji hyo thought he was adorable. “Don’t laugh Ji hyo-yah.” he blushed and Ji hyo nodded again more eagerly this time. His gentle voice filled the empty room. It was sweet and sincere. Ji hyo felt at peace, the song spoke to her. It was heartwarming. She closed her eyes as she lost herself in his voice. He stopped singing and he looked at her bashfully. Neither said a word for a while.

“Was it good?” she nodded as she slowly clapped her hand. He amazed her again, he was perfect. “Oppa, it was really good.”

“Did you just call me oppa?” she nodded and grinned at him. They have truly become closer.

---------------------------

 

“I am nervous oppa” Ji hyo fidgeted. The others had gone home already but Ji hyo’s practice took longer to finish and Jong kook waited for her. Tomorrow they’ll have the cheer dance competition for the opening of Foundation week and she was super nervous. “Don’t worry Ji hyo-yah, you’ll be fine.”

“But… I can mess up. I…” Jong kook coaxed her to stand up and he started to dance the familiar routine. “Oppa how… did you memorize our steps?”

“I was watching you.” Ji hyo blushed at his words. She stood beside him and soon both of them danced in silence as they played an imaginary song in their heads. After only two weeks of rigorous practice, Ji hyo had gotten better. She no longer trips, no more stumbles. She closed her eyes, feeling the flow of her body, feeling him beside her. They synchronized well without missing a step. He looked at her intensely both of them lost in nonexistent music. Their eyes never left each other the whole time. Their bodies now moved on its own accord as they enjoyed the moment. They rhythmically followed the beat of their hearts. It was beautiful... it was memorable. They stopped, their hands meeting for the finale. He pulled her closer, supporting her as she bent low, her legs slowly rising to the air. It was the crux of the routine. She completed the turn. Landed softly with finesse and breathed hard as she realized what she had just done. He clapped his hands in admiration while all she can do was be amazed.

“You guys will win tomorrow Ji hyo-yah.”

“Thank you.” for letting her experience fun, for pulling her out of her hole, for letting her know being under the sun isn’t that bad and mostly for making her feel those sweet emotions… she was thankful. 

He walked her home. They hesitated at the gate of her house. “See you tomorrow oppa.” she turned her back to him, faced the gate but did not went in. She hoped he would say something. “Ji hyo-yah…” he sighed, it was not the confident Jong kook she had first met but a shy one. But no matter how he is, she liked him. “Umm nothing, rest and make sure you wake up early tomorrow.”

“Neh oppa, see you tomorrow I guess” after that, he was gone.

---------------------------

 

It was the day of the competition. Ji hyo nervously wore a jacket over her cheer dance outfit. She checked her face in the mirror and her mom went in. For a while, they fought about make-ups. She lost and her mom put blush on and lipstick on her face. Ji hyo quickly wiped them away and rushed outside their house. “Ji hyo-yah!” Jong kook was there with a brown bag in his hands. He averted his eyes from her and Ji hyo tugged at her skirt. “Oppa, why are you here?”

“I umm, I brought you breakfast.” she shyly accepted the bag and opened it. Inside were her favorite bread and a carton of milk, she wondered how he knew she likes those. “Thanks oppa…” he took her bag and told her to eat comfortably. He felt different somehow and Ji hyo realized boys aren’t really creepy. As she nibbled her food, she took that chance to observe him. He was quite handsome in his tan. His eyes though small are charming but she likes it best when he smiles. She took the milk and a cute note was there.

I like you Song Ji hyo

She almost choked as she read the little note over and over again. She looked at Jong kook who’s now scratching his head awkwardly. She tried not to smile but she knows she herself was flustered. She pointed at the carton. She can’t believe it was not a dream.

“Ji hyo-yah, I really liked you even before I came to you at the library.” she didn’t know what to say. Honestly, she was attracted to him too, but it was a foreign feeling. She doesn't know what to do. “Why do you like me oppa?” he looked at her with a curious expression. It was as if she had just asked the silliest question ever. “Ji hyo-yah you are amazing, pretty and I like being with you. When will you realize the fact that you have a lot of good qualities?” he looked hurt for her. “You don’t have to answer me now Ji hyo-yah. It’s okay.” he walked silently beside her. She kept on looking at the carton of milk. She was amazing and pretty. He thought she was. She thought no one would ever like her. He likes her.

 

 

“For our grand Champion… the crowd's favorite. The one and only girls pep squad, the green team! Congratulations!” Ji hyo jumped in joy, many arms surrounded her. Everyone cheered for them, some of the dancers cried. The hard work paid off. Ji hyo was happy but she wanted to see his smile. She wanted to tell that person that she did it. She turned around and he was there at the stage getting the award as their representative. He bowed to everyone, but his eyes are trained on her. “I want to thank the judges, our teachers, handlers and trainers for guiding and helping us. Of course, to our precious girls, this is all because your hard work. To all my teammates, I want all of you to remember, each of you are special. You are very important, if I say you are good you are good. You are not worthless. Please believe in yourself because I believe in you. Green team, this is only the start let’s win some more!” all the green wearing people shouted and cheered. She knows it’s his message for everyone but the whole time he was just looking at her.

 

The first day of sports week was a success. The green team had advanced in most events. Now that the cheer dance was finished. Ji hyo spent her time in the office taking care of work. She was alone and was locking up for the night when Jong kook went in. “Oh, Ji hyo-yah… you’re still here.” he opened the icebox and took out a bottle of water. Ji hyo ignored him as she smiled to herself silently.

Jong kook looked at the water bottle wondering if it was a dream. “Ji hyo-yah, what’s this?”

“It’s exactly what you see. A water bottle answer for your milk carton confession.” Jong kook grinned in disbelief and read the message again. 

I like you too Jong kook oppa.

He didn’t want to drink the water anymore. He wanted to keep it forever. “Ji hyo-yah, you don’t know how happy I am. So… are we dating now?”

“Neh… but you know I don't like sports, I hate dealing with people, I don't like crowded places and -"

"I know and I still like you." he walked closer to her and held her hand. All the time they were just grinning at each other. Jong kook placed her hands on his lips and gently he kissed them making Ji hyo giggle. Ji hyo thought he was right after all, Foundation week was really fun.

 


Oh boy, memories. This was based on an event during my senior year in highschool, unfortunately we didn't end up dating hahaha 

-I am sorry if I haven't worked on the requests. I am terrible and I am really sorry :(