Meeting, first half

Fan Non-fiction

프니엘: After two days of what he still calls up to now as “sick leave” maknae finally comes back with radiance evident in his face that probably must have been caused by something very much important, as if he had succeeded in something. I have just discovered that he is to return today, and it excites me a little that my favorite is finally coming back home. “What time is he coming?” I ask Eunkwang-hyung, who seems to be busy with something I forgot what it’s called.

“This afternoon; he says he has to drop by somewhere,” he answers, looking at me.

I nod my head, thinking where could that be, and think of what questions I’m going to ask him when he returns; where he went, what he did there, and whatnot. After lunch we are scheduled to go to dance practice and Minhyuk-hyung’s a little uncomfortable because he has no idea where Sungjae is. We’re now preparing our things and he asks manager-hyung, “Hyung, where’s Sungjae? Is he going to practice?”

“He is,” the other answers. “He will just follow, he said.”

It’s already 2 pm and we’re already quite spent, we’ve been practicing for an hour already, and Sungjae still hasn’t come. It’s getting a little bothering now. He’s the front of the first verse and also the second verse, and the choreography is not complete without him.

I rise from my seat and am about to get something outside when just before my hand touches the knob, the door swings open by itself and there he is, our maknae whom we have been waiting for.

“Peniel-hyung!” he blithely exclaims, a tad excited than how it should be.

“Sungjae! Where have you been?” I say, as we cling to one another for a brief hug for a greeting. When he pulls out he answers,

“I went to Busan.”

What?” a surprised Minhyuk-hyung instantly shoots up from his lain position on the floor and goes to us. “Busan? How on earth did you get to Busan?”

“I flew, hyung. I flew,” maknae laughs, and the sarcasm is easily covered by the pleasantness of his chortle. “I was there to…settle matters.”

“What kind of matters?” Hyunsik-hyung joins in, chugging down a bottle of energy drink.

One by one, we start to flock around Sungjae and interrogate him like an overly-curious mob.

“Certain matters.” Maknae answers, still with a smile. Before Eunkwag-hyung could open his mouth to ask another question Sungjae notions, tapping our backs with a push, “Let’s get going,”

And we never had the chance to ask him again what his business was.

Three days later, I find myself staring at the view outside our dorm. All of a sudden a wave of curiosity hits me, and, though I know that the weather’s cold outside, I still have the desire to go out.

“Hyung?” I sit beside Eunkwang-hyung, ready with my inquiry.

“Yep?”

“Can I…can I go out?”

Hyung turns his head, his sight aimed at the nearest clock. “But Peniel, it’s eleven o’clock,”

“I really want to…” I sigh, and slowly stand up. “But if you won’t allow me well, it’s okay…”

“A-w-w-wait,” he grabs my wrist and I crack up a smile. “Fine,” he heaves a sigh. “You can go. But be back immediately, alright?”

I nod twice, rapidly. “Sure! I won’t go that far away,”

I’m about to get my jacket that’s on the hook of the stand when hyung adds, “And try to pick Sungjae up while you’re at it, can you?”

Surprised, I turn my head. “What?”

“Sungjae. That kid’s not home yet.” hyung furrows his brows, his voice deep in exasperation. “I’m more worried than annoyed, really,”

“Where did he go, anyway?”

“He said he was going to buy something…” the answer comes from Minhyuk-hyung whom I didn’t notice a while ago. While he flips another page in his work-sheets he adds, “He even said he’ll be back immediately. But if I’m not mistaken, he’s been gone for nine hours.”

“He could beat a working professional,” Changsub-hyung sniggers.

“Anyone has an idea where he is?” I query, looking around the room and reopen the curtain to reveal the yellow-colored road below the building.

They synchronize shrugging their shoulders.

“Okay, then,” my shoulders sag, a little sad because my favorite’s seemingly missing. I insert my arms into the sleeves of my jacket and walk towards the door.

“Peniel-hyung?” before I could close the door behind me a voice calls out, and I glance my head to the direction where the corridor stretches. There he is.

“Sungjae.”

“Where are you going?” he asks, and I let a moment pass to study him. There’s his hair—not in its usual arranged place; he looks haggard and tired, and he looks like he was mauled by an animal.

“Out. To look for you.” I plainly answer. Then a feeling of slight ire churns in me, that I say to him, making my voice obviously serious, “The next time, tell us where you’re going, alright; not that you’re going anywhere you want. At least we know where to find you,”

He just laughs.

“Sungjae.” I make it come out as a snort of reproach. “Seriously,”

“Alright, alright,” he lowers his head a little. “Sorry, hyung.”

“It’s okay,” I tap his shoulder twice, and walk past him. “I’ll be back immediately,”

“Where are you going?”

“Outside, apparently,”

“Be back immediately, alright?” he teases.

I snicker. “Shut up.” As I walk away I subtly wave an arm. “See you,”